09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Klitschko is close to a deal to meet Chris Arreola in an HBO fight on Sept. 26 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles
pimp.gif

Can't Wait!!!

HBO is been strict on what fights they pick this year

im there in staples center for that fight if it goes down cheering for that fat bum to get KNOCK THE @%$! OUT

I think it's because of the big fights that they paid for from Jan to May that their budget is a little towards the end of the year. I have no idea whythey wouldn't pay for Adamek/Cunningham 2.

It's going to be funny to see both Rob and Mike's reaction at the end of that fight
laugh.gif

why the +#$ would you be cheering for that Euro (no racism).....thats what I don't get.

*edit*
It's going to be funny to see both Rob and Mike's reaction at the end of that fight
laugh.gif

If Chris gets KO'd....ima find Mike in Staples and TRY to beat his *## !

laugh.gif
jk

BoxingScene.com was informed that a heavyweight bout [if a deal is reached] between WBC champion Vitali Klitschko and unbeaten Chris Arreola would happen on September 26 on HBO. I've been told the 9/26 date has nothing to do with the ongoing talks to finalize a deal for a middleweight bout between WBC/WBO champion Kelly Pavlik and Paul Williams. The two sides, for Klitschko and Arreola, are currently in talks to make the fight happen.

Pavlik-Williams would fall on October 3, a date previously reserved by HBO for a Williams/Arreola doubleheader. If the two sides for Pavlik-Williams are unable to reach an agreement, Williams will probably return on that date, on HBO, against WBO 154-pound champion Sergei Dzinziruk [or an alternative]. Dzinziruk is now being co-promoted by Golden Boy Promotions. Prior to the negotiations with Williams, Pavlik was already on schedule to return on October 3 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. If the Williams fight is a no-go, and an alternative network date is not secured, Pavlik's next fight would be showcased on a Top Rank pay-per-view card

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

why the +#$ would you be cheering for that Euro (no racism).....thats what I don't get.

*edit*
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
jk

I'm not Mike, but i won't be rooting for Arreola either. I'm from Oakland and will be rooting against Andre Ward in a fight or two inthe super middle tourney. Sometimes it doesn't matter where the fighter is from, if i don't like his style or the guy himself i'll root againsthim, even if the dude grew up on my block.

[h1]V. Klitschko, Arreola reach deal[/h1]Posted Jul. 29, 2009 at 07:28pm
[h2]By Michael Rosenthal[/h2]

Vitali Klitschko and Chris Arreola have reached an agreement to fight on Sept. 26 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, according to a reliable source.

Arreola turned down an offer to fight THE RING's No. 1-rated heavyweight and the WBC titleholder on Sept. 12 because he felt he wouldn't have enough time to prepare but accepted a second offer to fight two weeks later.

Klitschko thought he had a deal in place to defend his belt against David Haye on Sept. 12 in Germany but Haye decided to fight Nikolai Valuev instead, which opened the door for the undefeated Arreola (27-0, 24 knockouts).

Klitschko (37-2, 36 KOs) has fought twice at Staples Center, losing to Lennox Lewis because of a cut but proving his toughness in 2003 and stopping Corrie Sanders the following year. The Ukrainian is 2-0 in his comeback after a four-year hiatus.

The will be Arreola's first opportunity to fight for a major title.

The brawler from Riverside, Calif., rated No. 6 by THE RING, has never fought at nearby Staples Center. He is coming off a fourth-round knockout of Jameel McCline in April.

stevemaxboxingPac-Cotto media tour starts Sept 10. Will include public events at Yankee Stadium in NY and AT@T Park in San Fran. TLincecum is involved

stevemaxboxingTold Latin Fury is set for Oct 10th, the Theater at MSG. Main Event, JuanMa Lopez vs Rogers Mtagwa, also YGamboa and Solis-KJohnson

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

*edit*
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
jk
I'm not Mike, but i won't be rooting for Arreola either. I'm from Oakland and will be rooting against Andre Ward in a fight or two in the super middle tourney. Sometimes it doesn't matter where the fighter is from, if i don't like his style or the guy himself i'll root against him, even if the dude grew up on my block.

I'm like that with some pinoys fighters. I root against Brian Viloria and Glenn Donaire (nonito's bro). His fight against Vic wasprobably the only time i rooted for Darchinyan
laugh.gif

Maybe I'm just a dumb #!# homer.
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
But I truly believe Chris will win this fight, whether by Gift Decision orKO.....i just have this feeling.

I know Pavlik/Williams is a bigger "name" event, but I am more intrigued with a Williams/Dzinziruk matchup.

I'm from Oakland and will be rooting against Andre Ward

My dude.....
smh.gif
tired.gif

I hope Chris can beat klitshcko but I'm not going to get my hopes up on that one. Hopefully he can get away from the jab and make this an intresting fight.

I don't think Chris is gonna win but he stands a chance simply because he's Mexican and can crack.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

I wish Chris had taken another fight before Klitschko now that he has a new S&C coach

ohwell.gif

Yea but there's been whispers that he's in even worse shape now between fights than he has ever been. Guess we have to wait until fight night tosee for sure...

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

I wish Chris had taken another fight before Klitschko now that he has a new S&C coach

ohwell.gif

Yea but there's been whispers that he's in even worse shape now between fights than he has ever been. Guess we have to wait until fight night to see for sure...

in worse shape????

laugh.gif

He's gonna get worn out

Just got a text from ESPN that Gatti's death was ruled a suicide and his wife was released from police custody. Soon as I get near a computer I'll posta link if I find one.

Just got a text from ESPN that Gatti's death was ruled a suicide and his wife was released from police custody. Soon as I get near a computer I'll posta link if I find one.

Updated: July 30, 2009, 1:29 PM ET

[h2]Gatti's death ruled suicide[/h2]

Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

RIO DE JANEIRO -- A Brazilian police investigation has determined that the death of boxer Arturo Gatti was a suicide and a court has ordered the release of his wife, who was once suspected of killing him.

Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press on Thursday that police concluded Gatti killed himself on July 11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.

A day after Gatti was found dead, police said they thought his 23-year-old Brazilian wife, Amanda Rodrigues, had strangled him with her purse strap while he slept.

But police began to back off after a coroner's report said that Gatti may have killed himself.

State court judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima in the city of Recife ordered that Rodrigues be immediately released. Her lawyer, Celio Avelino, said Rodrigues would walk out of jail Thursday afternoon.

Gatti was found dead in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas in Brazil's northeast.

The pair, who had a tumultuous marriage, had arrived there a few days before Gatti's death for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their 10-month-old son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues' family in Brazil.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4366517

^ Thanks for posting.

In some lighter news...
Pavlik-Williams talks reach critical stage

Thursday, July 30, 2009 | Print Entry

The handlers of middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik and Paul Williams, who holds an interim junior middleweight belt but can campaign at welterweight, junior middleweight or middleweight, are trying to hammer out a deal for them to meet in the fall.

So, naturally, they're hammering each other in the grueling negotiating process, which is limping along because of serious differences.

HBO, which is trying to referee the talks, is holding Oct. 3 for the fight, which would be one of the most significant of the year, not to mention a probable crowd pleaser between two of America's best fighters.

It would take place in Atlantic City, N.J., where Pavlik is a proven attraction. Thousands of his loyal followers from Youngstown, Ohio, filled Boardwalk Hall for his three fights there, including his dramatic championship victory against Jermain Taylor in 2007, a blowout defense against unknown Gary Lockett 13 months ago and a nontitle loss to Bernard Hopkins in October.

However, there are vast differences in what each side wants for a fight that already blew up once when they tried to make it last year, mainly because of the acrimonious relationship between Top Rank boss Bob Arum and Williams adviser Al Haymon.

With neither fighter having a more significant opponent available for the fall, they've turned to each other again in an attempt to get it done. I've talked to various folks involved in the fight and am told that HBO is offering a $3.75 million license fee for the bout.

In addition, Arum is not directly involved in the discussions, nor is Haymon. Instead, Top Rank president Todd duBoef is handling the talks with Williams promoter Dan Goossen. Arum told me he was happy to be out of this one and just to get updates from duBoef.

My sources tell me that Top Rank offered the Williams side a package of $1.55 million but Goossen asked for $2.5 million plus 50 percent of the gate. Top Rank countered by raising the offer to $1.75 million plus a lesser piece of the gate.

Back and forth they go.

DuBoef didn't want to go into detail but acknowledged that they are having difficulties coming to terms.

Goossen said he is hopeful the fight will be made.

"It's a good fight for boxing, for the fighters, for HBO and for the fans," he said. "I know everyone will have their opinions on who should get what. This is about doing a fair deal for all sides. If we can reach that kind if accord, it's a fight that will attract a lot of attention. We're sitting here always looking for the biggest fight and something Paul and everyone would like to have. But you're always looking for something that is fair in our eyes, not necessarily what is fair to a reporter or fan.

"This is a tough business and you want equitable deals. We know Pavlik brings a lot to the table, but Paul does also, so it's a matter of hashing out the deal. I believe we are on the right track because both fighters want the fight, which always helps out. Between Top Rank and myself, we are having constructive conversations, which usually leads to getting something done."

Of course, it is good that both sides say they want the fight. However, it seems to me that the onus is on Williams and his team.

They are the ones who constantly cry out that Williams is the most feared man in boxing and that no big names are willing to fight him. Now you have Pavlik, the champion and the proven draw, not only willing to fight him but offering him, by far, the most money he's ever been offered for a fight in his life. It's quite a reasonable offer.

On top of that, duBoef did tell me that Top Rank is not seeking any options on Williams' future fights, only a standard rematch clause, which is the normal course of business in non-mandatory situations.

Haymon certainly should understand about options and rematch clauses. He extracted financial participation in two future Pavlik fights after he knocked out Taylor and even got a rematch clause despite the fact that Pavlik was the mandatory. Because Pavlik was the mandatory challenger for Taylor, Top Rank and Pavlik were under no obligation to give the options or the rematch clause. But they wanted the fight badly and wanted it as quickly as possible, so they gave in.

In boxing, sometimes when the other guy has something you want, you have to suck it up and take a deal you don't love.

If Williams really wants the fight, if he really wants to be middleweight champion and really believes he can win the fight, it's a no-brainer for his team to get the deal done.

Williams is certainly the biggest fight out there right now for Pavlik, but there are other opponents waiting in the wings. Fighters such as Winky Wright (who lost to Williams earlier this year) and Sergio Martinez are at the top of the list and, from what I am told, willing to take the fight for a lot less than what Williams is being offered.

I admire Goossen, Haymon and Williams for trying to get the best deal possible. There's nothing wrong with hard negotiating. I just hope they don't overplay their hand.

Back
Top Bottom