pimp.gif
Though it kinda pains me to see the Gatti and Corrales beatingsnow
frown.gif

BERISTAIN WORRIED ABOUT MARQUEZ'S LACK OF SPEED

By Hesiquio Balderas
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 25 Aug 2009

beristain.01.150x150.jpg

In a recent interview with the Mexican media, legendary trainer Nacho Beristain said that Juan Manuel Marquez is not 100 percent ready for his upcoming fight with five division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. Beristain says Marquez is too slow at the higher weight and that he is not happy because the work they have been doing is not working.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
"Juan Manuel is very strong, he looks like a natural welterweight, but it worries me a lot that we can't get to the speed level that we are looking for us to be at ease, we can't compete with a fighter of the quality of Floyd Mayweather with that fu***** lack of speed. The sparring partners are not a problem, it is the work we did to increase the muscle. He is tense and as I said he is very strong and buffed, but he has no speed at this point and that is because the weight lifting he did was excessive. Is like a soccer player after working with weights they are strong but they lack the speed and the rhythm to compete. That is the way Juan Manuel is right now I am desperate at this point. But there is still time to get him speed but the problem is that the weight lifting is giving us a hard time." said Nacho who know Juan Manuel extremely well.

If that is true, then Marquez has slim chances to upset "Money" Mayweather and search for the third Manny Pacquiao clash, as we all know Marquez has gone up to lightweight and now to welterweight to chase Pacquiao and make a trilogy of theri epic battles.
Don't know how credible this article is since it is from Philboxing. I was never a fan of lifting weights while training for a fight.

Originally Posted by Proshares

They officially changed Bradley's KO to a no contest.

That's great news...at least for me since I'm a Campbell fan. Nice to see justice served in boxing (for once).

This has the potential to be pretty damn cool:

NEW YORK -- Boxing is coming back to the big screen.

Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s eagerly anticipated showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19 will be showcased live in about 170 theaters nationwide, promoters announced Monday. The fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas will also air on HBO pay-per-view.

Richard Shaefer of Golden Boy Promotions said he'd been considering theater feeds for several years, ever since a trip to the movies with his kids. Unaware that live boxing has a long history on the big screen, Shaefer's children asked him whether it was possible today.

"I always try to see ways we can expand the message in the sport of boxing and increase the distribution," Shaefer said during a conference call.

"Actually," he added, "my kids said, 'Wouldn't it be great?'"

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs), considered one of the sport's pound-for-pound kings, will be fighting for the first time since ending a brief retirement. The flamboyant six-time world champion will be taking on a five-time champion in Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs), headlining a stacked card that includes two other title fights.

All of the televised undercard fights will also be shown in theaters.

The decision is part of a comprehensive marketing thrust that includes 30-second previews, much like film trailers, shown on about 1,500 screens before the start of movies for the next several weeks. Tickets for the actual fight are expected to be about $15.

"We're truly excited to be once again working on a great promotional team with Golden Boy, and this is truly going to be a record-breaking event," said Leonard Ellerbe of Mayweather Promotions. "Richard has this great mindset where he thinks so big."

The first fight to be publicly shown in theaters was Eric Boon against Arthur Danaher on Feb. 23, 1939, in London. The format gained popularity in the 1950s, after Joe Louis defeated Lee Savold in a fight beamed to thousands from Madison Square Garden, and a young Muhammad Ali earned a tremendous following around the country during the 1960s.

His epic fight against Joe Frazier in March 1971 at the Garden was seen worldwide.

The rise of pay-per-view coincided with the demise of boxing on the big screen, as fans began to watch high-profile fights from the comfort of home. Among the last fights widely shown in theaters was Ray Leonard's infamous "no mas" victory over Roberto Duran in November 1980.

"I really think the younger audience, the fans that go to a theater on Saturday night, they don't want to stay at home," Shaefer said. "I think this is going to open up the sport of boxing to a new and younger audience."

Dan Diamond, vice president of NCM Fathom, the company that is helping bring the fight to the theaters, said he wasn't sure what to expect in terms of attendance. He did say that if the event is a success, there could be additional megafights shown in theaters.

"We are clearly expecting this to be tremendously successful," Diamond said. "Certainly other promoters are welcome to contact us, but at this time our main focus is to make sure this fight is as successful as it can be."

HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg believes that the promotion -- particularly the 30-second previews during what is traditionally a heavy moviegoing season -- will outweigh any potential loss in pay-per-view sales.

He also thinks the majority of fans will still choose to watch the fight at home.

"There's a limited audience that wants that communal feeling for an old-fashioned, closed-circuit broadcast," Greenburg told The Associated Press.

