09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact this fight has lasted as long as it had

smh.gif

... Lemme add, He'll be in every fight cus he can really crack.

He coulda won this fight in 3 rounds if he threw 1/4 of those shots to the body
smh.gif
its like he's not getting better each fight out. Is it just me or do yall see improvement?

There's really not much he can improve on, imo. He has all-around skills.
He has power in both hands it seems. Throws good combinations and moves well around the ring.

I agree he should use his jab better and throw more body punches. He could come to the fight better prepared and more disciplined.

I just think he's stubborn. If I'm Gamboa's trainers I would just let him move around the ring with his hands up for 12rds instead of hitting thebag or what not. He has a real bad habit and its not easily correctable. It takes alot of discipline and reinforcement.

i feel like my heart is gonna explode whenever i see gamboa fight. he's got that tommy morrison effect, to him...so dangerous, but yet so vulnerable.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

There's really not much he can improve on, imo. He has all-around skills.
He has power in both hands it seems. Throws good combinations and moves well around the ring.

I agree he should use his jab better and throw more body punches. He could come to the fight better prepared and more disciplined.

I just think he's stubborn. If I'm Gamboa's trainers I would just let him move around the ring with his hands up for 12rds instead of hitting the bag or what not. He has a real bad habit and its not easily correctable. It takes alot of discipline and reinforcement.

gamboa really is stubborn, i agree. he has too much of an urge to put on a show, but eventually that will bite him in the buttox. but in the end, he went 10rounds, no problem.

now SOLIS is someone i'm more worried about. he lacks something, and i think we all know what that something is. 260 lbs? and it's not like he hasthat big a frame for that 6'1" height. his fundamentals are great, he has good defense and effective offense. he's not a devastating puncher,but his combos kill. he's got it in him to take out the majority of the hw titleholders out there, but will never make it to the top from what i'veseen. forget his small size, as his style is one that negates that advantage.

Truthfully I Like Lara on FNF he went to the body all the punches where crisp and hes a southpaw (I know Aguiar was a bum) lol Solis needs to just lose weightthats pretty much it but he is a good young fighter . Gamboa will be in fun fights for the rest of his Career . he drops his hand get dropped then gets up andwins . He needs to keep his hands up though a Big puncher cayches his it could get ugly . But he has incredible speed you never have to worry about him lettinghis hands go but IF HE WENT TO THE BODY !!!! fights like last night would have went 4rds tops .

Edit HBO has Offered up Juanma Lopez to Fight Gerry Penalosa in April because Gerry wants a more lucrative fight than fighting Eric Morel

Originally Posted by mextra45

Edit HBO has Offered up Juanma Lopez to Fight Gerry Penalosa in April because Gerry wants a more lucrative fight than fighting Eric Morel

Sign me up for that fight yesterday

pimp.gif

I know its an MMA vid but if anyone wants to see Freddie Roach's work so far with Arlovski -

RIP
World Boxing Foundation (WBF) featherweight champion Ludumo Galada was killed in a car accident on Sunday morning.

The news was confirmed by Galada's manager Siphatho Handi who revealed that the fighter died in car accident on Sunday morning.

Galada was returning home from a church service in Johannesburg when his car was involved in an accident in Aliwal North. Details of the accident were still sketchy. "We still can't believe it but I guess we have to leave with these things," a distraught Handi said.

At the time of his death, Galada was preparing for his title defence against former IBO champion Takalani Ndlovu in an eagerly anticipated clash at the Orient Theatre in East London on January 23.
Fight promoter Koko Godlo said he had not yet decided if the tournament would go ahead in light of the tragedy. The 26-year becomes the first fighter in the country to die while holding a world title.

Galada, unbeaten in 13 bouts, represented the country at the 2004 Athens Olympics where he was eliminated in the second round. He immediately turned professional and won the Baby Champs title in his second year as aprofessional.

He claimed the SA featherweight crown, beating Sidney Maluleke before winning the WBF title with an easy first round knockout victory over Kenyan David Kiilu in August last year. He defended the crown, knocking out Mexican Pedro Navarrete in two rounds in November and was set to vie for the second defence of the crown against Ndlovu.

Boxing SA director of operations Loyiso Mtya described Galada's death as a big blow for national boxing. "He was one of the talented fighters who we were still expecting great things from," he said. The date of the funeral has not been announced as yet. - Sapa

Campbell vacates WBA title!

WBO / IBF Lightweight Champion Nate Campbell has elected to vacate the WBA Lightweight Super Champion Title. Campbell, (32-5-1, 25 KOs) issued the following statement regarding his decision:
"I really wanted to try and unify the lightweight titles, but looking at reality, it just isn't going to happen, at least not in 09. Not that I'm looking past my Feb. 14th IBF mandatory with Ali Funeka, because I'm not. Funeka deserves, and unfortunately for him, he will get my full and undivided attention. But there just isnt any way I see that I would be able to do my WBA mandatory defense against Paulus Moses, or whoever has the regular title then. After Feb. 14, I really hope to fight the Juan Manuel Marquez - Juan Diaz winner next, and then right after that I have a WBO mandatory due with Barerra. So there's no way I can fullfill my mandatory obligation to the WBA. So rather than pay sanction fees on it for the next few fights, knowing full well I wont be able to defend it without giving up my WBO belt, (which I won't do), I decided to just go ahead and vacate the WBA title now. I still have the desire to someday unify all the belts, but I also have to balance that desire against the reality of the sport these days. There just arent enough opportunities to fight in order to maintain all the titles. Besides, if I do get the Marquez-Diaz winner next, then any and all debate about who the "real" lightweight champ is will be over once and for all. And after that, if my choice of mandatories is between Barerra or Moses, well no disrespect to Moses, but thats really a no-brainer. I do appreciate the WBA having recognized me as their Super Champion, and this decision in no way is a reflection on their organization."

Actually not a bad move by Nate once he broke it down...I read the title I was ready to say he's an idiot but his explanation swayed me. JMM wins thenJMM/Nate in June would be $#+%+%% golden.

It was the smart move by Nate the WBA has a way of placing super unknown guys at mandatory spots guys that never beat a top 10 guy ever . Go for the money andthe Big names JMM/Nate is a good fight

Note: Results through Jan. 13.
[table][tr][td]1[/td] [td]
box_ap_pacquiao_65.jpg

Manny Pacquiao

Lightweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: The 2008 ESPN.com Fighter of the Year could be in line for a second straight award if his 2009 schedule works out the way it could, which means two mega fights. The first will be May 2 against junior welterweight champion Ricky Hatton, assuming the final details are worked out. And if Pacquiao wins that bout, the drum beat will grow very, very loud for Floyd Mayweather Jr. to exit retirement and face Pacquiao. If those two fights happen, that's a big, big year for Pacquiao and all boxing fans. And if Pacquiao wins both bouts, mark him down for a second consecutive fighter of the year award. Misses: He hasn't figured out a solution to the world's economic problems nor does he have an answer for global warming. But give him time.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2[/td] [td]
box_g_calzaghe_65.jpg

Joe Calzaghe

Light heavyweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: If the dominant two-division champion follows through on his talk of retirement, he will go out having completed a tremendous late-career run in that included wins against prime, younger titleholders (Mikkel Kessler and Jeff Lacy) as well as older legends (Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones). And if Calzaghe elects to fight on, there are still some notable opponents out there that should be able to motivate him, such as Chad Dawson or even Hopkins in a rematch of their close fight. Misses: It's a shame that Calzaghe has professed no interest in fighting Hopkins again, even though Hopkins said he would be willing to go to Wales for the bout. It's just as much of a shame that Calzaghe has shown similar disinterest in facing Dawson, who is clearly the best of the younger stars in the division.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]3[/td] [td]
box_g_hokins3_65.jpg

Bernard Hopkins

Light heavyweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: He just keeps on ticking. Even though Hopkins turns 44 on Jan. 15, he's apparently not done just yet. The former middleweight and light heavyweight champion said he believes he has a couple of fights left in him, and it would be hard to ever count him out, especially after his 2008, in which he manhandled Kelly Pavlik and lost a tight split decision to Calzaghe. Misses: Even if Hopkins wants to keep fighting, who is there for him to fight? His options appear pretty limited in terms of a really big fight because Calzaghe doesn't want to fight him again. Hopkins will have to rely on his mouth to drum up interest in whatever fight he and his team decide to target.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]4[/td] [td]
box_marquez_65.jpg

