09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Is the Joseph Agbeko/Vic Darchinyan fight the only one they're broadcasting on Saturday? Why cant USS Cunningham/Big Truck get some airtime? That should bea good fight.

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

Dzinziruk has stated before that he's willing to come to the US for the fight.

Hmm...then I don't see what HBO is waiting for or why it is having 2nd thoughts on the fight. Guess we gotta wait and see.

Is the Joseph Agbeko/Vic Darchinyan fight the only one they're broadcasting on Saturday? Why cant USS Cunningham/Big Truck get some airtime? That should be a good fight.
Showtime messed up on that one...they're showing the main event and the DeMarco fight.

http://fighthype.com/pages/content5217.html

Pac wants the fight at 142-143...
indifferent.gif
. Cotto should demand fornothing below 145 or just leave. As for Pac, he should fight this guy at 147, or else the critics will be all over him.

Super middleweight tournament scuttlebutt

Thursday, July 9, 2009 | Print Entry

Your weekly random thoughts …

• First things first: I love the idea of the six-man super middleweight tournament being spearheaded by Showtime. I wish other divisions had similar plans.Imagine the kinds of fights we'd see if there was one at welterweight or junior welterweight?

If the Showtime round-robin at 168 pounds is finalized, I think it might be the biggest boxing story of the year.

For those who missed my July 4 blog (yeah, I've been knownto work holidays) on the tournament, it's a nine-fight round-robin of pre-determined bouts followed by semifinals and a final. The tournament wouldcommence in October and finish in May or June of 2011. Fighters will fight at least three times with the top four advancing to the seeded semifinals on apoints system.

The tournament includes six of the top names in the division: titleholders Mikkel Kessler and Carl Froch, formermiddleweight champ Jermain Taylor, rising contenders Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell and middleweight titlistArthur Abraham, who would dump his belt at 160 pounds and move up in weight to participate. It has the potential to be very exciting foreveryone involved, including boxing fans around the world.

Showtime is working hard to get it all wrapped up with the hope of staging a kickoff news conference on Monday in New York. That's not a lot of advancewarning, but hopefully everyone who needs to sign paperwork will in time. But when you're dealing with six fighters and five promoters spread across fourcountries, things can get complicated. It's no wonder Showtime boxing honcho Ken Hershman hasn't found time to respond to mediainquiries, even with a no comment.

From what I hear, there are a few issues holding up the announcement. One is the promotional status of Kessler. He has been in a legal battle with Danishpromoter Mogens Palle, who has been working on a settlement that would see German promoter Sauerland Event, which also handles Abraham, takeover Kessler's contract. But it's not done yet.

There are also more mundane issues, such as the travel. Besides a New York news conference, Showtime also wants media events in Europe next week and therehas been some bickering over who will foot the bill for such expensive last-minute overseas travel. These big deals really do come down to the minutiasometimes.

Talking to various sources and hearing how this thing is unfolding is sort of like watching sausage get made. At the end of the day, most people don'treally care about that. They just want to eat it.

Boxing fans, I believe, just want to see the fights happen.

I've heard some criticisms here and there, however. Some have wondered why Taylor, who is 1-3 in his last four, including two knockout losses, wasinvited to participate. That's fair. Some have railed against the exclusion of titleholder Lucian Bute. Some have asked why isn't itan eight-man single elimination tournament?

Those are all legitimate questions, but nothing is perfect. Tournaments are hard to put together. This one is ambitious and I will be thankful if it comesoff even close to the way it is outlined in the master contract.

• For the record, Don Majeski, an agent for Bute and his promoter, InterBox, told me that Bute did not reject an invitation to thetournament as some have said. He said Bute was never invited. If that's true, it's a travesty.

• I always thought that Wladimir Klitschko would have knocked out David Haye had their June 20 fight come off. Haye,unfortunately, pulled out on short notice. Now, it looks like Haye is going to fight for Vitali Klitschko's title on Sept. 12 instead.Guess what? I think Vitali will smoke Haye even easier than I thought Wladimir would have.