"I think the marketing effort in those theaters for the next eight weeks, six weeks, will definitely add significant awareness, and that's really important."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

Floyd
pimp.gif
Though it kinda pains me to see the Gatti and Corrales beatings now
frown.gif

BERISTAIN WORRIED ABOUT MARQUEZ'S LACK OF SPEED

By Hesiquio Balderas
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 25 Aug 2009

beristain.01.150x150.jpg

In a recent interview with the Mexican media, legendary trainer Nacho Beristain said that Juan Manuel Marquez is not 100 percent ready for his upcoming fight with five division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. Beristain says Marquez is too slow at the higher weight and that he is not happy because the work they have been doing is not working.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
"Juan Manuel is very strong, he looks like a natural welterweight, but it worries me a lot that we can't get to the speed level that we are looking for us to be at ease, we can't compete with a fighter of the quality of Floyd Mayweather with that fu***** lack of speed. The sparring partners are not a problem, it is the work we did to increase the muscle. He is tense and as I said he is very strong and buffed, but he has no speed at this point and that is because the weight lifting he did was excessive. Is like a soccer player after working with weights they are strong but they lack the speed and the rhythm to compete. That is the way Juan Manuel is right now I am desperate at this point. But there is still time to get him speed but the problem is that the weight lifting is giving us a hard time." said Nacho who know Juan Manuel extremely well.

If that is true, then Marquez has slim chances to upset "Money" Mayweather and search for the third Manny Pacquiao clash, as we all know Marquez has gone up to lightweight and now to welterweight to chase Pacquiao and make a trilogy of theri epic battles.
Don't know how credible this article is since it is from Philboxing. I was never a fan of lifting weights while training for a fight.

Ayo GUNNA!!! I know you would know. How trustworthy is this website that provides me with such heart breaking news?????????? This website just shot my planedown.
frown.gif

TCERDA

I wouldn't take news from Philboxing (or alot of blog type boxing sites out there) too seriously. Although there was a picture of JMM recently where helooked like he had significantly bulked up.

Well - The Campbell-Bradley decision has been overturned it is be changed to a no contest , I guess a rematch is on the way .

Boxing at the movies sounds cool big HD screen if it was IMax that +!! would be crazy

^^^I read somewhere that Timmy is going to fight Anthony Peterson in December.

I'd like to see Campbell vs. Mallanaggi. Both fighters are basically in the same position; both are looking for a big win against big name.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

TCERDA

I wouldn't take news from Philboxing (or alot of blog type boxing sites out there) too seriously. Although there was a picture of JMM recently where he looked like he had significantly bulked up.

Thanks Eagle On!!!

While he isn't a suspect right now, things may change in the future with the way the investigation is playing out. Quincey Williams, 24, the target of a Monday night shooting outside of the Las Vegas Boulder Highway roller rink, has alleged that Floyd Mayweather Jr. threatened his life less than an hour before shots were fired in the parking lot.

According to the Las Vegas Review Journal, Williams encountered Mayweather at the Crystal Palace Skating Center on Sunday night. Mayweather immediately confronted him over a text message that was sent two months ago. In the text message, Williams told Mayweather that he hoped he would lose.

Williams claims Mayweather told during the confrontation - "He's got enough money to get me hit." Williams said Mayweather was at the rink with two bodyguards. When Williams left with a friend about 30 to 45 minutes after the confrontation, several shots were fired at their car. The shots came from the direction of Mayweather and his bodyguards, who were also in the parking lot. Williams did not see the shooter and nobody was injured.

Las Vegas police spokesman Bill Cassell confirmed to the paper that Mayweather has been cooperative in their investigation and currently he is not a suspect in the shooting. Police are looking for a "known associate" of Mayweather Promotions, who goes under the nickname of "O.C."

Williams blasted police for not arresting Mayweather.

"I don't understand why they went to his house and didn't arrest him," Williams said. "Floyd knows who he is. He works for Floyd."

smh.gif
Son is definitely lookin to extort some money....

Who the hell is gonna be dumb enough to set up a hit over a text saying that he hopes he loses? Then use your own car for the hit?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yea %**%*+ rite...

[h1]Marquez: Mayweather will be harder than Pacquiao[/h1]Posted Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:47pm
By Doug Fischer

Juan Manuel Marquez's September 19 welterweight challenge to former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. is not only the biggest event of his 15-yearcareer, the three-division champ from Mexico believes it will be his most difficult fight.

During an international conference call with sports media on Tuesday, Marquez (50-4-1, 37 knockouts) said Mayweather's elusive style and greater size poseinherent problems for a natural featherweight, but it's the former welterweight champ's speed that concerns him and his trainer Nacho Beristain themost.

"It's going to be a very difficult fight," Marquez said. "[Mayweather is] coming with a lot of speed and that is always difficult to dealwith."

Marquez should know. He's gone 24 rounds with Manny Pacquiao, the current pound-for-pound king and arguably the fastest fighter of this decade.

"We will have to counter [the speed] using the strategy I've used in all my fights, timing and counter punching," said Marquez, who celebratedhis 36th birthday on Sunday.

Marquez's "usual" strategy enabled him to hold Pacuqiao to a draw in their first encounter and then give the current 140-pound champ fits intheir rematch, which he lost by disputed split decision.

However, Marquez points out that Pacquiao has an aggressive style that presented counter-punching opportunities for him to take advantage of in those twobouts, which took place at featherweight and 130 pounds. Mayweather will probably not take as many risks as Pacquiao did.

"Mayweather will be more difficult for me than Pacquiao," he said. "He's a counter puncher who is very fast and he's also a defensiveboxer."

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) is a defensive master who also happens to be a lot bigger than Marquez, who didn't step up to the junior lightweight divisionuntil 2007.

That same year, Mayweather, an amateur featherweight who turned pro at junior lightweight, beat Oscar De La Hoya for a 154-pound title and then defended thewelterweight title against Ricky Hatton.

Marquez entered the lightweight division last year, winning the world title from Joel Casamayor in September of 2008. Much of his camp for Mayweather has beendevoted to adding muscle to his featherweight frame.

There are rumors that Marquez, who was probably pushing his limits by carrying 135 pounds, has put on too muchmuscle for this fight and has jeopardized his speed and reflexes.

Not true, Beristain said during Tuesday's conference call.

"That's always a concern when you're bulking up in weight, losing a little bit of speed," the hall-of-fametrainer said. "But no. On the contrary, I'm very happy to say at this point in training he's acquiring more speed than in pastfights."

Beristain added that Marquez has been sparring with fast and defensive-minded boxers to help prepare him for Mayweather's tricky style. At this stage inMarquez's camp he is sparring with smaller fighters and working out with smaller, lighter gloves in order to develop more speed.

Fans will find out in three and a half weeks if Marquez's gym work pays off, and if Mayweather does indeed turn out to be the toughest fight of theMexican's career.

Originally Posted by yungmatt

smh.gif
Son is definitely lookin to extort some money....

Who the hell is gonna be dumb enough to set up a hit over a text saying that he hopes he loses? Then use your own car for the hit?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yea %**%*+ rite...

Quincey "Civil Suit" Williams

No question at what he is trying to do though. If true, Floyd must have been on some:

6e916746d80eec46e5ecebf873feeeafbf484277.pjpg

"I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE PLAYING WITH MY PHONE!"

Muhammad-Ali-Ricky-Hatton-2009_2352682.jpg
Ali and Hatton embrace.​
HATTON MOVED BY MEETING ALI
E-mail Article Print-Friendly Subscribe to RSS Feed
[img]http://www.sportinglife.com/images/delicious.gif[/img] Post to del.icio.us Facebook

By Phil Medlicott, Press Association Sport
Click here to bet on boxing with Sky Bet!
Click here for more boxing news
Ricky Hatton fought back tears after welcoming Muhammad Ali to his gym in Manchester.

Hundreds of boxing fans gathered outside the Hatton Health and Fitness complex in Hyde to catch a glimpse of Ali, who stopped by as part of his brief tour of the UK.

The 67-year-old former three-time world champion looked frail as he emerged from a car to shake hands with Hatton, meet his family and pose for photographs.

And after showing Ali around the gym and exchanging gifts, Hatton said he had been humbled by the experience.

"It was very emotional," said Hatton. "We had a picture taken with Campbell, and he (Ali) was told this is Ricky's son.

"He raised his hand and hugged him and was trying to say something. It really brought a lump to my throat, my eyes were welling up at one point."

Ali, who suffers from Parkinson's Disease, has rarely been seen walking unaided in recent times but was determined to greet Hatton standing.

"I think he was going to come in a wheelchair initially but then he said 'I can't have Ricky Hatton meet me in a wheelchair, I've got to walk in'," said Hatton, himself a former multiple world champion.

"That's a boxer through and through, the boxer's mentality and a champion's mentality.

"It's just sensational. I've been very fortunate to meet some of boxing's greatest stars but I've never had the chance to meet the greatest of all.

"He's not just one of the greatest boxers of all time, he's one of the greatest men of all time. He's made the entertainment side of boxing what it is today.

"Bearing in mind how poorly he is, for him still to come to the gym, raise his hands to the fans and have a picture, that's why he's the greatest."

Ali, who was joined by his wife Lonnie, is in the UK making appearances at a series of dinners to raise money for his charities, including the Muhammad Ali Centre in his home town of Louisville, Kentucky.

Hatton, meanwhile, has been focusing on his work as a promoter since his second-round knockout against Manny Pacquiao in May and said he has yet to reach a decision about his future.

He said: "I've been very busy with the gym opening and the promoting - I've got some great fighters coming up - and I've had a couple of holidays.

"I've had a lot of fights and sometimes when you've been in this game as long as I have, running in the morning, training in the afternoon, dieting, I've reached the stage that I've had enough now, I want a bit of a rest.

"Once I've sat back and recharged the batteries, my feet might start itching again. That's where it will come from. But after that heartbreaking defeat, all I'm doing is sitting back."

Oscar De La Hoya says in his weekly blog that Juan Manuel Marquez will shock a lot of people when he fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Sept. 19 in Las Vegas on pay-per-view television. Here's why:

Everything is in Juan Manuel Marquez's favor now. Floyd Mayweather has a lot of distractions, he's been away from the sport for two years and he has a rib injury. I strongly feel everything is falling into place. This is the right time for Marquez to beat him.

And even if Mayweather didn't have these problems, I feel Marquez's style is well-suited for Mayweather. Mayweather is going to want to prove not only to himself but to all the fans that he can put on a good show, which means he is going to have to stand in front of Marquez. That will work in Marquez's favor.

Marquez is not a slow fighter at all; he's faster than people think. He showed that twice against Manny Pacquiao, who is very fast. And Mayweather doesn't throw punches in bunches like Pacquiao. He throws one, two punches and that's it. That will allow Marquez time to think and find openings. It won't be like Pacquiao, who throws punches from everywhere the whole fight.

Another question is Mayweather's age. Once you hit 30, things start to change. It will be very interesting to see how that affects Mayweather, especially because he's been away for two years. Marquez (36) has already experienced that and has been able to adapt to changes in his body and mind after 30.

I also feel Marquez won't respect Mayweather's power at all because he's been in there with hard punchers. I'll tell you one thing: Mayweather does not hit hard. The only thing Marquez has to worry about is Mayweather dancing around all night long, sticking that jab in his face. That's it.

Again, I don't think Mayweather will do that, though. I just don't think he'll want to run from a smaller guy. If Mayweather thinks he's the best fighter pound for pound -- and he does -- he'll have to stand toe to toe with the smaller guy. He'll be pressured to do that because that's what the crowd at the MGM Grand will want.

Mayweather has this big ego. I'm sure he's thinking, "I can take care of a guy as small as Marquez with no problem."

I think the delay of the fight [from July 18 to Sept. 19 because of Mayweather's rib injury] is a blessing in disguise. It gave Marquez more time to get stronger, to bulk up and get his speed back. You start out using heavy gloves and then use smaller and lighter gloves to get faster as your body adapts to it.

Marquez has a tremendous jab and will to win. If Marquez does for 12 rounds what I did [against Mayweather] for seven rounds, he can win the fight easily. It doesn't take all the power in the world; it just takes planning your shots right. It takes smarts. And that's what Marquez has. He's one of the smartest fighters on the planet.

As long as you use your jab against Mayweather he's lost. He doesn't know how to block a jab. And if you feint him, it stops him in his tracks. You don't want to allow Mayweather time to think; that's when he can be dangerous. You have to jab, to feint. That's the key.

Mayweather's layoff also will be a factor. Two years is a very long time to be away from boxing. I'm sure he went to the gym here and there but actually being in a competitive fight up in the ring, with eight-ounce gloves, is a whole different thing. I'm sure he'll have some rust the night of the fight.

I can see the first round being a feeling-out round. Mayweather will realize right away that his weight advantage is not a big deal at all the way he thought it would be. I feel things will start to heat up in the second round, when Mayweather will start hearing boos from all those fans who come in for Mexican Independence weekend, all the rowdy Marquez fans.

Then Mayweather will want to prove that he can stand in front of a smaller guy with no problem. That's when things will start to unfold in Marquez's favor. Mayweather is not invincible. I truly feel Marquez will expose him.

[h6]ace (san bernardino)[/h6]
how much older does mosley have to get before you fight him???will you ever take on Paul Williams???
[h6]Floyd Mayweather[/h6]
[h6](5:19 PM)[/h6]

Ace, Ace, obviously you haven't been keeping up with your boy Shane Mosley. He had his opportunity in Nov. '06 to fight me for twice as much money he's ever made in his career. He chose to take a family vacation and have some dental work done. Shane Mosley is calling my name out just like the rest of these fighters because what I represent is the biggest payday for any fighter out there. I'm not mad at them for doing that. That's what they're supposed to do. Shane Mosley knows what time of day it is. He had the chance to fight me and he turned it down. WHo knows what the future holds, but he's just looking to make some money. He knows he can't beat me.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/28052/boxer-floyd-mayweather

I can't wait for September 19th.

JMM has a legit chance of beating Floyd if he stays behind that textbook shotgun jab of his and bangs on Floyd's ribcage at close quarters. Both of whichhe is extremely capable of.

If Floyd wins, he has to jump up a notch on the H.O.F. ranking.

Either way, that Mega fight at the beginning of next year is going to decide who is the best boxer in the sport.

Back
Top Bottom