09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

never beem a mosley fan but will be pulling for him 2morrow VS that fraud %#% bum. i hope he knocks his %#% out im talk so much !!*@ if he does

capt.81cb011518cf47a3a333a3ba9c1b95e8.margarito_mosley_boxing_cars201.jpg

WEIGHTS FROM LA: Antonio Margarito 145.8, Shane Mosley 147.2

PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 24 Jan 2009

marg-mosley.weighin.01.300w.jpg

WBA World Welterweight Champion Antonio Margarito (left) and Four-Time World Champion Sugar Shane Mosley (right) pose on January 23, 2009 in Los Angeles,California at the weigh-in for their January 24, 2009 world title fight at Staples Center in Los Angeles which will be televised live on HBO's WorldChampionship Boxing.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
marg-mosley.weighin.02.300w.jpg

WBA World Welterweight Champion Antonio Margarito poses on January 23, 2009 in Los Angeles, California at the weigh-in for his January 24, 2009 title defenseagainst Four-Time World Champion Sugar Shane Mosley at Staples Center in Los Angeles which will be televised live on HBO's World Championship Boxing.

marg-mosley.weighin.03.300w.jpg

Four-Time World Champion Sugar Shane Mosley at the Staples Center on January 23, 2009 in Los Angeles, California at the weigh-in for his January 24, 2009 titledefense against WBA World Welterweight Champion Antonio Margarito at Staples Center in Los Angeles which will be televised live on HBO's World ChampionshipBoxing.

Antonio Margarito would likely have been a handful for any welterweight in history. He might not have beaten all of them, but they would surely have knownthey had been in a fight.

As Saturday's big fight with Shane Mosley draws closer, here's a look at how the Tijuana Tornado might have fared against 10 former 147-poundchampions. (Names were selected not on a basis of all-time greatness, but because each of the matches would have had its own special intrigue.)
[h3]10. BARNEY ROSS[/h3]
box_ross_200.jpg

AP PhotoBarney Ross's slick boxing skills would have befuddled Antonio Margarito's attack.

A lightweight and two-time welterweight champion in the 1930s, Ross fought his share of tough customers, including two wins over "Fargo Express"Billy Petrolle and three over Ceferino Garcia, the bolo-punching Filipino who might have given Margarito all he could handle. He went 2-1 in a three-fightseries with vicious left-$$$#+@ Jimmy McLarnin, and, even as a faded fighter, he endured for 15 rounds against the fabulous fighting machine HenryArmstrong.

Margarito would have had the physical advantages over Ross, who was a small welterweight. Ross, though, could box very well: "a smart fellow and asmart fighter," as John Kieran of The New York Times described him. When he defeated Garcia in their title fight at the Polo Grounds in 1937 he had tosurvive a battering in the last two rounds in "as masterful an exhibition of boxing, as admirable a display of fighting courage and as determined a standas a champion has flashed in recent years," as The New York Times described the valiant victory.

With today's 12-round distance, Ross could have outscored Margarito in the early rounds and survived a late onslaught.

Pick: Ross by decision.
[h3]9. CARMEN BASILIO[/h3]
http://sports.espn.go.com...3852069&story=3851437','Popup','width=640,height=550,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3851437#">[+] Enlarge
box_g_basilio_300.jpg

Frank Scherschel/Time Life Pictures/Getty ImagesCarmen Basilio's hard head would have enabled him to walk through Antonio Margarito's devastating fists.

Talk about an irresistible force meeting an immovable object. Margarito and Basilio would have come together like two trucks in an alley with room for onlyone to pass. One man would have had to give ground at some point. We think it would have been Margarito. As rugged as Margarito is, he would have met his matchin Basilio, who twice stopped sturdy left-$$$#+@ Tony DeMarco in the 12th round of an all-time epic war, and defeated the incomparable Sugar Ray Robinson atmiddleweight. In his rematch with Robinson, Basilio fought the last 10 rounds with his left eye pounded, yet still made it a highly competitive fight after"one of the gamest defenses ever seen in any ring," in the words of news-agency reporter Jack Cuddy. The craggy-featured ex-onion farmer fromCanastota, N.Y., would have outfought and outlasted Margarito in a grueling war of attrition.

Pick: Basilio TKO11.
[h3]8. EMILE GRIFFITH[/h3]
A superb boxer-puncher, Griffith was a great champion as a welterweight and middleweight and a veteran of many 15-rounders. Margarito might have been thestronger man but not by much, and Griffith would have been faster and more skilled. Griffith would have had rocky moments, but he was a fighter who knew how towin long, difficult fights, although it is a tragic irony that his greatest display of boxing and punching came in the fight that ended in Benny Paret'sdeath.

Pick: Griffith by decision.
[h3]7. JOSE NAPOLES[/h3]
http://sports.espn.go.com...3852092&story=3851437','Popup','width=640,height=550,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3851437#">[+] Enlarge
box_ap_jnapoles1_300.jpg

AP PhotoAn early points lead would be all Jose Napoles, right, needed to cruise past Antonio Margarito.

Margarito would have been bigger, rougher and tougher, but Napoles was a masterful boxer who hit precisely and powerfully. Napoles prevailed in a long,tough fight against Ernie "Indian Red" Lopez, winning by 15th-round knockout (the rematch was easier), and the game, slugging Lopez was a similartype of fighter as Margarito, though not nearly as physically imposing.

There seems little doubt that Napoles would have dominated the early rounds against Margarito and inflicted damage. The later rounds would have seenMargarito coming on and making up leeway, but likely not enough to overtake Napoles' early lead on points. Napoles would have been very glad to hear thefinal bell, but he would likely have put enough rounds in the bank to get the verdict.

Pick: Napoles by decision
[h3]6. PIPINO CUEVAS[/h3]
This Mexican civil war would have been what the boxing fraternity calls a "fun fight," although it probably wouldn't have been much fun forCuevas. While a big hitter with the left hook, Cuevas wasn't the most durable of fighters and tended to leave himself open when launching his blows.Margarito might have had to pick himself up off the floor, but he would have ground down the smaller Cuevas, breaking his spirit and draining his resistance.By about the eighth round, the war of attrition would have tilted irrevocably in Margarito's favor.

Pick: Margarito TKO8.
[h3]5. WILFRED BENITEZ[/h3]
box_a_hearns_benitez_300.jpg

AP PhotoAn expert at making opponents miss, Wilfred Benitez, right, would have racked enough points to earn the nod against the Tijuana Tornado.

There is no doubt that Benitez was a beautiful boxer. He could make good fighters look ordinary. Benitez never faced anyone quite like Margarito, though.Margarito might have floundered at times, missing and even being made to look a bit foolish, but gradually his earnest aggression and physical strength wouldhave started to catch up with Benitez, who would not have been able to keep him at bay for the whole fight. Benitez was masterful at fighting with his back tothe ropes, slipping and dodging punches and countering in a way that seemed effortless, but going to the ropes would have led to his downfall againstMargarito, who would have been throwing such a high volume of hooks and uppercuts that some surely would have connected.

Pick: Margarito KO10.
[h3]4. THOMAS HEARNS[/h3]
Margarito would have had problems against Hearns: He would have been meeting someone as tall as himself but much more skilled. Hearns would have been ableto hit Margarito all too easily with a wicked left hook as well as the missile-like right hand. If Kermit Cintron could bounce shots off Margarito's chinin the rematch, it doesn't take much imagination to picture Hearns doing the same, but with more devastating effect. Margarito would have had to walkthrough some bombs in a bid to wear down Hearns. He would have been hit too hard, too often, getting stopped before he could gather the momentum necessary forhim to be able to overpower the Motor City marksman.

Pick: Hearns TKO7.
[h3]3. SUGAR RAY LEONARD[/h3]
Leonard's speed, skill and combinations have been much praised, but it is easy to overlook the fact that, at his best, he was also a resilient,determined warrior who could rally from adversity to pull out a victory, as was famously demonstrated in his classic 14th-round win over Hearns. Leonard'sspeed and movement would have had Margarito struggling to find him in the early rounds, and Sugar Ray would have been rattling off combinations and piling uppoints. Margarito might have had his moments, perhaps getting in body punches and driving Leonard to the ropes once in a while, but overall he would likelyhave found himself perplexed and being picked apart.

Pick: Leonard by decision.
[h3]2. FELIX TRINIDAD[/h3]
This would almost certainly have ended in someone being stopped. Trinidad would have had the edge in hand speed and probably in firing power, too, withMargarito possessing a clear advantage when it came to absorbing punishment.

box_g_trinidad_thiam1_300.jpg

Robert Sullivan/AFP/Getty ImagesFelix Trinidad, right, might've possessed blistering combinations, but his suspect chin would have let him down against Antonio Margarito.

Margarito's iron chin would have been severely tested, but his left hooks and uppercuts would have been a threat to Trinidad, who was dropped by lefthands in his fights with Yory Boy Campas and Kevin Lueshing. Margarito would probably have been the underdog, and it would have looked this way as the morepolished Trinidad unloaded blistering barrages. One big left hook or uppercut from Margarito could have turned things around in an instant, however. Withvictory in sight, Trinidad might well have been caught by a powerful left-hand blast that, in his eagerness to close the show, he wouldn't have seencoming.

Pick: Margarito KO6
[h3]1. OSCAR DE LA HOYA (AT HIS PEAK)[/h3]
http://sports.espn.go.com...3744137&story=3851437','Popup','width=640,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3851437#">[+] Enlarge
box_g_delahoya4_300.jpg

Jed Jacobsohn/Getty ImagesNo where to run: Antonio Margarito's relentless attack would have eventually worn down Oscar De La Hoya.