• Now that Shane Mosley has returned to reality and plans to fight this fall (having finally realized that he isn't going to getManny Pacquiao), I have this funny feeling that he will wind up facing Zab Judah. Just a feeling.

• Seems like Floyd "Money" Mayweather ought change his nickname to "Needs Money." According to public records obtainedby the Associated Press, Mayweather is millions in debt. Mayweather's tax issues have been an open secret, but seeing the specific numbers was stillsurprising. The AP's report paints a pretty harsh portrait of the fighter whohas been known to travel carrying tens of thousands of dollars in a paper bag (I've seen it) and who brags about his supposed wealth. But according to thereport, he owes the IRS $6.17 million, not to mention $193,000 in back taxes to New Jersey, $9,400 to three homeowners associations, $3,900 to a contractor whodid work in his home and even $320.10 to his garbage collector. Come on, man, at least pay the trash man! Mayweather is a tremendous fighter and maybe helegitimately misses the competition and the roar of the crowd. But anyone believes that money isn't the driving reason for him coming out of retirement iscrazy.

• Heavyweight contender Eddie Chambers was in tremendous condition for his impressive win last week against AlexanderDimitrenko. If only he had been in that kind of shape when he fought Alexander Povetkin, who handed him his only loss.

• Here are a few guys I'd like to see get some exposure (or even more exposure) on American television: Jorge Linares, MarcosMaidana, Fernando Guerrero and Jean Pascal.

• The clowns at the WBA are at it yet again. Once again, they'll have three so-called champions in the same division, which means triples thesanctioning fees. It must be a great gig when you can get into three different pockets and be paid three times for the same thing. The latest abomination iscourtesy of the lightweight division, where Juan Manuel Marquez reigns as the "super champion" and Paulus Moses isthe "regular champion." On July 25 the horrific hat trick will be completed when the winner of the Urbano Antillon-MiguelAcosta bout is declared "interim champion." It's an absolute disgrace and a farce. Why is it that anyone still takes this wretchedorganization seriously?

• So how are those big plans for Tavoris Cloud coming along?

• I am quite intrigued by the Aug. 15 heavyweight fight between American Kevin Johnson and Cuban Odlanier Solis, both ofwhom are undefeated and risking a lot. One question though -- why is this fight on a Top Rank pay-per-view card, especially one featuring Filipinos? A fightlike this belongs on HBO's "Boxing After Dark."

• So, Johnny Tapia is back in jail. I'm just shocked.

• Welterweight Delvin Rodriguez has been a staple of ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" for years. IsaacHlatshwayo has also appeared on the network, including his upset of Nate Campbell. So it is particularly disappointing that theirAug. 1 fight for a vacant world title (and a rematch of last fall's exciting draw) won't be seen on ESPN2. The only American television for the boutwill be regional cable. But if any fight ought to be on FNF, Rodriguez-Hlatshwayo II is it.

• I'm still totally bummed that Andreas Kotelnik's junior welterweight title defense against Amir Khan next weekin England is not being televised, even on pay-per-view, in the United States.

DVD pick of the week: There was a time when important fights were a staple of network television. I miss those days, but fortunately Ihave many of those old matches in my archive. So I went back to Sept. 3, 1988 in Atlantic City, N.J., for a fight that would absolutely be on HBO or Showtimeif happened today. Back then it was an afternoon fight on ABC. It was 21-year-old Meldrick Taylor against Buddy McGirt.Taylor was a 21-year-old prodigy four years removed from winning an Olympic gold medal. McGirt was an experienced veteran riding a 10-fight winning streak andmaking his second junior welterweight title defense. Taylor, however, had the faster hands and harder punches. He outboxed McGirt and wore him down. Finally,Taylor notched the 12th-round TKO when McGirt trainer Al Certo jumped in the ring to save his man, who was cut, getting tagged with ease andclearly out of gas. Less than two years later, Taylor would lose the title in his unification match against Julio Cesar Chavez.

