⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLS can be very good and fun (ATL, Toronto, LAFC, Portland :nerd: ) or very bad and boring (Colorado, San Jose, DCU). Quality is obviously less than the big 5 leagues, but even those have some terrible play.

I support MLS because I want domestic footy in the US to be good one day, but I'd definitely recommend Prem League, La Liga, Champions, etc to new footy fans first. My son is starting to play so I want to support his passion by bringing him to live matches, even if it means it's sub par in comparison the top leagues.

One of my cousins visiting from Germany is actually from Munchen and has kicked it with some Bayern players a bunch of times

Said Boateng is very arrogant and sounds extremely dumb when he speaks, and Ribery can drink a lot and he's the one that he's seen out the most.
The same Ribery that refuses to do beer ads for Oktoberfest and got upset when players celebrated winning the league by dumping beer on each other?

I support MLS because I want domestic footy in the US to be good one day, but I'd definitely recommend Prem League, La Liga, Champions, etc to new footy fans first. My son is starting to play so I want to support his passion by bringing him to live matches, even if it means it's sub par in comparison the top leagues.
I think when it comes to the perception of MLS, the criticism is a bit hyperbolic for the most part.

As a product it is by no means a top league in the world. But it is pretty solid and been getting better for awhile now; both of these can be true at the same time and it feels like it gets lost alot when the league is discussed.

It's an acquired taste and it can be very entertaining.

I'd honestly rather watch nothing than watch MLS. There are worse leagues in terms overall talent, but I've seen very few games where the basic skills are so terrible. Passing, keeping possession, touch, etc. are very lacking even compared to some average leagues in Europe and Asia

One of my cousins visiting from Germany is actually from Munchen and has kicked it with some Bayern players a bunch of times

Said Boateng is very arrogant and sounds extremely dumb when he speaks, and Ribery can drink a lot and he's the one that he's seen out the most.
Have Heard his half brother who plays in Ghana is much nicer in person

I'd honestly rather watch nothing than watch MLS. There are worse leagues in terms overall talent, but I've seen very few games where the basic skills are so terrible. Passing, keeping possession, touch, etc. are very lacking even compared to some average leagues in Europe and Asia
I mean, I think perhaps you're projecting our anti-American soccer mentality on MLS... (and rightfully so, I'm all for anti-American sentiment)

but the majority of the league has been starting predominantly foreign lineups and many of these players are either from established leagues around the world or are up and coming southern American footballing nations. I don't see these players as lacking basic skills

The same Ribery that refuses to do beer ads for Oktoberfest and got upset when players celebrated winning the league by dumping beer on each other?

Ay that’s what he told me. Going to see him again tomorrow and I’ll ask him what he’s gotta say about it

Either he or Ribery are full of it :lol:

I mean, I think perhaps you're projecting our anti-American soccer mentality on MLS... (and rightfully so, I'm all for anti-American sentiment)

but the majority of the league has been starting predominantly foreign lineups and many of these players are either from established leagues around the world or are up and coming southern American footballing nations. I don't see these players as lacking basic skills

No, it has nothing to do with that. Why would I use that reasoning for MLS if I still watch other primarily American sports like basketball?

I know you and few others here support the big LA teams. Outside of a handful of players from those two clubs and couple others here and there like Giovinco, I've only seen the rejects from Latin America and Americans who can't pass or dribble with skill compared to other leagues. I've gone to live matches where I was bored to death with the one or two average Latino players/retirees being the only ones able to pass to the same team. Everything else just seems too random and chaotic. "Let me boot the ball in that direction and hope someone gets to it" 100x over

No, it has nothing to do with that. Why would I use that reasoning for MLS if I still watch other primarily American sports like basketball?

I know you and few others here support the big LA teams. Outside of a handful of players from those two clubs and couple others here and there like Giovinco, I've only seen the rejects from Latin America and Americans who can't pass or dribble with skill compared to other leagues. I've gone to live matches where I was bored to death with the one or two average Latino players/retirees being the only ones able to pass to the same team. Everything else just seems too random and chaotic. "Let me boot the ball in that direction and hope someone gets to it" 100x over
fair play man, I appreciate you at least expounding on your experiences of giving MLS a go.

I still disagree that MLS is completely unwatchable to the degree in which you describe it. I think there's actually a decent number of in their prime foreign players in the league, and also a surprising amount of young domestic players that are just getting their start in their pro careers.

Is there the occasional dud of a game? of course. Do the "good" MLS games play exactly in the way the pure beautiful games are played? Not exactly.

But I don't think that detracts away from MLS being worth a watch of entertainment. Like I originally posted, the league is an acquired taste.

I casually watched footy in ‘86 & started watching it hardcore starting ‘90. Watched mls casually during this period & then I decided to watch it hardcore for 2 years not too long ago. I even got the league pass both years. I came to the realization it’s a crap league with absolutely terrible terrible play throughout the majority of the league. It’s a shame Giovinco is the greatest player to ever grace the league but it seems like that pos garber & his cronies like to shun him whenever they can. Eff garber & his niffle (nfl) brethen... I also find it reprehensible how the teams are singling out their Latino supporter groups league wide. Surprised that’s not getting more publicity than it is.

MLS is served to you on a platter tho espn/fs1, I couldn't tell you what channel MX is on
Liga MX is on one of the most watched networks in America, Univision

if you want to argue the popularity of MLS, we can certainly pivot to that. And fwiw theres not much to defend with.

But the original point of contention was MLS being a crap league

Liga MX is on one of the most watched networks in America, Univision

if you want to argue the popularity of MLS, we can certainly pivot to that. And fwiw theres not much to defend with.

But the original point of contention was MLS being a crap league
I was gonna say, Univision is very accessible especially when you live in a majority Latino area.

And the irony is that MLS finally figured out that broadcasting their games on Univision was actually a good idea recently

I was gonna say, Univision is very accessible especially when you live in a majority Latino area.

And the irony is that MLS finally figured out that broadcasting their games on Univision was actually a good idea recently
This is prob a poor time to bring it up, but I’m almost positive the numbers for USMNT match viewership have Univision>ESPN & FS1 as well

I casually watched footy in ‘86 & started watching it hardcore starting ‘90. Watched mls casually during this period & then I decided to watch it hardcore for 2 years not too long ago. I even got the league pass both years. I came to the realization it’s a crap league with absolutely terrible terrible play throughout the majority of the league. It’s a shame Giovinco is the greatest player to ever grace the league but it seems like that pos garber & his cronies like to shun him whenever they can. Eff garber & his niffle (nfl) brethen... I also find it reprehensible how the teams are singling out their Latino supporter groups league wide. Surprised that’s not getting more publicity than it is.
Why are the singling our their Latino fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom