⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this can lead to at least a small discussion

1615042811716.png

1615042793859.png

Makes sense to me. Can’t really make the league anymore just because you’re big. Need to be skilled. Teams aren’t really rostering dudes just because they are 7ft.

Small players are probably now bigger defensive liabilities than ever with how modern offenses work. Need to be incredibly skilled offensively in order to make up for it.

But I think this disproves the assumption that the league has gotten bigger/taller over the years. I have heard many people make that claim for a few years now.
The league changing the traditional roles and being more positionless plays a factor too

guys like MCW in years past would be slotted as a SG/SF due to size but he’s naturally a PG

then you have say Thad Young, who’s 6’8 and the classic tweener in 07. But now he’s basically a C

Pretty much all the PFs of decades past would be Cs now. Teams play “traditional” 2s and 3s 2-4 now.

6’5”-6’8” is probably the sweet spot for most skill mixed with enough size not to get overpowered by the opposition. With how the modern game is played, most teams want to roster as many of those guys as possible, and can play 4-5 of them at a time.

No more stiffs like in the 90s to 2000s at the end of benches.
We’re kind of seeing it with Embiid & Zion but I would love to see what LA 300 pound Shaq would do today :lol:

Guys like Jason Collins were absolutely worthless, only in the league to foul Shaq 6 times.

Isn't the way the NBA playing now the way European league been playing? I remember during the Olympics when they started both melo & bron, they kept bringing up how they always have 4 perimeter guys out at all times. Anybody here watches the European league? Interested to hear about the league.

Orlando Shaq and Early LA Shaq before we got obese >>>> that’s basically a bigger Zion

Fat Shaq still gonna score but also getting roasted on defense

But I think this disproves the assumption that the league has gotten bigger/taller over the years. I have heard many people make that claim for a few years now.

Bigger/taller, no. More athletic and better conditioned, yes.

Isn't the way the NBA playing now the way European league been playing? I remember during the Olympics when they started both melo & bron, they kept bringing up how they always have 4 perimeter guys out at all times. Anybody here watches the European league? Interested to hear about the league.

I don't watch European league but I was able to watch a few and played with some local folks when I went to Europe many years ago. the system there is highly different than what I was used to play with typical U.S. basketball, flashy one on one games. I must say, most of them were deadly shooters that play team basketball rather than individuals. it is more like a football blueprint, lots of passing and looking for the open guy. it was a really high efficiency game with less chances for a miss and rebound. their handles though aren't as good as I was picking up pockets left and right, with a very few exceptions that are atleast decent enough.

in a way, the modern NBA and a few teams are fashioning itself to the European league as far as 3 point shooting efficiency is concerned. as far as teamplay efficiency, the modern NBA teams has to relearn that.

More athletic in the sense that (overall) bigger guys than in the past have better ball skills and coordination

not to mention, losing some oldschool post-up skills and midrange shooting. better athleticism and conditioning isn't always better than better fundamentals.

Players are faster more athletic now cause they are also leaner. Since the game now is more pace and space speed is more important than brute strength and mass

I never said he WAS.

I simply asked you if Conley continued playing the way he was playing at a certain time, how much longer would it be before people were allowed to speak of his decline.
You were simply being stubborn and not paying attention to what he was doing to end the regular season and also in The Bubble

You were simply being stubborn and not paying attention to what he was doing to end the regular season and also in The Bubble

I'm not sure which alternate universe you are referencing here but this is what actually happened. This was the only post I made in reference to COnley.

I have NEVER said Conley was washed.

I simply asked you WHEN people were allowed to say so.

Read the posts. You are making things up in your mind.

1615049994355.png

Last edited:
What are we basing more athletic on?

Flashiness of dunks?

Not at all.

EYE am firmly in the camp that believes there is much more to athleticism than just speed and leaping ability.

I think that in 2021, the average NBA players has a superior combination of speed/quickness/agility/dexterity than the average NBA player 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom