1994, the year air jordans pretty much almost DIED.

Some of the responses in this thread are asinine
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Magic1978

Not sure where you live, and your memory

But nobody ever turned their nose up at the IX's and X's. They weren't IV's or III's, but were still considered hot. Especially the IX's. And those Barkley's weren't considered as hot as the others he had.

And I still have those Jordan III's, and they never went on sale for $19.99, because one of my boys was trying to get me to sell mine to him
you buggin....

either your:

A. too young to remember

B. weren't into kicks to notice.

the jordan 1994 retros all tanked because like i said back then...NO ONE wanted to pay 100 bux for a old looking jordan when they could've put a extra 40dollars and get:

nike-air-max-95.jpg

a few months later

or

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0537.JPG

to futher put things in perspective, these were the original launch years of full blown air max heel nikes....IT WAS A BIG DEAL, nike's top shelf, they hadthey're own boxes to introduce the new technology to the public
DSC_0535.JPG

all this retroing has made ya oblivous to how wildly mad the public were for sneakers with huge air max bubble back in the mid 90's when it wasintroduced...you couldn't even look at

a old nike the same way anymore.

on top of that no one was even thinking about saving sneakers period...most kicks were just being used, abused, and one to next year's release.

But nobody ever turned their nose up at the IX's and X's.
and you'd be wrong. if i had pics back then i could've showed you bins full to the brim of jordan IX, X, I, II, III all selling for 29.99and lower all tie wrapped and displayed like sandals

you buy at the beach.

you can argue that most people would take a air max 1995 over a jordan IX-X today too...

if MJ would have been playing during 94, those barkleys would b garbage!!!!!!! they still are tho
i doubt it since the year before the air force max barkley are arguably MORE popular then the jordan VIII on the streets.

you gotta think, nike re-tooled this shoe for barkley (air force max cb) and sold well in its original launch colors plus the 3 CB version colorways

�while the jordan VIII only came out in 3 colors for the entire year...and those were a "you either love em or hate em" so by the time jordan retiredand the IX's dropped it was 1994

and nike had the dropped the air max2 technology for the newest barkley, its flagship shoe for the year, it was no contest in terms of which shoe was the onepeople wanted.

You're just talking to be talking now, because nobody even knew the 95's were even coming out. You act like people looked on the internet and checkedrelease dates. You must be bored or something or crave the attention. Your shoulda, woulda, coulda topic is lame. Again, I'm not sure where you'refrom. What city, block, neighborhood, but this did not happen all over...if it happen at all.

Bins full...lol

The III's were a classic, and people were happy when they retroed then. Again, I still have mine and I sure as heck didn't get them for $29.99 or$19.99(make up your mind). And yes, I was in to kicks back then. Why I got the III's. I was in position to get $100 kicks that my parents wouldn't buywhen they first came out.

And I find your 25 and up comment amusing, like a 10 year old would have any knowledge of what was going on or the significance of Jordan's, but I'msure you have a great telegraphic memory.

You're from New York, so I know you have no realy concept of the rest of the world. You think in terms of your borough and think it applies to all over. I wouldn't even say borough, your school. Barkley flagship shoe? No contest? Was this some sort of poll you had? phone survey? Where are you gettingyour info from and why do you seem intent on cramming it down peoples throats?

But wait, you're a Nike exec, so people should believe you, right? Bottom line, stop spreading your BS opinion like it's bond.

Originally Posted by Untitled

for all my 25 year old dudes and older..remember 1994?

remember when the first ever retro I-III's are flopped horribly and were on sales racks for 19.99 by the truckloads?

remember when NO ONE like the IX's and were played second fiddle to all the new nikes with AIRMAX2 technology?

remember when charles barkley's and penny's line dethroned Mike's?
There were some good Nike basketball releases during this time. But I would hardly call a year and a half slump the near death of the Jordanline. They had a cold reception to the IX. And the X started out a little slow. But, then what happpened...................

Mike came back and everyone wanted the Chicago X's. Then what happened.................................

The XI released. Game over. Nike's basketball lineup has never been the same!

Let me put it this way: the Xs were my first Jordan, because they became so cheap, I actually could cop them. The CBs never came into my range at the time. Ithink that says it all. Plus, I never got the recognition for rocking Jordan Xs ( I was 18, so please bear with me) as I did for say... Air Revaderchi OGs.Now, I wasn't getting laughed at, but I heard the comments, "Oh, he's got those Xs. They 'OK' ". So, I completely agree.

if jordan never retired, barkley, penny would have been nike factory exclusives, the way all their retroes end up

You're just talking to be talking now, because nobody even knew the 95's were even coming out. You act like people looked on the internet and checked release dates. You must be bored or something or crave the attention. Your shoulda, woulda, coulda topic is lame. Again, I'm not sure where you're from. What city, block, neighborhood, but this did not happen all over...if it happen at all.

