🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

Meth really needs to make someone else the OP of this thread, or someone needs to start a new one.
There's a simple solution.
Talk to Ska.

The J.COLE thread OP had vanished... been MIA forever. Thread needed an update badly.
I talked to him and he said here, you can be OP.
Next day i was OP.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
I'm gonna hit him up, better it be someone like me whos always on here
laugh.gif

Anyone else think that Drake's 2011 run was something literally legendary? He was shooting like 99.8% from the field. Can't stop playing Trust Issues right now.

Not better than Wayne's 2008 year

It was a beastly year for Wayne, but his shooting percentage wasn't NEARLY as high. Dedication 3 alone dropped his accuracy a few solid points.

Drake practically couldn't have missed if he tried. I'm talking Dreams Money Can Buy, Headlines, Trust Issues, Free Spirit, I'm on One, Club Paradise, The Zone, Made Men, She Will, and then to drop Take Care, where the only song even KIND of weak was Make Me Proud? Aubrey definitely had the scoring title, with his only competition being The Weeknd.

It was a beastly year for Wayne, but his shooting percentage wasn't NEARLY as high. Dedication 3 alone dropped his accuracy a few solid points.

Drake practically couldn't have missed if he tried. I'm talking Dreams Money Can Buy, Headlines, Trust Issues, Free Spirit, I'm on One, Club Paradise, The Zone, Made Men, She Will, and then to drop Take Care, where the only song even KIND of weak was Make Me Proud? Aubrey definitely had the scoring title, with his only competition being The Weeknd.

You got a point but Wayne was everywhere is 2008. Drake only had 1 wack verse since SFG and thats that future song he did

My favorite wayne year is 2007.

hen Drake met with XXL last month in his hometown of Toronto, he had a lot on his mind, more than what was fit for print. In a XXLMag.com exclusive, here are portions of the conversation that did not make the cover story.

Interview by Thomas Golianopoulos (@golianopoulos)
Images by Jonathan Mannion

XXL: How far along are you with the album?
I’m usually scrambling around this time. My confidence is usually all over the place because you are about to surrender a body of work and I think for the first time I’m ready. I don’t know what that means. I don’t know if that means it s really good of it means something else. I feel extremely confidant right now.

It’s a surprise to hear you struggle with confidence.
The confidence in the records, I mean, it takes me a year, a year and a half to make an album, so those are emotions spanning over [that time]. There might have been nights that I was supremely confident due to events that occurred that day or that week, and those emotions come across and then there’ll be emotions not so much. But as far as the actual act of completing an album and handing it over and saying, “Okay, 40 go to New York, master this and give this in for production.’ With So Far Gone, there wasn’t really any mastering involved. I remember being like, “Did we just make the biggest mistake in life?” I’m doing Peter, Bjorn And John songs over. I did a Lykke Li song over. It was like, “What did we just do? Did we shift the needle on the culture, or did we just sort of potentially bomb any hope of being respected as a real rapper?” And it ended up working out really well. I think I carry that with me. I think it’s a reflection of the amount of risks we do take musically. It’s a bit nerve wracking. This is the first time I was like, “You know what, I’m just ready. I’m ready for people to hear it.” That’s all I’m saying. I’m trying to be very careful.

How is this album different from Take Care?
Take Care was about connecting with my city and connecting with my past and sort of still feeling guilty that I’m not in love with one of these girls that cared about me from back in the day. Now, I’m 26, I’m with my friends, I’m making jobs for people, I’m making memories for people that will last a lifetime. I don’t need to be in love right now. I don’t need these things that I maybe once thought that I needed to feel normal and feel righteous about myself. I think for the first time in an album I’m content—not satisfied—but proud of where I’m at as a person. My thing was after going to these places I wanted to go to—Houstonlantavegas, I call it—there was a part of me that was like, “Man, I got to reconnect with one of these girls from Toronto that actually loved me for me before all of this happened or else I’m gonna end up like in some weird, miserable, divorced, three-times married guy.” That was a way I was thinking at one point, like, “I got to find one of my exes and make that work because a girl from Toronto is the only girl that will ever understand me, a girl that knew me before this happened is the only girl that will ever understand me.” Now I look back at those girls like, “Ahhh, not so much.” They might be more twisted than some of the new girls that I meet.

