09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

haha.. i think it was Soto. I think the main event of that card was Judah vs Cotto

laugh.gif
I think so.

Not going to post this in the freak show/circus post:

Roach

Ben (Boston): Yo Freddie, Where does this fight rank in Manny's biggest challenges of his career?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: I guess like No. 3 of the challenges. No. 1 was Oscar because it was such a big fight. No. 2 was his first break through fight against Barerra.

Tyler/ SLC, UT: Do you enjoy the smack talk? or is just another part of promoting the fight?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Manny and Ricky aren't big talkers, especially Manny. Floyd gets under my skin sometimes, so I try to retaliate back. But I try not to. This is the Manny-Ricky show, not the Floyd-Freddie show.

Miguel Orange County California: Coach, you know that Hattons will try to get into a brawl and pressure Manny. Do you see yourself telling manny to outbox him and use his speed, instead of falling into Hattons plans.

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: In training camp, that's exactly what we worked on. Manny will be more of a boxer in this fight than you've ever seen. We're going to use lateral movement and quick punches to get out of the way when he's coming at us.

Danny (Memphis): Freddie, do you see any weaknesses in Hatton that you can exploit like you did by continuously turning Oscar?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Definitely. He lunges in with his face first. He spreads his hands before he attacks. His footwork is terrible. The only time he has power is when he catches you on the ropes. If Manny gets caught on the ropes, he owes me $1,000.

manny (Riverside,CA): hatton says his power and body punching will be enough for a victory, how have you prepared manny for it?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: He'll never find us. Our footwork will be too fast for him. It's just not going to work.

Adam (South Orange, NJ): Freddie, I'm so pumped for this fight. I can't wait. What does Pac-Man have to do to win this fight?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Be smart. Use lateral movement. Not move back in straight lines and not get caught in the ropes.

John (Philadelphia, PA): If Pacquiao comes out on top after this fight, who else would you like to see him fight afterwards?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Well, Floyd Jr. if he comes out of retirement, we'd l love to fight him. Shane Mosley, Cotto, Chavez Jr. We're looking for the best deal out there. We'll fight all of them.

Ben (Boston): Yo Freddie, What do you say to the critics who say that Manny hasn't fought a "real" fight above 130 pounds?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Well, Oscar De La Hoya was above 130 pounds, if I'm not mistaken. We absolutely killed him. We've beaten guys over 130 pounds. A Hall of Famer. One of the legends of boxing. we're going to destroy Hatton the same way.

Derek (st.pete fl): Does manny rank up there for the best fighters you have ever trained?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: From the day we started until the day we are now, he's probably progressed the best. I've had a lot of people in my stable, but I think he's my best work to date.

Jami (Dallas, TX): How many miles a day do you have Manny run when in training? Thanks and good luck.

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Non-sparring days, he runs about one hour, about 8 miles up hill. Very steep runs. On sparring days, he runs for 30 minutes on flat surfaces so he can save his legs for sparring that day.

Tyler/ SLC, UT: Do you have a specific diet for Manny or can he eat whatever he wants?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: He eats whatever he wants. He has a strict Phillipine diet. He loves rice. If he can't have rice, he can't perform.

TJ (Chicago): Freddie, how soon is Manny gonna silence the fans behind Hatton at the Fight?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: First round.

dave (detroit): freddie, i'm impressed with the footage of manny's workouts. is there a possibility he's overtraining?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: That's always a possibility, because Manny Pacquiao wants to work all the time. But I know how to control him. We negotiate. I let him go sometimes and sometimes I'll hold him back. I can slow him down when I need to.

Joel, Washington, DC: How do you keep Manny focused and level headed with all the distractions and everyone from the Philippines worshiping him. How does that not go to his head?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: That's an amazing thing about Manny. He's a movie star, he's a singer. His whole country is depending on him. But once he comes through the doors, his work ethic is unbelieveable. He separates the two. It's not a problem.

Pat, NYC: How concerned are you that interviews like this where you discuss strategy and the access youve given to 24/7 will provide Hatton an advantage that he may not have had otherwise?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: I would invite Ricky Hatton to come train if he wants. There's nothing he can do about itl.

Chuck (Manila): what do you think of mayweather sr as a person and as a trainer? i hate it when he talks smack at you.

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: I don't either. His tone sucks. He shows up late for Ricky Hatton's training sessions. I think it's disgraceful for a trainer to show up late for a world championship level training.

JP (Columbus, OH): Freddie, what does Michael Moorer bring to the table that didn't exist before?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: There's nothing that he's bringing in new. He called me and asked me to see if I could give him a job. He's working with me with all my fighters as my assistant. He and Pacquiao are getting to know each other. He's new to training of the game.

Ruben (Houston): On 24/7 they talk about how Hatton has learned how to use his defense better then he has in the past. Do you think he has learned enough to keep up with manny?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: They say he has a faster jab also. I do believe that once he gets hit in the first round by the first punch against Manny, I think he'll revert to what he's done in his last 50 pro fights.

Jack (Philly): Name an athlete from one of the major sports that you think would make an excellent boxing prospect.

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: I watch other sports, but I never really thought that way. They're good with what they do and they should probably stick with it.

claude (nyc): do you forsee this fight going the distance? or do you believe manny will get a ko?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Definitely a Manny KO.

Tommy, NY: Outside of your boy, Pacquiao, who would you consider the world's pound for pound king?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Well, I like Shane Mosley. He's looking great in his last fight. Marquez is a great fighter. There are some guys out there, but Pacquiao's the best.

ZM (Los Angeles, CA): Freddie, any up-and-coming fighters out of Wild Card to keep an eye out for?

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: We've got some good prospects. Amir Khan. Silver medalist in the last Olympics. I've got four fights the night before Manny in Las Vegas. Quite a few prospects.

sn2.gif
Freddie Roach: Thank you for your support. Don't miss this one. You're going to see the best Manny Pacquiao yet.
Dan Rafael (finishing soon)

Dan Rafael: (12:02 PM ET ) Greetings from Las Vegas, Fight Freaks! It's a huge fight weekend with Hatton-Pacquiao and I so psyched. We'll have live weigh in coverage at 3:10 PT/6:10 ET on ESPN and ESPNews! Let's get to it.

Jamesa (ottawa): AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:02 PM ET ) How many days?

Geron (B-More, MD): I got Manny in the 11th....I think this will be a very entertaining fight. Hatton will look bigger and stronger at the beggining but fade towards the end from all the punches he's going to eat!! Your thoughts Dan?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:03 PM ET ) I think it's a very grueling, tough fight, but I like Manny late or on points.

Stitches Chicago,Il: How is the atmosphere?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:04 PM ET ) There was a buzz here already on Wednesday. It's been great. I just came from the arena where I was doing a TV shot for First Take on ESPN2 and when I came out there was already a huge line to get in for the weigh in several hours from now.

Mike: Hattons got a glass jaw. He will be KO's within 6.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:05 PM ET ) I don't think he has a glass jaw at all. Why? Because he got stopped by the best fighter in the world who was bigger late in the fight? Please.

