09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

With Abraham v. Taylor it should be interesting, Abraham is a notroiously slow starter while Taylor is notorious for getting gassed in the later rounds. Wonderif there is a chance Taylor can take him out early?

I have come to the realization that I cannot quit JT. I did however to give up on Zab Judah, took me awhile though.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

With Abraham v. Taylor it should be interesting, Abraham is a notroiously slow starter while Taylor is notorious for getting gassed in the later rounds. Wonder if there is a chance Taylor can take him out early?
Not a chance

I have come to the realization that I cannot quit JT. I did however to give up on Zab Judah, took me awhile though.
laugh.gif
This fight should do it for you

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I also thought Gerry Penalosa landed some good shots on JuanMa - just didnt have any power.

I was sayin that thruought that fight. thats why i thought Roach shouldnt have stopped it *shrugs*

I thought it was a combination of that and the shots he was taking.

Wonder if there is a chance Taylor can take him out early?
He's going to have to empty the tank to do that and if he doesn't take him out JT is done by the 7th or 8th.

No doubt Penalosa wouldve finished the fight.....he just wasn't going to win it. Did Roach stop it early? Depends on your philosophy on finishing fights...

That's one thing he's got a ton of. I'm still a little iffy about him moving up in weight though. And I wouldn't go and put him in there withCaballero right after this fight.

If you've never seen Caballero fight take a look at his unification fight with Molitor where he mopped the floor with him. Or even better his greatperformance against a prime Ponce De Leon who was pretty much walking through everyone until they met up.

box_dirrell_froch_576.jpg

laugh.gif

So just who is the favorite to win Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic, the modified round-robin tournament involving six elite super middleweights that will play out over the next 18 months or so and, hopefully, give us a series of outstanding fights?

Do you like Mikkel Kessler, the experienced titleholder from Denmark, who has fast hands, good power and terrific skills?

How about the other titleholder in the field, England's Carl Froch, who has great heart, good power, an excellent chin and pure confidence?

Do you think either of the young American rising stars, 2004 Olympic medalists Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell, both blessed with great speed, can make up for their lack of experience with their tremendous quickness and skill?

What about former undisputed middleweight champ Jermain Taylor, who has fallen on hard times but has a tremendous resume that includes two victories over the great Bernard Hopkins?

And then there is former middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham, the knockout artist who gave up his belt to move up in weight to take a shot at the bigger guys.

I've said all along that Kessler deserves to be the favorite. However, I also look at Ward and Dirrell as having serious shots to win because of their youth, speed and ring intelligence.

Really, you can argue that any of these guys have the talent to win, although let's be honest -- it is hard to see Taylor coming all the way through. But with so many even matches, so many good storylines and so many fights that figure to be action-packed, this tournament is one of the greatest things to happen in boxing in many, many years.

The fun all starts with the first two bouts of the tournament on Saturday night (Showtime, 8 ET/PT) when Froch defends his title against Dirrell in England and Abraham hosts Taylor in Germany.

Danny Sheridan, the renowned sports handicapper I used to work with when I was covering boxing for USA TODAY, has set the odds for each fighter in the tournament as well as the line for the Group Stage 1 bouts.

He makes Abraham (30-0, 24 KOs) and Kessler (42-1, 32 KOs) 1:1 co-favorites to win the whole shootin' match.

Sheridan lists Froch (25-0, 20 KOs) 2:1 against winning the tournament while Dirrell (18-0, 13 KOs) and Ward (20-0, 13 KOs) face 5:2 odds. It's no surprise that he lists Taylor as the biggest underdog at 10:1.

In Saturday's bouts, Abraham, according to Sheridan, is a 13:5 favorite over Taylor and Froch is a 3:2 favorite over Dirrell. I agree with him that Abraham should beat Taylor but I like Dirrell in the mild upset.

The third fight of Group Stage 1 pits Kessler against Ward in Ward's hometown of Oakland on Nov. 21. Sheridan has Kessler as the 3:1 favorite.

Ward and Kessler will be watching Saturday's bouts with interest. Eventually, Kessler will have to face Froch and Taylor as the tournament progresses and Ward will meet Taylor and Dirrell.

"Overall, of course, I'm pulling for the Americans in each bout," Ward said. "I don't think anyone has given any of the three of us much of a chance to get past the first round with a victory.

