09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

god damn it! i forgot about that fight. i guess thats how important it was! hahaha. i do stand corrected. no but seriously, that fight with paulie didnt do anykind of big numbers for PPV here in the US or in the UK. i think it did something like 200,000 PPV buys here in the US. pacman gets about that much as wellfighting bums.

the last 3 fights for pacman:

pac vs. marquez - ~400,000 PPV buys
pac vs. diaz - ~200,000 PPV buys
pac vs. DLH - ~ 1,000,000 PPV buys

the last 3 fights for Hatton:

hatton vs. PBF - ~850,000 PPV buys
hatton vs. lazacno - televised on VERSUS! HBO and SHOWTIME both passed on showing the card!
hatton vs. malignaggi - ~200,000 PPV buys.

Thats in the US, you're forgetting the England PPV buys and the massive gate at each show because of all the fans Hatton brought over. Hatton bring a tonof money to the table, it just doesn't show up in the traditional PPV buy #'s.

understood. but im willing to say that now that pacman is a legitimate household name, he will too bring in a huge crowd. prior to the DLH and diaz fight, thenno. but now that he is reigning supreme...he should be paid like that.

Shane has said that he plans to make his fight with Margarito a real fight and that he will not be running and will trade with Margarito as Shane thinks he hasmore power/speed than Margarito.

I think Shane should avoid Margarito all night by moving around with his footwork and staying away from Margarito's uppercut. Cotto ducked Margarito'spunches well in the early rounds and was the counter puncher in the fight but late he couldn't handle the pressure that Margarito laid on him.

Nazim Richardson is the new trainer for Mosley and i hope Mosley doesn't stand in front of Margarito but then it would seem like he will be running allnight and the judges will be reluctant to give Mosley the rounds. Mosley's only chance is to win via decision i'm hoping the fight will be real closeand hope Shane wins.

Mosley has not shown that he is capable of ducking punches like Cotto did vs Margarito because as of late Shane gets hit easy as Mayorga landed some punches onMosley. This is what Cotto did really good when he ducked Margarito's punches this makes Margarito look almost easy to get counter punched.

Cotto was dodging those punches early
pimp.gif

2ho8boo.gif

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Shane has said that he plans to make his fight with Margarito a real fight and that he will not be running and will trade with Margarito as Shane thinks he has more power/speed than Margarito.

I think Shane should avoid Margarito all night by moving around with his footwork and staying away from Margarito's uppercut. Cotto ducked Margarito's punches well in the early rounds and was the counter puncher in the fight but late he couldn't handle the pressure that Margarito laid on him.

Nazim Richardson is the new trainer for Mosley and i hope Mosley doesn't stand in front of Margarito but then it would seem like he will be running all night and the judges will be reluctant to give Mosley the rounds. Mosley's only chance is to win via decision i'm hoping the fight will be real close and hope Shane wins.

Mosley has not shown that he is capable of ducking punches like Cotto did vs Margarito because as of late Shane gets hit easy as Mayorga landed some punches on Mosley. This is what Cotto did really good when he ducked Margarito's punches this makes Margarito look almost easy to get counter punched.

pimp.gif

2ho8boo.gif

Thats what Cotto did for the first 6 rounds of the right.... Counter Counter Counter.

And look where that got him...

I dont think you beat Margarito by counterpunching... You just gotta find a way to outwork him from round 1-12... Shane just has to fight at a steady pace tohave any chance

I dont think you beat Margarito by counterpunching...

exactly. Punisher was puttin them gloves in his face.
Ive also heard it somewhere that Margarito hasnt beaten anyone taller than him yet. so it could be something to that. I think U gotta stop him in his tracks.Shane got enough crack to do that. we'll see.
someone got a link to Clottey/Margarito. I need to see that fight in its entirety.

sidenote
Cotto Boxed a beautiful fight (to the eye) too bad it wasnt the right fight to win. he needed to grind out a victory and chop Antonio down with them body shots

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I dont think you beat Margarito by counterpunching...

Ive also heard it somewhere that Margarito hasnt beaten anyone taller than him yet. so it could be something to that. I think U gotta stop him in his tracks. Shane got enough crack to do that. we'll see.
someone got a link to Clottey/Margarito. I need to see that fight in its entirety.

sidenote
Cotto Boxed a beautiful fight (to the eye) too bad it wasnt the right fight to win. he needed to grind out a victory and chop Antonio down with them body shots

On point

It was on ESPN Classic earlier this month. I'm not sure if they're gonna replay it again.

I have it on the DVR but I don't got the tools to rip to a DVD or my hard-drive.

Originally Posted by tee eye ehm

understood. but im willing to say that now that pacman is a legitimate household name, he will too bring in a huge crowd. prior to the DLH and diaz fight, then no. but now that he is reigning supreme...he should be paid like that.

I agree that Pac is a household name, but Hatton is an even bigger one in the UK and brings MASSIVE amounts of money with him. I think a 50-50 split is fair,because they both will bring equal amounts of money to the table when its all said and done.

Ive also heard it somewhere that Margarito hasnt beaten anyone taller than him yet. so it could be something to that. I think U gotta stop him in his tracks. Shane got enough crack to do that. we'll see.
someone got a link to Clottey/Margarito. I need to see that fight in its entirety
He hasn't but I think there's only been 2 fighters taller than him esp at that weight class with his height...think Kermit the frog is thesame size though so I don't know how much weight you put on that...I don't know if Shane has enough crack though...Clottey/Margarito was onSurfthechannel.com I don't know if it's still there...check megavideo or hulu...it's not on YouTube? Clottey broke his hand in the 4th Ibelieve...and I'm not sure but I think that's the fight Margarito set the compubox record.

