∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

Last 10 min was the best hot boyz video ive ever seen...

All jokes aside, that was a hell of an episode. The amount of drugs Cohle was doing :wow:

How they pulled off the final shot.
MTV
[h1]'True Detective': How Did They Pull Off That Final Shot?[/h1][h2]Director Cary Fukunaga walks us through the epic six-minute take.[/h2]
By Kevin P. Sullivan (@KPSull)

Four episodes into its run on HBO, "True Detective" is earning the kind of high praise usually saved for drama series with two or three seasons under their belts, thanks to its stunning visuals, pitch-black worldview and career-best performances from Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. Cary Fukunaga helmed each installment of the eight-episode run, and his careful direction has been a key factor in "True Detective's" success, even if it's not as apparent as Harrelson's and McConaughey's acting.

But if you watched the fourth episode, "Who Goes There," tonight on HBO, by the end, it's likely you are very aware of just how good Cary Fukunaga is.

MILD SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 4 AHEAD

Before reaching the halfway point of the series, Fukunaga decided to end the episode with a six-minute oner, or long take, that follows Cohle into a heist inside a housing project, through a number of shootouts, outside to escape from swarming police, through another house, over a fence and finally into Hart's car. It's the kind of incredible shot that's worth watching again and again to catch every detail in it and further blurs the line between television and film.

To find out how he pulled off the complex sequence, I reached out to Fukunaga to see if he would walk me through the planning and execution of the best "True Detective" scene yet.

Off the bat, it's important to know that the oner is nothing new to Fukunaga. Having used the technique in both of his feature films, "Sin Nombre" and "Jane Eyre," Fukunaga signed onto "True Detective" knowing that he wanted to include a long take at some point, because he considers it a tenser kind of directing. "The best ones, you don't even realize that they're oners," Fukunaga said. "They're the most first-person experience you can get in a film."

Reading Nic Pizzolatto's script for "Who Goes There," Fukunaga knew almost immediately that the heist was the scene to make his oner. All he had to do was convince the entire crew that it wasn't impossible to pull off.

To cover as much ground as he wanted to in the sequence, Fukunaga needed to shoot in an actual housing project, and that was the first complication in planning the oner. It took weeks to even get permission to film on-location, but once received it, Fukunaga went straight into mapping the shot and finding "the most interesting path, but also the most logical path" for Cohle to escape with Ginger. That interesting and logical path eventually takes Cohle and Ginger over a chain-link fence, a maneuver that proved to be the most complicated of the intricate sequence.

Watching just the fences portion of the oner back, the camera floats over the high barrier in a movement that almost looks effortless. Getting the shot, however, was anything but. Because the location was an actual housing project, the "True Detective" crew wasn't allowed to take down any portion of the fence, so they had to improvise. "At one point, we were going to build a ramp, and the operator was going to walk up it," Fukunaga said. "But that wasn't very safe." The solution ended up involving placing the Steadicam operator on an elevated jib, or a weighted crane, which carried him over the fence and back down to earth.

Once the camera movements were figured out, the production carefully choreographed everything that had to happen in front of the lens with the help of a stunt team led by Mark Norby, who personally worked with McConaughey to develop a fighting style for Cohle. The crew even built a replica of the stash house for the stunt team to practice in before the big shoot.

"We had ADs [assistant directors] all over the neighborhood because we had to release extras, crowd running background, police cars, stunt drivers. There were actual gun shots and stones being thrown through windows. There were a lot of things to put together," Fukunaga said. "Even the action, the stunt sequences were complicated. We're working on a television schedule. It isn't like a film where you can spend a lot of time working the stunts out with the actors. We only had a day and a half to get Matthew and everyone else on the same page."

All told, the sequence clocks in at around six minutes. Fukunaga and the crew ran through the whole thing seven times while the cameras were rolling. The director built in possible edit points if two takes had to be combined to make the perfect version of the shot, but anyone who is wondering should know that the sequence everyone saw in the episode is, in fact, a true single take and one of the great achievements of filmmaking for television.

Did not even realize as I was watching that the last six minutes was a one-take :x :pimp: .

Matthew McConaughey is at the top of his game right now. That dude is remindung fools just who he is...

That last 6 minutes was a one-take!? Jesus ****, thats insane.

Such a good episode. Need to go back and watch the others to see what I've been missing in the storyline.

Even though the storyline is still slow-ish, its been speeding up episode by episode. The last 4 episodes of this series is going to be wild.

:pimp:

Matthew McConaughey is at the top of his game right now. That dude is remindung fools just who he is...
He started his film career off pretty well with amazing films/supporting cast.

This show is only going to elevate him even more into one of the GOAT actors.

He and Harrelson did the right thing by taking on these roles. The next two actors have big shoes to fill (and it's only halfway through this season, haha).

Probably the most epic ending to a non finale series i have ever witnessed. Holy ****

Matt has become my favorite actor. Holy ****

Literally still sitting here watching that final scene again like View media item 793416

Last edited:
When I found out that this is going to be an anthology, before the series aired, I already started thinking the next cast for S2 will have a hard task to match the performances of Matt and Woody.

ill

The only questionable part of that final scene was rust taking out the big dude with the baseball bat

When he was on the ground, rust punched him in the back and big homie grabbed his head :lol:

Other than that it was amazing. Props to ginger on the stunt work

This episode really didn't even advance the plot much, just gave the show a healthy dose of adrenaline

Drugs, strippers, and shootouts :smokin

Damn Daddario really ****** things up for Martin :lol: :smh:

"With all that **** swagger you can't spot crazy *****?" :rofl:

I could watch a sitcom about Rust and Martin living in the same house :lol:

That ending was insane :lol: :smokin :smh: :wow: Started a wild shootout war over a connect to find LeDeux. I like how Rust just said **** it and beat the **** out these dudes and took guy out of that war zone.

Last edited:
Amazing episode.

My sister walked in and was like "why is Matthrew McConaughey doing TV?"

Just shows how the gap between TV and film has lessened. I feel like I can say that good TV is comparable to good film nowadays, maybe even better because there's more time to develop plot and characters.

When I found out that this is going to be an anthology, before the series aired, I already started thinking the next cast for S2 will have a hard task to match the performances of Matt and Woody.
Since Woody and Matt are executive producers and don't normally do t.v. I can see them tapping some friends who usually only do movies for this. I'd love to see some more a-list talent and uncommon pairs put together for other seasons.

Since Woody and Matt are executive producers and don't normally do t.v. I can see them tapping some friends who usually only do movies for this. I'd love to see some more a-list talent and uncommon pairs put together for other seasons.

Watching Idris elba in luther, him in this show would be insane.

"You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a *****" :lol:

i literally loled when i heard this. Like **** does that even mean :lol:

the editing towards the end of the episode definitely reminded me of that long Children of Men scene. Brilliant editing in this show.

Last edited:
:wow: That last sequence was insanity, about as crazy as anything i've seen in film or tv. That was like a mix of training day and children of men I couldnt breathe at all

Last edited:

Watching Idris elba in luther, him in this show would be insane.
:pimp: Exactly

Don't wanna get too hype. If they let Idris do his thing with the Luther like performances :wow:

The force is strong with director Cary Fukunaga & cinematographer Adam Arkapaw... This show is shot beautifully. Episode #4 was one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen & then to top it off with that single take 6 minute end was incredible. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I just hope the rest of the episodes are worthy of what we've seen already.

One thing I didn't like was them playing BDP in the one scene... :rolleyes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom