∞HBO: "True Detective: Night Country" (Late 2023)...Season 4 Set in Alaska…Starring Jodie Foster…Barry Jenkins Producing∞

How would you grade Season II of "True Detective" ?

• A

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
S1 was legendary
Only watched 1 episode of S2
S3 was good enough but the individual performances were better than the sum
This is exactly how I feel about each season. 3 dragged so hard it was a chore tbh

What you said about 3 is exactly how I predict 4 will be, holding out hope for myself though lol

I’ve been holding out hope (perhaps senseless) that a season would compare

Idc what anyone says none of em been good man since 1

But I’m glad people still enjoyed the others. Hbo went to trash imo a while back .. only a few good series recently

I thought S3 was pretty good, but nothing that would make me really want to come back to it.

S2 is just an odd mix to me. I’ll keep watching, but I don’t remember the first episode being so convoluted. It’s hard to follow and it doesn’t really draw you in. And while I don’t think Vince Vaughn was as bad as folks were saying, he seemed out of his depth. I kinda caught that when it aired live, but a rewatch really makes it stand out. Even my wife who never saw it said “this guy?” when VV appeared on screen. :lol:

I didn’t like all the flashing back in S3…. don’t remember a thing about S2 except Vince Vaughn in a desert and Taylor Kitsch having a pill prob. I hope, and think, Jodie Foster will be amazing, it’s already getting good reviews. And let’s hope it’s linear storytelling because they’re not Tarantino.

It was, technically that Season 1 also definitely was non-linear like S3, McConaghey in the room talking about how time is a circle and the beers, etc.

The difference on non-linear between that and Season 3 was old Mahershala had memory problems, or dementia, whatever it was. And I get how it’s him dealing with that while trying to re-solve a case but I just didn’t like watching this old man struggle with his memory :lol:

Season 1 was lightning in a bottle.

EXACTLY.

If you want another season 1 I suggest you try a different series.

If S2 or 3 went by another name but True Detectives I really think y’all’s opinions on the shows would be completely different.

I wonder how people would like Mare of Easttown if it was called True Detective Season 4.

Jodie Foster doesn’t just enter into something anymore, this tells me it’s good. Also the first girl I made out with was during 2005’s Flight Plan so I love Jodie Foster.

He’s saying S1 was the only good season which I agree with, but I think S4 will change that.

Or also they caught McConaghey at the perfect time (Dallas Buyer’s Club) and one year earlier Woody killed it in Zombieland. Also they got Daddario early.

Lightning in a bottle sort of implies luck or overachieving. I disagree. Woody and MM are rarely in anything low quality. Writing was excellent also.

It was just hard to follow up. I agree with that. I personally didn’t give 2 a fair shake.

And good ones, but many are not great. No hate. I think Fool’s Gold is good :lol:

Killer Joe
Beach Bum
The Sea of Trees
Gold
Serenity
Failure To Launch
Texas Chainsaw spin-off

Lightning in a bottle, as in they caught McConaghey and Woody at a perfect time. MM in a top-tier Oscar movie and TV stage of his career, simultaneously (uncommon then), and Woody had a revival.

Lightning in a bottle sort of implies luck or overachieving. I disagree. Woody and MM are rarely in anything low quality. Writing was excellent also.

It was just hard to follow up. I agree with that. I personally didn’t give 2 a fair shake.
i took it as saying szn 1 was so good it was like catching lightning in a bottle. it was special and won’t happen again so the following szns are unfairly compared to szn 1.

the more i think about it the more i tend to agree with this reasoning since it’s a new cast and story every szn. but with that said, szn 2 was bad to me and szn 3 was good not great. acting was a1 in szn 3 but the story fell short for me.

MM before doing TD1 was known for only doing rom coms. He was type cast and he was trying to reset that. TD1 helped him actually prove that.

Nah he had done Lincoln Lawyer, Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, U-571, Wolf of Wall Street, A Time to Kill, Contact, Newton Boys. He showed his chops plenty before TD and was well established.

This…The guy won an academy award on the same exact night episode 7 of TD was airing 🤷‍♂️

The rom-com stuff was solidly behind him by that point…I mean the last one he’d made before TD was all the way back in 2009…

Back
Top Bottom