'12 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFF-SEASON (NSD, spring practice, summer sessions)

Shane Morris photobomb.  He also won the Elite 11 invite at the Ohio event this weekend.
AsOCwkQCEAQYmfK.jpg

GUNNA and whomever else may be concerned..just bought my ticket to this:

UTK also allows for me to get 2 guest tickets for $35 each so if anybody wants a ticket for the low get at me..

IM TOOOOO PUMPED FOR THIS GAME..GO VOLS
pimp.gif

Atmosphere in ATL gon be toooo crazy, esp with AU and Clemson fans there too
eek.gif

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Deadrin Senat decommits from FSU...

Immokale, wassup!

Cane.

Na, I still expect him on signing day...just opening things back up since he's gaining more attention....Miami is still a dumpster fire, and things will only get worse once the sanctions come

Originally Posted by dreClark

Latest round of expansion gonna bring FSU and clemson to the BigXII ?

I hope so.  I wouldn't mind taking trips down there to see us get beat. 

Everything that's being said is that Isaac had a very positive visit, all the cliche answers of course...
The only thing going is that he is going to make his decision when he gets home he will be on a "USC High".

Dunno but we're on Cooke, Yearby and Michel heavy. Cooke got better long speed then all of them. 2014 RB class (esp When Michel returns back to form) is 
sick.gif

[h1]Should college football be banned?[/h1]

Originally Published: May 9, 2012
By Ted Miller | ESPN.com

A bunch of New Yorkers got together Tuesday night and decided to ban college football. Sorry about that. You'll just have to find another passion. Perhaps croquet?

College football is too dangerous. College football subtracts from the academic mission of a university. It's hopelessly corrupt. There's too much money involved. And it's a travesty that the players aren't getting a fair share of the loot.

[+] Enlarge
Eugene Gologursky/Getty Images"Friday Night Lights" author Buzz Bissinger led the charge against college football Tuesday.

Those were the winning points put forward by writers Buzz Bissinger -- yes, Mr. "Friday Night Lights" hates college football -- and Malcolm Gladwell in an Intelligence Squared debate at New York University over whether college football should be banned. They bested sports columnist Jason Whitlock and author and former NFL/college player Tim Green.

It was an entertaining and interesting debate. These are smart men. The room was full of smart, engaged people.

Best line of the night? Said Bissinger, "A great country changes."

That is true. Great countries work to solve social ills, particularly issues of inequality. Great countries work to create access to opportunity. Great countries aspire to create an ethical, ambitious, caring and intellectually active populace.

And great countries debate issues. That this debate will have less staying power in our culture than an average tweet from Lady Gaga -- there is zero momentum behind the notion of banning college football -- is not our present issue. Our present issue is whether you, fair college football fan, should feel a twinge of guilt over not caring why some intellectual types might think college football should be banned.

Yes, you should. So step out of the warm glow of your fandom for a moment.

Gladwell focused almost exclusively on head injuries suffered by players who were college students -- officially amateurs -- and not paid professionals. That should concern us all. Head injuries in football are serious business. The good news is that, after media pressure, the NCAA and NFL are taking head injuries seriously. There is reason to be optimistic that football can be made safer.

Bissinger, who at times channeled comedian Lewis Black with his sputtering passion, said football -- and sports in general -- had no place at universities that should be exclusively about higher learning. Of football, he said, "It sucks all the air out of the room." Not unreasonably, he pointed out that in a highly competitive world economy, education will become even more important, and U.S. universities that spend millions on football, football facilities and football coaches while cutting computer science departments are failing in their primary mission.

Everybody in the room lamented that college players are not paid.

Green and Whitlock countered with the positives of football, including providing scholarships to young men who otherwise couldn't afford college, building character, promoting diversity and building a sense of community at a university and even within an entire state. Or, in the case of the SEC, an entire region.

And both, not unreasonably, pointed out that once you start banning things, you step onto a slippery slope. Said Whitlock of living with freedom, "You can't have the free without the dumb."

Perhaps it's a facile point, but we could make American better by banning a lot of popular things: cigarettes, booze, fast food, sugar and reality TV. Without those, we'd be healthier and smarter. We could go further with our Utopian vision and make a law that politicians must go to jail for a week every time they willfully mislead the public with a false statement about themselves or their opponents. We could require all Americans to go to the theater weekly and read all of Jonathan Franzen's novels.

Of course, then we wouldn't be America. Freedom and capitalism and the messiness they sometimes create inexorably spiral through the circulatory system of our nation. It is often for better and sometimes for worse, but it's who we are. "Football has to be tolerated, just like Ronald McDonald," Whitlock opined.

There was some garbling of facts on the ban football side. Talking about chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma, can scare an audience. Yet it's also critical to note that concussions and anecdotal evidence about debilitated former football players have not been causally connected by scientific research, as Gladwell repeatedly implied. We know a concussion is bad and multiple concussions are worse, but it's irresponsible to point to Junior Seau's suicide and say, "See!" (No one specifically did that Tuesday night, by the way.)

Now I'll make note of a quibble that is also the basis for my position. Neither Bissinger nor Gladwell know much about college football. It's not just that they haven't played, it's that they aren't educated on the subject. That is where most critics of college football come from: the ignorant. I've been around college football much of my life, and professionally since 1997. My take on the sport, and the take of most folks who have been around the sport for a good deal of time, is that the good far outweighs the bad. If the sport is far from pure, it's also far from impure. And I'd be glad to debate that point with anyone. They'd lose.

Finally, let's gently take note of this debate's process. The winning position was declared by what percentage of people in the audience changed their minds. Before the debate, only 16 percent of the folks in the room said they believed college football should be banned. Afterwards, 53 percent thought so.

Now, I'm not going to accuse folks of manipulating the system, but let's just say lots of people in the room knew how the voting process worked. Bissinger and Gladwell scored some nice points, but their rhetoric wasn't worthy of a 37 percent swing. And they certainly wouldn't have gotten one in Tuscaloosa, Ala., or Columbus, Ohio, or Austin, Texas, or Eugene, Ore.

College football has been all about change in recent years, and one potential rerouting noted by Bissinger doesn't seem implausible: a minor league with teams aligned with universities merely as licensed affiliates. With Title IX issues making it almost impossible to truly "pay" football players, that might become a defensible course as the revenue in college football continues to grow exponentially.

Heck, just a few years ago, playoff talk was viewed as implausible. Now, it's almost a reality.

Speaking of which, don't you guys think an eight-team playoff would be better? And how good is that LSU defense going to be? Matt Barkley? Well, he's good but …

Tried to follow it on Twitter yesterday and heard that debate was more comedy than an actual debate.

@johnehoover Reports: #Sooners suspend WR Trey Franks for 2012 season and WR Jaz Reynolds for 1st 7 games. Working to confirm.

*Kay Slay* DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNN

I got like halfway through that article before realizing it was pointless to read because its not gonna change my viewpoint one bit. The most salient point was where do you draw the line when it comes to protecting people from themselves? Yes football is a dangerous sport with known risks, but so are boxing and MMA and alcohol, cigarettes and fast food do a lot more harm than football does. I'd be willing to bet I could make an even better case for banning the things I just mentioned than for banning football, by I doubt it would go over too well. I'm sure most of the people on that panel wouldn't take too kindly to me telling them "Look I know you like alcohol but its a dangerous drug and I don't think you should be allowed to consume it. I know what's best for you so please let me protect you from yourself."

Its also an asinine proposal economically. I'm sure they're aware of how much money not only the schools themselves but the surrounding areas make off of football; perhaps they don't care. All I know is a LOT of people in southwest VA would be out if a job if VT football ceased to exist. Secondly the academic profile of the school has grown by leaps and bounds since Beamer took over. Aside from that many schools use football revenues to subsidize other sports, many of which are already in danger and would certainly be cut without the money football provides. So say goodbye to the women's track team etc and many ither non revenue athletes getting a free education and the chance to pursue their olympic dreams. Banning college football altogether would be cutting off the nose to spite the face. Though they might be well-intentioned there is an underlying arrogance to people like that that grinds my gears.

The NCAA has granted WR DeAnthony Arnett's request for a residence waiver, so he will be eligible to play in 2012.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

@johnehoover Reports: #Sooners suspend WR Trey Franks for 2012 season and WR Jaz Reynolds for 1st 7 games. Working to confirm.

*Kay Slay* DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNN

Kameel Jackson was transferring anyway...Trey Franks falls down everytime he gets the ball....Jaz will affect us but we have the best WR recruits comming in (Trey Metoyer will be a STUD) and Hayes rarely saw the field.I'm glad Stoops runs a tight ship.Franks has been suspended twice I believe for multiple games.Jaz has been suspended for academics as well as a tweet he made.Kameel didn't go to class and was concerned with all the WR recruits coming in.Hayes was involved with what they had done. I believe it was smoking.If Gardner gets here in the fall, he should start with Stills, Metoyer, Neal and Shepard.

Anyone following these FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 rumors? Seems to be just talk at this point, but where there is smoke, there is usually fire with these realignment rumors.

Back
Top Bottom