09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

i'm really interested to see Berto vs Mosley. Both guys with hand speed and power... and both guys like to fight... Berto kinda flat footed though, Shanequicker footed.. yet both won't run
pimp.gif
I believe Collazo isunderrated was just a bad match up for Berto and most orthodox boxers so i won't use that to guage Berto's career.

But i definitely see Shane vs Dre a good fight.

And Paul Williams is just a bad match up for anyone in the welter-weight division. 6'1 southpaw that loves throwing lotta pot-shots.. he'd pickapart Cotto or anyone in this division

(i remember someone posting something this similar scenario previously, forgot who.. proshare was it? ... could be the exact same scenario!?!)
You explained it much simpler than I did
laugh.gif

I'm really not interested in seein tonio vs punisher I'd rather see williams vs cotto/mosley/berto/pbf
I'd still like to see it even though I know how it might turn out
laugh.gif

They said Margarito stayed the night in the hospital.

That's two straight fights where he took incredible amount of power head shots.
smh.gif

All bad. I hope he doesn't suffer bigger problems down the way
Jeez...15 years of fighting he might not (should not) be taking fights for too long.

Haze, I was readin somewhere they basically had that fight finalized before HBO threw $ in play for Margarito/Mosely.

Remember they had berto/forbes and shane/mayorga on same card. They were leading up to that match up.

I don't see Shane going down to fight someone like Berto right now, especially after Berto's win against Collazo. If he ever does fight Berto, I'dsee it happening in a year or so once Berto has a few more good wins under his belt.

I'm not too interested in seeing Marg/Paul again, though I'd be intrigued in seeing Paul/Cotto or Paul/Mosley.

hmm, thats intersting. like having margarito/golden johnson during the undercard of mosley/cotto main event... and eventually marg/cotto became a match

A weekly boxing list compiled by Michael Rosenthal. This week: Fighters we'd like to see Shane Mosley face.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.: This is the one Mosley and his handlers are targeting.
2. Manny Pacquiao: Freddie Roach wouldn't let it happen -- wisely.
3. Andre Berto: This explosive pairing would produce a war.
4. Miguel Cotto: Mosley has earned a rematch of a close fight.
5. Antonio Margarito: Margarito gave Mosley a shot; one good turn deserves another.
6. Luis Collazo: A healthy Collazo would put up a good fight.
7. Vernon Forrest: Mosley would love another shot after losing to Forrest twice.
8. Paul Williams: Williams' style would pose Mosley problems.
9. Kermit Cintron: The two warriors would make for a can't-miss action fight.
10. Ricky Hatton: If he can beat Pacquiao, this would be a fun fight to watch.

I'mma need to re-watch Cotto vs. Mosley. That was a good fight.
Just watched Tonio vs. Mosley for like the 3rd time. I'm
roll.gif
every time I see Mosley give Tonio dap after him knocks him down in the 8th
laugh.gif

I say Punisher gets the winner of a Cotto-Mosley rematch. Margarito needs to build himself back up a bit after getting destroyed like that.

2 weeks until Vic-Arce
pimp.gif
. Showtime deserves props for making these little man fights and giving them main event status. Not enough tv time is spent on the122 pounders and below. Now that i think about it, how many main events or even co-features has HBO had that featured Super-Bantam's or lighter the lastfew years?

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

A weekly boxing list compiled by Michael Rosenthal. This week: Fighters we'd like to see Shane Mosley face.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.: This is the one Mosley and his handlers are targeting.
2. Manny Pacquiao: Freddie Roach wouldn't let it happen -- wisely.
3. Andre Berto: This explosive pairing would produce a war.
4. Miguel Cotto: Mosley has earned a rematch of a close fight.
5. Antonio Margarito: Margarito gave Mosley a shot; one good turn deserves another.
6. Luis Collazo: A healthy Collazo would put up a good fight.
7. Vernon Forrest: Mosley would love another shot after losing to Forrest twice.
8. Paul Williams: Williams' style would pose Mosley problems.
9. Kermit Cintron: The two warriors would make for a can't-miss action fight.
10. Ricky Hatton: If he can beat Pacquiao, this would be a fun fight to watch.
I'mma need to re-watch Cotto vs. Mosley. That was a good fight.
Just watched Tonio vs. Mosley for like the 3rd time. I'm
roll.gif
every time I see Mosley give Tonio dap after him knocks him down in the 8th
laugh.gif

