09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

You try HBO HD tre? I checked the OnDemand once and it was under the HD section but not the regular one.

ahh i see- i'm on that tonight...good looks sir
pimp.gif

My boss left about half an hour before I was supposed to leave so I couldn't make it up to the Stadium today
laugh.gif
FML.

But it's cool, I got his ticket for tomorrow's game so I can get to (potentially) see Jeter make history.

anybody see the new mayweather marquez episode?

this dude marquez drinks his own piss
sick.gif
indifferent.gif

i was disgusted when i saw that. dude said its a good source of protein. has he never heard of protein shakes?
laugh.gif
couldnt pay me 1000000 bucks to drink piss
happy.gif

Paulie's been saying on Twitter that there's a rematch in NY, then finishing him off in Chicago but I doubt they'd hold that fight here...

Cotto presser a step to Stadium boxing?
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Manny Pacquiao stood face-to-face with Miguel Cotto on a makeshift stage set up along the first base line, the wind whipping off the facade of thenew Yankee Stadium and sending a chill through thousands of partisan fans.

If only two of the best fighters in the world had gloves strapped on.

Pacquiao, considered the pound-for-pound best, and welterweight champion Cotto were there merely to announce their Nov. 14 fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.It's a hotly anticipated ticket, and certain to lure a sellout crowd to the desert destination known in the boxing world as "Fight Town."

Yet their presence Thursday was reminiscent of the days when New York City held that mantle, when major boxing events were common at Madison Square Garden andthe old Yankee Stadium.

While there are still sporadic attractions at the Garden, most of the punches thrown in the Bronx the last three decades came from irascible former Yankeesmanager Billy Martin. All could be changing, promoters and team officials said, alluding to the possibility of major fights at the new, $1.5 billion stadiumnext year.

"We have a history of bringing big fights to the Yankee Stadium," said promoter Bob Arum, who put on Muhammad Ali's bout against Ken Norton onSept. 28, 1976, a fight remembered more for the chaos caused by a police strike than anything else.

"It's something we'd like to do again."

Arum had approached the Yankees several times over the past 30 years about staging another event at the stadium, but George Steinbrenner and club brass weretepid about erecting a ring and seating on the immaculate infield grass.

With the new leadership of Hal and Hank Steinbrenner, and better means of protecting the field, Arum is hopeful that a fight will come off at the ballpark nextyear.

"I think one of the reasons we had the press conference here is a precursor for a big, big event," Arum told The Associated Press. "Certainly abig fight is going to happen next year, and it's going to happen at Yankee Stadium."

The obvious megafight would pit the winner of Pacquiao-Cotto against the winner of next weekend's showdown between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan ManuelMarquez -- an idea that even appealed to Yankees chief operating officer Lonn Trost.

"There'll be a winner of this fight and a winner of the Mayweather fight," Trost said. "Where better to hold that fight than YankeeStadium?"

Trost declined to say whether there have been negotiations about holding a fight in the "House that Jeter Built," but the Yankees are eager to bringrevenue-producing events beyond baseball to the stadium. Already, several college football games are scheduled for the next few years, including Notre Dame vs.Army in November 2010.

Arum said it's unlikely that the Mayweather-Marquez and Pacquiao-Cotto winners would face each other, but it's possible that Cotto could cede histraditional spot at Madison Square Garden on the even of the Puerto Rican Day parade to up-and-coming star Juan Manuel Lopez. That would free Cotto, who has ahuge following in the Bronx, to headline in the ballpark.

"We're going to get one here at Yankee Stadium," said Melvina Lathan, the head of the New York State Athletic Commission. "We've got tocome back and revisit Yankee Stadium."

Great fights have been held in ballparks for decades, including some of the seminal moments for a sport that treasures its history.

Yankee Stadium, of course, is where Ray Robinson collapsed in the heat against Joey Maxim, and where Carmen Basilio shocked the world by beating Sugar himself.Joe Louis not only knocked out Max Schmeling under the twinkling lights, but struck a blow against Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany when he dropped the BlackUhlan of the Rhine in the first round.

Other ballparks have showcased big fights, from Louis winning the heavyweight title against James Braddock at Chicago's Comisky Park, to epic battles atthe Polo Grounds, Griffth Stadium, Ebbets Field and Fenway Park.

Some see those days as a bygone era, a moment in time that can never be replicated. Arum sees an opportunity to return boxing to the forefront of the Americanpsyche, in one of its most hallowed sporting grounds.

"Yankee Stadium had a great tradition of boxing," he said, "and hopefully with the new Yankee Stadium, we'll start a new tradition."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Cotto/Margarito II in the new Yankee stadium.
nerd.gif

Why not have that fight and JuanMa/Gamboa on the same card?! Could do epic numbers....

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Cotto/Margarito II in the new Yankee stadium.
nerd.gif

Why not have that fight and JuanMa/Gamboa on the same card?! Could do epic numbers....
That would be sick. Margarito was my boy, but after the beating he took from Sugar even with the wraps, it was game over...

Speaking of numbers, are there any predictions on the number of ppv buys Mayweather/Marquez are going to have?

Did anybody attend the press conference today?

Few observations/comments

- First off, Bob Arum is a sucker...you see where his loyalty lies considering they are both his fighters. Not once did Arum cross over to Cotto'sside...dude spent the entire presser behind Pac-Man & Roach.

-
laugh.gif
Clottey was there...it's funny because the crowd pretty muchlaughed him off when they showed Cotto put him down with that jab during the 1st rd of their fight.

- Paulie Malignaggi showed up through the crowd. Dude is gettin' alot of love since the Juan Diaz fight...he stole some attention away from Pac-Man'sentrance. Seems like a cool guy...managed to take a picture w/ him and had him sign my glove. He said they are talkin' to GB about a rematch for Jan, 20 ftRing, to be held somewhere on the east coast. We'll see what happens with that...

- As much as I dislike Pac-Man, his fans are quite loyal. Surprised at the amount of them that turned out...DEEP.

- Cotto/Pacquiao 24/7 premieres on Oct 24th.

- BTW...that Diamond, Catch-Weight WBC Belt is a joke...

EDIT: I'll put up the pic w/ Paulie, and the rest of them when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Did anybody attend the press conference today?

Few observations/comments

- First off, Bob Arum is a sucker...you see where his loyalty lies considering they are both his fighters. Not once did Arum cross over to Cotto's side...dude spent the entire presser behind Pac-Man & Roach.

-
laugh.gif
Clottey was there...it's funny because the crowd pretty much laughed him off when they showed Cotto put him down with that jab during the 1st rd of their fight.

- Paulie Malignaggi showed up through the crowd. Dude is gettin' alot of love since the Juan Diaz fight...he stole some attention away from Pac-Man's entrance. Seems like a cool guy...managed to take a picture w/ him and had him sign my glove. He said they are talkin' to GB about a rematch for Jan, 20 ft Ring, to be held somewhere on the east coast. We'll see what happens with that...

- As much as I dislike Pac-Man, his fans are quite loyal. Surprised at the amount of them that turned out...DEEP.

- Cotto/Pacquiao 24/7 premieres on Oct 24th.

- BTW...that Diamond, Catch-Weight WBC Belt is a joke...

EDIT: I'll put up the pic w/ Paulie, and the rest of them when I get a chance.
sounds dope
smokin.gif

Its 145.

Even though he didn't look good in his last fight training in the Philippines (think it was the 2nd MAB fight), If I'm PacMan I'd be more worriedabout adjusting to the time zone change. He's only gonna be training in the US for 3 or 4wks prior to the fight, its gonna take awhile to get adjusted tothe time zone and that could throw-off his timing and everything.

First off, Bob Arum is a sucker...you see where his loyalty lies considering they are both his fighters. Not once did Arum cross over to Cotto's side...dude spent the entire presser behind Pac-Man & Roach.
he is going to back his cash cows no matter what

just like he did that cheater even tho he broke the biggest rule in boxing

Cotto should of left for golden Boy

Originally Posted by Kingtre

You try HBO HD tre? I checked the OnDemand once and it was under the HD section but not the regular one.
ahh i see- i'm on that tonight...good looks sir
pimp.gif

no go - i checked everywhere that was related to HBO and boxing

ep1 is up there but no 2

just another reason to wonder why i pay comcast so much a month
smh.gif

My fault man. Its how I came across ep. 1, managed to catch the replay of ep. 2 the Sunday after. HBO is slacking big time if they havent uploaded these toOnDemand yet.

Tre, they serve booze/liquor in your theater? Guess that would be my only gripe, amongst other things, with watching that fight in the theater. That and Iwould most likely have to go to Revere.

Paulie's been shootin off on Twitter about the fight being all but done for NY in January so we'll see.

And Rob, JuanMa/Gamboa would do great numbers on it's own I doubt they'd put that fight as an undercard. They were talking about putting Paulie/Diaz onthe next Adamek undercard in NJ, but the same logic applies with that fight.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

My fault man. Its how I came across ep. 1, managed to catch the replay of ep. 2 the Sunday after. HBO is slacking big time if they havent uploaded these to OnDemand yet.

Tre, they serve booze/liquor in your theater? Guess that would be my only gripe, amongst other things, with watching that fight in the theater. That and I would most likely have to go to Revere.
yea they are slacking- only ep 1 up there as of yesterday-

and yes thats the thing- i only go to LUX theaters now and they have waitresses with full bars and good +!% menus with all types of food so its not the typicalmovie setting - my only prob would be celebrating with mad strangers
laugh.gif
ihate watching events like this at bars and stuff-

i havent been out that way in awhile so i dont know if they have any lux joints around revere
nerd.gif

^^^**** with that....

laugh.gif
@ Dana claiming to be a big Boxing dude....and not knowing JMM
indifferent.gif

I dont even hate MMA....i hate their fans with a passion. IMO, its MMA that feels "threatened". Boxing is fine....20 years for now I honestly thinkthe MMA hype will be dead.

Spider/Leites was a Dancing w/ the stars performance.....

Back
Top Bottom