2007 NT Boxing Post: Thanks For A Great Year/ Please Lock

Not really a surprise to see that happen.

Anyone hear Lampley when he mentioned Taylor to Steward after the Calzaghe fight? "Your fighter...err, the guy you were with over the last 3 (or 4?)fights... blah blah blah"
laugh.gif

I'm not surprised either , watch Taylor get Buddy McGirt then use the classic lines " i am in the best shape of my life" " He is teaching meso much new stuff " then watch him do like all off Buddys big name guys, get stopped . Buddy's cursed . Pbf-Coto should be made but will floyd takethe fight thats the question if not lets do Cotto-Margarito now that is a straight up slugfest

Cotto = #2 lb4lb but thats my biased opinion.
I still think it's Mayweather, Pacquaio 1 and 2. Cotto, Calzaghe and Marquez are the next 3. I would love to see Cotto and Margarito whowere both dodged by Mayweather.

Took the trip to NYC this past weekend and caught the fight at MSG. Great fight overall and watching it live it definitely looked like Cotto was in charge forthe majority of the rounds. Going to watch the TV replay this weekend to see if that was in fact the case. Lost my camera somewhere during the evening so Ican't post the pics I took.

In regards to where Cotto goes from here while a fight with Margarito would be entertaining I think its time for him to chase those big $ fights with the likesof Mayweather, De La Hoya, etc.

The split between Taylor and Steward was inevitable so this news isn't all that shocking. It didnt seem like Taylor progessed at all while training underManny Steward so either we have seen Taylor's best or Steward was just never able to get through to him.

^^ De La Hoya really has his mind set on not fighting a Puerto Rican, although for the right amount of money anyone will do anything. If he takes theMayweather/Hatton winner, Margarito would go for the winner of the Williams/Cintron unification (assuming Cintron beats his mandatory challenger). This timenext year we could have a fight to unify the entire welterweight division.

Good scrap this weekend between Joan Guzman and Humberto Soto.
(HBO) Saturday, Nov. 17 at 9:45 PM (ET/PT)
Joan Guzman (27-0) vs. Humberto Soto (43-5-2)
(The Ring Magazine #4 Jr. Lightweight vs. #
glasses.gif

Undefeated super featherweight champ Joan Guzman (27-0, 17 KOs), originally from the Dominican Republic and now living in Brooklyn, puts his perfect record on the line against top contender Humberto Soto (43-5-2, 27 KOs), from Tijuana, Mexico, in a scheduled 12-round title contest. Guzman, defending his super featherweight title for only the second time, was also a champion in the super bantamweight division. Soto, known for his attacking style, is on a five-year, 20-fight winning streak.

Who is the world's best fighter, regardless of weight class? See my top 20 below.

Make sure to check back tomorrow for my division-by-division rankings.

For a list of the current champions in all weight classes, click here.

The rankings are updated on the second Wednesday of each month.

Note: Results through Nov. 14.
[table][tr][th=""]
TOP 10​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
box_g_mayweather_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
1. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (38-0, 24 KOs)

Welterweight champion
Hits: It was fun while it lasted, but thankfully Mayweather was eliminated from "Dancing with the Stars" after just a few weeks of the competition. Had he remained on the reality series, it would have obviously have had a negative impact on his training for his Dec. 8 showdown with Ricky Hatton, and nobody wants to hear any excuses from Mayweather should he happen to fall victim to an upset.
Misses: Because Mayweather is such a significant favorite in his match with Hatton, what will a victory over the Briton mean, other than a big payday? There are more menacing opponents for him at welterweight, namely Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito on the prowl.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
a_calzaghe_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
2. Joe Calzaghe (44-0, 32 KOs)

Super middleweight champion
Hits: It gets no better than Calzaghe's surprisingly dominant victory against Mikkel Kessler in perhaps the biggest fight in 168-pound division history. It is not a reach to call Calzaghe the greatest super middleweight ever after a performance that validated his 10-year title reign and gave him 21 title defenses. Well done, Joe.
Misses: With nothing left to do at super middleweight, Calzaghe is looking to move up to light heavyweight to face champion Bernard Hopkins. It's the obvious fight but does anyone really think it will be a classic, given the way Hopkins fights?