Zach MPLS: Dan your so lucky to be there, I can't wait for the fight to stsrt. Any comment on the reported rift between Hatton and Mayweather?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:05 PM ET ) I think it's more between people in Hatton's camp with Floyd Sr. than between the figher and Floyd Sr.

Mike (San Diego, CA): Dan, your chat is on the front page of ESPN.com. Keep up the good work.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:07 PM ET ) That tells you how big this fight is. Boxing has been the lede story on page 1 for parts of the past two days. This is a big one.

Craig (Detroit): DTM - great call on watching the HBO Real Sports special on Ann Wolfe. Very interesting piece...a must see.

Luis (Utuado,Puerto Rico) [via mobile]: Hey dan! If pacman wins, Do you think he could be a dominating figure in the jr welter or welterweight division?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:08 PM ET ) Certainly at jr. .welterweight. We'll have to see him prove himself at welterweight.

Rick (Saint Paul, MN): What time do you expect the Hatton-Pac fight to start? I have to watch my kids during the beginning of the undercard and need to decide whether or not I'm going to go to a party or order it at home. I figure if it starts around 8:00 here, the main event shouldn't start until at least 10:00, am I right?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:09 PM ET ) The main event wll begin between 11 and 11:30 pm ET.

Kevin (CT): Who would the winner of this fight face next? Juan Manuel Marquez?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:09 PM ET ) There will be many options. Mayweather, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto. All depends on how things shake out.

Paul B (NY, NY): DTM- On the undercard, any life in Soto's opponent or will he walk over him?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:10 PM ET ) Gaudet is a solid pro who was an outstanding amateur. I've seen him on tape and he's not bad. But he doesn't see physically strong like Soto and he is not a big puncher.

Ricardo (Bronx, NY): Hey Dan, over/under (and the reason I'm not buying the fight) 10 total rounds for all the televised undercard fights.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:12 PM ET ) I don't care. The main event is awesome.

Juan: New Haven Ct: Urango almost folded Hatton in half with a body punch. Hatton thinks hes going to be the one to do damage to the body of Pac but Im not so sure. Any thoughts?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:12 PM ET ) I think Manny's body attack could be a very pivotal weapon for him. He can punch to the body.

Noe (Azusa, CA): Wooooo! Can't wait for it to be 8ish tomorrow. I have a weird feeling this will be damn good fight! Manny by Decision

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:14 PM ET ) Why weird feeling? EVERYONE thinks it will be a good fight,

Ryan (Cleveland): Hatton KO, 8 or 9.

Aaron (Denver): Any disappointment in Kirkland's replacement

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:15 PM ET ) Not at all. It will be a good test for Daniel Jacobs. He's a terrific prospect and Mike Walker is BY FAR his best opponent.

Rob (Halifax, Canada): Have you seen Floyd Jr? Do you expect him to be there tomorrow?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:15 PM ET ) No, and I doubt very much he will be here..

Alex (Clev, OH): DANNY - Do they have PPV in Jail so Kirkland can watch the fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:15 PM ET ) Probably not.

Mike (San Diego, CA): Are you in the media room for this chat?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:16 PM ET ) No, I came back up to my hotel room after the TV hit. It's so early here that the press room will be dead anyway.

Greg (Boston): Seriously, Saturday is the greatest day ever...Friesian Fire will win the Derby, The Celtics will beat the pesky Bulls, and Ricky Hatton will shock the world!!!!! Hatton in 11

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:17 PM ET ) Settle down.

JR (San Jose, CA): Hatton says he'll assume Pacman's spot atop the P4P list with a victory. While I don't think one fight can put him at #1, a brilliant performance could put him arguably in the top 5. Thoughts?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:17 PM ET ) I'll wait to see the fight to see where Ricky goes but even if he wins, he won't become No. 1 on my list. But he will, obviously, move up big time.

Travis (Richmond, VA): Pacquiao KO in somewhere between the 7th and 9th rounds. I think hatton will look strong until he can't handle Manny's barrage of punches then he will suddenly go down.

Teddy Atlas: Jacobs is not a big puncher. I know he just knocked the guy out cold, but he is definitely not a big puncher!

Patrick, New York: Why is there so much hype aruond this fight? Hatton hasn't beaten anyone and looked terrible versus Mayweather. This seems like another poor attempt to create buzz within a sport that has died years ago. Thanks

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:20 PM ET ) You're banned for being a moron.

Nathan (PA): Dan, considering the economy and the travel concerns, is there still as big a contingent from the UK there for the fight? How does it compare to the group that came over for Floyd-Hatton?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:20 PM ET ) There are a ton of Brits here but nothing will ever be like the Mayweather-Hatton fight. That was sick.

First Take ESPN: We like the winner of Saturday's fight to take on Valuev. Who do you like?

Banishment: Hellllllloooooooo Patrick.

John (San Fran): Dan, wikipedia shows the "According to ESPN", Mayweather is set to fight Marquez on July 18th. I know they are negotiating, but has it progressed beyond deciding what weight the fight will be at?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:21 PM ET ) It is in talks and there is no deal yet.

Rick,Marina, Ca: Whats up Dan, Well heres my prediction Manny in 7, Hatton has never really gotten my props, his only big win was with Kosta, Im just not sold on Hatton.

steve (ct): what did you think of last saturday's showtime card? And whats next for the fighters?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:23 PM ET ) Good show. I was there and it was as dramatic an ending as I have seen in person this side of Corrales-Castillo 1. Taylor probably will come back on Showtime in the fall. Froch is looking for a big fight and Hopkins is calling him out, although I doubt that happens. Allan Green looked good on the undercard and likely will get a title shot with Bute in Montreal or Quebec City this summer.

E (Omaha): D$$ - I still can't believe Taylor lost that fight. Did you see that coming? Have you spoken to him or his people since Saturday?

Hector (San Juan, Puerto Rico): Dan You think either of these two guys can bang with somebody like Cotto? Do you think Cotto has way too many distractions leading to the Clottey fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:23 PM ET ) I had Jermain way ahead so I didn't think he'd get stopped with 14 seconds left. His team is disappointed but life goes on.

Jeff Las Vegas: The great thing about Pac is he is still not even 30. Am I right?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:24 PM ET ) He is now 30.

Danny (MA): Will Hatton commit to fighting at the grueling pace that Pacquiao sets? Or will he try to counter a bit and fight his fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:24 PM ET ) I think Ricky's best chance to win is to make it a war.

Chris (Kalamazoo, MI): Pacquiao KO 11th round in a bloody brawl. A rematch will be wanted, but Pacquiao will go on to fight the winner of Mayweather-Marquez.

Nation of drunks: There's Only One Ciky Hatton! One Ricky Hatton!

Ewan (Vancouver): I see that Diaconu vs. Pascal is signed. Seems like it'll be a massive fight in La Belle Provence. Do you think Pascal has a chance moving up in weight? He's one of my favorites.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:25 PM ET ) I really like this fight and I do think Pascal has a good shot. He's faster and more athletic than Diaconu.

