09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

vic will never learn. homeboy will talk trash until the day he dies. i am glad he lost, just disappointed it wasn't by another embarrassing ko.

Vic got trashed around.
laugh.gif

Don King
laugh.gif

Vic got humbled.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Now did I tell you about King Kong or did I tell you about King Kong?!? Lol Gorres and Nonito would eat Vic too.

yup.. i remember when this fight was first announced, you were backin Agbeko
pimp.gif

If Nonito beats Rafa Concepcion, I'd like to see a Nonito vs Agbeko. Their styles are almost similar. Nonito stronger left hand, Agbeko stronger righthand.

The Vic i saw earlier was the same Vic i saw up close when he fought here. Wild swinging wallop punches, dirty tactics like elbows, and pushing Agbeko downgetting the 8 count like what he did Gorres... Except here, we threw bottles at Darchinyan, the ref and his cornermen
laugh.gif

The Arce fight was taylor-made for Vic.. ARce got no jab, and just walking into Vic's left and even then, Arce was able to hurt Vic early.
Vic is a bully and beats guys smaller than him. His boxing skills suck, he has no snap in his punches, his left is so telegraphed and Nonito and Gorres havesaid he 'pushes' that left hand. Its heavy when it lands, but won't KO anywone his size... but is able to get by with it against little 112 lbfighters like Glenn Donaire, Gabi, Catubay, Burgos because he has the power advantage the intimidation factor. THough i gotta admit I was shocked on how easyhe defeated Mijares.

But put him against someone his size who's got skills and power and you'll get last night's result.
Now if Agbeko went to the body, i think he could have knocked out Vic in the middle rounds. Vic has a soft gut can't take shots to the body and thats whenhe normally starts to back up. But I guess I can't blame Agbeko because that right hand was on target all night to Vic's face
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

my stream died after Agbeko's interview. Did Vic say anything?

Yea, he was a good sport for the most part. He said he was just looking to land a big punch all night and make mistakes throughout the fight. He then saidAgbeko fought well and was the winner tonight but not a better fighter than him. That he just needs to analyze the fight and make the proper adjustments.

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

my stream died after Agbeko's interview. Did Vic say anything?

Yea, he was a good sport for the most part. He said he was just looking to land a big punch all night and make mistakes throughout the fight. He then said Agbeko fought well and was the winner tonight but not a better fighter than him. That he just needs to analyze the fight and make the proper adjustments.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Well, gotta love Vic for those comments

yea, gotta love those, "well he beat my $$$ today, but he's not a better fighter than me " statements

Felix Sturm won the WBA middleweight title in a close fight
and Tomas Adamek KO'd Billy Gunn to retain his Cruiser title...

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

yea, gotta love those, "well he beat my $$$ today, but he's not a better fighter than me " statements

Felix Sturm won the WBA middleweight title in a close fight
and Tomas Adamek KO'd Billy Gunn to retain his Cruiser title...

Sturm retained right?

Hopefully we get Adamek/Cunningham II in November or December. Where does Vic go from here? Back down?

[h2]Abraham drops middleweight belt[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

In a bit of housekeeping before Monday's announcement of Showtime's super middleweight tournament, middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham, one of the six participants, announced he was relinquishing his middleweight belt.

Abraham, who is already in New York for the announcement, plans to meet Saturday night with IBF president Marian Muhammad at the Tomasz Adamek-Bobby Gunn cruiserweight title fight in Newark, N.J., to personally inform her of his decision.

After then-undisputed champion Jermain Taylor was stripped of the title, Germany's Abraham (30-0, 24 KOs), 29, won the vacant 160-pound belt via fifth-round knockout of Kingsley Ikeke in December 2005. Abraham made 10 defenses, often in spectacular fashion because of his tremendous power.

Abraham made his final defense June 27, dropping countryman Mahir Oral five times en route to a 10th-round knockout. But Abraham has struggled in recent fights to make weight and is headed for the talent-rich 168-pound division. He is one of the centerpieces of the tournament.

Giovanni Lorenzo (27-1, 19 KOs), a native of the Dominican Republic living in New York, likely will meet Abraham's Sauerland Event-promoted stablemate Sebastian Sylvester (31-3, 15, KOs) for the vacant belt.

Abraham exits the middleweight division, leaving two significant fights on the table against countryman and titleholder Felix Sturm and unified and lineal champion Kelly Pavlik. Although there was heavy fan interest, financial, promotional and television issues doomed both fights.

Abraham is looking forward to testing himself in a new weight class.

"It is about time for a new challenge," Abraham said. "It was a lot of fun to fight at middleweight but since neither Felix Sturm nor Kelly Pavlik wanted to get in the ring with me, I had to move on. Now I want to become the best boxer in the super middleweight division, and I really look forward to making even bigger fights in the future."

