16-Year-Old Turns Down Harvard AND Stanford to go to FAMU vol. yes..........FAMU

ThrowedInDaGame wrote:

because Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, and Google don't even know FAMU exist?
laugh.gif

I would have taken the debt from Morehouse as an investment to my future success.

Notice I didn't even mention Harvard or Stanford.

Yeah my man, I'm going to need you to do some research on the School of Business and Industry at FAMU before you make wild claims like this.
I PERSONALLY have attended multiple recruitment events for companies such as Goldman Sachs and McKinsey. I also know folks that are working for every one of the the big four firms, on Wall Street, with companies such as Lockheed Martin, etc. 

That picture is only a portion of the Big Board of Corporations that have contributed to the Business School alone.

FAMU may not be Ivy League but it's not chopped liver either. 

And yes I did attend FAMU. 

Originally Posted by trunks206

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by trunks206

Originally Posted by lazybonejone

That's a good SAT score for an under represented minority. I would say its equivalent to an Asian getting 2400, becoming an Eagle scout, 10 AP or 8 IB courses, and two years of JV Tennis.

So we just get free passes huh?
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
nah i think he was trying to say how easy asians  have it in comparison (wealth)

*runs out of thread*

I dont think so.
 I took it as a Asian student would have to get all that just to get the same chance that this "under represented minority" got.
I worked as a SAT teacher while I was UCSD, and for a while in Diamond Bar/Walnut.  Money makes a whole lot of difference, but averaging 700 on the SATs is nothing to be lauded for.  I think under-represented minorities do deserve a break, and that's what he got when his scoreallowed him admission into some of the best universities in the nation.  My dad was a plumber and my mom volunteered at the church.  Never took an SAT class, and worked off of old SAT books people at my church gave me. I think I probably had it worse then this kid, and my scores would +#%$ on his.  Did I get in to Harvard or Stanford?  Of course not.  I'm Asian.  

For sure, Asians get it the worse when it comes to like opportunities when it comes to like Blacks and Hispanics. Reason being, they are like the second biggest population in the Ivy League community next to whites of course. Why pick up more Asians when they are trying to make the school more diverse? One thing I'm confused about is this kids work ethic. He was reading 9th grade level stuff at 4 and doing simple algebra at the same age, all high school level things, YET HE ONLY GOT A 2100? What? Did he get lazy for the next 12 years of his life? Like damn he should've gotten a 2400 without even breaking a sweat. I understand he's 16, but still I'm a bit confused.

At the end of the day, prestige or no prestige an African American man in college that is actually working towards a degree and not just $##%$*!+#@!+ around is a good thing. Props to those who went to the Elite colleges, props to those who even though they may not be in the prestigious few, they still made the most out of their situations. No need for this type of division that we are seeing in this thread. If you have a name brand degree then it means you have less work to do to get recognized initially in the work force. If you have a less prestigious degree from a lesser school then it means you have to do more self-promotion in order to be noticed. But after the job is attained your body of work...not your degree is what will be judged more.

DaComeUP wrote:

ElderWatsonDiggs

Achieve Achieve NUPE.

I go to an Ivy League school and there is no way in hell I would choose FAMU over one of them. People make their decisions for different reasons though so I'm not going to sit here and berate him for his decision. This definitely doesn't mean that he won't be succesfful, or get a good job or anything that people here seem to believe. Ivy League doesn't equal great job. I know tons of unemployed recent grads from my school right now
laugh.gif
Hey man, much respect to your lofty academic success. I have two sons and you best believe that I want them to be in the position to go to the best school as they can get into. I myself of course went to an HBCU, and I have a great career and future...BUT I don't want my sons to go to an HBCU, they may not be as lucky/fortunate as I was coming from one.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

There's a whole lotta denial in this thread.
roll.gif
I'm with Anton on this one.  The goal is to get the best education you can, especially if you have a free ride. 

Some of ya'll talking about "he can just go to an Ivy League school for grad school".  What!  Who's gonna pay for that?  Moreover, people don't go to Ivy League schools thinking about what grad school they gonna go to, some of them dudes don't even finish 4 years cause they starting businesses. 

Originally Posted by cguy610

roll.gif
I'm with Anton on this one.  The goal is to get the best education you can, especially if you have a free ride. 

Some of ya'll talking about "he can just go to an Ivy League school for grad school".  What!  Who's gonna pay for that?  Moreover, people don't go to Ivy League schools thinking about what grad school they gonna go to, some of them dudes don't even finish 4 years cause they starting businesses. 

I love how no one has acknowledged the fact that Harvard is need-blind. They literally give everyone AID who needs it. This kid literally had no reason not to go to Harvard.....and if he really wanted to attend and HBCU, Morehouse would have been a much better alternative. Morehouse College produces some very successful alums.

I question this kid's motivation and intelligence.

roll.gif

Exactly. But I expect nothing less from some of the ill-informed, delusional, ignorant kids on here.

im laughin at some of these response's

you can obviously tell whos mad that they got a 1000 on their SATs and hatin on the guy for accomplishing something great

I think some here are mad that dude has 120k in free money and he's going to what they see as a bad school.

Meanwhile, they're paying 120k in student loans out of pocket with very little help from anyone. That's all.

roll.gif

I love how no one has acknowledged the fact that Harvard is need-blind. They literally give everyone AID who needs it. This kid literally had no reason not to go to Harvard.....and if he really wanted to attend and HBCU, Morehouse would have been a much better alternative. Morehouse College produces some very successful alums.

Or maybe he didn't want to go to Harvard. Simple as that. No need to question his motivation or intelligence.

roll.gif

Or maybe he didn't want to go to Harvard. Simple as that. No need to question his motivation or intelligence.

Back
Top Bottom