1994 Marked The First Retro of the Air Jordan I, Will We See a Zoom Generation Retro in 2012?

Originally Posted by Wayne141

Actually now that I think about it again, the Jordan I was probably retroed in '94 purely cuz MJ retired for the first time at the end of the '92-'93 season, probably with the thought that he'd never play again so it couldn't hurt to retro some of his shoes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know if Nike intentionally thought of "retroing" as a thing until then? Did they think about re-releasing the Is again in '94 regardless of whether or not MJ retired?

I don't know if I'm right or not on MJ's retirement leading to the Jordan Is being retroed, but if a player is still playing in the league, it doesn't make total sense to me for Nike to push older models at the same time as they're trying to promote the newest one, with better tech and all that. It makes sense for them to retro Jordans now obviously because there's so much nostalgia with each model, regardless of the actual tech behind them, which will sell the shoes automatically. Going by that, then I don't think the Zoom Generations would be retroed next year.
  Actually, the III's were the first Jordan to get the retro treatment, but yes, his retirement was the catalyst behind that project.  Unfortunately for Nike, while the III's sold pretty well, other than AFI's, that plain, basic look of the Jordan I & II wasn't "in" at the time, so those shoes bombed.  After the I and II flopped, they scrapped the whole project.  Then, Jordan came out of retirement, and we had to wait 3 years for the project to get re-booted.

With times being different now, who knows what will happen with LeBron "retros."  I think a lot of people have hit the nail on the head, though.  With all the power LBJ feels the need to exert over his line, I can't imagine him wanting this to gain any kind of traction.  Hell, he's releasing 2 & 3 CURRENT sig models a year, and doing decent enough numbers already.  Can't see why he'd want to go backwards at this point.

Peace,
   J

Originally Posted by jshortt

Actually now that I think about it again, the Jordan I was probably retroed in '94 purely cuz MJ retired for the first time at the end of the '92-'93 season, probably with the thought that he'd never play again so it couldn't hurt to retro some of his shoes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know if Nike intentionally thought of "retroing" as a thing until then? Did they think about re-releasing the Is again in '94 regardless of whether or not MJ retired?

I don't know if I'm right or not on MJ's retirement leading to the Jordan Is being retroed, but if a player is still playing in the league, it doesn't make total sense to me for Nike to push older models at the same time as they're trying to promote the newest one, with better tech and all that. It makes sense for them to retro Jordans now obviously because there's so much nostalgia with each model, regardless of the actual tech behind them, which will sell the shoes automatically. Going by that, then I don't think the Zoom Generations would be retroed next year.
  Actually, the III's were the first Jordan to get the retro treatment, but yes, his retirement was the catalyst behind that project.  Unfortunately for Nike, while the III's sold pretty well, other than AFI's, that plain, basic look of the Jordan I & II wasn't "in" at the time, so those shoes bombed.  After the I and II flopped, they scrapped the whole project.  Then, Jordan came out of retirement, and we had to wait 3 years for the project to get re-booted.

With times being different now, who knows what will happen with LeBron "retros."  I think a lot of people have hit the nail on the head, though.  With all the power LBJ feels the need to exert over his line, I can't imagine him wanting this to gain any kind of traction.  Hell, he's releasing 2 & 3 CURRENT sig models a year, and doing decent enough numbers already.  Can't see why he'd want to go backwards at this point.

Peace,
   J
Ah, alright. I knew the IIIs also released again in '94, but I didn't know they came before the Is as a retro.

Originally Posted by jshortt

Peace,
   J
Ah, alright. I knew the IIIs also released again in '94, but I didn't know they came before the Is as a retro.

Lord no.
If I never saw those again it would be too soon.
%%!!% looked like a Gundam boot.

Lord no.
If I never saw those again it would be too soon.
%%!!% looked like a Gundam boot.

TOO SOON! Give it another 2-3 years before Lebrons start retroing. Maybe longer.

TOO SOON! Give it another 2-3 years before Lebrons start retroing. Maybe longer.

Back
Top Bottom