Matt (charlotte): How did Paulie look last saturday? Was he back to his old self or did he look gun shy ?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:25 PM ET ) He won easily and looked pretty good other than when he almost got knocked down late in the sixth round and was hurt.

Pancho, Los Mochis: Do you agree with Tim Bradley's decision not to fight Devon Alexander (who looked very beatable this weekend)?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:27 PM ET ) I assume they have bigger fights in mind and didn't want to be pushed around by the WBC. The WBC is disgusting. Jose actually had the audacity to say Bradley was scared to fight Alexander. Shame on him. The WBC is garbage.

Daian, Miami: do you think gamboa-caballerp will get done now that caballero won?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:28 PM ET ) Not sure. But checking on it is on my list of things to do when I am home next week.

Mike (Tucson , Az): lets say pacquiao knocks out hatten . Do you really think mayweather would take on manny?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:29 PM ET ) Depends on the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Aaron (Denver): Dante Wilder still looks like an ameture. 3+ years before we can talk any sort of "Next American Heavyweight". Thoughts

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:31 PM ET ) He is way, way, way far away. Very raw but his handlers know this. It's a work in progress. He's very young and not experienced. But he has physical tools and seemingly a good work ethic and desire to learn. So, yes, it's going to be a few years before we know one way or the other about him.

Mike, Kingsway: Have you seen the fighters yet? Hoping we don't see a dried out raisin like delahoya again.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:31 PM ET ) I saw and talked to both at the press conference. Both seemed in great spirits and in shape from what I could tell.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:32 PM ET ) Manny, I am told, weighed 138 yesterday. Hatton was shedding the last couple of pounds I am told and was out running.

E (Omaha): D$$ - For all the people who say boxing is dead, I have had more people ask about coming over to watch this fight then I can remember in years. I will have a full house Saturday night

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:32 PM ET ) Good man.

John OHIO: Hey Dan, this going be a hell of a fight is their any worry of the swine flu that may effect the sell of this fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:33 PM ET ) Not at all. Why would it? The fight is sold out and if you are worried about getting sick, stay the hell home and order ppv. That's pretty safe.

Jimmy (Buffalo): Dan$, last chat you said that you don't think Arum would let Manny near Mosley. Freddie Roach keeps saying he wants that fight if Mayweather won't fight him. Do you still think Manny vs Mosley won't happen? Thanks.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:34 PM ET ) I stand firm -- I do not think Mosley-Pacquiao will happen, at least not in the next one or two fights.

Rog (sacramento): Oh no!! I'm not going to order the fight because of SWINE FLU!! Please..

Aaron (Hartford): Forget Pavlik-Abraham.....I want to see Pavlik-Froch....

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:35 PM ET ) You're crazy.

John (San Fran): How many PPV buys do you see this fight doing? I think it can clear the 1 million mark.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:37 PM ET ) I'm not that optimistic. I think under a million. The only PPV fight ever to do more than a million that did not involve Tyson, Holyfield or DLH was Mayweather-Hatton, which did about 910,000. A million is big number. I think it comes close but not over.

Joe (philly): Dan I gotta say that for some reason I may have never felt as bad for a fighter as I did for Taylor when he was laying slumped over in that corner in the 12th. It was like watching the pavlik fight all over again.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:37 PM ET ) Yup. It was similar.

JJD (Seattle): Bert Sugar makes a fair point that Manny is the greatest Asian fighter in history. I never thought of Manny that way, but assuming you agree, who would be second?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:38 PM ET ) I do agree with Uncle Bert that Manny is the No, 1 Asian fighter. No. 2 maybe is Fighting Harada.

Kinoba (GA): Hello Dan - i hope that you are having a blessed day today - do you have any update on when Chris John will be fighting in the US again?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:39 PM ET ) June 27 in LA in a rematch with Rocky Juarez on HBO.

Benvenuto (Miami): Better film......Tyson or Kassim the Dream?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:40 PM ET ) I haven't seen either yet in its entirety. But since I am in Kassim The Dream, I probably have to say that one.

Christopher, Staten Island: Hey Dan, any chance we will ever see your scores from ringside during a Showtime fight? I don't know how they pick the writers they have on the program.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:41 PM ET ) I suppose. I've done a few times before. I have no idea how they do pick people.

Bernard Hopkins (Philly / Deleware): We are prepared to offer Froch 100 dollars, 10 tickets to the fight, and an autographed picture of me in my executionaer mask. Do you think he'll take my offer?

Chico (Cleveland):: Dan, is the Pavlik/Mora fight going to happen? There is still no signed contract for the fight. Is there a deadline?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:41 PM ET ) The fight is on and there will be a press conference in week or two in NYC.

Antonio Margarito: Could I have knocked out PENALOSA with my loaded hand?

Aaron S. Bayley, Toronto, ON: Sir Dancelot, I just finished reading George Kimball's excellent "Three Kings." Ever think of writing a similar book on the Barerra, Morales, Pacquiao wars? I'm sure you were there to cover 'em all.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:43 PM ET ) Interesting idea. I wasn't at all of them but most of them. I was at Barrera-Morales 2 and 3, Pacquiao-Marquez 1 and 2, Pac-Morales 2 and 3. Funny thing is, Pac-Morales was supposed to be my first fight for ESPN after leaving USA TODAY and I came down with the flu really bad (not swine flu) like three days before the fight and I had to cancel the trip.

Carlos Llamas Ponce, P.R.: Hey Dan do you think i'm crazy if i predict that Ricky hatton is winning by knockout?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:44 PM ET ) It's not unreasonable. Ricky is a good puncher and anything can happen when they are slugging it out.

Aaron (Denver): How impressed are you with Juan Manual Lopez?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:45 PM ET ) I've been impressed with him for a long time. He's a real talent with an exciting style. He's one of the top young stars in the sport.

Dan's Book Publisher: The name of Dan's upcoming book is "Banned - a tale of bathtubs, shower doors and idiots"

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:45 PM ET ) Classic.

Jorge Az [via mobile]: Dan Love your DVD picks of the week. You should give ESPN Classic some advice on which fights to show. It'd be better than watching the same ones all the time. Much Props Dan Love reading your opinons.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:48 PM ET ) Thanks. ESPN Classic doesn't have the rights to a lot of those fights, unfortunately, but does show a lot of terrific older fights.

Matt (Brooklyn): I think the only way Hatton wins if he does the exact same thing he did to Kostya, physically wear him out. Otherwise, Manny should have his way with him.

Mike (San Diego, CA): Excited to see Erislandy Lara in person tomorrow. What is your take on him early in his career?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:49 PM ET ) I am also looking forward to seeing fight live for the first time. I met him yesterday and he seems like a nice young man. You know what? He literally got married yesterday at the chapel here in Vegas.

walter D.C [via mobile]: Any update with possible Lacy Vs Roy Jones, who do u think will win?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:50 PM ET ) They'd like to make the fight but there is no TV for it. No network is paying for it and as a PPV it dies, so not sure if it will really come off.

