*'11-'12 LAKERS Thread; 41-25* 1st Rd: DEN (go to 1st Rd. Thread)

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Just wanted to throw this out there: our last coach was a big name, accomplished a lot. Where was he at before the Lakers? Bulls, obviously, where he accomplished a lot. What did he accomplish as a coach before that? What would make the Bulls look at him and say "Yeah, everything he has accomplished on the sidelines. We need that guy"?

Another big name coach in our past: Pat Riley. What sort of an impressive coaching resume had he built that would make the almighty Lakers take a stab at him?

No, I'm absolutely not comparing freaking Mike Brown to Pat Riley or Phil Jackson, so don't even.
laugh.gif

Just saying, wait to see if it will work before being disappointed that we don't have freaking Sloan or Tomjanovich or whoever else.
Personally, I would've liked for us to at least make a proposal to Sloan and see if he can get him out of retirement. I bet if the money was right, who knows? Anyways, like I said Brown is our guy and obviously I want him to do well. Similar to my Niners and Alex Smith, I'll continue to be captious of Brown and hopefully he'll make me eat crow. 

Anybody know season ticket holders that might want to sell their tickets for the Rockets game next Tuesday. It's my bday, and would like to go
pimp.gif

Just wanted to throw this out there: our last coach was a big name, accomplished a lot. Where was he at before the Lakers? Bulls, obviously, where he accomplished a lot. What did he accomplish as a coach before that? What would make the Bulls look at him and say "Yeah, everything he has accomplished on the sidelines. We need that guy"?

Another big name coach in our past: Pat Riley. What sort of an impressive coaching resume had he built that would make the almighty Lakers take a stab at him?

No, I'm absolutely not comparing freaking Mike Brown to Pat Riley or Phil Jackson, so don't even.
laugh.gif

Just saying, wait to see if it will work before being disappointed that we don't have freaking Sloan or Tomjanovich or whoever else.
Red Holzman groomed him as a player to someday be a coach for whatever reason
Was successful in the CBA & Puerto Rico league.
Was assistant to Doug Collins for the Bulls for a few years.

Riley became the coach based off of luck
laugh.gif

Mike Brown is a very good NBA coach. Will he win rings? I honestly don't know. But he is one of the better Head Coaches in the league.

It'll be another tough one for us tonight. I expect the Knicks to come out steaming hot after losing to the Warriors last night. 

Thanks for the background on Phil Jackson, as I knew none of that except for being an assistant to Collins.

laugh.gif

I agree.  I like what I seen so far.  Through Phil the Lakers played no D and got away with it through the first 3-peat because of the skills of the players.  Once Fox, Horry, Shaw, Shaq left, and Fish/Kobe got older defensive schemes were needed.

We have effort guys and I believe in Mike Browns defensive system.  I also like him getting under Kobes skin about little things.  The age and being a vet has made Kobe lazy at times.  Brown calls him out which will annoy Kobe but make him go harder.  As he says, "Do your job."  I think as the players start to see the results and believe, they will get better. 

Thanks for the background on Phil Jackson, as I knew none of that except for being an assistant to Collins.
I think Holzman groomed him because he was a fan favorite hustle player and he spent some time on the bench due to injury. So Phil began asking questions about coaching schemes and the technique, and Holzman would start teaching him more and more..

He coached in my hometown for the Albany Patrons in CBA... And since no one ever seems to be successful when they have done anything in Albany, we cherish the few people who do.
roll.gif

Just got me and my daughter tix for New Years vs the Nuggets....Havent been to a game in a few years wonder if the pepsi center is still on that "no means no" chant, every dead ball and @%*@.

jbone2308 wrote:
I agree.  I like what I seen so far.  Through Phil the Lakers played no D and got away with it through the first 3-peat because of the skills of the players.  Once Fox, Horry, Shaw, Shaq left, and Fish/Kobe got older defensive schemes were needed.

Please tell me you didn't just say Phil's Lakers never played D. 
laugh.gif
 The year we won the chip in 2010, we were top 10 defensive team. The early 2000's we were a great defensive team. We were known for our defense. Phil's success have always been overshadowed by the triangle offense but realistically his defensive schemes personify his championship teams. But then again, you gave up your Laker fan card 3 years ago. 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by jbone2308

laugh.gif

We have effort guys and I believe in Mike Browns defensive system.  I also like him getting under Kobes skin about little things.  The age and being a vet has made Kobe lazy at times.  Brown calls him out which will annoy Kobe but make him go harder.  As he says, "Do your job."  I think as the players start to see the results and believe, they will get better. 

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Kobe fan aside, I actually think Kobe has been playing very good defense this season. His lateral movement looks good and that knee looks a lot better than it did last season.

I haven't seen Mike Brown call anyone out yet though, so not sure where that came from. All I saw was him kissing Pau.

You can't get mad at Pau though so I think Brown is doing a good job with him. If you yell at Pau, or push him like Phil Jackson did, he'll get even softer.

Originally Posted by goukiteg

laugh.gif

He's incognizant to what we actually do since he turned in his fan card. 

Originally Posted by caleekicks

Anybody know season ticket holders that might want to sell their tickets for the Rockets game next Tuesday. It's my bday, and would like to go
pimp.gif

Check ebay and stub hub. I got tickets for the Nuggets game and the prices weren't bad...

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

You're corny Bro, that was what, 3 years ago?.......let it go
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by thachosen123

laugh.gif

That's what he gets though, NT never forgets. Dude literally gave up in the 2nd round against the Rockets
laugh.gif
After we just sent them fishing!
roll.gif

If no Tyson on Knicks I'd be confident in us winning because we play defense and Knicks haven't played defense since 1998. But with Tyson Chandler and no Bynum he will have his way with Gasol

^ Hell no it ain't just you! We've all been around sports long enough to know you're definitely not the only one with that opinion!
Night Marcher01:
thachosen123:
westcoastsfinest:
laugh.gif

That's what he gets though
Agreed.

You can't give up on your team. Unacceptable.

I mean, you don't always have to be blind about your team; I hate when people say THAT crap. Like, Colts fans would look stupid as heck right now talking about "Yeah, your team don't want it with us."
laugh.gif
Nah, I'm not about that. To me, there's nothing wrong with being honest about your team… but you can't give up.

You simply can't ever say… and mean it… "I'm done with this team. Done being a fan, done cheering for them, all of it. I'm done." Fine; be done, then. That goes for 3 years from now, too.

Originally Posted by thachosen123

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 This guy. Pffft...what's it to you? Get outta here. It doesn't concern you at all. I'm sorry, but if someone decides to quit on our team during tough times in the playoffs and suddenly hop back on when we win the championship then this individual deserves to be ridiculed. Eh, maybe that's just me. 
wink.gif

^ Hell no it ain't just you! We've all been around sports long enough to know you're definitely not the only one with that opinion!
Night Marcher01:
thachosen123:
laugh.gif
That's what he gets though
Agreed.

You can't give up on your team. Unacceptable.

I mean, you don't always have to be blind about your team; I hate when people say THAT crap. Like, Colts fans would look stupid as heck right now talking about "Yeah, your team don't want it with us."
laugh.gif
Nah, I'm not about that. To me, there's nothing wrong with being honest about your team… but you can't give up.

You simply can't ever say… and mean it… "I'm done with this team. Done being a fan, done cheering for them, all of it. I'm done." Fine; be done, then. That goes for 3 years from now, too.
laugh.gif

I know it's not just me, Ska. I was just simply trying to make light of the situation. I've openly resented Mike Brown and Alex Smith but that doesn't warrant giving up bleeding Purple/Red and Gold. NEVER! 

Back
Top Bottom