09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

laugh.gif

smh.gif
@ the coverage this fight is gonna get tho. Both PBF and JMM just gonna end up talking bout Manny instead of the fight.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Mike you get your OG named banned or summtin?
Possibly from that Ben Baller thread
laugh.gif
?

yup came like 2 days later, your boy thought he was safe then one morning the message was up
roll.gif

got a 1 month timeout

[h3]Fearless vs. Raging Bull[/h3]

TWO-DIVISION world champion Gerry "Fearless" Peñalosa wants the best fights out there before he retires and has set his sights on one of the biggest draws in the lower weight divisions-WBC, IBF and WBA super flyweight king Vic "The Raging Bull" Darchinyan.

Peñalosa only has a few more fights left before he retires and he wants to face Darchinyan in Top Rank's boxing extravaganza tentatively scheduled on Aug. 29 at the Araneta Coliseum.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

"Negotiations are still ongoing with Darchinyan," Rex "Wakee" Salud told Sun.Star in an interview yesterday.

The 36-year-old Peñalosa originally wanted former world champions Eric Morel, Jorge Arce and Daniel Ponce De Leon.

However Morel and Arce are already out of the picture.

De Leon, a former Peñalosa nemesis, is still a possible opponent for the veteran two-division world titleholder.

However, he is more inclined to accept a clash with Darchinyan.

"We have a problem with De Leon because Golden Boy will be asking for money. There is still a chance of Gerry fighting De Leon but our focus is Darchinyan," Salud said.

Salud believes that Peñalosa will be in for a difficult fight against Darchinyan because of the 33-year-old Armenian's awkward boxing technique.

"It will be a hard fight for Gerry because of his unorthodox style but Gerry can take his punches," he said.

Peñalosa endured 10 rounds of pounding from World Boxing Organization champion Juan Manuel Lopez, who is a hard puncher like Darchinyan, in his last fight last last April 25 in Puerto Rico.

After dominating the super flyweight category and defeating the division's top fighters-Dimitri Kirilov, Christian Mijares and Arce-Darchinyan's winning streak ended after he joined the bantamweight division.

He lost to IBF titlist Joseph Agbeko via unanimous decision last Sunday.

Headlining the Aug. 29 boxing event is IBF light flyweight champion Brian Viloria, who will be having his first title defense.

smokin.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Mike you get your OG named banned or summtin?
Possibly from that Ben Baller thread
laugh.gif
?

yup came like 2 days later, your boy thought he was safe then one morning the message was up
roll.gif

got a 1 month timeout

laugh.gif
that's gotta suck.

Vic/Gerry? Should be a good fight. Vic gonna be good to go for August 29th though? Seems really close.

Yeah, Aug. 29 is way too close for Vic. Those nasty cuts won't be healed yet plus he took a beating for 12 rounds. He still needs to recover from that..lol. I want Gerry to beat a healthy conditioned Vic! But looks like Top Rank has already booked an event at Araneta for that date, so most likely Gerry willfight an unknown Mexican or Thai fighter.

Paul Williams always believed he had the potential to be a pound-for-pound player.

The former welterweight title holder just had a heck of a time proving it because it's been so difficult to get the sport's elite fighters in the ringwith him.

One can almost forgive the top welterweights for avoiding Williams. The Aiken, South Carolina native possesses rather intimidating physical attributes(he's at least 6-foot-2 with a heavyweight's wingspan) which are made even more frightening by his southpaw stance and windmill-like style thatcombines volume-punching with a potent mix of boxing and pressure fighting.

Williams proved his considerable potential by out-boxing and out-working feared welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito in 2007, but then he gave the top147-pound fighters a reason to dismiss him when he dropped a unanimous decision to crafty veteran Carlos Quintana last February.

However, Williams (37-1, 27 knockouts) avenged the only loss of his pro career by blasting Quintana out in the first round of their rematch. The swarming thinman then invaded the junior middleweight and middleweight divisions in search of world-class fighters who were willing to face him.

The results of his quest for competition -- an eighth-round stoppage of 154-pound titleholder Verno Phillips and a lopsided decision over formerpound-for-pound rated Winky Wright -- earned Williams a No. 1 RING-rating at junior middleweight and a No. 3 RING-rating at middleweight.

It also placed him on the cusp of elite status.

Many boxing writers and online publications already considered Williams to be among the best boxers in the world, but with Vic Darchinyan losing his bid for abantamweight title on Saturday the two-division contender finally broke into THE RING's Pound-for-Pound Ratings.

Darchinyan, who was rated No. 8 last week, exited the top 10 after dropping a unanimous decision to Joseph Agbeko.

Welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto (No. 9 last week) and junior featherweight beltholder Celestino Caballero (No. 10 last week) moved up one slot each,allowing for Williams to debut at No. 10.

If Williams gets the fights he wants, fans can expect the 27-year-old southpaw to quickly advance in THE RING's Pound-for-Pound Ratings.

Williams is tentatively scheduled to face WBO 154-pound titleholder Sergei Dzindziruk, THE RING's No. 7-rated junior middleweight, on an HBO-televised cardon October 3.

His chances of a fight with Kelly Pavlik may have improved with 160-pound titleholder Arthur Abraham and 168-pound beltholder Carl Froch, two fighters who hadbeen mentioned as potential opponents for the middleweight champ, taking part in Showtime's ambitious super middleweight tournament.

Whether or not Pavlik accepts his challenge, Williams will eventually lure quality opponents into the ring because of his willingness to fight the bestfighters from 147 to 168 pounds.

That's what being a pound-for-pound player is all about.

RING RATINGS UPDATE

It was a busy weekend, both in and out of the ring, with repercussions in four weight classes.

MIDDLEWEIGHTS:

Arthur Abraham (No. 1 last week) has relinquished his IBF belt and left the 160-pound division in order to compete in Showtime's super middleweighttournament. THE RING will rank Abraham in his new weight class if and when he scores a significant win at 168 pounds.

Abraham's exit allows everybody rated below him last week to move up one spot each, which makes Felix Sturm THE RING's new No. 1 middleweightcontender. Filling the void at No. 10 is undefeated Sebastian Zbik.

FEATHERWEIGHTS:

Titleholder Cristobal Cruz (No. 9 last week) jumps to No. 3 thanks to his 12-round decision victory over Jorge Solis (No. 3 last week), who falls to No. 5. Therealignment also bumps down Hiroyuki Enoki (No. 5 last week), Mario Santiago (No. 6 last week), Martin Honorio (No. 7 last week), and Takahiro Aoh (No. 8 lastweek) one place each.

BANTAMWEIGHTS:

Joseph Agbeko's upset win over Vic Darchinyan elevates Agbeko from No. 6 to No. 4. Agbeko's promotion pushes down Yonnhy Perez from No. 4 to No. 5, andSilence Mabuza from No. 5 to No. 6.

JUNIOR BANTAMWEIGHT:

Darchinyan, a unified titleholder at junior feather, remains THE RING's top-rated 115-pound contender.

"Even though Vic Darchinyan was defeated by Joseph Agbeko at 118 pounds, Darchinyan still holds the WBA, WBC, and IBF 115-pound titles," RING EditorNigel Collins said. "Moreover, Darchinyan has yet to make an announcement regarding whether or not he will drop back down to defend his juniorbantamweight belts or stay at bantam. Therefore, THE RING has retained him as No. 1 at junior bantamweight for the time being.

roll.gif
@ PBF. Son better not let down. Is it just me or is Money looking madold now?

I was going to post that article from ringtv.com Bout time Pun get in that top 10....but they still underrate him @ 10.
indifferent.gif

I don't know if anyone posted it but HBO is replaying the Gatti - Ward triology tomorrow and Saturday

I've been driving myself crazy trying to find my dvd copy of the fights these past days

I have them recorded on this thing called VHS.

Too bad I don't own a VCR anymore.

If anyone does record it on DVD I'd buy a copy.

HBO Sports will commemorate the career of former two-time world champion Arturo Gatti, with a special presentation of his classic trilogy when ARTURO GATTI VS. MICKY WARD I, II & III is seen FRIDAY, JULY 17 (9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO2 and Saturday, July 18 (10:15 a.m. ET/PT) on HBO. The three fights will air consecutively on both days and will be available on demand as well. Click here for schedule

BoxingScene.com was informed that undefeated Chris John will defend his WBA featherweight title in a rematch with Rocky Juarez on the September 19 undercard to Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The fight will be part of the televised undercard on HBO pay-per-view.

They fought to a controversial draw back in February. The fight was scheduled to take place last month in California. John became ill a few days before the fight and withdrew.

I wonder who else they're gonna put on the PBF/JMM undercard.

John/Juarez II is a good look. They were supposed to have Winky fight as well. Prolly Abner Mares. Guess they still have Zab/Hatton too
sick.gif

Still, its better than what they originally had for this Saturday.

Originally Posted by Proshares

This Saturday is when Khan gets killed correct? Or is that the 25th?
laugh.gif
its this Sat.

How Dame Dash say it when he got jumped in London.."I dressed a few of em' up" or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom