1/29: Cleveland Cavs vs Orlando Magic POST vol. ill be there near courtside

im excited about this one, not just ill be there but this a clash of the titans match

King James vs Superman

GO MAGIC!!!

btw lets beat the pacers first tonight

Should be a great game

Z is back
pimp.gif

Found this article in the new ESPN the Magazine

Behind The Story: Stray Cav?
LeBron talks frankly about "...the years to come."
by Chris Broussard

One of the most surprising things about reporting on how Cavaliers fans are handling all the hoopla about LeBron James' possible departure in 2010 was the number of LeBron detractors I found at Today's Cut & Style, a barber shop in the eastern suburb of Cleveland Heights. Don Crump, one of the main subjects of the story, all but begged me not to write what some of the more negative patrons had to say about LeBron, for fear that the comments would motivate The King to take his act to New York. I told Don, "No deal, I'm reporting what I see.''

I also reported what LeBron is seeing.

But back at the shop, while most of the folks in the shop thought LeBron was the league's best player, there were a few who were almost illogical in their criticism of him. A lot of the negativity stemmed from LeBron's wearing of the New York Yankees cap to an Indians-Yankees playoff game in Cleveland, as well as his dalliance on the Dallas Cowboys sidelines during a game against the Browns at Cleveland Browns Stadium this season. I was stunned by how seriously Cleveland's fans took those actions.

Shawn Bailey, one of the barbers, summed it up: "I think the problems LeBron has in Cleveland are based on Cleveland's loyalty. We have the strongest football following of losers you can get. The bottom line is that we lose all the time, but our stadium is packed. The energy in Cleveland is strong for the Browns every year because we think, 'Maybe we're going to do it this year.' Every year we say that. So when LeBron wears a Yankees hat to an Indians game or stands on the sidelines with the Dallas Cowboys, it's like 'Where's your loyalty at?' This is a loyal city. You want us to get behind you and not give you any discredit, then get behind us.''

"I'm happy here and I look forward to getting better this year and in the years to come."

I was able to speak to LeBron about this and he said people are making way too much out of what are really innocent actions. The folks at his alma mater, Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, will tell you that LeBron entered the school as a ninth grader wearing a Yankees cap and rooting for the Cowboys. He said his love for those teams is not at all indicative of a dislike for Cleveland.

"I'm a fan too,'' LeBron told me, before staying an extra hour after practice to shoot jump shots with Mo Williams and Daniel Gibson. "And if I'm a fan of these teams, the fans should respect that. I respect the fans that come to watch us. But you can't take the kid out of me. Ever since I was a kid, I loved the Cowboys and I loved the Yankees. This is my job, this is what I do and I respect that, but you can't take the kid out of me and tell me to stop liking the teams I grew up loving. That's like telling me I can't like Michael Jordan because he killed the Cavs a lot. That's my childhood. That's what I grew up doing.''

There really are several reasons for Cavs fans to be optimistic about LeBron staying in Cleveland. Besides the success of the team (compared to the struggles of the New York Knicks), there's the fact that LeBron truly enjoys being in his hometown. He still goes to about three or four SVSM high school football games a year and he also goes to Glenville High (alums Troy Smith, Donte Whitner and Ted Ginn) football games in Cleveland. He also visits SVSM regularly, in part because (with rules in place that forbid students from mobbing him for autographs and pictures) it's one of the few places he can go and just be a normal person.

One of LeBron's favorite "teachers'' at SVSM was 61-year-old librarian, Barb Wood. LeBron used to have long chats with her in the library when he was a student, and nowadays they text each other about three times a week. He makes sure to visit her at the school at least once a year. His most recent visit was after the Olympics, when he showed up unannounced right after school let out and had Barb call all the teachers down to the gymnasium to see his gold medal.

"LeBron's really a homebody,'' she says. "No matter how much he travels, he always comes back. That's why he surrounds himself with people he's known from the beginning. That's very important to him. He likes the comfort of being around people he's known for a long time.''

