09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

laugh.gif
My bad.

Dre is that dude though. IMO, he's not ready for the top guns after only 19 pro fights. I'd like to see him fight Allan Green or Sakio Bika, then maybe Taylor before he fights a belt holder.
Would rather see him fight Green. Bika would be a much tougher fight IMO.

I see a flaw in that point system. Would a draw also equate to zero points? That could lead to problems when draws equals losses. IMO, zero points should beawarded to a draw and a point should be taken away with a loss.

Would rather see him fight Green. Bika would be a much tougher fight IMO.

Agreed 100%.
so is there a replacment fighter for when Jermain Taylor dies in that 1st fight?

laugh.gif

But real talk....I think JT got some gas left in the tank. He just needs to focus on cardio

I don't think his issue with stamina is something that's going to be easily corrected. I mean that's been his problem for a while and every timehe says he's well prepared yet he still fades.

2. Vitali Klitschko (37-2)

Since the Klitschko brothers will never fight each other, we won't really know for sure who the best heavyweight in the world is, but Vitali still has one of the titles, and was freed from a nonsensical mandatory obligation to Oleg Maskaev in binding arbitration, allowing him to move forward with a fight of his choice in the fall. It looks like it will be Haye in September.
Next: TBA.

10. B.J. Flores (23-0-1)

Flores announced during an appearance in the "Friday Night Fights" studio that his next bout will take place on the undercard of his promoter Roy Jones' match with Jeff Lacy.
Next: Aug. 15 vs. TBA.

2. Chad Dawson (28-0)

The winner of Dawson's rematch with Glen Johnson, which is likely to take place Nov. 7, is for the de facto light heavyweight championship, even though none of the main alphabet organizations are sanctioning it. That's their loss.
Next: TBA vs. Johnson.

2. Lucian Bute (24-0)

Bute will defend his title in a rematch with Librado Andrade in the fall. Andrade's promoter, Golden Boy, surprisingly won the purse bid to gain control of the fight, outbidding Bute's promoter, InterBox, offering $1.211 million to InterBox's $1.195 million.
Next: TBA vs. Andrade.

2. Arthur Abraham (30-0)

After a slow start, Abraham cranked it up and eventually dropped tough Mahir Oral, his former sparring partner, five times en route to an exciting 10th round TKO for a 10th title defense on June 27. Now, it appears Abraham is going to move up in weight so he can enter Showtime's super middleweight tournament. His first opponent is supposed to be Taylor in the fall.

3. Sergei Dzindziruk (36-0)

Dzindziruk owes interim titlist Williams a fight, and that would be interesting. Hopefully, HBO, which for whatever reason doesn't want the fight, will reconsider. It's a good match and definitely better than HBO-proposed matches with welterweights Joshua Clottey or Kermit Cintron.

smh.gif
@ HBO

4. Andre Berto (25-0)

Coming off a virtual shutout of junior welterweight titlist Juan Urango on May 30, Berto has been ordered to fight a rematch with former titlist Luis Collazo, who dropped a decision to Berto in a terrific fight in January. Bring it on.

8. Delvin Rodriguez (24-2-2).

Rodriguez will have the home-field advantage when he meets South Africa's Isaac Hlatshwayo for a vacant belt at the Mohegan Sun resort in Connecticut, Rodriguez's home state. Unfortunately, the fight has no national TV outlet because ESPN2's schedule didn't work with the date promoter Joe DeGuardia secured a site deal on.
Next: Aug. 1 vs. Hlatshwayo.

grin.gif

7. Marco Maidana (26-1)

In a terrific June 27 slugfest, the big puncher from Argentina survived three knockdowns and scored two of his own to rally for an impressive TKO of red-hot prospect Victor Ortiz, who quit during the sixth round. For what it's worth, Maidana picked up an interim belt to set himself up for a possible rematch with Kotelnik, who won a split decision against him in February.

4. Joel Casamayor (36-4-1)

The former champ is back in the gym training now that he has recovered from the bad back that forced him to pull out of an April 4 fight against former titlist Julio Diaz. One fight being discussed is a September fight with Edwin Valero.

RIP.

4. Robert Guerrero (24-1-1)

Fighting at lightweight, Guerrero beat down Efren Hinojosa until he retired after the eighth round with an arm injury June 12 on "Friday Night Fights." The win sets the stage for Guerrero to return to junior lightweight and challenge titlist Malcolm Klassen on HBO.

1. Israel Vazquez (43-4)

Vazquez, who vacated the title and plans to move up to featherweight, has been medically cleared to fight after three eye surgeries. He's looking forward to a fall comeback for his first fight since his epic third fight with Rafael Marquez in March 2008. It could be No. 4 with Marquez.

2. Joseph "King Kong" Agbeko (26-1)
Get ready for a barn burner, as Agbeko will defend his belt against junior bantamweight champion Vic Darchinyan on Showtime this summer in a match that could be a classic.
Next: July 11 vs. Darchinyan.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Can't wait.

4. Z Gorres (29-2-2)

The Philippines' Gorres stopped former strawweight titlist Roberto Leyva in the seventh round March 14. Gorres is two fights removed from a draw with division kingpin Darchinyan in February 2008.

Gorres and Nonito should just fight each other because they both know they're not getting the rematches they deserve
laugh.gif

http://twitter.com/stevemaxboxing
stevemaxboxingI hear that SMosley has ditched the Pacquiao fixation, will now look for other fights. Berto, is a possibility. GBoy and HBO to discuss
The promoter said Mosley's "marching orders" were for Schaefer to pursue a fight on HBO later this year against a field including another world welterweight champion, Andre Berto, or Paul Williams, Joshua Clottey or Kermit Cintron.

I think the story is on boxingscene as well.

[h2]Tapia violates parole, is jailed[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Former five-time world champion boxer Johnny Tapia is behind bars again.

The New Mexico Department of Corrections says Tapia was taken into custody and booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center in Albuquerque on Monday after violating the terms of his parole.

Corrections spokeswoman Tia Bland says Tapia traveled to Red River last weekend without permission from his parole officer. He also entered a bar while in Red River and was involved in some type of verbal confrontation, both violations of his parole.

The boxer was placed on a year of parole in May after a judge determined that he had violated the terms of an earlier release.

Tapia's most recent legal woes began in 2008 after he pleaded guilty to charges stemming from a near-fatal overdose and was sentenced to probation.

[h2]Johnson-Solis bout set for Aug. 15[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

In such a shallow heavyweight division it might take only one victory against a contender for another contender to make his name. That's what Kevin Johnson, Odlanier Solis and their handlers are counting on.

That's why the heavyweights will face each other in an unusual meeting of undefeated rising contenders without a major title on the line, or even a mandatory title shot at stake.

Johnson and Solis will meet in a scheduled 12-round bout at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas on Top Rank's Aug. 15 pay-per-view card.

Carl Moretti of Top Rank, which co-promotes Solis, and Star Boxing's Joe DeGuardia, Johnson's promoter, came to an agreement Monday night, they both told ESPN.com.

"The paperwork is being drawn up but everything has been agreed to," Moretti said. "It's an important fight for both guys."

Nonito Donaire, who gave up his flyweight title last week, is moving up to junior bantamweight to fight Rafael Concepcion for a vacant interim junior bantamweight belt in the main event. Also on the card, featherweight titlist Steven Luevano defends against Bernabe Concepcion.

However, the Johnson-Solis fight, which has been in discussion since mid-June, is perhaps the most intriguing bout on the card.

"I think it's a difficult fight in terms of style, but Kevin wants to show he can beat anyone out there," DeGuardia said. "David Haye won't step the plate, Cris Arreola won't step to the plate and the Klitschko brothers are occupied. So we are looking to make statements and this will be a statement fight. We want to make a mark so that HBO and Showtime wake up and see there is a real heavyweight in America."

Said Moretti, "The winner is going to have a shot on HBO I think. I think if HBO was doing another 'Night of the Young Heavyweights' card, clearly these are two guys who would be participating."

Johnson (22-0-1, 9 KOs), 29, has one of the best jabs in the division and has the gift of gab. He is also coming off an impressive sixth-round knockout of 2004 U.S. Olympian Devin Vargas on May 15 in an ESPN2 main event.

Solis (14-0, 10 KOs), also 29, won an Olympic gold medal for Cuba in 2004 before defecting and turning pro in 2007. In his last fight, Solis knocked out journeyman Dominique Alexander in the first round on June 12.

"Kevin will be facing his second undefeated Olympian in a row," DeGuardia said. "The heavyweight division could be alive with a guy like Kevin with his jab and his mouth. This is the kind of fight that will give the winner a lot of recognition."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Mosley moves on from Pacquiao dream

Monday, July 6, 2009 | Print Entry

Welterweight champ Shane Mosley fought the good fight in trying to convince pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao to fight him this fall.