What are some things you did on this album that you couldn’t do beforehand?
I found a way to get all my thoughts across within 15 songs, which I’m very proud of. Take Care was, look, here is everything I have. I don’t think I had the time towards the end to be like, “Let me get rid of this but add this piece to this so you can still get a piece of this. I didn’t have enough time to sort of shave it down and make it concise, which some of the best rap albums and albums period are those albums with 12-13 songs—Tha Carter III, the Graduations, the Black Albums, there are those records with 14 songs long that are straight and to the point and once you hit the end of the record, you have to bring it back. It’s that weird sensation where you feel gratification from the music, but it’s almost over before you know it, and it forces you to listen again. Or even House Of Balloons from The Weekend, which is nine songs. I remember playing it over and over again. What could I do differently?

I think for me, from So Far Gone to Thank Me Later to Take Care, I’m 26 years old. I’m just getting my bearings in this industry, in this business, in this position I’m in, and I what I noticed was, okay, I’m starting to develop, maybe like a Drake formula for songs. Maybe [people] can predict what they are going to hear as far as a Drake single. I feel like with this project I’ve created a new artist. I’ve played it for people and people have been like, “Who’s rapping?” When I played “Started From The Bottom” for people, people were like, “Whose voice is that? That’s not you. Who is it?” I’ve taken that risk as far as trying to break out of my own formula, which, by the way, works extremely well. I could definitely go and do what people expected and probably win per se. But that’s not the long-term vision. I remember these moments. I remember waiting all summer to hear an album from an artist I was excited about. I think me being the age that I am and being in touch with those emotions is, that’s why I’m in there every night like Christmas Eve, I’m in the studio working if need be, if I have an album coming out. Nothing matters more to me than this right now, and I’ve surrendered pretty much my entire summer—any joy and fun and partying, I’ve sort of let that go out the window three or four months ago. I really want to just want to deliver something that is shocking, is refreshing and takes a little bit of time to digest. I don’t want you to be able to put it in and understand it right away.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2013/08/outtakes-drakes-xxl-cover-story/ link for the rest of the outtakes. (3 more pages)

Also, Detail revealed that Tuscan Leather will be 12 minutes long :wow: :wow: :wow: Could be epic

"Tuscan Leather" samples a whitney houston record, flipped 3 different times, in which Curtis Mayfield at the end says "Having the same fears, shedding similar tears, and of course dying in so many years, it don't mean that we can't have a good life."

Also, Justin Timberlake called his record with Drake a "Club Banger" in a recent interview with Sway

Finally, Drake has a record on the deluxe edition of his album featuring his father titled "Heat of the Moment"

Anyone else think that Drake's 2011 run was something literally legendary? He was shooting like 99.8% from the field. Can't stop playing Trust Issues right now.

Not better than Wayne's 2008 year
Only because Wayne was releasing/leaking so much music and it was above average to good.

(Sidenote: am I the only one who feels that Wayne set the precedent for the Future/Rich Homie Quan/Kevin Gates type of artists where they are rapping "hard" **** as far as subject matter but in a melodic, codeine'd out autotune?)

But Drake . . . it was a good thing to be a Drake fan in 2011. I remember when Free Spirit x Round Of Applause x Club Paradise dropped in one night. 
sick.gif
. Trust Issues was crazy. T-Minus was too cold on the beats.

I feel like a lot of people sleep on Drake because of the softer songs but he goes hard. I really haven't heard a wack verse from him since he popped up. I even mess with that Fo Real verse. "416 we know your *****" 
laugh.gif

Excited for this album and Dom's joint . . . hope there is no filler on either . . . they haven't disappointed me so far.

Pretty excited about the new album because he recruited Hudson Mohawke to produce a track. He's worked with the G.O.O.D. label a lot recently (Mercy, Blood on the Leaves, Bliss, etc.), but I've been following this dude since ~'08 and everything he touches is fire.

40 is still one of my favorite producers because of dem feels tho

Back
Top Bottom