Some Clevelanders may not see it, but LeBron says he's as loyal as they are. In high school, Oak Hill Academy recruited him hard, but he wanted to stay with his friends and teammates at SVSM. He admitted that his decision in 2010 will have similarities to those days.

"I'm a loyal person,'' LeBron said. "I've always been loyal. I respect people who give me the opportunity. Right now, I think it is similar. But I'm more of a businessman now. You have to look at the business side of things. This is a business. So you look at all the options. I'm going to do what's best for my family, do what's best for my friends and do what's best for me at the end of the day.''

While he clearly enjoys the hoopla surrounding his upcoming free agency, LeBron says he's never given Cleveland fans a reason to think he'll leave.

"Ever since I've been asked about the Cavs, I never gave any indication that I was leaving or that I wasn't happy here,'' he said. "I think the franchise has definitely done a great job of giving me a team and putting me in position to win ballgames, so I'm happy here and I look forward to getting better this year and in the years to come.''

In the years to come? Sounds like good news for Cavs fans. Stay tuned.

Ugghhh

tired.gif

Cleveland Cavaliers center Ilgauskas doubtful for showdown with Orlando Magic

by Mary Schmitt Boyer / Plain Dealer reporter
Wednesday January 28, 2009, 2:39 PM

INDEPENDENCE -- The Cavaliers have listed Zydrunas Ilgauskas as doubtful for tomorrow night's game at Orlando, meaning there's only about a 25 percentchance he will play.

Ilgauskas, who has been out since Dec. 30 with a sprained left ankle, will travel with the team later today. Ilgauskas went though a full practice today, hissecond this week, but did not speak with reporters after practice.

* LeBron James will join the TNT broadcast team as a guest analyst for the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam at 9 p.m. Feb. 13 during All-Star Weekend inPhoenix. No Cavs rookies will take part in the game.

bron put up a nice triple double against us last year in a loss.

Im hoping the same happens tomorrow

infomagicmb9.jpg

coachesif9.jpg

mikebrownsy5.jpg

The Starters

cavsstarterscs6.jpg

The Bench Bunch

cavsbenchyo6.jpg

Magic Starters

magicstartersqz7.jpg

Magic Bench
[table][tr][td]Anthony Johnson[/td] [td]Mickael Pietrus[/td] [td]Keith Bogans[/td] [td]Tony Battie[/td] [td]Marcin Gortat[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Adonal Foyle[/td] [td]Mike Wilks[/td] [td]Brian Cook[/td] [td]JJ Redick[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
INJURIES

For the Cavs:
Delonte West
Eric Snow

For the Magic:
none
KEYS TO THE GAME

SHOWDOWN IN OTOWN: Mike Brown wasn't pleased with the win against Sacramento on Tuesday and for good reason. The Cavs usually stellardefense gave up a lot of points at home to a team that shoots well (but doesn't do much else well). That simply cannot be the case against the Magic.

This game probably carries the same significance as ones against Boston and LA. Orlando is an elite team that can shoot the lights out of the gym and has asuperstar inside in Dwight Howard. This is the team that -- matchup-wise -- can best stand toe to toe with the Cavs and probably gives the Cavs the mosttrouble. They have tall, assassin-accurate shooters in Rashard Lewis and Hedo, a quick guard that can get to the paint in Jameer Nelson and some nice wingsthat add to that punch in Pietrus and Cortney Lee.

Thursday night is going to have the electricity of a playoff game and the Cavs will be in hostile territory. This is a statement game for the Cavs.

BOTTLE THE MAGIC: The Magic are going to take about 25-30 3-point shots a game, so the Cavs defense needs to play solid perimeter D, whilealso taking into account Dwight Howard's presence inside, which without a 100% Z is a huge advantage in the Magic's favor. I think Mike Brown willfocus on Jameer Nelson and force him into double teams and bad decisions much like the way the Cavs played Rajon Rondo in the playoffs last year.