Grey (Cape Cod, MA): Dan, I noticed Omar Chavez is fighting on the off TV undercard tomorrow. Does he have a decent future in boxing?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:51 PM ET ) Omar is indeed on the off TV undercard but he's sooooo limited. I don't think he's going too far.

Raymond (Baltimore): Road Warrior DANimal, Carlos' question had me thinking. In boxing, basically anything is possible. But has there even been an outcome for a major fight, that seemed basically inconceivable prior to the fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:53 PM ET ) Douglas knocking out Tyson.

Benvenuto (Miami): If a brawl broke out in Vegas between Pacquiao's supporters and Hattons supporters, who do you got?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:53 PM ET ) Hatton's. They're nastier and drunker.

Luke (Long Beach, CA): I look forward to your updated rankings every week. What happened to them this week?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:55 PM ET ) They'll be back next week. My editor was a bit swamped with Fight Credential and stuff related to this fight and I had traveled last weekend to Bristol for FNF and then Foxwoods for the Froch-Taylor fight and then came out here Tuesday and was really crunched for time.

Leo, Cleveland : The last fight I watched was pacman vs oscar. Why should I get watch this fight after such a bad fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:56 PM ET ) If you don't know you are hopeless.

Joe (Clovis, NM): Can we except another 3 national anthem fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:56 PM ET ) One can only hope. I love a three-anthem fight. I am a huge fan of the Philippines national anthem. I have no idea what thte words mean but it's a beautiful song and they always have the best-looking woman singing it.

Al (Denver, CO): Leo in cleavland is banned......for life

Homer (North Canton, OH): This is my first chat live. I had to skip class 10th and 11th period to be here, but I'm glad I did.

Zim (Boston): Hatton's fans may be nastier and drunker, but Manny's supporters sport machine guns. No contest.

Benvenuto (Miami): We always talk about Mayweather willinf to fight for money, its all about money. What do you think it would cost to get him into the ring with Paul Williams?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:58 PM ET ) 400 billion.

Carlos (Funky Town, TX): Dan, I read Manny's chat and he said he would be interested in fighting Chavez Jr. Do you see that as a realistic fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:59 PM ET ) If Manny wins Arum has told me several times, including again last night, that he would look to make that fight if Mayweather was unrealisitc.

Walt (Texas): Whats the best part of a fight in Vegas?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:59 PM ET ) Ummm, the fight?

Rob (Halifax, Canada): I wish I had an excuse for not getting my work done, I can't tell my boss I was on a boxing chat all afternoon....

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:00 PM ET ) Sorry bro,

jim : Do you think Samuel Peter has the chance to be aa top level heavyweight ever again?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:00 PM ET ) No.

Joe (FL): Do you think this undercard is a weak as De La Hoya/Pacquaio?

Aaron (Denver): The Manny Chavez Jr. fight won't happen but what if he fought his old man, both in their prime?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:01 PM ET ) It's not that bad. Nothing can be that bad. Soto-Gaudet is a solid fight I think. Jacobs is in a test fight. Is the undercard strong? Not at all. But it's not as bad as that crap last December.

Greg (Halifax, Canada): Hi - im Rob's boss and im on the chat too. Rob, your excused

Homer (North Canton, OH): Just to change it up a bit, I got a question about the heaviyweights. Who has the better chance of an upset? Wlad-Haye or Vitali-Arreola?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:01 PM ET ) Of those two fights, Haye.

Jackson (IA): Any sense at all of a somber mood in Vegas with the passing of Danny Gans? Or has the fight hype masked it? Have you ever met the guy?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:02 PM ET ) The news is just coming out this morning. It was a shock. I went to see him a couple of years ago when I was out here for a fight and he was absolutely fantastic. Such a talented entertainer.

Joe (Stamford, CT): I respect your scorecards, and agree with them most of the time (give or take a round), but I thought 108-100 Taylor was a little off. You only gave Froch two rounds?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:03 PM ET ) I rewatched the fight and I should have also given him the 11th round, but it was wide for Taylor in my opinion.

Matt (Charlotte): Please tell me Billy Graham isnt in Vegas again

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:03 PM ET ) Haven't seen him. Then again, I didn't go looking under the tables at the bar.

Randy (NYC): I wanna see Froch/Taylor 2 as their next fight. That was a well rounded fight of technical skills, knockdowns, ruggedness, and an exciting end.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:04 PM ET ) A rematch may happen but it won't be next.

matt(Atlanta): just curious, all trashtalking aside, who right now would you say is a more respected trainer, floyd sr. Or roach?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:05 PM ET ) In the boxing community they are both respected as trainers but Freddie more so.

Jackson (IA): More plastered...Margarito's hands, or Billy Graham at 9:00 am?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:06 PM ET ) Draw.

Hector: Margarito-Mosley (LA) 20,000+ Cotto-Jennings (NY) 11,000+ Marquez-Diaz (Houston, TX) 15,000+ Lopez-Penalosa (PR) 10,000+ Pac-Hatton (LV) Sold out Klitschko-Haye (Germany) 30,000 in one day, 47,000 in a week and counting. Boxing is dead

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:06 PM ET ) You forgot Pavlik-Rubio sold out arena in Youngstown.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:06 PM ET ) And 10,000 for Lopez-Penalosa.

Bernard Hopkins (Philly / Deleware): Alright fine Froch, 200 dollars, 15 tickets, and an autographed picture of me in my executioner mask! FINAL OFFER!

Dave, Cincinnati: You should be proud of me Dan. My friends thought I was odd for being such a big boxing fan for the past 10 years. Now they all want to leave our friends derby party who was willing to order the fight to come back to our place and pay for the fight. They said they wont be able to watch the fight closely enough there, too many distractions. Jr. Freaks in the making...

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:07 PM ET ) Gold star for you, Freak.

Jack, London: Manny seems to dedicate his fights to God, his country, his people. He also talks about not wanting anyone to get hurt... It is quite endearing, yes, but wouldn't you want a nastier fighter? Someone who will growl and say that they would like to drink their opponents blood?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:08 PM ET ) Manny is endearing. He lets his fists do his talking.

Geoff (Burlington, ON): Don't forget about all of the 10,000+ shows in Montreal the past few years.

Jay (SF): Did you hear Bill Clinton was in Vegas? Any sightings?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:09 PM ET ) Yes, he was here at actually met with Manny Pacquiao at the Four Seasons hotel that inside Mandalay Bay. We have a great photo of it on the Fight Credential blog.

Ryan NY: Following up on matt's question, who would you rather have in your corner, Freddie or Floyd Sr.?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:10 PM ET ) Probably Freddie, but the reason is because I can understand him when he speaks.

Chris (New York): How cool is it watching Michael Moore apprentice under Roach on 24/7? And how funny was it watching Floyd Sr order at Taco Bell? That show is really the best.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:10 PM ET ) Great stuff.