The 12-fight, round-robin tournament will commence in October and go through the final, which is supposed to take place in mid-2011.

Abraham's first of three guaranteed fights in the tournament is scheduled for Oct. 10 in Germany against Taylor, who moved up to super middleweight in early 2008.

Other participants are super middleweight titleholders Mikkel Kessler and Carl Froch and 2004 U.S. Olympic medalists Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.
And I just read on the bottomline that they're saying Gatti was strangled with a purse handle...

Vic is prolly gonna go back down he couldnt do much the other night so down and rematch with Donaire would make the most sense money wise

Vic wont beat None the other champs in Agbeko's weight class

hes a big mouth, Big Left and entertainment but thats about it

Nah he could beat Montiel. I'd rather see him fight Gorres first before Nonito :shrugs:
yeah hope Gorres gets that re-match. We were chillin last night and he's kinda down in the dumps right now with no fight schedule. He evensaid he's willing to go up and face JuanMa Lopez
ohwell.gif
just because heneeds to get paid. Times are tough for a 3rd world fighter (not named pacquiao) supporting 4 kids with no pay day.

Olympic gold medalist Yuriorkis Gamboa is unable to secure proper visas and permissions in time for Top Rank's 'Latin Fury 10' in Mexico and he is off the July 25 championship card. His bout will be rescheduled, Bob Arum said today.

In the main event Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., 39-0-1, will take on Jason LeHoullier, 21-1-1. Chavez Jr. has been training for weeks in Big Bear, Calif. with trainers from the Velocity Sports Performance in Los Angeles.

Gamboa, 15-0, of Miami is the WBA interim world featherweight champion. He was scheduled to fight Whyber Garcia, 22-6, of Panama for the WBA Interim Featherweight Championship.

There will be four bouts on the Latin Fury 10 Pay Per View telecast.

The death of Arturo Gatti on Saturday hit the boxing community very, very hard. He was a special fighter who provided fight fans (and writers) with more thrills than anyone in recent years. Fight after fight, he left it all in the ring.

He may be gone, but we will always have our memories and videos. ESPN Classic ran a marathon of classic Gatti bouts on Sunday night. Now, HBO, which was Gatti's home for all of his important fights, will honor the beloved fighter, who fought on the network 21 times and was one of its cornerstones from 1995 until his retirement in 2007.

When I traded e-mails with HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg on Saturday afternoon after we had heard about Gatti's untimely death at age 37, I mentioned that I hoped the network would pay tribute to him. Greenburg wrote back and said it certainly would, and he didn't waste any time.

HBO announced Monday that it will commemorate Gatti's career with replays of all three fights in his epic trilogy with Micky Ward on Friday and Saturday. The first and third fights both won fight of the year honors and the second fight was also pretty darn good.

The three fights -- Gatti won the second and third -- will air on the HBO2 service at 9 p.m. ET/PT Friday and at 10:15 a.m. ET/PT Saturday on the main HBO service. The three fights will air consecutively on both days. The trilogy will also be available on HBO On Demand from July 20 to Aug. 16.

Ward won the first thrilling slugfest by decision on May 18, 2002. That fight featured the now-legendary ninth round. Gatti took decisions in the Nov. 23, 2002, rematch and June 7, 2003, finale, which also marked Ward's retirement fight.

Get your DVRs and DVD recorders ready, and maybe even a few tissues.

Cherish the memories

Nah he could beat Montiel. I'd rather see him fight Gorres first before Nonito :shrugs:
yeah hope Gorres gets that re-match. We were chillin last night and he's kinda down in the dumps right now with no fight schedule. He even said he's willing to go up and face JuanMa Lopez
ohwell.gif
just because he needs to get paid. Times are tough for a 3rd world fighter (not named pacquiao) supporting 4 kids with no pay day.

Damn that's sad to hear. He's a solid fighter and would get a decent pay day from a fight with Vic. I hope it turns around for the better for him.

And reading Rafael's blog article on Gatti today had me a little misty I can't lie.

f4e16440d001e043ea0e956a4b8c74d3ddbdca90.pjpg
HBO Sports will commemorate the career of former two-time world champion Arturo Gatti, with a special presentation of his classic trilogy when ARTURO GATTI VS. MICKY WARD I, II & III is seen FRIDAY, JULY 17 (9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO2 and Saturday, July 18 (10:15 a.m. ET/PT) on HBO. The three fights will air consecutively on both days and will be available on demand as well

Any way someone can record these and get them on DVD?

HEADS UP!
Another round of
Bryan Kinney vs Floyd Mayweather tonite on ESPN Sportscenter

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Mayweather is Clownin on the preview

Back
Top Bottom