The Magic have to take tough contested shots tomorrow. The problem is that Rashard Lewis proves to be a matchup problem for the Cavs. He can take Ben out ofthe paint; if you put AV on him, you have a bad matchup with Ben and Dwight Howard. I'm intrigued to see what Mike Brown does. I assume he will have LeBrontake turns guarding Rashard and Hedo, as well as trotting out a quicker lineup with Kinsey, Wally and Sasha taking turns covering those two.

KRYPTONITE: During the West Coast trip LeBron began to fall in love with his jumper, which proved to be the difference in a lot of thosegames. However, James has to attack Dwight Howard and make him work on the defensive end. He cannot settle for jumpers. Beyond Howard, the Magic are thin upfront. If you can get a few fouls on Howard, especially early, you can limit his effectiveness. LeBron has to get to the line and take at least 10 free throwstomorrow.

ROLE PLAYING GAMES: The Cavs bench showed its depth in the last week and a half. Tarence Kinsey is showing lots of energy on the court. Sashahas been playing like 07-playoff run Sasha. Wally's been shooting well and grabbing boards (not to mention doling out high fives). Boobie showed that hecan score points in bunches when he scored nine quick ones in the 4th after playing ineffective basketball for four other quarters. JJ Hickson is reallystarting to come into his own. All of these guys need to step it up tomorrow. LeBron and Mo will have the troops ready, and getting Z back may be a nice boost.But these guys have to play Cavaliers basketball for 48 minutes tomorrow if the expect to come out of Orlando with the win.

i wouldnt want Z out there unless hes 100%. like they said in the PD, he was winded at practice going against DFerry. how is he gonna be able to take DHowardthen?? its gonna be a huge huge test but we can do it.

(we do have the best 1-2 combo in the game)

Originally Posted by belle155

i wouldnt want Z out there unless hes 100%. like they said in the PD, he was winded at practice going against DFerry. how is he gonna be able to take DHoward then?? its gonna be a huge huge test but we can do it.

Rumor is that they don't wanna play Z on the first game of a back to back.

I say play him tonight and rest him vs the Clips.

If he doesn't play tonight and then starts vs LA, I'm gunna be hot
mad.gif

i say we don't rush z back in, better to be safe in this situation, this should be a good test for us, lets get it

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

i wouldnt want Z out there unless hes 100%. like they said in the PD, he was winded at practice going against DFerry. how is he gonna be able to take DHoward then?? its gonna be a huge huge test but we can do it.

mad.gif

I say rest him til next week and not play him in either game. It's not a situation where we're desperate for wins, but maybe for bragging rights.

I do want a win to get Coach Brown in the ASG, and also stay ahead of the Magic in the chase for the top seed.

Playing Z can draw Dwight away from the hoop opening up driving lanes for Bron, Mo and Sasha.

I was going to go to this game but had some unplanned expenses pop up.

Magic had a shaky last few games.

Prediction: If Rashard scores 25+ points, Magic win.

(sigh) I'm torn on this game. Obviously pulling for the Cavs but we NEVER play well in Orlando, and that's at full health. If we don't let Lewisand Nelson look like All-Stars I think we'll be fine. Rebounding is going to be the key stat IMO.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

mad.gif

Cleveland's D needs to improve on the perimeter ( Kings got way too many open looks) and they can get the Magic( who are a perimeter team even with D.Howard) even without Z.... hold him out of the next 2 games....
glasses.gif

CAvs by 2 in a close one...
pimp.gif

i dont know where this hate for the cavs came from. do you all really hate the cavs or the fact that lebron ISNT on YOUR team?

if Z is 100% id agree and say play him tonight and rest him for the clips and we'd get both games. either way with or without him we can still win tonight.we just cant let them nail 3s all night. boston shut em down, so can we

Back
Top Bottom