Zoe Saldana to play Nina Simone - Update: Pics of Zoe on set as Nina.

What are you umming? Much like Rashida Jones (who is only black when it benefits her), she has a white build, white features, is lighter skinned and primarily dates white men.

Me either.
And idk why people get upset about her not having black men as her leading man in her movies....there's nothing black (African American) about Zoe Saldana, she's completely hispanic

“When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, “¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?” (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don’t understand it, and it’s the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, “Yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman.”) [They go,] “Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita.” (“Oh no, you are ‘dark skinned’”) I’m like, “No! Let’s get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman).”

Last edited:
Me either.
And idk why people get upset about her not having black men as her leading man in her movies....there's nothing black (African American) about Zoe Saldana, she's completely hispanic

The problem people have is that she plays black/african american women on screen, and even in those roles she don't mess with black guys.

She doesn't consider herself a black woman but has no problem playing one on screen.........as long as she doesn't have to kiss a black dude. She why black people would be upset.

On the one hand, I don't want them casting a weaker actress just because she's more similar in appearance. Of course, on the other hand, Hollywood white washing actors is a problem that needs correcting.

Amen. This is disgusting. Kimberly Elise would CRUSH this role.

Edit: “My mother was raised at a time when she was told her nose was too wide, her skin was too dark,” Kelly told the Times, adding that Saldana should not play the role because "appearance-wise this is not the best choice.”

The irony :lol: I hate America.

Last edited:
The problem people have is that she plays black/african american women on screen, and even in those roles she don't mess with black guys.
She doesn't consider herself a black woman but has no problem playing one on screen.........as long as she doesn't have to kiss a black dude. She why black people would be upset.

What movie has she played a black woman? I can't think of anything other than Death at a Funeral

You serious? Colombiana was the only movie where she played a Hispanic. Have you ever seen drumline, guess who, the losers, etc?

What movie has she played a black woman? I can't think of anything other than Death at a Funeral

[COLOR=#red]Drumline bro. In that movie she was just another good looking black chick that went to a black college. Of course she was a new actress then...this was before she got noticed by big Hollywood, now she rolls with the Goslings of the world. They kinda did the same thing with Rosario Dawson. She was just the around the way Nuyorican Boriqua in He's Got Game when she started out...now she slimmed up and is a Hollywood starlet. I'm not against career progression or anything...just stating the facts.[/COLOR]

Zoe Saldana makes no sense at all. For one as far as I know she cant sing. Secondly she looks nothing like Nina Simone. This isn't an issue about semantics like in hunger games. It pretty much is a complete lie in terms of portrayal .... Personally I wouldn't watch the movie if it even comes out at all. I expect actors/actresses that do biographical films of musicians to atleast either be able to play and/or sing the music they are portraying.

this.

Who's the white guy that will play the lead main role/love interest?

...what you did there, i giggled at it.

In Guess Who and Star Trek

At the start of her career she did have black male love interest, but now she blown up it like she ain't down for it.

Did you all hear what Nina's daughter had to say about this?
She mentions Kimberly Elise. She would be PERFECT for that role.
http://thegrio.com/2012/08/22/nina-...dana-in-mothers-biopic-we-were-ignored/#bmb=1

Kimberly elise just doesnt have the star power. Not saying she would be bad, but depending on the studio, they probably wanted a notable actress

Uhh, have you not seen her quotes where she considers herself a black woman. Just because she likes white guys doesnt mean shes not black.

Never saw Guess Who completely forgot she was in Drumline....oh well none of that really matters. She's a good actress

Kimberly elise just doesnt have the star power. Not saying she would be bad, but depending on the studio, they probably wanted a notable actress
Uhh, have you not seen her quotes where she considers herself a black woman. Just because she likes white guys doesnt mean shes not black.

Zoe considers herself a Latina. I have never read a quote of her saying she doesn't consider herself black, but many latinos of African descent don't consider themselves black.

Her liking white dudes means nothing, true. But for the past couple years she has played African American women on screen and each time her love interest was white.

I'm not say I have a problem with it, I'm saying that's why others have a problem wit her, especially now she is going to be playing such a famous African American woman. And the cycle will continue, she won't have a black love interest in this movie too

Last edited:
Zoe considers herself a Latina. I have never read a quote of her saying she doesn't consider herself black, but many latinos of African descent don't consider themselves black.

Her liking white dudes means nothing, true. But for the past couple years she has played African American women on screen and each time her love interest was white.

I'm not say I have a problem with it, I'm saying that's why others have a problem wit her, especially now she is going to be playing such a famous African American woman. And the cycle will continue, she won't have a black love interest in this movie too
“When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, “¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?” (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don’t understand it, and it’s the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, “Yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman.”) [They go,] “Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita.” (“Oh no, you are ‘dark skinned’”) I’m like, “No! Let’s get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman).”

Last edited:
While I don't think she's ideal for this role, how does she not look black? There are thin black women...

i thought she was Dominican? That clearly disqualifies her for this role, right? 
nerd.gif

Knowing Zoe Saldana it'll probably be Ryan Gosling.
But Nina Simone was married to a white guy at one point

Never knew that.

For everyone curious about the lead man, in the article I posted, it states the love interest will be played by David Oyelowo, a black actor.

Last edited:
Shoot, they had Mary J Blige cast as Nina Simone prior to this. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I remember eyebrows were raised when Jamie Fox (aka crazy George) was cast in Ray.

I'd feel more confident if the film had a capable director helming the flick but it looks like the script writer Cynthia Mort is going to direct which is her first time.

I like David Oyelowo though, he was in The Last King Of Scotland right?

Hey_

I have a problem with this.

After reading the criticism from Simone, Nina's daughter, I strongly agree they should cast an individual that has features akin to Eunice Waymon.

And while I agree Kimberly Elise would do a great job, my first thought on casting ran to Lauryn Hill.

Julius F. Wrek

Back
Top Bottom