• Now that Shane Mosley has returned to reality and plans to fight this fall (having finally realized that he isn't going to get Manny Pacquiao), I have this funny feeling that he will wind up facing Zab Judah. Just a feeling.

indifferent.gif
....This fight doesnt make any sense. Zab is official gatekeeper status, why even bother?

For the record, Don Majeski, an agent for Bute and his promoter, InterBox, told me that Bute did not reject an invitation to the tournament as some have said. He said Bute was never invited. If that's true, it's a travesty.
That's pretty foul. He's going to pick Andrade apart again and then what? Wait until '1 to get a fight. Get Jermain and Dirrell outof there IMO. Dirrell would get mopped by everyone in there and I'm a big fan of his.

Originally Posted by Proshares

For the record, Don Majeski, an agent for Bute and his promoter, InterBox, told me that Bute did not reject an invitation to the tournament as some have said. He said Bute was never invited. If that's true, it's a travesty.
That's pretty foul. He's going to pick Andrade apart again and then what? Wait until '1 to get a fight. Get Jermain and Dirrell out of there IMO. Dirrell would get mopped by everyone in there and I'm a big fan of his.
How about Allan Green as a possible bout with Lucian Bute. Green lightweight called him out after his win on the JT/Froch undercard.
indifferent.gif
....This fight doesnt make any sense. Zab is official gate keeper status, why even bother?
I may be in the minority on this board, but I LIKE that fight. 6 years ago Zab had all the hype in the world, then a few lackluster performancesall his fans leave.
eyes.gif
IMO, he's still can give top fightersproblems......

But I don't think Judah/Shane is going to happen. Shane wants to sign a fight ASAP to secure a bout for this year.....he would have to wait til Sept. tosign a bout with Judah.

6 years ago Zab had all the hype in the world, then a few lackluster performances all his fans leave.
eyes.gif
IMO, he's still can give top fighters problems......

This is the problem with Zab, he's still living off his unrealized potential/hype from a decade ago. He is a gatekeeper now, his time has passed. I wasat his last fight @ MSG, was putting people to sleep. He is a has been.

unless he backs out of his fight with Hatton

What's going to make him more money? It could happen.

A fight with Zab isn't happening unless he backs out of his fight with Hatton or the Mayweather fight gets postponed again. So stop worrying
laugh.gif

And Rob with Green I'm not sure...dude is never consistent and Bute is a very underrated boxer. He outclassed Andrade for 11 rounds...looked better thanKessler did against Andrade.

Some good news towards the tournament...

[h2]Kessler signs with promoter Sauerland[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Super middleweight titlist Mikkel Kessler of Denmark signed Thursday with German promoter Sauerland Event, clearing a major hurdle to his entrance into Showtime's six-man super middleweight tournament, but perhaps creating another potential pothole.

"We are thrilled to welcome one of the world's most popular and most respected boxers to the Sauerland family," Sauerland Event general manager Chris Meyer said in making the announcement at a news conference in Copenhagen. "We have big plans for Mikkel."

box_g_kessler1_65.jpg

Kessler

Kessler (41-1, 31 KOs) had been involved in a dispute with Danish promoter Mogens Palle that kept him out of the ring since October. With the dispute apparently resolved, Sauerland Event signed him.

Kessler is supposed to be one of six top 168-pound fighters to take part in a round-robin tournament Showtime is trying to put the finishing touches on this week. The others who are supposed to be involved are titleholder Carl Froch, former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, rising American contenders and 2004 Olympic medalists Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell and Arthur Abraham, a middleweight titlist who would give up his belt and move up in weight.

Kessler's first bout of the tournament, which is supposed to begin in October with the first of 12 bouts before a winner is crowned in mid-2011, is supposed to take place Nov. 7 in the United States against Ward.

However, Sauerland Event announced that Kessler's next fight would be a mandatory defense against the obscure Gusmyl Perdomo (16-2, 10 KOs) of Venezuela. The July 3 deadline for the sides to make a deal for that fight came and went, so the WBA is expected to call for a purse bid any day, Meyer told ESPN.com. The fight would take place 45 to 90 days after the bid, meaning it could be a very tight schedule for Kessler between the Perdomo fight and the Ward bout. Of course, there is also the possibility that Perdomo beats Kessler. If that happens, it is unclear what would happen to the tournament plans, although Showtime could certainly replace him.

Without addressing the particulars of the tournament, Meyer said, "[The] plan is first the mandatory then the rest."

Whatever the plan is, Kessler is looking forward to fighting again. He has been out of action since a third-round knockout of Danilo Haussler on Oct. 25 in Germany and the ensuing dispute with Palle.

"It was very disappointing to be inactive for such a long time," said Kessler, 31, who has won two in a row since his lone loss to Joe Calzaghe in November 2007. "I am incredibly pleased that I can start boxing again both in Denmark and on the world stage. All the major promoters were interested, but I have chosen to sign a contract with Team Sauerland because they have had the best offer on every point. This includes everything from the capability of arranging the big and interesting matches to the financial agreements."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

The pic they had on the front page...

box_g_jtaylor1_576.jpg

Ill never get why people still care about Zab Judah . i dug up an old mag from right before the Zab vs Kostya fight and just busted out laughing

its about time yall jump off that bum judah bandwagon most of yall still been on the last few years

^^^ I remember screaming at my television.....
mad.gif
damn you JT.

SMH....Kessler fights that mandatory.

Why wouldn't Ward fight Froch first? In fact, I was looking at the round robin schedule, and they don't even have Froch and Ward matched up.

They don't want Ward to go the way of Jermain I guess.

Kessler should just vacate and move on to the tournament. Mandatory is risky especially after that long lay off. May lose some money doing so but itwouldn't compare to what you lose if you get replaced in this tourney.

laugh.gif
Scott Frost wrote:

Originally Posted by Proshares

The pic they had on the front page...

box_g_jtaylor1_576.jpg
tired.gif

What was his corner thinking?

laugh.gif
But seriously who DIDNT know he was about toget Kay'd in that 12th round...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and my plans have hit a major snag this weekend... Got tickets but cant go to the Darchynian/Agbeko fight
smh.gif

pimp.gif
Super Middeweight Tourney.

Since everyone on here roots for the favorites.....

I'm rooting for Andre Ward to win this +*$.

It's official. One thing I hate about it is that it's going take over a year to complete
sick.gif

Super Middleweight Tournament Officially Announced
Posted by: Mark Vester on 07-09-2009.

By Mark Vester

Showtime has officially informed BoxingScene.com that a press conference is scheduled for Monday, July 13, at New York's Madison Square Garden to officially announce the super middleweight tournament. Showtime has advised us that all six fighters will attend, including Arthur Abraham, Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell and Andre Ward. All of the promoters involved, Sauerland Event, Lou DiBella, Gary Shaw, Mick Henessey and Dan Goossen are scheduled to attend.

The tournament is scheduled to officially kick off in October with Froch facing Dirrell and Abraham facing Taylor.

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

It's official. One thing I hate about it is that it's going take over a year to complete
sick.gif

Super Middleweight Tournament Officially Announced
Posted by: Mark Vester on 07-09-2009.

By Mark Vester

Showtime has officially informed BoxingScene.com that a press conference is scheduled for Monday, July 13, at New York's Madison Square Garden to officially announce the super middleweight tournament. Showtime has advised us that all six fighters will attend, including Arthur Abraham, Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell and Andre Ward. All of the promoters involved, Sauerland Event, Lou DiBella, Gary Shaw, Mick Henessey and Dan Goossen are scheduled to attend.

The tournament is scheduled to officially kick off in October with Froch facing Dirrell and Abraham facing Taylor.

pimp.gif
gotta love it!
iLL SACRIFICE THE TIME PERIOD TO SEE ALL THE TOP GUYS FIGHT EACHOTHER

Back
Top Bottom