18 and planning to move out and live on my own in NYC, what am i looking at?

basically I'm 18 and plan on moving out as soon as i save up enough money
i live in NYC(queens) and want to remain here
juss wondering from all the older heads who've been through it, anything i should be aware of ?
how much money do i have to save before even thinking about moving out?
i can defitnetly find a friend who is serious, and can roomate with, maybe even 2.
and get 1bedroom or 2bedroom apartment or something
i plan on starting college next spring (parents should be paying for the tuition)
so im looking at a 9to5 while going to school at the same time?

all help is greatly appreciated

SUP BRAH

USE CRAIGSLIST ETC.

look to spend 600+ for a single room or sharing an apartment.

trust...i know..

best of luck to you.

why r u trying to move out so fast? If anything, stay at home for a bit, and let your bank account grow. You're 18....you shouldn't be in that much ofa rush.

With 1 or 3 roommates, all you need to do is make sure a) you have steady income, b)make sure they have steady income, c) make sure they're not some dirtymuthas.

Also, I believe credit checks are involved.

That's all I got, I'm still home with the parents.

right now its really a backup plan.
me and my parents havent been getting along
last time we talked was like 2 months ago, and it was about moving out.
i got 5 other siblings who are honor students, and basically i f'd up in school
which is where my parents gave up hope on me, and i guess i could understand why
my plan is to move out, work, and go to college (applying for nursing)
till everything settles down

Good luck with that fam its rough out here...

I live on my own now but im 21 and I also live with my girl so the expenses are cut in half...

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

600 damn I thought apt.'s cost like 5g's a month.
He said $600 for a room.

Which means he's gonna be holed up with a couple stoners, loners and boners.

Either way its an L

Cake up and come back to this move in a few years.

If you can deal with your parents, then stay living at home. First you will need enough money saved to cover your portion of a deposit and try to avoid livingin the city because that is way more expensive. One of my friends found a place in the city and is paying around $1200 just for a room in a three bed room apt.Don't forget the cost of moving, food, internet, cable, utilities (like electricity unless its included), and other things you may need. Also learn how tocook at least something you are willing to eat on a regular basis unless you can afford to go out to eat often or several times a day. Also, think about howmuch you can take because a 9-5 plus school isn't easy at all. Plus you will need time to study and time to rest in addition to projects or papers you mayget in your classes.

Originally Posted by illuzionz23

right now its really a backup plan.
me and my parents havent been getting along
last time we talked was like 2 months ago, and it was about moving out.
i got 5 other siblings who are honor students, and basically i f'd up in school
which is where my parents gave up hope on me, and i guess i could understand why
my plan is to move out, work, and go to college (applying for nursing)
till everything settles down

sorry to be harsh but stop *****in

your parents are goin to pay for u to go to college....obviously means they love u no matter how much you're %$!#*#! up

Well I'm just gonna go ahead and slap a PENDING FAIL on this
taking bets now on how fast you'll be back home.

ehhh...not a good idea while doing college...you're parents are paying for it, ok that's helpful but working full time while going to school is noteasy....Just letting you know that

also, if you want to move out so badly, why don't you look into dorms that your school has? just a suggestion.

Just suck it up and wait awhile until you arre absolutley sure you can move out comfortably. Dont create a bigger problem for yourself if you dont have to

If you have a steady job things should be alot easier.
But on craigslist you can find a spot from 450-900 a month all utilities included.
So as long as you can hold the job down and manage to pay the monthly bill without starving yourself you may be ok.
I know cause my friend is in the same situation, and what part of queens you're looking at?

Originally Posted by Supafly122

If you have a steady job things should be alot easier.
But on craigslist you can find a spot from 450-900 a month all utilities included.
So as long as you can hold the job down and manage to pay the monthly bill without starving yourself you may be ok.
I know cause my friend is in the same situation, and what part of queens you're looking at?

i got a parttime job right now making $10/hour but only 25 hours a week, 5 hours every morning mon-fri, 6am-11am
i could get more hours at my work, and being that its summer, thats exactly what im gonna try and do
im looking at flushing, queens right now
as for food, i'll be grubbing from the place i work
grin.gif

Originally Posted by neverflopped

sorry to be harsh but stop *****in

your parents are goin to pay for u to go to college....obviously means they love u no matter how much you're %$!#*#! up
i kno what u mean, what it is, is they're asking me to move out, and they'll pay for college, they're my parents, tough love

Back
Top Bottom