Juan Manuel Marquez

Lightweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: Unable to secure a third bout with Pacquiao, Marquez is moving on with his career and taking perhaps the toughest fight he can make, a bout with former unified titleholder Juan Diaz. And Marquez isn't just going to fight him anywhere. Marquez is going to the lion's den: Diaz's hometown of Houston. Have to give Marquez credit for his willingness to go there for the bout. Misses: Might as well get this out of the way ahead of time. If Diaz wins a decision against Marquez, you can bank on Marquez and his team complaining about a hometown decision.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]5[/td] [td]
box_g_margarito_65.jpg

Antonio Margarito

Welterweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hits: After knocking off Miguel Cotto in one of the best fights of 2008, Margarito will open 2009 with one of the best matches that can be made in the sport, in a bout against Shane Mosley. What a great way to kick off the new year. And how about this -- the fight is on HBO, not pay-per-view. Misses: As excellent as the match between Margarito and Mosley is, you still have to scratch your head and wonder why Margarito and his handlers turned down a career-high payday of $4 million to face Paul Williams in a rematch.[/td] [/tr][/table]
As excellent as the match between Margarito and Mosley is, you still have to scratch your head and wonder why Margarito and his handlers turned down a career-high payday of $4 million to face Paul Williams in a rematch.
Shut up
laugh.gif

If anyone is an insider would you mind posting 6-20?

laugh.gif
gunna with the pharrell ad-lib in the title

anyways..berto interview talks about his fight w/ collazo, beef w/ zab, and potential fights at 147

edit:
the $++* is real
pimp.gif

Cotto vs Pacman would be a good fight. Thats gonna be really tough for Manny though. JMM hurt Manny with a left hook during their last fight. Cotto canbreak Manny down there.

anyway, here's some Hatton/Pac news

[h1]Ricky Hatton threatens Manny Pacquiao with legal action[/h1] [h2]Ricky Hatton's legal counsel has warned legal action could be taken against Manny Pacquiao if the Filipino fighter's lawyers back out of a verbal contract for a 50/50 split from the spoils of their proposed superfight in Las Vegas in May.[/h2]

By Gareth A Davies
Last Updated: 6:19PM GMT 13 Jan 2009

manny-pacquaio_1238295c.jpg

Wrangling: Ricky Hatton and Manny Pacquiao are due to fight in Las Vegas but lawyers are still discussing how to split the purse Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Gareth Williams, Hatton's lawyer, had responded through Telegraph Sport on Monday to reports that Pacquiao wanted a 60/40 financial split, insisting the fighters' promoters had agreed before 2008 had ended to share the proceeds - expected to gross £40 million with pay-per-view revenue - equally.

Williams added that "a verbal agreement" had been made by Pacquiao's American promoter Bob Arum. Williams maintained that Arum "had absolute authority" to negotiate on behalf of the Filipino fighter.

Williams said: "We had all this before Christmas when they were talking about different figures and we agreed a 50/50 split with them. So having agreed that with them, we're not going to change our mind."

"As far as I'm concerned, no one has contacted me over a 60/40 split. It was simply put out on the internet. My own view is that if you want to alter a deal, you speak to the parties involved. You don't do it on the internet. It's up to him how he conducts his business but the simple fact is we've got a verbal agreement of 50/50 and that's as far as it goes."

Williams added: "As far as I'm concerned I've got a firm contract that the fight is taking place. As and when I'm officially told that the contract has been breached, then I will do something about it legally."

However, that looks highly unlikely with discussions already under way for a media tour of the UK and USA involving the two fighters. Hatton and Pacquiao are expected to travel together in London, Manchester, and across the United States once the fight is confirmed.

Williams also insists that Hatton's team have already made concessions by agreeing to the fight in The United States, and on the date requested by American cable giants Home Box Office. It is still up for discussion which British network will be broadcasting the contest.

Williams added: "We wanted the fight to be in the UK but we've conceded to pressure from both American promoters and the American TV company [HBO] that the fight should be outside of the UK. In an ideal world we'd rather fight later in May but again we've been told early May is the time to fight."

Pacquiao Deserves At Least 60 Percent Against Ricky Hatton
The Formula is Quite Simple…

John Chavez
1/12/2009

12_23_2008_marley2.jpg

I don't understand why people must make things so goddamn complicated when it comes to boxing negotiations. It's as if they must amplify the simplest and most minute details when it comes to virtually anything in order to mask the fact that the business is actually quite simple.

Here are the facts:

Manny Pacquiao has headlined 7 HBO Pay-Per-View bouts in the history of his career in which he's gone 6-1, with four by way of knockout.

Ricky Hatton has headlined only one in which he went 0-1 while getting knocked out himself.

Pacquiao's live gate following has been quite strong since his first bout with Juan Manuel Marquez which took place in 2004 on HBO. His fans consist of most Filipinos residing… all across the country and the world.

Hatton's live gate following has been on a roller coaster ride being that the "Hitman" contingent is asked to travel half-way around the world in order to see their hero perform.

"The Pacman" is coming off a devastating knockout victory over the biggest figure within boxing over the past decade in Oscar De la Hoya. It was an eye-opening experience that drew 1.25 million viewers which is astonishing considering the current state of the economy.

"The Hitman" is coming off an aesthetically displeasing bout with Paulie Malignaggi that drew miserable ratings on HBO's World Championship boxing.

It's clear who is the more exciting fighter to watch especially amongst the American public… without a doubt the southpaw beast from the far east.

Being that both men can generate solid dollars from the television rights of their native lands, I say that it'd be fair to let both of them keep all of the money spent by their own people. However, when it comes to the HBO Pay-Per-View part… that's a different story.

Pacquiao deserves the lion's share based on the points outlined above. It's irrelevant if 30,000 brits fly over to see the bout live. It has little bearing on the amount of Pay-Per-View buys that the bout will draw here in the states.

So there we have it… Hatton gets the UK, Pac gets the PI, and the domestic split is 63 percent in favor of Manny. It's as simple as that…

PS. Why don't the promoters try something crazy and actually let the boxing public buy the live gate? Sell the tickets for reasonable prices and let boxing fans who support the "sweet science" all year long attend the extravaganza. I know… what an absurd idea.

PPS. For those that state that Hatton could draw over 50,000 spectators in Manchester... Put Pacquiao in AT&T Park in San Francisco and he could easily match that figure without a doubt.

Penalosa JuanMa on?

[h2]Peñalosa accepts JuanMa's offer[/h2]
abs-cbnNEWS.com | 01/13/2009 1:05 PM

Printer-friendly version | Send to friend

Filipino world champion Gerry Peñalosa has accepted the offer from the camp of super bantamweight king Juan Manuel Lopez for a fight in Puerto Rico.

"They say I'm old and my days are numbered. Then we'll see with this fight with Lopez," Peñalosa told SportsNews.ph's Dennis Principe.

Peñalosa said the undefeated Lopez will prove his worth as boxing's "next big thing" by defending his WBO super bantamweight crown against him.

"If he really is the next big thing of the sport, then give him a tough test by fighting me. I'm more than willing to travel to Puerto Rico and fight him in front of his hometown," said Peñalosa, the reigning WBO bantamweight king.

Peñalosa said he was informed about the offer by his American handler Billy Keane.

Despite Lopez's advantages in height and age, Peñalosa remains confident about his chances against the undefeated Puerto Rican.

"I love challenges. If people get to watch all my losses it was because all those who beat me never really fought me. All they did was run," said Peñalosa.

The 25-year-old Lopez stands 5'7" while the 36-year-old Peñalosa stands 5'4".

"Against Lopez, I know he is a tough fighter and fights toe-to-toe but I guess he is still young. At this stage of our careers, I'm capable of beating him," he said.

The Filipino boxer had long been targeting Lopez but could not arrange a match with the Puerto Rican because of money issues.

This time, he has set aside the money issues to prove his real worth inside the ring.

Penalosa said the ball is now in Lopez's court to finally ink the deal.

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom