⚽️The Footy Thread: German Super Cup, International Champions Cup, Copa Libertadores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly, but the NBA is at least a league where the players hold power.

The players make the club. A mentality that of “no player is bigger than the club” sounds like some **** an NFL owner would say to keep his players in line

I personally just can’t and never will get down with that way of thinking.

I personally think it’s disrespectful to the players. One of if not arguably the greatest player the sport has ever seen, still overshadowed by the crest on his kit?

Nah. I ain’t ever heard someone say the Chicago Bulls were bigger than Michael Jordan

The greatest players of damn near every generation played for Barca and Madrid, and they all left. Did the clubs become irrelevant?

Liverpool D looking stout as hell after being a major issue for the last few years. VERY good to see.

(Currently knocking on all the woods)

The greatest players of damn near every generation played for Barca and Madrid, and they all left. Did the clubs become irrelevant?

That was never my point.

When did I say Madrid would become irrelevant?

Quote me word for word saying “Madrid is irrelevant now that Ronaldo is gone”

Quote me saying anything that even resembled that.

So just because a player is (in my opinion) larger than the club he played for that means said club is irrelevant?

That was never my point.

When did I say Madrid would become irrelevant?

Quote me word for word saying “Madrid is irrelevant now that Ronaldo is gone”

Quote me saying anything that even resembled that.

So just because a player is (in my opinion) larger than the club he played for that means said club is irrelevant?

Irrelevant was probably the wrong word, I exaggerate a lot when I type/talk :lol:

What I meant is: take Di Stefano for example. He helped Real dominate the CL for an entire era and was one of the greatest players of that time and in history. RM did not fall off in popularity at all post Di Stefano. They remained one of the most followed clubs on earth for decades despite not winning CLs for a loooong time

You can replace this example with Cruyff, Maradona, OG Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho..countless contenders for the GOATs in their positions while also having massive popularity

RM won FIFA club of the century for the 1900s.

They had a period of winning 5 straight CLs before.

Even if you take away all the CLs CR7 won here, we’d still have more than any other club at 9. Milan have 7, and next is Bayern, Barca, and Liverpool at 5.

Right before CR, the likes of Zidane, Beckham, Figo, and OG Ronaldo wore the all white.

CR is the best player in Madrid history, but compare his supporting cast to Messi’s during the threepeat. It’s a team where Isco or Bale are benched and James couldn’t even make the roster for the CL final.

RM have hundreds of millions of galactico funds saved.

As much as CR has done for RM, he’s not bigger than the club considering he's not even as important as egomaniac Florentino Perez to its history.

But if we believe a certain guy here the next 10 CLs will all be won by either Juve or Wolves.

Irrelevant was probably the wrong word, I exaggerate a lot when I type/talk :lol:

What I meant is: take Di Stefano for example. He helped Real dominate the CL for an entire era and was one of the greatest players of that time and in history. RM did not fall off in popularity at all post Di Stefano.
I get that, but my initial post has zero to do with history, who supporters support, or anything of that nature. I simply said the club goofed and he should have retired in Spain a legend.

Madrid goofed by letting their greatest player ever walk. To a potential CL contender at that. Barcelona does everything in their power to keep Messi happy, to sign new contracts, to stay and play for the club because they realize how major of a factor he is to the club.

Ronaldo has come out many times a spoken on how he felt Madrid as a club doesn’t protect or value him. ****, even the fans disrespected the man, after all he’s given the club.

And to still say “no player is bigger than the club” after the guy has shattered records, added trophies to the cabinet, and not only become the face of the franchise but basically the face of the entire sport, is basically a slap on the back of the neck.

I just hope Madrid fans keep that same energy when Juve knocks them out if the CL and Barca lift the domestic title.

Life going to come at them real fast.

Ask any random non footy watching person on the street what club the Madrid badge is for and they’ll draw a blank. Show them a picture of Cristiano and they’ll know him by name. (If not they’ll call him Messi)

That’s the definition of being bigger than the club

Y’all talking all this other stuff. But keep it a buck. World Cup just passed and damn near everyone in my office knew who Messi Ronaldo and Neymar were but couldn’t tell you what team they played for

:lol: For a supporter of P$G, y'all better worry when Mbappe realizes how poisonous the club environment is at Paris and leaves for Real.

northoaklandfc northoaklandfc come in here and explain this b

At first glance the twitter thread seems like it explains itself, I've always said similar, the geography of the United States presents such a range of climate extremes that no other league in Europe has to deal with (the intitial tweet is basically click bait - no **** the average winter temp is warmer in MLS than the EPL, you yourself basically live on the equator).

There are still an abundance of ways to mitigate the effect of extreme winter weather in a couple of cities has on league play though, and a Fall-Spring calendar would be more than worth any negatives incurred due to winter weather. It's a no brainer from a sporting perspective but like @psk said, MLS owners have conflicted interest i.e. they're not in the professional soccer business, they're a business in professional soccer.

:lol: For a supporter of P$G, y'all better worry when Mbappe realizes how poisonous the club environment is at Paris and leaves for Real.

And when he does you won’t catch me saying “no player is bigger than the club”

You better just hope he actually chooses y’all and doesn’t decide to go to Barca :lol:

It’s going to take a lot more than Asensio and Benzema to attract him there

Of course because you will be supporting some other tinpot club with oil sheikh money

Better than picking a club where the trophies were already in the cabinet when I got there

I’ve seen PSG win more trophies in 4 years than you’ll probably ever get to see Madrid win now that Cristiano is gone

:lol: no one disputing that Coupe

Well it should be. Because you guys are living in some type of los blancos denial if you think Florentino doesn’t use the propaganda machine to have you “Madridistas” believe the ridiculous argument “club is more important than player”.

That ridiculously stupid and obvious argument comes direct from Flo and his minions, and it’s a weak argument.

And for flyeed flyeed I have Barcelona winning the champions league, not Juve or Wolves.

RM won FIFA club of the century for the 1900s.

They had a period of winning 5 straight CLs before.

Even if you take away all the CLs CR7 won here, we’d still have more than any other club at 9. Milan have 7, and next is Bayern, Barca, and Liverpool at 5.

Right before CR, the likes of Zidane, Beckham, Figo, and OG Ronaldo wore the all white.

CR is the best player in Madrid history, but compare his supporting cast to Messi’s during the threepeat. It’s a team where Isco or Bale are benched and James couldn’t even make the roster for the CL final.

RM have hundreds of millions of galactico funds saved.

As much as CR has done for RM, he’s not bigger than the club considering he's not even as important as egomaniac Florentino Perez to its history.

But if we believe a certain guy here the next 10 CLs will all be won by either Juve or Wolves.

PRIME PRIME you seem to have missed this post

and here's what a player being bigger than a club actually looks like

78F675ED-04D3-4891-B970-8B01975C8581.jpeg

73E65DBD-6D3F-425B-96FE-F84EA805F482.jpeg

Better than picking a club where the trophies were already in the cabinet when I got there

I’ve seen PSG win more trophies in 4 years than you’ll probably ever get to see Madrid win now that Cristiano is gone
:lol: You gotta be mad if you think Real Madrid won't win anything major this decade

Well it should be. Because you guys are living in some type of los blancos denial if you think Florentino doesn’t use the propaganda machine to have you “Madridistas” believe the ridiculous argument “club is more important than player”.

That ridiculously stupid and obvious argument comes direct from Flo and his minions, and it’s a weak argument.

And for flyeed flyeed I have Barcelona winning the champions league, not Juve or Wolves.
That's interesting because the Barca board said that same phrase when Neymar left to Paris. Everyone other than Barca supporters said they weren't going to win anything substantial when he left that same season, and next thing they do is get a domestic double.

PRIME PRIME you seem to have missed this post

and here's what a player being bigger than a club actually looks like

78F675ED-04D3-4891-B970-8B01975C8581.jpeg

73E65DBD-6D3F-425B-96FE-F84EA805F482.jpeg

Yeah, aren’t those first 5 the same 5 that many people feel should be revoked?

So if we factor in the first 5 farmers cups y’all won back in the 50’s and the 4 Ronaldo won, y’all really sitting on 4 CL titles

And it’s no secret Neymar is holding Paris hostage, but y’all mans in charge ready to throw 300m’s at us for him.

Neymar payed his own release clause to come to paris. Y’all ready to pay 300 for him. Who’s bigger than who in this scenario?

:lol: You gotta be mad if you think Real Madrid won't win anything major this decade

Mad? RM were waiting for La Decima for 13 years bro, THIRTEEN YEARS.......

Billionaire owners weren’t even around the last time they had won 2001(before la decima).

Now you got wayyyy more competition and money being flung around than ever....

Y’all can easily go into a CL drought, are you kidding me?

Prime actually says he wants Neymar gone....

Here’s the irony tho, your presidente wants to bring him to Real Madrid for 300 million euros....

:rofl: :rofl:

As much as you have a strange personal vendetta against Flo and Real now, Florentino is a god of a president and businessman. Not perfect, but still genius. I disliked him until reading The Real Madrid Way, and most of what he’s done since coming onto the scene pulling the finesse of your fellow countrymen Figo from Barcelona, in an amazing calculated gamble, has been brilliant.

Mad? RM were waiting for La Decima for 13 years bro, THIRTEEN YEARS.......

Billionaire owners weren’t even around the last time they had won 2001(before la decima).

Now you got wayyyy more competition and money being flung around than ever....

Y’all can easily go into a CL drought, are you kidding me?
I wasn't talking about CL, PRIME PRIME brought up he has seen domestic trophies in his 4 years of fanhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom