🎾 OFFICIAL AGASSI RETRO THREAD - ATC II 2024 Hot Lava and 2025 Pink Racer🎾

Same 05fordgt 05fordgt - though I’m just a year younger, I started paying attention shortly after the lava year and especially when ATC3 came into the picture. My best friend and his brother started handing me down their worn shoes when they got new ones and I was just fine with that - I had a free pair of lavas in 7th grade and soon found that other kids new what they were. But once I could earn money and buy my own, I quickly went through the Futures, LWP (teal), and Alarms during my JV and varsity years. Perfect timing for needing actual tennis shoes! Would love for those models to release again.

I'm the total opposite of you guys. 44, and been playing tennis since 1989 when I first saw a young kid with long hair on TV with style! He got me into playing and he showed me that you didn't have to wear all white and be part of some stuffy country club to enjoy this game!

Then I saw THE outfit in the end of 1989 when he unveiled the Hot Lava kit! That video we've seen when he was wearing an all white warmup and took it off and he had on the hot lava spandex under denim shorts, the lava and black shirt and the ATC II's in hot lava! That was such a cool time and video. People were cheering and honestly didn't know what to think of it, when they saw it the first time.

Was a cool video as they were talking to Ian Hamilton (the head of Nike Tennis at the time) about the new look and the spandex (which was only used by basketball players at the time. So glad I started playing. It's such an awesome sport to play and one that you can get REALLY good at. Not pro level, but good enough to really make you feel good about playing.

Is that video on the internet to watch? Would love to see that first time.

Shhh.. not me lol. I never into Tennis like that as a kid so I appreciate these. I figured Agassi was like the Jordan of Tennis (not sure if that's right) so seeing the wild stuff is GREAT.

I thought Jordan wasn't human in the 90s.

I don’t wanna get my Agassi thread pass revoked, and by no means is this slander, but tennis doesn't really have a Jordan.

Without a doubt, Agassi brought huge new cultural importance and style to the game, and he certainly broadened the fan base. But he didn’t have the same level of individual athletic dominance of a Jordan/Gretzky/Tiger etc.

Guys like Borg, Federer and Joker have had more Jordan-like careers, but without the same level of cultural influence. And even there, the fact that you can list three or four guys as potential GOAT means there isn’t a clear Jordan type.

To me, Agassi is more like a Griffey or Bo Jackson. One of the absolute all-time exciting players to watch, and hugely influential to the style of the game, but not the best player all-time. Just my thoughts

I don’t wanna get my Agassi thread pass revoked, and by no means is this slander, but tennis doesn't really have a Jordan.

Without a doubt, Agassi brought huge new cultural importance and style to the game, and he certainly broadened the fan base. But he didn’t have the same level of individual athletic dominance of a Jordan/Gretzky/Tiger etc.

Guys like Borg, Federer and Joker have had more Jordan-like careers, but without the same level of cultural influence. And even there, the fact that you can list three or four guys as potential GOAT means there isn’t a clear Jordan type.

To me, Agassi is more like a Griffey or Bo Jackson. One of the absolute all-time exciting players to watch, and hugely influential to the style of the game, but not the best player all-time. Just my thoughts

Your right about him except for one thing. He did have the BEST EVER return of serve. No one since has one that is so demoralizing to a big server who sees his rocket come right back past him faster than he served it. 👏

People talk about Djoker’s return of serve, but going back to these Agassi highlights cements him as best ever in that category. Are there career stats to back that kind of thing up?

In terms of raw talent I think Agassi had it all. It really wasn’t until later on in his career that he took it way more seriously. Even at 35 he had some chances to beat Federer at the US Open Final. Unfortunately the one thing that made things difficult for him was not having a dominant serve but yes in terrms of style and clothing he was the Jordan of tennis that inspired a new generation. He got young kids like myself to play for my high school and college team. When we were younger very few kids were into tennis until he came along. If Nadal can finish with the most slams I think most will regard him as the best. He dominated Federer in the slams at the peak of their careers.

Agassi absolutely is the Jordan of tennis just ask Phil knight....there is no nike like we know it today with out mike, bo, Andre, and tiger !!!

furthermore there wouldn't even been a Pete Sampras with out a guy like Andre pushing him...imagine how many more majors Pete would've had if not for Agassi as his adversary...prolly the new big 3 wouldn't even come close to that number...dont even get me started on the new balls and surfaces ... the game was much harder in the 80's and 90's....stats and numbers are meaningless...Jordan will always be the goat no matter what bron does ....MJ did what he did in half the time ...end of discussion ...same goes for this generation of tennis pros....they couldn't even cary Andre or Petes jock back then .... puh leaz !

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how you want to compare Agassi to Jordan.
He wasn't the same on a sporting level in terms of what MJ achieved... but on a cultural level... for the sport as a whole... like many have said, he and Nike made a huge impact. He made the sport more 'cool', more mainstream and shatter some of the stereotypes that were associated with it.

As for his RoS... it's hard to compare it with Djoker's cuz the game's so different now. Agassi faced a lot of S&V's, so it was all about returning early, fast and having the ball land low, by the server's feet when he's charging into the net. But for today's game, most guys are serving and staying back. Guys can afford to take a bit more time and directing the ball deep or at an angle. While Djoker might have a higher break-of-serve % than Agassi, I think Agassi's reflexes and hand-eye coordination is slightly better. He can take the ball earlier and do more with it.

Just stylin’ amongst some posts of great substance!

09B2178D-6823-49B0-ABEF-BE8C5FFC0285.jpeg

56CFFC52-CC31-469A-914C-589F8CCBB78D.jpeg

Not sure if any of you follow our fellow forum member & thread participant bpurdie bpurdie on Instagram. For those who don't know, Brian has a tennis clothing company he does out of passion called Vollaix. His designs are homages of vintage styles. His Hot Lava polos are fantastic and quality is amazing. Well, he's been asked to and has said he would like to replicate the AO and FO Agassi 1995 "pirate phase" lightning bolt style striped polo with the checkered collar & cuffs. Some issues persisted but seeing his IG late last week, he's done it!! 👏👏See these shots!!
Screenshot_20210329-115959.png
Screenshot_20210329-120015.png

These looks PHENOMENAL!!! As someone who wore the entire outfit (the French Open black/teal LWP kit) on my senior year of HS tennis team, and who still has said outfit (I LOVE the shorts) these shirts aren't just a home run, it's a damn WALK OFF GRAND SLAM!!! Brian, my hats off to you my friend! Way to go!!

I know the quality will be A+ as always, and adding the shorts to the red shirt is a great idea (as someone who was honored & thankful to be gifted a pair of denim with lava spandex pair of shorts, these will be awesome as well). I can't wait to see the production pics this week. Anyone who hasn't yet, go check out his website Vollaix.com and see all his designs. They are fantastic! 👍👍👏👏

Last edited:
Not sure if any of you follow our fellow forum member & thread participate bpurdie bpurdie on Instagram. For those who don't know, Brian has a tennis clothing company he does out of passion called Vollaix. His designs are homages of vintage styles. His Hot Lava polos are fantastic and quality is amazing. Well, he's been asked to and has said he would like to replicate the AO and FO Agassi 1995 "pirate phase" lightning bolt style striped polo with the checkered collar & cuffs. Some issues persisted but seeing his IG late last week, he's done it!! 👏👏See these shots!!

These looks PHENOMENAL!!! As someone who wore the entire outfit (the French Open black/teal LWP kit) on my senior year of HS tennis team, and who still has said outfit (I LOVE the shorts) these shirts aren't just a home run, it's a damn WALK OFF GRAND SLAM!!! Brian, my hats off to you my friend! Way to go!!

I know the quality will be A+ as always, and adding the shorts to the red shirt is a great idea (as someone who was honored & thankful to be gifted a pair of denim with lava spandex pair of shorts, these will be awesome as well). I can't wait to see the production pics this week. Anyone who hasn't yet, go check out his website Vollaix.com and see all his designs. They are fantastic! 👍👍👏👏

good looks b...copped the denim with pink spandex to match my Nike polo...slapping an extra Cc tag on em don’t have to wait until the uso for Nike!!

Not sure if any of you follow our fellow forum member & thread participant bpurdie bpurdie on Instagram. For those who don't know, Brian has a tennis clothing company he does out of passion called Vollaix. His designs are homages of vintage styles. His Hot Lava polos are fantastic and quality is amazing. Well, he's been asked to and has said he would like to replicate the AO and FO Agassi 1995 "pirate phase" lightning bolt style striped polo with the checkered collar & cuffs. Some issues persisted but seeing his IG late last week, he's done it!! 👏👏See these shots!!

Loving this set. Copped one of each color for me and my pops. Props bpurdie bpurdie 🔥🔥🔥

Back
Top Bottom