09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

laugh.gif
Paul be big talkin
roll.gif

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

The solution to Paul Williams' problem: Fight in three weight classes
"I'm just going to chase all the weight classes and make guys a little mad that I can win at 160, at 154, and at 147," he said. "If I could get the belts in all those weight classes, I would. I'm trying to make guys fight, but they won't fight. I'm to the point that I'm not going to be waiting around on this guy anymore. Everybody wants to see the rematch with Margarito. But he's not going to fight. They say he's the best and all that, but true boxing fans know that if you're the best, you'll fight the best. I lost a fight to Quintana, okay? But I came back and avenged his loss in good fashion. Why doesn't Margarito want to come back and avenge his loss?"

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid823433113/bctid6714639001

pimp.gif

true boxing fans know that if you're the best, you'll fight the best. I lost a fight to Quintana, okay? But I came back and avenged his loss in good fashion. Why doesn't Margarito want to come back and avenge his loss?"
As much as I don't like Paul/love Margarito this is the !%#%%!% truth...bad part is I don't see think Paul should move back down and Idon't see Tonio ever moving up.

Vitali Klitschko will defend his slice of the heavyweight title against mandatory challenger Juan Carlos Gomez after the sides came an agreement Thursday and avoided Friday's scheduled purse bid.

Shelly Finkel, Klitschko's adviser, and Gomez promoter Ahmet Öner of Arena-Box Promotions had been discussing a deal for months but, as often happens in boxing, they waited until just before the purse bid -- an auction where any WBC-registered promoter could have gained control of the fight with the highest bid.

"We're glad we were able to get it together," Finkel said. "Ahmet negotiated as a gentleman and we were able to get it done."

Under the terms of the agreement, the bout will be held on a date to be determined in March, most likely in Germany, where Klitschko, of Ukraine, and Gomez, of Cuba, are both based.

Gomez (44-1, 35 KOs), 35, a former cruiserweight titleholder before vacating after 10 defenses to move up in weight in 2002, won two elimination fights to earn the mandatory shot at the title. He beat former champion Oliver McCall via unanimous decision in October 2007 and followed with a unanimous decision against Vladimir Virchis on Sept. 27.

It won't be the first time Klitschko and Gomez will meet in the ring. When they were both promoted by Peter Kohl's Universum, they sparred together at the Universum gym. Supposedly, Klitschko knocked out Gomez, then a cruiserweight, in one of the sessions.

"I remember those times quite well because I have been a fighter myself at Universum at that time," Öner said. "I don't think Vitali ever knocked down Juan. But I can recall some sessions where Vitali went out with a bloody nose after getting a good spanking from Gomez. You should not forget that Juan was already world champion when the Klitschkos just kicked off their careers."

Gomez was not Klitschko's first choice of opponent. He had hoped to face former cruiserweight champ David Haye of England, who moved up to heavyweight and has been calling Klitschko out.

In mid-December, Haye said he had made a deal to fight Klitschko after a meeting in Germany, where they both had attended Wladimir Klitschko's title defense against Hasim Rahman.

However, had Vitali Klitschko finalized a deal with Haye, he would have been stripped by the WBC for failing to make his mandatory defense.

Haye may instead wind up instead facing Wladimir, Vitali's younger brother, this summer while Vitali faces Gomez instead.

"We know that Vitali tried all he can to get a voluntary [defense against Haye] first," Öner said. "But he has to stick to the rules and defend his belt against the No. 1 contender. & I truly believe that this will be a good fight. Recently, we have seen some boring heavyweight championships because there seem to be very few worthy challengers for the Klitschkos.
"It will definitely be a close and exciting fight. It is hard for me to make any predictions. But right now I got the impression that Vitali might underestimate Juan. And this might be our big chance because Juan will definitely not underestimate Vitali and be very well prepared for a true wa

I like Paul's ambition but this whole dipping up and down weight classes can't be good for him

I dunno, it sounds risky

ohwell.gif

As for the Margarito fight, Antonio has nothing to gain by taking that fight cause he'll lose

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
string

Heads up. Marquez/Pacman II is on HBO2 rite now. Nice segue to the Gamboa fight

Thanks for the heads up

Even though my bull lost this fight , it was a down right amazing fight

pimp.gif

The work Freddy has done with Manny and Manny's progession as is fighter is something alot of people don't really talk about.

Manny is nothing like he was say two years ago, all around better fighter

Yep Pac got his AA degree from Roach. We'll see if he can get better.
He gonna have to do a lot to beat the names on his list of potential opponents (including Hatton)

You can watch all of HBOs Best Of 2008 on the hbo.com boxing home page.

I think they're streaming them all for free.

This kid Lara is impressive...

Yet another prospect for the 154-pound division. The future is def bright...

indifferent.gif

BHop talkin bout he don't wanna fight Chad because he wants to uphold the future fighters
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@$@% outta here!

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

indifferent.gif

BHop talkin bout he don't wanna fight Chad because he wants to uphold the future fighters
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@$@% outta here!

I laughed at that too. Apparently Pavlik is an old, past his prime fighter with no future...
laugh.gif

Cant wait for Gamboa...
pimp.gif

He need to fight 30 more fights before he even think about heavyweight title
laugh.gif

eek.gif
My Son Gamboa still rockin the flat top
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Word.

That flat top is killing me.

i know they still pushing whips from the 50's in Cuba...but a high top fade though?

I dont think I have ever seen what we were about to see when Burnett was about to go down a good 10 seconds after the fight was stopped.

Yoo that was scary how he was woblin after.
That cornerman was right. That accumulation was bad. Solis punches just hard enough to do damage but not hard enough to KO dudes.

Back
Top Bottom