Bins full...lol

The III's were a classic, and people were happy when they retroed then. Again, I still have mine and I sure as heck didn't get them for $29.99 or $19.99(make up your mind). And yes, I was in to kicks back then. Why I got the III's. I was in position to get $100 kicks that my parents wouldn't buy when they first came out.

And I find your 25 and up comment amusing, like a 10 year old would have any knowledge of what was going on or the significance of Jordan's, but I'm sure you have a great telegraphic memory.

You're from New York, so I know you have no realy concept of the rest of the world. You think in terms of your borough and think it applies to all over. I wouldn't even say borough, your school. Barkley flagship shoe? No contest? Was this some sort of poll you had? phone survey? Where are you getting your info from and why do you seem intent on cramming it down peoples throats?

But wait, you're a Nike exec, so people should believe you, right? Bottom line, stop spreading your BS opinion like it's bond.

uhh...it did, lolz

seems to me you've ignored alot of other posters in this thread, because alot of people remember the first retros floppin miserably in 1994

Retro - demands change
The white/black-red and black/red were released as retros in 1994 and sold very poorly. Noone seemed to want them. They wenton sale for $20 at some stores in the US

In 2001 they re-retroed them and this time around the demand was a lot greater. At some stores they sold out in just a fewminutes. I bet a few of the people buying them was wishing they were around back in '94...

http://www.air-jordans.com/content/aj01.html

Another retro setback
The white/black AJ II's were retroed in 1994 in limited quantities. Just like the I's they sold very poorly and werefound on discount racks on Footlockers nationwide.

http://www.air-jordans.com/content/aj02.html

This might be one of the most popular Air Jordan's ever. It has won numerous polls when questioning which the greatestsneaker through all times is. Air Jordan fans also freaked out when they retroed this model in 1994. Shoe stores once again had major problems selling themthough.

http://www.air-jordans.com/content/aj03.html

and of course i remember this when i was younger, i was into shoes back too, its called growing up in NYC, a sneaker capitol and major target for

retailers. and i remember CLEARLY passing on the I-III retros PLUS the IX's and X's cuz i wanted those barkleys.

and as far as those barkleys being the 1994 flagship shoe to nike, i'll let any of our insider's co-sign, it was THE FIRST BASKETBALL SHOE with

air max 2 technology..to think it didn't hold presidence of the jordan IX and jordan X is rediculous..

here's all the nike basketball shoes that came out during 1994

[h2]Nike Basketball 1994 Releases[/h2]
  • Nike Air Jordan IX
  • Nike Air Prevail (Leather)
  • Nike Air Commitment (Leather)
  • Nike Air Unlimited (Leather)
  • Nike Air Jordan X
  • Nike Air Assist Mid (Leather)
  • Nike Air Swift (Leather)
  • Nike Air Flight 3/4 (Leather)
  • Nike Air Drill (Leather)
  • Nike Strong High (Leather)
  • Nike Air Force Max CB (Leather)
  • Nike Air Darwin (Leather)
  • Nike Air Up (Leather)
  • Nike Air Ultra Force Mid (Leather)
  • Nike Air Maestro Mid (Leather)
  • Nike Air Max2 CB
  • Nike Air Jordan I Retro
  • Nike Air Jordan Retro II
  • Nike Air Jordan III Retro
  • Nike Air Role Ndestrukt (Leather)
  • Nike Air Proof (Leather)

now you can google a pic of each of those shoes in that year of basketball shoes and i'd bet you that the air max2 cb were the most technological

shoe of that year, take a wild guess..it was the FLAGSHIP model for that year...nike had moved on from jordan

(hence why the X's have accomplishments on the bottom)

so stop taking the fact that jordans fell outta favor before so personal
laugh.gif
everyonetakes L's.

P.S the air max 1995 were already being advertised in the source magazine among other publications months in advance of its release.

A lot of kids and hardcore Jordan groupies in this threads.

Untitled. Brilliant post as always. So true. I remember my brother copping the charcoal IX's in late 1995 for $50.00, at a now defunct spot here in NYC.They were in a bargain bin.
laugh.gif
at that time, Barleys, Webbers, and even Grant Hill's first Fila shoe was doin' big numbers.