"With Jermain Taylor and Arthur Abraham stylistically, I don't think Abraham is going to put a whole lot of pressure on Taylor in the later rounds. I think Jermain has worked on his stamina problems, and will be well prepared for the later rounds in this fight. I just feel like Jermain is the bigger, stronger man. If Jermain fights a disciplined fight, he should also come out of the first round with a victory."

As for the second half of Saturday's doubleheader, Ward is also picking the American.

"In the Dirrell-Froch fight, I feel that if Dirrell fights a disciplined fight and continues to do what he's been doing in the ring, but does it better because this is another level of competition, I don't see why he won't walk away with the victory," Ward said.

Kessler, who will attend Abraham-Taylor, wasn't as strong in his opinion.

"I am looking forward to seeing the Abraham-Taylor fight live in Berlin," Kessler said. "The key words of the fight are power versus intelligence as I see it -- Abraham as raw power and Taylor as the smart, intelligent fighter. Hopefully, the fight will promote the Super Six tournament as it should be promoted. That counts as well for the Froch-Dirrell fight later that night in Nottingham.

"Froch-Dirrell is experience vs. the eager of youth. Froch is known for his stamina and ability to return when everything is against him. Dirrell is a super talent -- he is young, but has already proven his position in the division. He is difficult to fight because he is changing styles all the time. Again, this is a fight that is hard to predict."

When I was in New York last week for the outstanding Juan Manuel Lopez-Rogers Mtagwa fight, I had a chance to talk with former junior middleweight titlist Raul Marquez, who was one of the announcers for the pay-per-view telecast. He also happened to have faced Taylor and Abraham during his career. He fought Taylor when Taylor was on his rise to the title and was stopped by him in the ninth round of a tough fight in 2004. After that loss, Marquez went 6-0-1 in his next seven fights. Then came a sixth-round TKO loss to Abraham, who battered Marquez into retirement 11 months ago.

Marquez likes Abraham over Taylor, and you have to respect his opinion because of his own experiences with them.

"When me and Jermain fought, he was near his prime," said Marquez, who also said he thought Abraham would emerge as the tournament winner. "But that was a long time ago. He's had a lot of tough fights since then and he isn't what he used to be, especially after Kelly Pavlik knocked him out. Abraham is so strong and hasn't had those wars. I think Abraham can wear Jermain down and win it late."

Everyone has an opinion on the tournament. Let's see how it all plays out. One thing, however, is practically certain -- it's going to be a blast.

A serious question for ya'll...hoping Dako (You're currently training, aren't you?) can provide me with some advice, as well.

Well, I grew up with the sport of Boxing...loved it since I was a kid. During my senior year in HS, I decided to start seriously training and see where ittakes me. But I couldn't put in the time/effort that I intended to...training, trying to graduate, and work a part-time job grew to be too much. I thinkabout what could've happen had I started younger ALL THE TIME. So i'm 22 (Turn 23 in May) at this age...most Boxers have been through an extensiveamateur career, are serious prospects, or are they're way to a Title. I look at that and seriously begin to doubt myself...yet I look at Nate Campbell, whodidn't start boxing until he was 25...become a Champion at 35 years old. Could I seriously consider training at 22 years old and possibly go places withthis?

^Possible, but if you allow someone response in this thread discourage, then you never had a chance! At 22, you are still "young" but honestly, youhave a lot of work to put in and more importantly I believe you should be coming to the table with something (a natural gift, ability, speed, athleticcapabilities, something)

I think you have to ask yourself some serious questions... what are you in it for? Do you have it in your heart to fight? Can you change your lifestyle,work(out) ethics, food, etc?

You would be behind most of your peers that age but that doesn't mean you can't train hard... but you have to remember it isn't an overnightthing... that's why I respect boxers, taking beatings and giving beatings, fight after fight, tournament after tournament, for free as an amateur, thenworking their way up the ranks as a pro.

Perfectly put.

I used to box recreationally as a teenager but stopped to pursue more knuckleheaded activities. I started back training at 23 for the love of the sport andgave it my all but unless you have a natural gift...lead fists, supreme timing, lightning speed, split second instincts...its going to be an uphill battle justto be a journeyman.

My gym partners brought their 3 year old kids in to train and they themselves have been boxing since 5 and 6 years old....there is really nothing you can do toreplace that kind of experience, lifestyle and mindframe. You will notice yourself getting better and better as time goes by but you will still be learningthings in the rings that your 19 year old opponent mastered at 15. If you have determination of steel and natural talent you can make a name for yourself afterseveral years of training and fighting but your window of opportunity will be shortened by age, just like Nate's. You're always going to be fightingcats that are younger than you, so you just have to be better.

Boxing is a TOUGH sport to pursue seriously.

The last year or so I've been training various martial arts and i love it but i'm going to go back to the boxing gym soon to supplement my training.The watered down boxing in these arts just makes me love the sweet science that much more.

If you really love the sports get in the gym, give it your all and see where it takes you. You could be that next "Nate Campbell"...

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

A serious question for ya'll...hoping Dako (You're currently training, aren't you?) can provide me with some advice, as well.

Well, I grew up with the sport of Boxing...loved it since I was a kid. During my senior year in HS, I decided to start seriously training and see where it takes me. But I couldn't put in the time/effort that I intended to...training, trying to graduate, and work a part-time job grew to be too much. I think about what could've happen had I started younger ALL THE TIME. So i'm 22 (Turn 23 in May) at this age...most Boxers have been through an extensive amateur career, are serious prospects, or are they're way to a Title. I look at that and seriously begin to doubt myself...yet I look at Nate Campbell, who didn't start boxing until he was 25...become a Champion at 35 years old. Could I seriously consider training at 22 years old and possibly go places with this?

I think it's a mistake to ever ask people if your too old to do something. Sure, it can be more of a challenge but people like Nate Campbell or RockyMarciano who both didn't start boxing until they were 25 would have never gotten anywhere if they listened to people tell them they were too old. Perhapsa better question to ask yourself is if your willing to put in the effort at this stage of your life.

Former 160-pound titleholder Arthur Abraham (30-0, 24 KOs) weighed in at the super middleweight division limit of 168 pounds, while his opponent, former middleweight champ Jermain Taylor (28-3-1, 17 KOs) tipped the scales at 166¼ pounds.

The two super middleweights will fight in front of a sellout crowd of more than 14,000 fans at the o2 World Arena in Berlin, Germany, Abraham's adopted hometown, on Saturday, Oct. 17.

The fight, which will be televised on Showtime (8 p.m. ET/PT) in the U.S., is the kick-off bout to the Super Six World Boxing Classic 168-pound tournament.

Abraham-Taylor will air on a delay and be followed immediately by the live telecast of Carl Froch-Andre Dirrell title bout from Nottingham, England.
Super middleweight beltholder Carl Froch and his challenger Andre Dirrell both weighed in at 167½ pounds each on Friday in front of an estimated crowd of 3,000 people at the famed Market Square in Nottingham, England.

Froch (25-0, 20 KOs), a Nottingham native, will attempt to defend his title on home turf at the Trent FM Arena, where a sellout crowd of about 8,000 fans is expected.

The 12-round bout is one half of the first stage of the inaugural Super Six World Boxing Classic Cup on Saturday, Oct. 17, and will be broadcast live on Showtime in the U.S., beginning at 8 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).

Dirrell (18-0, 13 KOs) made weight on his second attempt, having weighed in earlier in the evening at 168.4 lbs. He had up to two hours to make the official weight for the title fight, but took approximately 45 minutes to return to the scales at 167½.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Well, I grew up with the sport of Boxing...loved it since I was a kid. During my senior year in HS, I decided to start seriously training and see where it takes me. But I couldn't put in the time/effort that I intended to...training, trying to graduate, and work a part-time job grew to be too much. I think about what could've happen had I started younger ALL THE TIME. So i'm 22 (Turn 23 in May) at this age...most Boxers have been through an extensive amateur career, are serious prospects, or are they're way to a Title. I look at that and seriously begin to doubt myself...yet I look at Nate Campbell, who didn't start boxing until he was 25...become a Champion at 35 years old. Could I seriously consider training at 22 years old and possibly go places with this?
you actually started way younger than me bro. i say keep at it! I started after college just for fitness reasons, then i just enjoyed the sportso much and joined some amateur fights. Just be persistent, work on fundementals, study the greats... which is what i do all the time. What gave meconfidence in my abilities is when i started sparring with pro boxers. You gradually get better through experience.