Ted (Dallas, Texas): Dano, did you see where WWE wrestler Batista is carrying one of Manny's belts to the ring Saturday?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:11 PM ET ) Yes, which is pretty cool. He's Filipino. I'm going to run from press seat and drop a Tomb Stone on him!

Jason (NYC, NY): D$, I'm psyched to finally get a chance to see Matt Korobov get some airtime on a huge headliner. Given his extensive amateur background, while he has only a few professional fights, when do you think he'll be a contender for a belt?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:11 PM ET ) He'll move quickly. Give him maybe 15 months.

Randy (NYC): Dan, I know you most love your job, but do you ever day dream about sitting in the stands like us normal people with a beer and picking a guy to cheer for?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:12 PM ET ) No. I like my seat just fine, thank you.

RIP Greg Page: He was in poor condition his last few years, I hope he's in a better place now...

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:13 PM ET ) Yes, RIP indeed.

Joe (Stamford, CT): Is Pac at 140 and up for good?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:14 PM ET ) Yes, it would be unlikely he will go back to 135.

Zach (Phila): I'm going to request some bail-out money and order a 52 flat screen for this baby! Come on over everyone is welcome.

Matt (Naperville, IL): When was the last time you went to a fight just to watch?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:16 PM ET ) No idea.

Steve - NYC: No notebook today?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:16 PM ET ) No.

Dave, Cincinnati: Who in the WORLD is going to fight Paul Williams??

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:18 PM ET ) Maybe Dzindziruk, who Williams is mandatory for. The sides have talked from what I am told. Solid fight.

David (NY, NY): What should I have to eat with the fight tomorrow?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:19 PM ET ) How about some quesadillas?

Carl (Springfield): Whats your normal routine the day of a fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:21 PM ET ) There is often a press conference of some kind in the morning. This Saturday I will probably have some ESPN TV things to do. But I type in all of my notes I need for the fight and undercard stuff. Records, basic info I may need at my fingertips. I fill out my scorecards of the bouts I will score and get the officials. At some point, I usually just lay down and watch TV for a half hour or so or take a cat nap. Then it's time to shower and get dressed and head down to the press room and I try to get into the arena for the first fight and then it's a long night.

Rick (Paterson): buy or sell, hatton loses and fires Floyd Sr?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:22 PM ET ) Buy.

Nick (Harrisburg, PA): Do you feel that your ability to cover boxing is hampered by the fact that you've never stepped inside a ring to test yourself against another man?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:24 PM ET ) That is just stupid. So what? People cover the President and have never been the President. People cover all sorts of sports who never played their sport. That is just ignorant.

steve, pittsburgh: how much is each fighter making tomorrow night?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:24 PM ET ) They are each guaranteed at least $13 million.

Banishment: Nick, come test yourself with me!!!

Jeff (OH): DTM, if I run into you out on the town in Vegas, I'm buying you a Sprite buddy!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:25 PM ET ) Cool.

Kyle (Indianapolis): Do you get a vote for the trainer of the year award?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:25 PM ET ) Yes.

Benvenuto (Miami): Vegas odds are 3:1 right now for Dan the Man to knock out Nick in Harrisburg.

Joel Julio: Dad? I know it's been a while, but I want to make you proud. Who should I be fighting next?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:27 PM ET ) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the Love Child. Nothing in the works, but I think another ESPN-type fight or two and let's see what you have left.

David (NY, NY): I think my ability to ask Dan Rafael questions is hampered by the fact that I have never actually been Dan Rafael.

mitchel-houston: DTM, a few years ago I told you that I was skipping my girlfriend's sister's wedding in order to watch Taylor-Hopkins. You said that day that you were proud of me like I was your own son....Well guess what? Tomorrow is her other sister's wedding and rumor has it there is a big fight tomorrow night!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:28 PM ET ) Your wife's family needs a link to my ESPN.com fight schedule pronto.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:28 PM ET ) How many more sisters are there? Jeeez.

Tommy(Detroit): Hey Danno, are you staying in the same hotel as Pac?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:29 PM ET ) No, even though the fight is at MGM, where the media and Hatton are, Manny is more comfortable at Mandalay Bay, which is where he and his team is staying.

JP (Columbus, OH): My ability to interpret financial ratios for my company is hampered because I have never actually been a financial ratio
embarassed.gif
(

Silv (NY, NY): Does Michael Moorer smile? Ever? Damn, that's a dour cat. What, if any, impact does having another body training him have on Manny?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:30 PM ET ) Yes, he does smile. I sat with him for a little bit yesterday and he indeed smiled.

Freak Hall of Fame (Bristol, CT): Welcome Mitchel.....

Nick (Harrisburg, PA): Dan...that was not me...you know my comments well enough to know that. I suspect my girlfriend or another fight freak friend of mine.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:30 PM ET ) Freak espionage!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:32 PM ET ) Hey Freaks, put on ESPN2's First Take and catch the replay in moments on our earlier segment on the fight,

Ross (Indianapolis, IN): DTM, speaking of the WWE, did you catch Backlash on PPV last Sunday? I LOVED the Cena-Edge fight! I'm glad you are a fellow Edge-head! With Edge and Christian holding two of the three major titles, I think we have another E & C Dynasty on the way! And that totally reeks of awesomeness!!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:32 PM ET ) Totally enjoyed it.

Dennis, Bremerton, WA : A lot of people are pointing to how good Hatton looked against Managie, his last fight. But is easy to looked good against someone who can't hurt you. He only had 5 KO's.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:34 PM ET ) That is a valid point. Ricky didn't have to worry about what was coming back at him like he will against Manny.

Walter (FL): Uh oh..did you say watch First Take? We're not going to hear a bunch of inane questions are we?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:35 PM ET ) Not this time. It's coming on now after this commercial.

Brandon.... Mobile [via mobile]: Why is Hatton getting no respect for his speed and quickness?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:36 PM ET ) Because he's not nearly as fast as Manny,.

Kyle (Indianapolis): Who is your favorite trainer to deal with at press events?
Pacquaio

Tyler/ SLC, UT: You are representing your entire country. Does the pressure get to you?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: No, the pressure doesn't get to me. I like to perform and entertain.

Aaron (Denver): What are the keys to you countering the constant pressure Hatton will bring to the fight?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: My speed, my in and out movement and my legs will be the keys to countering Hatton.

nick(quezon city,philippines): What do you think of Roach's statement that you'll knockout Hatton in 3 rounds?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: (laughing) That's his opinion. My job is to train for a twelve round fight. Hatton is a good fighter and I'm prepared for it to be a war.

Tim (Pittsburgh, PA): Manny, what do you expect from Hatton on saturday?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: I expect Ricky to be at his best. I expect him to be prepared.

louie (san pablo city,laguna): Do you perform any ritual before you go into your fights?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: They only ritual I have is praying. I ask for protection for me and my opponent and for me to fight my best.

Maciek from Poland: Do you think you are the best fighter in the world, better than hatton, mayweather or anybody else?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: I think of myself as a good fighter. I work hard in the gym and do by best in every fight that I have.