De La Hoya would have had the advantages in speed and talent, but Margarito might have been a nightmare for him even on the Golden Boy's best night. DeLa Hoya's late-rounds fade against Trinidad has been well-documented, and he barely beat Ike Quartey. He might have been able to outbox and outsmartMargarito to win a string of early rounds, but Margarito's incessant forward march, digging to the body at every opportunity, might have taken a toll on DeLa Hoya as the fight went deeper.

This could have been one of those fights in which the superior boxer is outlasted by the one with the greater endurance and will to win. A batteredMargarito, behind on points, could have overwhelmed a tiring De La Hoya in the home straight to score a dramatic and shocking upset.

Pick: Margarito KO12.

smh.gif

tired.gif

eek.gif
aint nooo way Tonio woulda beat Tito in his prime

Tito woulda put his $!+ to sleep. (Yes bias)
laugh.gif
but serious

Hearns kos Tonio in 2. Light.

Margarito would not have stood a chance against a prime Tito Trinidad, dont care what anyone says.

Edit:

laugh.gif

Apparently Gunna and I share the same sentiments.

laugh.gif
I hate when they do those kinds of lists...like USC vs. every other team in history they did a couple years back.

Mike is going to be eating his words tomorrow night.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

eek.gif
aint nooo way Tonio woulda beat Tito in his prime

Tito woulda put his $!+ to sleep. (Yes bias)
laugh.gif
but serious

Hearns kos Tonio in 2. Light.
Exactly what i was thinking when i saw them having Tonio beat Trinidad. Felix would have snapped Tonio's neck with them left hooks.

And I agree with Tommy getting him outta there early. I don't give a !*#% what type of chin you supposedly had, at 147 you were not gonna walk through TheHitman's bombs, period. If Tommy could put Duran to sleep with one shot, he could put Margarito in a coma with one if he felt like it.

Edit: Looking at that list closer, they did Wilfred Benitez DIRTY. Margarito by KO in 10? !$@? Benitez would have schooled Margarito something serious. Benitez 118-110 on all 3 scorecards over Margarito. Jesus, one really good win against a puncher with chin issues and the past and all of a sudden Margarito isa god? What the hell did i miss?

roll.gif
roll.gif
@ the thought of Margarito beating a prime Tito. That's just crazy...

Prime Tito gives Margarito a beating, word to William Joppy.

He might crack out a decision over Oscar, though. Oscar would've outboxed Tonio' EASY, but so did Cotto...we saw how that worked out.

If Tommy could put Duran to sleep with one shot

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

Hearns the true Hit Man

laugh.gif
Dako, that irks me to no end. the fact someone had the nerve to call Ricky Hatton the Hitman and it stuck.
smh.gif
there's only one !+*%## Hitman.
thats why I call ricky the "get hit man"
laugh.gif

Seriously, they are overrating Margarito. I mean it takes one win over a Miguel Cotto and you're being considered one of the best welterweights? Please,Paul Williams would school Margarito AGAIN

Now I dont know about that list now most of those fights id pay to see . I got a problem with the rankings on there also how in the world do they put Dela Hoyaat 1 ? Tito -Tonio would have been great yall remeber when Tito was young he got dropped alot but always got up and stopped the guy .I think thats what happensin that fight and its over in about 8 . Not Tommy Hearns would probably have a field day long right hands I think its over in 6 Too many rights hands to eat .I guess who ever made that list decided to leave off the greatest fighter to ever live because we all know who wins that one going away . Im on the fence aboutBenitez when he was on you couldn't touch him he would make you look like a fool punching air but his problem was he never trained . I dont think they arerating him as an all time great welter just seeing how he matches up , he has a throw back style that would make great action fights . Writers tend to do thatwith current champions .

Mangos! Mosley is getting knocked out! Margarito has more at stake and will prove he belongs in there with the best! I want to see Margarito fight Julio CaserChavez JR.. Weight might be an issue with this fight but I would like to see Chavez Jr. fight some better fighters instead of just running up his win recordwith taxi drivers from TJ:rofl:

Originally Posted by Diego1984

Mangos! Mosley is getting knocked out! Margarito has more at stake and will prove he belongs in there with the best! I want to see Margarito fight Julio Caser Chavez JR.. Weight might be an issue with this fight but I would like to see Chavez Jr. fight some better fighters instead of just running up his win record with taxi drivers from TJ:rofl:

I want to see de la hoya vs. Chavez Jr.

Can't wait to see this one....If shane can stay away and box then he may be able to outlast margarito....but if he runs out of gas then the same thing thathappened to cotto will happen to him....we shall see

There is a rumor of De la hoya and Chavez Jr. fight. By the way anyone have a stream.

Jccjr vs Tonio? Why? And what has he done to deserve a huge fight vs world champ?

And I think its a bad idea to giver tonio space n run from him. Go at his %+# like Punisher, Like clottey.

Back
Top Bottom