Shane thinks he has more power/speed than Margarito.
Speed most def but power IDK about all that...

This is what Cotto did really good when he ducked Margarito's punches this makes Margarito look almost easy to get counter punched.

pimp.gif

You gotta account for the fact that this dude is throwing about 100 punches per round so no one is going to duck all of them...Cotto was stillgetting hit with a couple shots early on.

I just hope it's a good fight that goes the distance and Margarito wins
laugh.gif

I am not saying Margarito "slaps" because he doesnt, he literally just beats his opponents down with high volume, effective (for the most part)punches. Calzaghe has that amateur/olympic type scoring points style.

i didnt mean that margarito slaps, im just calling joe calzaghe slappy and comparing the two because they win a lot of their rounds due to volume. notcomparing their power at all. i agree that margarito at least throws an effective volume of punches though.

i havent seen too many margarito fights, but has anyone fought him with a strategy of throwing big body shots in hopes of limiting his volume?

god damn it! i forgot about that fight. i guess thats how important it was! hahaha. i do stand corrected. no but seriously, that fight with paulie didnt do any kind of big numbers for PPV here in the US or in the UK. i think it did something like 200,000 PPV buys here in the US. pacman gets about that much as well fighting bums.

hatton vs. lazacno - televised on VERSUS! HBO and SHOWTIME both passed on showing the card!

hatton still sold more than pac man...im sure Mexicans bought most of those pac man fights when he fought a Mexican.

god damn it! i forgot about that fight. i guess thats how important it was! hahaha. i do stand corrected. no but seriously, that fight with paulie didnt do any kind of big numbers for PPV here in the US or in the UK. i think it did something like 200,000 PPV buys here in the US. pacman gets about that much as well fighting bums.

Hatton vs Paulie wasn't on PPV. How can you have buy numbers?

laugh.gif

Pacman beat mexicans out of their prime and now he is going to fight Hatton. Hatton in my opinon just isn't that good if anything he is a mediocre boxer. I would love to see Pacman fight Margarito (A Mexican in his Prime). This fight would sell a lot big time.

Quick question concerning the Margarito vs Mosley fight. Does anyone know what channel you go to pre-order the fight on Dish Network service. I look through mychannels and dont see it. I am thinking it might be one I hid in the past or could be another reason. Any help?

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Anoyone who watched 24-7 saw the dudes that Manny rolled/lived with, aint none of those dudes decision makers.

your right... none of the guys he lived and rolled with from 24/7 are the decision makers.

However, a couple big influence on Manny's decisions were there during the post-fight interview. One is a former governor and the other one is the currentvice president of the country, and the guy who has the most influence on him is actually... a canadien. He's the dude in the mullet at 24/7 helping Mannygive out food to the poor. He was also shown after Manny said his prayer at Wild Card gym- right after the cut-scenes to his hometown and mother. That dudeis a leech. I won't even mention his name. But his role is Manny's "advisor". But whatever influences politicians or advisors have onManny, the final decision is still on him.

BREAKING NEWS: PACQUIAO ACCEPTS EXISTING OFFER TO FIGHT HATTON

By Dong Secuya
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2009

pac.080612.150x150.jpg

Bacolod City -- After a long night and as the sun glimmers in the Philippines' eastern sky Friday, Pacquiao has finally gave the nod to his team to accept the existing offer from the Hatton camp to maybe finally seal the May 2 Pacquiao-Hatton superfight at MGM Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Pacquiao and his team are currently in Manila.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Pacquiao friend and confidant Rex 'Wakee' Salud informed PhilBoxing about the good news. The final financial deal is a 12 million dollar guarantee for Pacquiao and 52-48 PPV share in Pacquiao's favor.

The negotiation has been derailed after Pacquiao demanded a 60-40 PPV sharing in his favor from a 50-50 sharing being stipulated in the original contract. The Hatton camp countered with a 52-48 sharing in Pacquiao's favor and gave Pacquiao a Wednesday deadline to sign the contract. The fight has been called off as of yesterday when Pacquiao refused to budge as both parties issued statements blaming each other for the failed negotiation.

Over 3 bottles of beer
Pacquiao, whose playful antics would create joy and difficulty in his inner circle and this time reverberated into the boxing world by playing hard to get in the negotiation table, told Salud, who does not drink, that he would accept the contract only if Salud will down three bottles of beer. Salud, who had been trying to convince Pacquiao for days to sign the contract, was forced to drink this time around in order for the deal to be consummated.

Salud also informed that Arum was elated to hear the news that Pacquiao finally accepts the deal and that Arum may even come to the Philippines to do the press conference.

The Pacquiao-Hatton superfight on May 2 in Las Vegas is the year's most anticipated fight and is expected to sell out gate and short circuit tickets and break PPV records.

Originally Posted by Aztec

Quick question concerning the Margarito vs Mosley fight. Does anyone know what channel you go to pre-order the fight on Dish Network service. I look through my channels and dont see it. I am thinking it might be one I hid in the past or could be another reason. Any help?

the fight is on HBO

as for my 3rd post in a row
laugh.gif
back to the Mosley/Margarito fight

If Shane plans to trade and not run (bad decision though) he better not neglect the body. At the same time, cover his chin! During Shane's fight withMiguel, Shane was getting hit with clean head shots. I think Shane has a better chin than Cotto though... and Cotto is just prone to get hit withupper-cuts... Judah even kept land left uppercut on Cotto.

Shane CAN box... but he just prefers to fight! I am for Shane on this fight, hope he has the right game plan

Back
Top Bottom