I had no hate for the Jordan IX and X, and thought they were hott, but Nike dropped some other heat, that piqued my interest.

smh.gif
@ the dude tryin' to poo poo on Barkley's career. We're all entitled to our opinion, but clearly, yours is a valid reason to consider abolishingfreedom of speech.

Jordan should have done something with air units. Early 90s, air units were fairly new and a novelty, then the whole huarache/strap thing was popular in like92-93. Mid 90s, it was all about air units again, Jordan shoulda took notice.

2000 1 and 2002 were big years for Air Jordans, and if anyone forgot just look at all the XI's, III's, V's, and VI's among others thatreleased, now a case could be made for 2005 as the year Jordans starte to slack off.

Originally Posted by Wings2315

2000 1 and 2002 were big years for Air Jordans, and if anyone forgot just look at all the XI's, III's, V's, and VI's among others that released, now a case could be made for 2005 as the year Jordans starte to slack off.

It wasn't the best year, but still, you must be smokin' if you think they fell off.

Originally Posted by Beelzebub23

2000 1 and 2002 were big years for Air Jordans, and if anyone forgot just look at all the XI's, III's, V's, and VI's among others that released, now a case could be made for 2005 as the year Jordans starte to slack off.

It wasn't the best year, but still, you must be smokin' if you think they fell off.

smh.gif
laugh.gif
on those pics. Like they even have a chance comparing to HALF of the Nike releasesin 1994. Not to mention Reebok doing it big and Fila starting to make some noise as well. Some of you are I guess too young to remember.

And to add, I agree with the OP. If MJ never came back, we'd never see concords, spacejams, etc for the 11s. Hence, might not be a pair of 11s and so on.That's why the 11s are such a revolutionary shoe at the time.

Some of you are such \blind and biased MJ riders, it's silly. Read some history before posting. Only for the grown folks here in this post. That's whyOP said 25 and over!
laugh.gif
No youngns allowed.
laugh.gif
J/K

I wasn't comparing '05 to '94. I was responding to someone, and if you look above you can clearly see that, that person wasn't you, homie.

Not sure where you live, and your memory

But nobody ever turned their nose up at the IX's and X's. They weren't IV's or III's, but were still considered hot. Especially the IX's. And those Barkley's weren't considered as hot as the others he had.

And I still have those Jordan III's, and they never went on sale for $19.99, because one of my boys was trying to get me to sell mine to him
2chknyr.gif

Originally Posted by Beelzebub23

the only thing people wanted were flints, (and EVERYONE complained about the quality, indeed it was pretty bad), the altitudes (due to major hype for somereason), and the stealths. the rest were all on sale or easily obtainable. IMO 05 was pretty weaksauce but probably one of the last years before jb really felloff. at least there were retros on the shelves when you walked into a shoestore...nowadays all i see are the sad fushions or the mixed junk and it makes mewant to throw up.

i wasn't around 94 here so i don't remember but i've heard the 94 retros doing horrible many times. i really want another pair of those cb 94'sthough...in all black. had a pair, it was very very comfortable shoe.

Point Blank if Barkley or Penny would have one 2+ championships i guarantee they would have had the same following as Jordan did but like someone previouslysaid neither where surrounded by the depth that the bulls where. Not taking anything away from Jordan cuz he is still the Greatest of My time but its easier toshine when you have that much depth.

Originally Posted by sickickz23

smh.gif
^ and young'ns wonder why they get no respect or love from the older peeps. Denying facts.
indifferent.gif

tell me about it.

let me put up some nike video to teach the youngins that the barkley line was ALL classics...

Dudes a clown just like op .......... THIS THREAD IS FADED.........
i'll put Barkley on anyone...dude was just on wack 76er teams for a few years, then after 4 years the suns decided to rebuild and tradedhim..but son is top 50 player of all time

your own man jordan would tell you that. you making whoever is in your age group look BAD
laugh.gif

I can't believe the straight hate and the denial of Barkley, his kicks and his career as an NBA player.

While NYC does not speak for the the rest of the country I that in Brooklyn at least that IX's did alright dude were rocking them because they were Jordansthough he was still hated by anyone who was down with the orange and blue but the X's straight bombed.

I can't remember anyone including myself wearing any color of the X's. No hype, no love..nothing. Barkley's and Air Max 2 tech was where it was atas Untitled said Barkley had the flagship shoe and the best tech out for that year. XI's changed everything but by that time Jordan was back to what he didbest and wasn't rocking cleats made from the design of the IX and not a simple basic designed shoe to signal and commerate his retirement.

Back
Top Bottom