10 Uncommon Superfoods from an Ultra Endurance Athlete - Vol. Next Level

Rich Roll, Couch Potato turned Vegan Ultra-Endurance Athlete: Two top finishes at the double Ironman-distance Ultraman World Championships; Completed 5 Ironman-distance triathlons on 5 separate Hawaiian Islands in less than a week, a feat no one had ever even attempted. ALL of this during his mid-40s!

before-after-rich-roll.jpg

The full article is here but the nitty gritty is below.

1.Natto:

Heart Health. A popular fermented soybean food prominent in the Japanese diet, natto is a must for anyone concerned about heart or circulatory disease. High in pyrazine and the enzyme nattokinase, blood thinners that can prevent thrombosis (blot clot formations) by essentially devouring arterial plaque, natto significantly reduces the risk of suffering a pulmonary embolism (arterial blockage) that could lead to a heart attack or stroke. Also high in vitamin K, it’s excellent in maintaining bone density. Warning: natto is a very acquired taste. In fact, it’s horrible, unless you’re a fan of strange exotic cheese. Prepare with turmeric and sea salt or alternatively sweeten with erythritol — a very low glycemic non-caloric sugar additive derived from glucose fermentation that retains 60-70% of the sweetness of table sugar. If it’s still unbearable, nattokinase is available in capsule form. I like Doctors Best (1-4 2,000 FU capsules / day).

2.Cordyceps (Sinensis) Extracts:

Stamina. Well-known for centuries in Chinese herbal medicine, Cordyceps sinensis is a parasitic dried fungus that grows on caterpillar larvae native to high-altitude regions of China, Nepal and Tibet. Gross, right? But awesome when it comes to health and athletic performance. Pharmacologically anti-oxidative, anti-inflammatory and anti-lipid (cholesterol lowering), studies indicate enhanced immune system functionality as well as improved stamina in endurance athletes via increased aerobic capacity and oxygen utilization as well as stabilized blood sugar metabolism. Chinese Olympic Track & Field athletes have been swearing by it for decades, and I can attest to their effectiveness. Another plus? Increased sex drive and functionality. The benefits of Cordyceps are enhanced when combined with the adaptogen rhodiola, as they are in Optygen and ShroomTech — both good recommended products.

3.Tumeric:

Anti-Oxidant / Anti-Inflammatory. A plant native to South India and Indonesia, if you like curry or mustard, you’re already familiar with this yellow food. What you might not know is that turmeric — due in large part to curcumin, tumeric’s primary active ingredient — is one of the most powerful anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories on the planet.

The majority of foods we eat, including low fat diets, promote arterial inflammation, which is a leading (and often underrated) cause of heart disease. In the fitness context, exercise-induced physiological stress causes inflammation, which impedes muscular repair. In a general sense, the more quickly the inflammation subsides, the more quickly one recovers from training. Foods like turmeric reduce inflammation, thus expediting recovery (and circulatory health). Extrapolated over time, an athlete on a nutritional regimen high in anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory foods such as turmeric (buttressed by a predominantly alkaline-forming diet) will in turn be able to train harder, more effectively and more efficiently in a given time period while simultaneously taking out an insurance policy against the primary culprits that foil even the most conscientious athletes — undue fatigue, overtraining and illness.

Furthermore, it’s worth noting that there is some evidence to suggest that people who eat diets rich in turmeric have lower rates of breast, prostate, lung, colon and skin cancers.

Curcumin can be taken in capsule form, but it is not the most bio-available substance in extract form. Personally, I prefer to drink turmeric in a tea – 1/2 spoonful dissolved in hot water does the trick.

4.Apricot Seeds & Sprouted Mung Beans:

Cancer Cell Inhibition. Both of these foods share one thing in common: high levels of laetrile (vitamin B17), which has been found effective in arresting tumor growth. But how does it kill cancer cells without killing healthy cells? Without getting too technical, there is some evidence to support that when laetrile comes into contact with an enzyme called beta-glucosidase (which is only found in cancer cells), the laetrile is broken down, releasing “manufactured

i've heard stories about fit people ganing weight to make $ on those before/after photos but is that even the same guy? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Only read the first part. This dude ran FIVE marathons in a week?? Holy %%$%

Not only did he run five full marathons, but he also rode a bike 112 miles five times, and did a 2.4 mile swim 5 times.  All in less than a week.  That's insane!

Originally Posted by Koudie From BroOklyn

i need to add everything in this list to my daily diet, except the last 250k tea lol

i'd be lying if i said i didn't google all those items and bookmarked the spots that sell them
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ Abe Lincoln + Rick Roll

But thanx for the thread. I needed something like this to plan out new dieting/supplementing/cooking. #bgz05

Where the F do you get these things? And how do you eat them? They all sound like some plants you need to find on some island.

have you ever eaten natto? i don't mind it fresh in sushi but it can be very hard to eat. it's super slimy with long, sticky threads and has a very foul smell. maybe i should eat it more often now.

im sayin

if ANYONE ran that much you can eat nothing but in n out double cheese burgers and still be fit

all that dam training and exercising did it, def wasnt the food that made dude look like that or lose that much weight
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by WaitWut

im sayin

if ANYONE ran that much you can eat nothing but in n out double cheese burgers and still be fit

all that dam training and exercising did it, def wasnt the food that made dude look like that or lose that much weight
laugh.gif
He wouldnt be able to do what he did if he only ate burgers.

Son looked healthier when he was built like Paul Pierce.

Hats off for the achievement though. I'm training for a sprint triathlon so i can just about fathom the work he put in
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Sleaze Jar Omens

elk/deer antler really boost test?

Deer shed their rack every year in winter and grow a new rack in spring. This happens right before mating season and the rackgets covered in velvet/moss. So it makes sense that the deer , having it's own boost in their own hormones, would have same effect on are own hormones when consuming it.

Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike

have you ever eaten natto? i don't mind it fresh in sushi but it can be very hard to eat. it's super slimy with long, sticky threads and has a very foul smell. maybe i should eat it more often now.
Natto1.png

11a.jpg

Originally Posted by WaitWut

im sayin

laugh.gif

Food intake is more than half of the battle when it comes to training. "you are what you eat" is completely accurate

Back
Top Bottom