He launched a vigorous campaign to get Pacquiao into the ring, enlisting his publicists to battle on his behalf with a series of press releases. He had his business partners at Golden Boy Promotions, Oscar De La Hoya and CEO Richard Schaefer, fighting for him. De La Hoya even made phone calls to select media members to plead Mosley's case.

Mosley also made all sorts of concessions in a bid to entice Pacquiao to fight him. Mosley said he'd ask for only 40 percent of the money and was willing to agree to a contract weight somewhere in the low 140s to appease the smaller Pacquiao.

But nothing worked because Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, with no disrespect to Mosley, had designs on another fight for Pacquiao. Arum is moving forward with plans to match Pacquiao with his other big star, welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto. Arum says he is close to making the deal under which Pacquiao and Cotto will meet Nov. 14 in Las Vegas on HBO PPV.

Mosley has now come to the realization that if he wants to fight before the end of the year, he'll have to find another dance partner. Pacquiao and Cotto (who already owns a close decision win against Mosley, who would like a rematch) are unavailable, and unretiring former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. is fighting lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19 (in a fight rescheduled from July 18 because of Mayweather's rib injury).

Schaefer called me Monday afternoon to announce that Mosley was moving on.

"Our offer to Pacquiao is off the table," Schaefer said. "We're moving on. Shane was like a volcano, and he gave me my marching orders to go get him another fight. Now, I will be talking to some of these other names in the weight class. I'm going to be talking to HBO first and seeing what names they have in mind. But it is apparent that Shane will be returning live on HBO later this year. Eventually he will be the last man standing, and those other guys will have to fight him if they want to be the best."

Schaefer got in one more dig at the other stars -- Pacquiao, Cotto and Mayweather -- before moving on, however.

"He looked sensational [in January] when he knocked out Antonio Margarito," Schaefer said. "He looked so good that it hurt him to get one of these big guys. After the Ricardo Mayorga fight, they were interested because they felt he was an aging star. After the Margarito fight, Shane looked like an emerging star and they didn't want to fight him."

Mosley knocked Mayorga out in the final seconds of the 12th round last fall, but hadn't looked all that sharp before the stunning conclusion. Against Margarito, Mosley looked awesome.

"Shane called me earlier [Monday] and said that's it, he's had it," Shaefer said. "He's not waiting around anymore. He said, 'This guy [Pacquiao] is obviously scared of me. So let's move on.' Sugar Shane Mosley's career has not been built around Pacquiao. He already has a legacy of greatness. But eventually a Mayweather or Cotto or Pacquiao will need him. That day will come."

Schaefer, by the way, is promoting the Mayweather-Marquez fight, so he didn't really give Mayweather much grief for bypassing Mosley in favor of a lightweight.

Still, Mosley's moving on leads to the obvious question: Who will he fight in the fall?

The various names Schaefer mentioned as potential opponents were titlist Andre Berto, whom Mosley was close to making a deal with before the Margarito fight was finalized; Paul Williams, who has been dying for a fight with Mosley about as badly as Mosley was dying for one with Pacquiao; former undisputed champ Zab Judah, who had a fight canceled with Mosley about a year ago after Judah's infamous shower door incident; and former titlist Kermit Cintron, who was also scheduled at one time to face Mosley before a falling out with one of his former promoters killed the fight.

"There are obviously names and opportunities out there," Schaefer said. "Shane made it clear what he wants, and now I have to go get it done. I really fully endorse Shane's decision to fight and not to wait for Pacquiao. He's shown a lot of patience. Some people feel he humiliated himself by offering himself up to Pacquiao. But he really wanted this fight and was willing to make major concessions. For whatever reason, it didn't happen, and life goes on."

I'd like to see Mosley fight of the following 3: Williams, Berto, Clottey.

i don't want to see Mosley vs Judah or Cintron. (Judah doesn't deserve a big money fight he should be fighting on ESPN)

Well I'd think those two are the least likely to happen with Judah still fight mini Fatton in September and Cintron can either fight Martinez (he's themandatory) or I think I've heard Spinks wants to give him a shot at his belt.

Yea I've seen in the ESPN power rankings the last couple months but it's up in the air still I guess. I don't know how willing Dzinziruk is to cometo the States though. WBC ordered the Collazo/Berto rematch...so I guess it's Clottey then
laugh.gif

Pun would pretty much go anywhere man. I don't trust him going to another country to fight though. But then again that's probably what Dzinziruk isthinking as well. Hopefully HBO buys it and Pun's promoter wins the purse.

Back
Top Bottom