I don't see PBF coming out of "retirement," for a Mosley fight. If anything, if Pacman beats Hatton, THEN I can see him coming outfor that $$$. I think Cotto makes most sense, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

I say Punisher gets the winner of a Cotto-Mosley rematch. Margarito needs to build himself back up a bit after getting destroyed like that.

I got almost zero interest in that rematch. Shane was just hanging around in some of those middle rounds

Cotto vs Willliams has to happen in 2009.

Props to Shane and Richardson for having a great strategy and executing it. Very entertaining fight even though it was mad one-sided. I guess that Marg vs.Cotto summer rematch will have to wait as things have gotten even more interesting.

Berto doesnt have enough on his resume to get a shot at Shane right now.... Its gonna be Shane/Cotto sometime in summer

There are a lot of good match ups to be made but I am wonder if Williams can still make 147 . I mean after going to 154 and 160 yeah i know early on in hiscareer he was fighting in the high 150's but at this level the yo-yo'ing should have some type of effect on him .But he seems to not let himself gobetween fights and he is skinny anyway so who knows . BUt you dont wanna see him looking all drained like Erick Morales when he was trying to make 122 .

Shane already said he only wants mega fights so i figure it goes like this Shane fights Cotto then Berto and Possibly Williams but it wont be at 147 i think154 would get the fight done . As far as Vic-Arce goes it going to be a one sided beating Arce isnt the same fighter and Vic is huge at the weight .

I know people that have sparred with Paul in the past and they've told me dude walks around between 175-180. I also heard dude has sparred some lightheavies to help them out in their camp. Not sure how true these things are, but Paul and his people have stated he wouldn't have any trouble getting backdown to '47 so I only hope he's able to get someone "legit" in the ring in the coming months.

Sergio Martinez vs Kermit Cintron feb. 14

Is this Kermits first bout at this weight?
smh.gif
wow that's a huge jump if it is

Has punisher vs Winky been officially signed to go yet?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Sergio Martinez vs Kermit Cintron feb. 14

Is this Kermits first bout at this weight?
smh.gif
wow that's a huge jump if it is

Has punisher vs Winky been officially signed to go yet?

Nope.... I checked every 2009 boxing schedule online and none of them have that fight scheduled yet

And Sergio is gonna kill Kermit the frog

Watched the fight absolutely hammered when I got home Saturday night/Sunday morning, whatever you want to call it and needless to say I was like a pig in #+%!. I watched the fight three more times yesterday and felt like several pigs in #+%!. What a performance...
pimp.gif

I don't think Mosley will want fights vs Williams, Clottey, Berto because as he has said he is only looking for Mega Fights and those 3 are not going toget him a lot of money in PPV.

The fights that he wants are Cotto, Hatton, Pacquiao, and Floyd Mayweather if he decides to come back those fights will likely be on PPV.

some news and updates. Pac Hatton confirmed, Katsidis fight this weekend, Tyson Holyfield 3???
HATTON'S PACQUIAO FIGHT CONFIRMED
E-mail Article Print-Friendly Subscribe to RSS Feed
http://del.icio.us/post?v=4;url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+';title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)">
delicious.gif
Post to del.icio.us Facebook

By Phil Barnett, PA Sport

Ricky Hatton has finally secured his second shot at becoming the world's best pound-for-pound fighter after his Las Vegas showdown with Manny Pacquiao was confirmed.

The Mancunian, currently the world's top light-welterweight, will face pound-for-pound king Pacquiao on May 2, a year and a half after losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr at the same MGM Grand venue.

He fell short against the brilliant Mayweather, who subsequently retired, but believes he has the tools to shock Filipino Pacquiao, who confirmed his status as the world's leading fighter with victories over Juan Manuel Marquez, David Diaz and Oscar De La Hoya in 2008.

After weeks of protracted negotiations surrounding Pacquiao's increased financial demands, the fight will now go ahead and a press conference will be held on Thursday to officially announce the contest.

Hatton's lawyer Gareth Williams told PA Sport this afternoon he is in possession of the contract, which the Mancunian will sign as soon as it has been checked.

"We have got the contract, signed by Manny," Williams told PA Sport.

He revealed Hatton has yet to sign the contract - purely because of logistics with Williams being in London today - but said: "It won't be a problem and we'll announce the fight at a press conference on Thursday.

"All the pressure is off now."

The deal follows weeks of uncertainty after it emerged Pacquiao wanted to renegotiate financial terms despite having agreed a 50-50 split before Christmas.

Williams said on Thursday that the fight was "dead in the water" for the time being, but admitted the appearance of a signed contract would force them to reconsider.

Yet Pacquiao's promoters Top Rank declared on Friday the fight was back on after Pacquiao agreed late last week to share the proceeds equally with the Mancunian.

Pacquiao released a statement on Thursday reiterating his desire to fight Hatton and stating his wish to "get it on without the middlemen" before finally signing the contract.

Hatton's American promoters, Golden Boy, had begun early negotiations with possible alternative opponents Oscar De La Hoya and Mayweather, but the 'Hitman' has now secured the fight he really wanted after stopping Paulie Malignaggi in November.

Pacquiao, who, like Hatton, is 30 years old, is officially a four-weight world champion having won titles at flyweight, super-bantamweight, super-featherweight and lightweight. But he beat Marco Antonio Barrera at featherweight in 2003 and De La Hoya at welterweight before Christmas in non-title contests which earned him huge respect within the sport.

Hatton's nominal IBO light-welterweight title, as well as the more meaningful but unofficial Ring Magazine belt, will be on the line against Pacquiao.

[h3]Katsidis eager for Saturday fight[/h3]
AUSTRALIAN boxing star Michael "The Great" Katsidis is pumped for his comeback fight against Argentinean Angel Hugo Ramirez as he will be battling him in the "country he adores."

Katsidis, who acted as the team captain of the successful 2007 Philippine squad in the World Cup of Boxing spectacle, is a
fan of Filipino boxers and is eager to fight in the place that he really dreamed of fighting in.

"Katsidis is in tiptop condition. He is really excited to fight in the Philippines. He told me that he loves Filipinos and loves to fight in front of the Filipino fans," said SGG Promotions' Sammy Gello-ani.

War

Gello-ani promotes this Jan. 31 boxing extravaganza dubbed "War" at the Cebu Coliseum.

Katsidis, who is on a two-fight losing streak against former world champions Joel Casa-mayor and Juan Diaz, is looking to redeem himself against Ramirez for the World Boxing Organization Asia-Pacific lightweight title.

The 28-year-old former WBO interim lightweight titleholder has prepared well for Ramirez, training in Thailand and sparring with WBO Oriental super featherweight king Anthony "Rocky" Marcial, who will also be defending his crown against Thailand's Vacharakrit Senayan.

Sparring

"Katsidis has been sparring with opponents of different styles. He has been sparring with left and right handed fighters. So he will be ready whatever Ramirez brings in front of him.

"I don't know a lot about Ramirez because his fights are only in Spain and Argentina but they say that he's a good," said Gello-ani.

Katisdis arrived in Cebu last night and is staying at his official home, the Marriot Hotel.

On the other hand, his opponent, Ramirez, will be arriving this afternoon along with WBO representative Leon Panoncillo.

Title-defense

Also defending their crowns in this fight card will be WBO Oriental super bantamweight champion Ciso "Kid Terrible" Morales, against Pichit-choke Singmanasak and WBO Asia Pacific Youth flyweight titlist Marvin "Marvelous" Sonsona, against Liempetch Sor Veerapol.

The tickets for this fight are available at the Marriot Hotel lobby, Sunburst outlets and at the Cebu Coliseum.

The first bout will start at 5 p.m. and will be shown on Studio 23 (delayed telecast) at 9 p.m. and will be replayed the following day on ABS-CBN at 9 a.m. (EKA)

PROPOSED HOLYFIELD-TYSON III

PhilBoxing.com
27 Jan 2009

tyson.bites.holyfield.220w.jpg

As posted by The National on January 26, 2009, talks are underway for a third match between former world heavyweight champions Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. According to Hydra Properties chief executive Sulaiman al Fahim, one of the proponents of the transaction, plans are still under conciliation but the fight is expected to happen in October.

Abu Dhabi Sports Council (ADSC), the government body regulating sport, has yet to approve of the proposed revival of one of the most bizarre fights in the history of boxing. Tyson, 42 and Holyfield, 46 are both keen on the proposal, according to their respective camps.

Tyson-Holyfield I, also known as "Finally," was fought on November 9, 1996 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was No. 4 box-office PPV hit in history with 1.59 million buys. Tyson was defending his undisputed world heavyweight title against Holyfield, who was 34 at the time of the fight and a great underdog.

With Tyson severely beaten, the referee stopped the fight in the eleventh canto, giving Holyfield one of the most famous upset victories in fight history. Holyfield also became the first person since Muhammad Ali to win a heavyweight championship belt three times, although unlike Ali, Holyfield shared it with George Foreman who got a piece of the title at that time.

The Holyfield-Tyson rematch on June 28, 1997 is the second largest pay-per-view selling fight in the record of live boxing telecast with 1.99 million PPV buys, surpassed only by the Oscar de la Hoya-Floyd Mayweather, Jr. match. It was also known as "The Bite Fight" of "Bite of the Century." Tyson bit off a piece of Holyfield's ear in the fight which was originally dubbed as Holyfield-Tyson II, "The Sound and the Fury."

The fight happened at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada and was stopped at the end of the third round, with Tyson disqualified for biting Holyfield on both ears. One bite was brutal enough to remove a portion of Holyfield's right ear, which was found on the ring canvas after the fight.

Tyson later declared that it was a retribution for Holyfield's repetitively head butting him without penalty. Tyson's boxing license was revoked by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and he was fined $3 million and other penalties. But a little more than a year on October 18, 1998, the commission voted 4-1 to reinstate Tyson's boxing license.

The plan, if it would push through, is just a promotional boxing gimmick to ignite the world's interest on the second and third leading PPV boxing earners. Both boxers were only exceeded by de la Hoya in PPV income. Both Tyson and Holyfield, already in the sunset of their careers, could somehow let boxing fans remember the most violent boxing encounter in modern fight history.

Went to the boxing gym for the first time in 2months today
smh.gif

Feeling like Ricky Fatton and %$++
sick.gif

My mexican trainer was salty as hell tho
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Kept telling me that Mosley still on 'roids and the EPO never left his system.

Haven't been round these parts since Sat night...

Who said Boxing was dead? 20,000 were in attendance at the Staples Center.
pimp.gif

Also, HBO is on a roll to start off 09.
pimp.gif
Def gonna make up for thatlackluster 2008, IMO.

My question is...how the hell can Tonio ever beat a top Welterweight again? Mosley pretty much set the blueprint, all you'd have to do is watch the tape.

Also, haven't read the last few pages but how long has this cat been using bricks in his hands?
laugh.gif
It had to start after the Williams fight...I mean, come on...he knocked outJohnson, Cintron, and stopped Cotto.

Can't wait for the rematch...if it still goes down at this point.

Back
Top Bottom