They try to compare us but
Like a job straight out of high school
There’s no you and I

I taught you everything you know, now you got student pride, all factual

Triple entendre papi

4EA8CA0B-6DCC-4959-AD59-D3B90006ECE7.png

It's crazy cause Diplomatic Immunity is way better.

WAY better. God's plan sounds kind of lazy to me. But it's cool, Like if it's on I won't skip it, but I'm not going to actively try and listen to it. I can see why it would / will work though.

he about to get to a point where he relies on double entendres like wayne started relying on ***** and poop metaphors but im not even mad

he be putting em in there slick paws

The difference in these two tracks is interesting to me.
He put some bubblegum pseudo Soundcloud wave **** for the MILLIONS of people that are into that sound...and he put out some rap **** for people that wanna hear that.

It's very strategic. We always talk about how the Jay Z's and the Eminem's have reached a point where they can make the music "that they want to".

Is Drake at that point yet? Can Drake put out a project that's free of "strategy" and "marketing tactics" and just put what he thinks is hot out without catering to a specific demographic?

And like, this my thing with Drake...

He been w/the double and triple entendres. He really is a great rapper, but doesn't get his credit because of his aesthetic. Like I said in the RANT thread, perception is everything. I see people saying how good the bars on here when Two Birds, One Stone, and Do Not Disturb dropped last year.

Like, Did y'all (Not y'all in here, just in general) not hear this in DND

You overnight celebrity,
you one day (daystar) star, swear I TOLD YOU (T Lanez album title) that I'm in this ***** for eternity

Y'all wasn't listening to Two Birds One Stone? **** was loaded with slick puns and bars

Me I don't JUDGE i'm just going by what the Math is(Mathis / Judge Mathis)?

My numbers out of this world no wonder they got me feeling so alienated?

Or on For Free when he took a shot at DJ Drama because he had summer

Last year I had drama girl, not right now

perception is everything. Drake be rapping his *** off and because his singles are One Dance and HOWGH he a pop act. Suh it go though.

Last edited:
He put some bubblegum pseudo Soundcloud wave **** for the MILLIONS of people that are into that sound...and he put out some rap **** for people that wanna hear that.

It's very strategic. We always talk about how the Jay Z's and the Eminem's have reached a point where they can make the music "that they want to".

Is Drake at that point yet? Can Drake put out a project that's free of "strategy" and "marketing tactics" and just put what he thinks is hot out without catering to a specific demographic?

I don't think so, at least he hasn't shown that yet.

Every single album of his is preceded by kind of that formula.

Record for the ladies / Rap ****, then the album which is a balance of both.

Thank me later - Over, Find your Love

Take Care - Headlines, Make Me Proud

Nothing was the same - Started / Hold on, we're going home

Views - One Dance, Pop Style

Only time he deviated from this was the "Projects" or "Playlists" or whatever he wants to call it. That's when he experiments with different rollouts, and seeing what could work with a real album or not. To your point, he's very calculated in that way. When it's album time, he's not going away from that formula, OVO and them boys want the #'s, they want the plaques.

Its been the strategy since back to back/hotline bling.

Been his strategy since the beginning of his career and it's the biggest reason why he doesn't get credit as a bar for bar rapper.

He knows how to make these massive pop hits for his albums, and they completely drown out the rap records.

He actually raps more than he sings, but when your lead singles for every album are huge pop hits, that's what the people will associate you with.

Been his strategy since the beginning of his career and it's the biggest reason why he doesn't get credit as a bar for bar rapper.

He knows how to make these massive pop hits for his albums, and they completely drown out the rap records.

He actually raps more than he sings, but when your lead singles for every album are huge pop hits, that's what the people will associate you with.
Those singles were spread out i was speaking for releasing two in a single day.

What makes you think this isn't the music he wants to put out?

To your point, he's very calculated in that way. When it's album time, he's not going away from that formula, OVO and them boys want the #'s, they want the plaques.

Good point I didn't really consider. This is indeed a business at the end of the day. I tend to only look at these things through a creative lens.

Good point I didn't really consider. This is indeed a business at the end of the day. I tend to only look at these things through a creative lens.

Yeah despite the image that he and OVO portrays, he is signed to a label and the numbers still matter for Drake. He isn't on a Hov level (At least not yet) where he's dropping LP's out of the sky w/o a typical rollout. I think he could, but it's a layup to push 1 Million first week when you have a pop smash, and he's talented enough to hit homeruns with that formula every album cycle. Why deviate from it? By all accounts too, these aren't just label decisions, he likes making those records too.

I feel like they use the "Projects" as a way to test out what would and wouldn't work w/album rollouts, w/atypical singles, etc. but hits come too easy to him. He's too good of a songwriter, too stats driven, to breakaway from a formula that's easy money for him right now.

Someone alluded to this on KTT,

This was the first release since he's been with Apple that wasn't an Apple exclusive. Didn't premiere on OVO Radio like it normally would, in fact there hasn't been an OVO Sound radio in awhile. (May be one this weekend I think)

Take the bits and pieces from the family feud verse along with the aforementioned, and it seems like some renegotiation(s) are taking place rn.

Not even surprised he tryna hop on this SoundCloud wave. It's what he does. It would be funny if that's the sound he'll run with and y'all still claim he's "creative" and "more than a rapper ".

Diplomatic Immunity is way better.

Back
Top Bottom