Derek (Houston, TX): I saw on the HBO show that your mother will be attending a fight of yours for the first time ever. Where will she sit? Would you want her as close to the ring as possible, or further away, out of your eyesight?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: My mom will sit in the first row. She will be one of my inspirations.

Karol, Gdynia (Poland): Nowadays you are the best boxing champion in the world. At what age did you realize that you could be the number one of pound-for-pound fighter in the world?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: Last year when I turned 29. My goal wasn't to be No. 1, it was to fight well and give the people what the want to see.

Korben: (Kearny, NJ):: Do you see a move back up to welterweight in your future or do you intend to stay within the lightweight-light welter range?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: I think I can fight at any weight between 140-147. I'm still a growing boy.

Brian (Sacramento, CA): Manny, What have you done to prepare for Hatton?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: Train, train, train. Work hard and watch film.

Brian aka Fila(Las Vegas, NV): If you win this fight Saturday, do you want to fight Mayweather Jr. next in the fall???

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: I'll fight anybody that my promoter puts in front of me but there aren't a lot of fighters out there that want to fight me.

Derek (Houston, TX): Manny: I've really enjoyed watching the HBO show. Does having cameras around while you train distract you at all, or does it give you an advantage in knowing that the world is watching some of your training sessions?

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: Thank you for watching. Sometimes it's a distraction. At first it was hard to adjust but now I'm used to them. The crew members are my friends now.

sn2.gif
Manny Pacquiao: Thank you to all my fans for their support. Tune in Saturday, May 2 to HBO/PPV at 9 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT to see me against Ricky Hatton live from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Rest of Dan's:

Kyle (Indianapolis): Who is your favorite trainer to deal with at press events?

Dan Rafael: (1:41 PM ET ) Most of the trainers are great to deal with. Floyd and Freddis are terrific to deal with. Emanuel Steward is a pleasure, BuddyMcGirt, Dan Birmingham, you name it and they are almost all great with the press.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike (San Diego, CA): I'm impressed how quickly HBO is able to get 24/7 edited and on the air. It makes it so much better that what you are seeing happenedonly a few days ago.

Dan Rafael: (1:41 PM ET ) They do an awesome job. They won four Emmys the other night for previous series of the show and they are all well deserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron (Hartford): Dan, did you talk to Froch at all after the fight..he seems like a pretty down to earth and cool guy ?

Dan Rafael: (1:43 PM ET ) Carl is a very personable guy and seems to enjoy the media, which makes my job a lot easier. He's confident in himself and likesto talk and is interesting to listen to.

Andrew (Toronto): That is impressive...Bill Clinton calling Team Paquiao for a meet and greet

Paul (Lincoln, Nebraska): Dan, do you know which HBO commentators are doing the fight?

Dan Rafael: (1:46 PM ET ) Lampley, Merchant and Emanuel.

Swine Flu: Can anyone point me to WBC headquarters please?

Adrian Aliso Viejo: What do you think was Hatton's biggest win against?

Dan Rafael: (1:47 PM ET ) Tszyu, by far.

President Obama: Well, as i've said before, Ricky has cause for concern, but not panic. We are monitoring the situation closely and i receive updates on anhourly basis.

Brandon (London): Hey Dan here in England they have reported Breaking News that Mayweather and JMM will meet on July 18 and it is official but you are theofficial source of the freaks so what have you heard.

Dan Rafael: (1:48 PM ET ) Whoever reported that as a done deal is just wrong.

Bird Flu: I'd like to challenge Swine Flu to a fight. Everyone is forgetting about me. This is my un-retirement fight

Fab (Austin, TX): After this fight, which one are you most pumped to watch the rest of the year?

Dan Rafael: (1:52 PM ET ) I am looking forward to Cotto-Clottey, of course.

Felix (NY): Dan - im so excited to hear that Iron Boy will be fighting at MSG on the Cotto undercard - i will be there and encourage all freaks to tune in towatch one of the most underated, best technicians in the sport. Its about time the boxing world shows appreciation for this guy - Dan, i know you always have.

Dan Rafael: (1:53 PM ET ) It's good he's on the card but his fight is not on HBO.

SARS: The WBC made me mandatory for the winner of Swine and Bird flu.

Dan Rafael: (1:54 PM ET ) Hilarious.

fj(ny): Considering both fighters huge rabid fan bases, any chance the weigh-in later could be more electric than Hatton-Mayweather?

Dan Rafael: (1:55 PM ET ) Doubtful.

Philip (Las Vegas, NV): Sky Sports and The Guardian are saying that Mayweather/Marquez is a done deal.

Dan Rafael: (1:55 PM ET ) They're wrong. It may get done but it ain't done yet.

Shark Attacks: Yo Bird flu! I see you are still too scared to call out the all time over-hyped media champion.

Chris (Oxford, UK): DTM, I submit a question, leave work, drive the hour-and-a-half home through rush hour traffic and you're still chatting - truly theKing. Anyway, another try. Brit most likely to be a world champion at the end of '09: Hatton, Haye, Khan or Froch?

Dan Rafael: (1:56 PM ET ) Froch or Khan.

Denny Crane (Boston, Mass.): Mr. R., when all of the boxing writers get together for an event like tomorrow's fight, do you guys get get together tocompare notes and talk trade?

Dan Rafael: (1:57 PM ET ) Sure, it's part of the fun of covering the event to see all the boys and talk shop.

British Media (England): We lie....sorry.

Ebola (Dem. Rep. of Congo): Why can't I get a fight? The flus have been ducking me!

Brandon (Arlington, VA): Danno, as a long time follower, I must say this might be my last chat. I'm watching the fight over at my Filipino friend'shouse with his friends in family... I'm showing up wearing my Man City jersey, a union jack tied around my neck, a box of fish and chips and a case ofBoddingtons... Just know I died for a good cause.

Dan Rafael: (1:58 PM ET ) Good luck, Freak.

Black Plague: You guys are amateurs.

WBA: Swine Flu is now rated #2 and is line for an interim title shot

Alex (Clev, OH): Will Mosley wait for the winner of tomorrows fight or the "almost done" Floyd v JMM fight?

Dan Rafael: (2:00 PM ET ) He wants any of the big names -- Manny-Hatton winner, Floyd, Cotto, you name it.

Darin (Savoy,IL): Does Arum really think two four rounders and a fight a guy needed a week to get ready for constitutes an improved undercard?

Dan Rafael: (2:01 PM ET ) No, Arum and Richard Schaefer, who shares the card with Arum, thinks so.

Hoof and Mouth : I am the WBA Disease Champion in Recess!

Patrick (Boston): Dan, Is this fight that much of a mis-match? Everyone seems to be picking Pacman?

Dan Rafael: (2:04 PM ET ) They may pick Manny but most people believe it will be highly entertaining anyway.

Kyle (Indianapolis): Do you ever hang out with any of the fighters and have a beer with them without interview them?

Dan Rafael: (2:05 PM ET ) It's happened a few times, sure.

Jose Suliaman (WBC): We are stripping Malaria of its Champion Emeritus status because it has definitely decided not to defend against Swine Flu. Further,Malaria is a big sissy and I'm going to come to its Mama's house and slap it around, regardless of how much class it showed during its championshiptenure.

Peanut Butter Recall: I got a bum rap- i need a chance to redeem myself

Dan G (NY, NY): Hey Dan, Any chance Hatton will last past the 9th round?

Dan Rafael: (2:06 PM ET ) The over under is 9.5 so many believe it will go past 9.

Dan Rafael: (2:08 PM ET ) OK, Freaks, thanks for a great chat. If you want more on the fight, read all of our coverage and tune into SportsCenter at 2:40 ETand also check our live weigh in coverage. Hope you all enjoy the big fight. Talk to you next week. Peace.

^ This.

Kirkland scratched from fightComment Email Print Share By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive Junior middleweight contender James Kirkland, who remains in federal custody on a weapons charge, was scratched Friday from the Ricky Hatton-MannyPacquiao HBO PPV undercard in Las Vegas, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.

Kirkland, 25, was arrested during a traffic stop in his hometown of Austin, Texas, and booked Sunday afternoon. He was charged with unlawful possession of afirearm by a felon, according to the Travis County Sherriff's Department Web site.

Kirkland was due to face Michael Walker in a 10-round televised bout at the MGM Grand on May 2.

According to Schaefer, the judge presiding over Kirkland's case rejected a petition to allow Kirkland to travel to Las Vegas with the guarantee that hewould return to Austin on May 3.

Schaefer said Golden Boy, Kirkland's attorney and his co-manager Michael Miller were willing to hire an off-duty police officer approved by the court toescort Kirkland to Las Vegas and stay with him 24 hours a day.

"We were going to assume the responsibility and guarantee the judge that James would come to Las Vegas on Wednesday or Thursday, fight on Saturday andreturn home on Sunday under the strict supervision of an off-duty police officer. The judge wouldn't allow it."

Kirkland (25-0, 22 KOs), one of boxing's most ferocious punchers and emerging contenders, is on probation for a 2003 armed robbery that cost him 2½ yearsof his career.

The legal issues have sidetracked a fighter on the fast track to stardom. After stopping Joel "Love Child" Julio in six rounds on March 7, Kirklandwas quickly lined up for the May 2 fight. Had Kirkland won, he was due back in an HBO main event in early August to possibly challenge for a world title.

"We support James and we want him to take care of his issues," Schaefer said. "We're not going to abandon him because he has a seriousproblem that he is facing."

Schaefer said that if middleweight prospect Daniel Jacobs (14-0, 13 KOs) wins his fight on tonight's "Friday Night Fights" card in Chicagoagainst Jose Varela (23-5, 16 KOs), and comes out uninjured, Jacobs likely will assume Kirkland's place on the pay-per-view card and face Walker (19-1-2,12 KOs).

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer

Bernard Hopkins (Philly / Deleware): We are prepared to offer Froch 100 dollars, 10 tickets to the fight, and an autographed picture of me in my executionaer mask. Do you think he'll take my offer?

roll.gif

Mike (San Diego, CA): Excited to see Erislandy Lara in person tomorrow. What is your take on him early in his career?

pimp.gif
Lara is definitely my favorite youngfighter
Benvenuto (Miami): We always talk about Mayweather willinf to fight for money, its all about money. What do you think it would cost to get him into the ring with Paul Williams?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (12:58 PM ET ) 400 billion.

roll.gif

Bernard Hopkins (Philly / Deleware): Alright fine Froch, 200 dollars, 15 tickets, and an autographed picture of me in my executioner mask! FINAL OFFER!

laugh.gif

Dave, Cincinnati: Who in the WORLD is going to fight Paul Williams??

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (1:18 PM ET ) Maybe Dzindziruk, who Williams is mandatory for. The sides have talked from what I am told. Solid fight.

OKay
smokin.gif

Alex (Clev, OH): Will Mosley wait for the winner of tomorrows fight or the "almost done" Floyd v JMM fight?

Dan Rafael: (2:00 PM ET ) He wants any of the big names -- Manny-Hatton winner, Floyd, Cotto, you name it.
Any of those happen would be HUGE!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Chavez Jr aint even ready for PacMan Jones forget about Manny
roll.gif

How often is BoxRec updated? This is their P4P list:
[table][tr][td]1[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Bernard Hopkins[/td] [td]light heavyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Shane Mosley[/td] [td]welterweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Juan Manuel Marquez[/td] [td]lightweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Vic Darchinyan[/td] [td]super flyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Manny Pacquiao[/td] [td]light welterweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Chad Dawson[/td] [td]light heavyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Kelly Pavlik[/td] [td]middleweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Vitali Klitschko[/td] [td]heavyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Ricky Hatton[/td] [td]light welterweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Nonito Donaire[/td] [td]flyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Hozumi Hasegawa[/td] [td]bantamweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Arthur Abraham[/td] [td]middleweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Daisuke Naito[/td] [td]flyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Wladimir Klitschko[/td] [td]heavyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Pongsaklek Wonjongkam[/td] [td]flyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Denkaosan Kaovichit[/td] [td]flyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Felix Sturm[/td] [td]middleweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Celestino Caballero[/td] [td]super bantamweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Carl Froch[/td] [td]super middleweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Edgar Sosa[/td] [td]light flyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Paul Williams[/td] [td]light middleweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Juan Manuel Lopez[/td] [td]super bantamweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Alexander Munoz[/td] [td]super flyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Omar Andres Narvaez[/td] [td]flyweight[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Malcolm Klassen[/td] [td]super featherweight[/td] [/tr][/table]

^ haha nice avy... Let the hype begin. ESPN reporting thousands showing up for the weigh in hours before its scheduled. Most of them singing one ricky hatton.

btw: can someone post the finale of 24/7 as soon as it is possible thanks in advance

It looks like a decent undercard. If I can get enough of my studying for finals / homework done, I may actually take a break and at least watch the lastcouple leading up to the fight. It looks like it should be entertaining, if nothing else.

Anybody know when/if the weigh in is being televised? They're usually around 2/2:30 pt, but I can't find any info.

Edit: Gracias Proshares.

If you go to ESPN.com's boxing home page it has a link to watch it live @ 5:30ET (so 2:30PT).

Edit: Bert's Chat.

Bert Sugar: I am here at the MGM Grand the sight of the fight of th year, maybe the century (in this ninth year of the century). A fight that is being held on Cinco de Mayo, being celebrated in America, at Las Vegas between a Brit and a Filipino, there may be more national anthems than are played at the UN. It promises to attract worldwide attention and the attention of anyone who is a fight fan. Let's go with your questions.

David Denver CO: With all of the undercards, what time would you guess the Pac/Hatton fight will start?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: It is supposed to start at 11 ET time, but I;ve never seen any of these start on time, and with all the anthems, it could be next week.

Garry Macon, Ga: Sugar, I would not bet on this Pac fight. Would you?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: While I do not bet on fights, conflict of interest, but if I did, I would bet on Hatton. The odds are lush., It is an arrivederci. A goodbye. Remember, the odds makers in Vegas have been consistently wrong, Pavlik 5 to 1 to Hopkins, an Hopkins won, Cotto 2.5 to 1 favorite to Maragarito, and Margarito won, Margarito was a 3 to 1 favorite against Mosley and Mosley won and De La Hoya was 3 to 1 over Pacman and Pacman won. Are you getting the message? Of course I did pick Japan in WWII, but I had 7.5 points, and I felt good until the Battle of Midway. But this fight is a lot closer than the odds favoring Pacquaio.

Eddie: Alright Bert, where do you get the hats? And should we lift the travel embargo to Cuba..you know, for the cigars?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Working backwards, with all the troubles we are having with the economy, we need to worry about Cuba and an embargo? Drop it and send me my cigars. As for the hats, there are plenty of great places on the internet such as stetson and worth&worth. But come Memorial Day until Labor Day we change from fedoras to panamas, even though panamas are made in Ecuador.

Sir Chris London England: Where do you rank Hatton compared to pacquiao openents? Is he the best or worst of the legends he has faced?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I think Hatton is right in the mix. Assuredly Juan Manuel Marquez would be considered better, and at their peak (although he fought him after that) Morales and Barrera would be considered better. But it is all relative. And everything is relative outside of Even telling Adam about all the men she could have married. Still Hatton is a formidable opponent.,

eric new york [via mobile]: I don't see anyway Hatton can nuetralize Manny's speed and agility. Do you and how? Thank you.

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Well, this speed and accuracy and precision of Pacman;s punches are far superior to Hatton's. But Hatton will have a 10 to 15 lbs advantage with re hydration and his fight is inside. That said, Pacquaio on the outside wins the fight, Hatton on the inside wins. This is fight of styles, and whoever imposes their will on the other wins. It is not as simple as saying he has speed, because speed does not work on the inside.

Chris ( so cal): Just wondering, do you see this fight going past 9 rounds? or a all out brawl!

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: There will be more than a few instances of fighting in the trenches, in a all-out war. But I see it going the distance.

Carlo, Philippines: What does Manny still need to accomplish in order to be considered the best of all time?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Beat Sugar Ray Robinson;s win record, but he already is the greatest Asian fighter of all-time. But I never see him being considered great than Robinson or Pep. But this is only degree of greatness not species. He already is a great.

Carlos Aguayza (Brooklyn, New York): Do you believe Manny will be able to compete at higher weight classes? Light Middleweight? Maybe even Middle weight like the great Armstrong did?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I am not sure I know what his REAL fighting weight is. He has won championship fights in three different weight classes, something only Armstrong did. I am still not sure what his true fighting weight is. What is it? And when will he hit the wall? His act of gaining and losing weight is astounding. Remember Armstrong won the 126lbs title, then the 174 welterweight, came down to win the 135 title and fougth for and got a draw with in the championship fight at the 160 middleweight level. I do not see Manny doing that!

Jhonel, FL: Hi Bert. I just want to know your pick for the fight and why. Thanks.

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I think it goes to a decision and Manny should win a close won. But, I would not be shocked if Hatton wins. This is going to be a very, very close and action-packed fight. And again I must tell you that while I have not often been right I have been more right than the odds makers. I give Hatton one helluvah chance. I think it depends how often he can get inside. The one fighter who gave Manny the most trouble was Aguatito Sanchez, who got more hits in on Manny than Pete Rose had career hits.

Mark (Brooksville, Fla.): Do you re-watch a fight again on a TV after attending the live fight? And aside from the atmosphere is TV viewing better to really "see" the bout?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Yes and no. I watch a lot of fights over an dover again, looking for different things. But in many cases, I turn the sound down so I am not in anyway given to following the blow by blow or the asides by the announcers, who might be seeing it different than me, and communicating it. Many a time I have heard announcers, at fights I have attended, describing it differently than what I am seeing. So I watch the bout with the sound down.

Jimmy (Arlington, VA): If Manny wins, do you give him any shot at beating Cotto?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I think Cotto is too big for him. When I talked about Manny's best fighting weight, I do not think it comes against a full-fledged middleweight.

Daniel (Detroit, MI): Bert...would a Pacquiao win over Hatton push him past Fighting Harada as the greatest Asian fighter of all time? Or are Harada's wins over Jofre, among others, enough to keep him at the top?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: I already have Manny rated above Harada and Pancho Villa and a win would just reinforce him as the greatest Asian fighter of all-time. Harada was a great fighter, but he has not done what Manny has done, leaping all over division.

Smitty...Colebrook New Hampshire: Can you adequately evaluate a current fighter's place in the history of the sport or do you prefer to wait a bit until they're done and retired for good?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Good question. My preference is to view their entire career before I put my stamp on it. But there are times, like Manny's career, when you can begin assessing how their career is and where it i going. Sometimes it is premature and sometimes it is not, but with all that Pacquaio has accomplished you can begin to !#++* his greatness. I would love to wait to assess Manny's full impact, but I cannot ignore what he has already done.

Brian (Brooklyn): Who had a better career ring accomplishments wise, Trinidad or De La Hoya?

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: De La Hoya. He never stepped back or finessed meeting anyone. I still believe he beat Trinidad. Even after the fight I tried to interview the three judges at that fight, but I never got the interview having tripped over their seeing eye dogs.

sn2.gif
Bert Sugar: Thank you for the great questions, which only serve to reinforce my belief we are about to watch the fight of the year, if not better. It's been fun. Let's do it again. And to plug my my new book "The Baseball HOF and Coffee Table Book," with four legs, in case you need a coffee table, is out. And on the back cover Yogi Berra is quoted as saying, "What Bert Sugar knows about baseball, nobody knows." What does that mean? Thanks again, Bert.
roll.gif

Proshares, next sig.
pimp.gif

I was talking to my dad yesterday, telling him it's so strange how such a bad dude has a chant based on Winter Wonderland.
smh.gif
laugh.gif

I'll be getting off work early tomorrow night to watch,
pimp.gif
Can't WAIT. I'm not picking sides, I just want to see a good fight.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

What's AC Slater doing up there? LOL

Dude is ring side at a lot of fights. I'm assuming he's a huge boxing fan, and probably knows a lot of thedudes involved in this fight.

True. I had no idea. I just thought it was kind of unusual to see him up onstage at such an important event. Maybe he trains or is in with people who are inthat circle

Yeah, AC is huge on boxing. Trains in one of the big gyms in socal pretty often, might be Wildcard. He's actually been color analyst for somesmaller/regional cable fights and a guest on Friday Night Fights on occasion. Usually celebrities trying to talk about sports like they're experts pissesme off, but i kinda like Slater. He seems to really love it and shows up to all types of small cards as well as the big time ones, and actually has the ballsto at least get in the gym and spar with people.

Back
Top Bottom