I was leaning towards Ward. But now, I'm gonna say Dirrell. He kinda reminds me of a 168 lb Mayweather
laugh.gif
But backpedals more than Floyd. I see him as the most talented of thebunch... he just needs to let his hands go!

The hot story, broken by BoxingScene.com's Ronnie Nathanielsz, and later denied by Michael Koncz - has now been confirmed to be 100% legit. As previously reported on BoxingScene, Manny Pacquiao's conditioning coach Alex Ariza punched out Michael Koncz, who is Pacquiao's advisor, after tempers exploded at Manny's training camp in Baguio City.

Ariza lost his cool after finding out that Koncz tried to get him bounced from working Pacquiao's corner for the November 14 clash with WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto. Koncz wanted to work the corner in place of Ariza. When reached for comment by BoxingScene, Koncz denied the beating and had no further comment on the incident.

Ariza spoke with Michael Marley of The Examiner and confirmed the altercation, which took place at the Cooyesan Hotel in Baguio City. Ariza said Koncz verbally snapped at him when asked as to why he was trying to pull him out of Pacquiao's corner. Ariza then unloaded with five punches before bodyguards pulled him off.

"We were upstairs in the living room of Manny's suite," Ariza said. "He snapped at me, he got sarcastic and I did something not in my character. I told him, 'Get up out of the chair.' He didn't get up and I punched him. Three of Manny's bodyguards pulled me off him. You can't rationalize with him, you can't be diplomatic. I'm here to do my job, to be there for Manny 24/7. Koncz really has no role except for errand boy."

Ariza was personally told by Pacquiao to work the corner. So when Ariza asked Koncz why he was going against Pacquiao's orders, Koncz told him "none of your f***ing business!"

Then Ariza just lost it.

"I hit Koncz and he started screaming. That's when the bodyguards moved in and grabbed me, pulled me off him."

During the last few weeks, Koncz has become the clear heel to Pacquiao fans. He traded words with Manny's trainer Freddie Roach. It was recently revealed that Koncz tried to get Roach removed as trainer over money. And Koncz has tried to overstep Roach and make actual training camp decisions. Many Filipino boxing fans are begging Pacquiao to get rid of Koncz.

Who said this was going to be a boring 24/7?

roll.gif

^^ lol... everyone in the PI hates that dude Koncz. Met him once at the gym. Shady looking dude
boxingHD014007432.jpg

PART 2-EXCLUSIVE REPORT-BOMBS OVER BAGUIO

When Manny Pacquiao's widely revered Coach Freddie Roach got to the Pinoy Idol's training camp in Baguio, his archrival Michael Koncz had a little surprise for him.

Most of the Pacman crew, including the fighter himself, were checked into the Cooyesan Hotel.

But, according to Pacman strength and conditioning guru Alex Ariza, there was no room at the inn for Roach.

Instead of bugging out and possibly upsetting the boxer, Roach accepted accommodations at the Manor Hotel.

"Koncz did that, he did that on purpose," Ariza told me Friday by telephone from the Cooyesan Hotel.

Ariza physically attacked Koncz in Pacquiao's suite when he discovered that the furtive Canadian agent-labeled only an "errand boy" by Ariza-was trying to change Pacman's mind and have him replaced in the corner on fight night with, guess who, Koncz.

Ariza said shifting Roach to the other hotel and keeping him at a physical distance from Manny was a typical Koncz move.

"It's all divide and conquer with this guy," the 35 year old native of Colombia told me.

Ariza said Roach was initially upset to discover he had no room reserved at the Cooyesan after the long flight from Los Angeles to Manila and then on to Baguio.

"Freddie was like, 'You've got to be fugging kidding me, I got no room here?'

"I went to the guy at the front desk and he was apologetic but he told me there was nothing he could because Koncz made the arrangements and that was it.

"It was a typical Koncz move. You just can't reason with this guy because he's always going behind your back."

Coach Freddie Roach was relegated to the Manor Hotel at Camp John Hay, Baguio

Like many others who have observed Koncz, Ariza feels that the agent has some mental problems in dealing with other people.

Roach's boxing credentials are beyond question. The ex-fighter is considered the premier trainer of his generation and is widely in demand.

For his own part, Ariza's resume is strong in boxing and with MMA athletes. He's worked for Diego Corrales, Amir Khan, Angel Manfredy among others.

Ariza is known as a "Roach guy" and he works seamlessly with the head trainer.

Ariza said his punchout of Koncz was a one off, that he usually gets along with everyone.

"I've never had a fight with any athlete, with any manager, with any trainer, with anybody but this guy is always trying to alienate people."
PART 3

EXCLUSIVE REPORT: BOMBS OVER BAGUIO AS PACQUIAO EXPLODES IN FIGHT

His strength, conditioning and nutrition guru Alex Ariza just jumped on his agent and go-fer Michael Koncz.

Manny Pacquiao's beefy bodyguards had to pull an enraged Ariza off the older man in the living room of the boxer's palatial suite at the Cooyesan Hotel in Baguio.

Ariza rained punches in the Canadian's grill when Koncz told Coach Alex "it's none of your fugging business" in reply to a question about why the backstabbing and occasionally frontstabbing agent was trying to persuade Megamanny to put him in his corner on fight night and remove the Freddie Roach assistant.

Ariza, 35, a young man with a solid background working with top level boxers and MMA athletes, told me Koncz has a history of messing him about.

"For the Ricky Hatton bout in May, Koncz made sure I didn't get the wristband necessary to get past security into Manny's locker room at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

"I had to go to (Top Rank president) Todd duBoef to get a wristband. Those are the kind of petty power games that Koncz likes to play."

So what effect does all this swirling dissension have on Pacman? Not much, it seems although sources other than Ariza told me that Manny sat Koncz down and told him in no uncertain terms to keep his nose out of boxing issues.

"Manny was quite firm with Michael this time," the source said. "Manny told him to only do what Manny tells him to do. But Michael seems to ignore these warnings because he then goes out and tries to sabotage everyone else. His real hatred is for Coach Roach as everyone knows."

I tried to get in touch with Pacman Friday night but a man at the front desk informed the fighter and his Pacquiao Posse were unavailable because they were shooting hoops at the hotel's basketball court.

His strength coach jumps on his agent.

And Manny works on his jump shots.

laugh.gif

PART FOUR

BOMBS OVER BAGUIO - MANNY PACQUIAO EXPLODES

There seems to be no end to people connected to Manny Pacquiao who complain about the machinations of furtive Canadian agent Michael Koncz.

Koncz tossed gasoline on the already burning fued between himself and Pacman trainer Coach Freddie Roach when he uttered the famous line, "Roach is just the trainer."

Now I've revealed how, according to strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza, Koncz deliberately failed to reserve a room for Roach at the Cooyesan Hotel in Baguio where everyone except for the trainer is staying.

Ariza, of course, has had all he can stomach of Koncz trying to block like the Steelers offensive line and exploded on the agent's head with four or five rapid fire punches in Pacman's plush suite on Thursday. Beefy bodyguards saved the older man from a real beatdown by grabbing Ariza to stop the assault.

Now a well-placed American source who is privy to the swirling soap opera which surrounds Megamanny tells me, on the condition of anonymity, that Koncz's power grabs have spun completely out of control.

"Michael is like Hitler but without the charm and intelligence," the source said. "His power trip has become so pervasive that he has now irritated Manny's wife, Jinkee. He's got Jinkee tripping out and that cannot help Koncz in the long run.

"Michael wants Manny to dump his whole team, including his staff in Los Angeles, because he wants to create his own Team Pacquiao, a situation where everyone answers to him."

For the record, my repeated attempts to reach Koncz and get his side of the overall story and his side on the attack by Ariza have gone for naught.

I don't want anyone saying that Marley operates under "I distort and I decide."

You know my number, Agent Koncz, 917 853 4484.

"White Gorilla" operators are standing by

Taylor beats King Arthur...i'm callin' it.

ohwell.gif
I'll probably be wrong...BUT, i'm goin' with my gutfeeling.

As for my prediction...I believe Kessler is far too talented to lose, but i'm actually rooting for Ward.

P.S. Thanks for the positive feedback ya'll...

I got Froch and JT tonight. Froch by UD and JT by SD.

And of course, I have "S.O.G" Ward winning the entire thing. I think he MIGHT lose to Kessler in November, but he will not lose any fights afterthat. Y'all are crazy if you think Dirrell is more talented than Ward.

Back
Top Bottom