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
a_pacquiao_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
3. Manny Pacquiao (45-3-2, 34 KOs)

Junior lightweight
Hits: The Filipino idol dominated Marco Antonio Barrera on Oct. 6 and a month later Juan Manuel Marquez dominated Rocky Juarez to set up a highly anticipated rematch between Pacquiao and Marquez, who fought to a blazing draw in 2004.
Misses: Although the rematch with Marquez is set up on a tee for Pacquiao, he seems reluctant to go for it. If he doesn't take it shame on him.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
box_g_hopkins_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
4. Bernard Hopkins (48-4-1, 32 KOs)

Light heavyweight champion
Hits: Even at 42, Hopkins still gets excited about a big fight. He's like a kid in a candy store when he talks about fighting Calzaghe, the obvious fight for both guys. His notion to hold the fight at Yankee Stadium, which has a storied history of important prize fights, is pretty cool, too.
Misses: You always have to be skeptical when Calzaghe's promoter, Frank Warren, is on the other side of the negotiating table. He's talked about many big fights over the years but only a few of them have ever come to pass.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
box_g_jmm_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
5. Juan Manuel Marquez (48-3-1, 35 KOs)

Junior lightweight champion
Hits: With Barrera and Erik Morales now retired, Marquez stands alone as Mexico's No. 1 fighter, which he reinforced with a brilliant display against Rocky Juarez in a virtual shutout decision win on Nov. 3.
Misses: He wants to fight Pacquiao in a rematch and is willing to do it at 130 pounds or up at 135 pounds, so if the fight doesn't come off, blame Pacquiao. But whomever would shoulder the blame, it would be terrible for boxing if this match slipped away at a time when all the other big fights are being put together.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
box_g_cotto_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
6. Miguel Cotto (31-0, 25 KOs)

Welterweight titlist
Hits: Puerto Rico's best active fighter racked up yet another impressive victory as he outboxed and outfought superstar Shane Mosley in a thrilling fight at hallowed Madison Square Garden. There are nothing but big fights in Cotto's future, including possible matches with Oscar De La Hoya, the Floyd Mayweather-Ricky Hatton winner, Antonio Margarito and the Paul Williams-Kermit Cintron winner. It's good to be a welterweight star these days.
Misses: As tremendous a body puncher as Cotto is, Mosley actually seemed to get the better of the body blows when they met.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
a_wright_m.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
7. Winky Wright (51-4-1, 25 KOs)

Middleweight
Hits: Even if he can be a bit difficult to make a deal with, Wright has shown that he is willing to fight the best, even if it means going up in weight like he did to face Hopkins in July. He's a true competitor and a future Hall of Famer.
Misses: Where does the Winkster go? He must be awfully lonely right now with no big name to fight. It's like the top fighters from welterweight to super middleweight played a big game of musical chairs and Wright was the one left standing when the music stopped.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
box_g_vasquez_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
8. Israel Vazquez (42-4, 32 KOs)

Junior featherweight champion
Hits: However his third fight with Rafael Marquez goes, the first two bouts were exciting and meaningful enough to give their rivalry a place in the same conversation with any of the epic trilogies in boxing history.
Misses: How can the third fight with Marquez possibly live up to the lofty example set by the first two wickedly exciting fights?

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
box_marquez_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
9. Rafael Marquez (37-4, 33 KOs)

Junior featherweight
Hits: Even before his memorable series with Vazquez, which isn't over yet, Marquez had already been a pound-for-pound caliber fighter based on a dominant reign as bantamweight champion. The series with Vazquez is just adding to his legacy, his popularity and his bank account.
Misses: He's coming off a big knockout loss to Vazquez in fight No. 2 and the third fight isn't going to be any easier.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
box_a_hatton_65.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
10. Ricky Hatton (43-0, 31 KOs)

Junior welterweight champion
Hits: Whatever happens when he faces Mayweather as a big underdog, you have to give the British star a lot of credit for announcing his intention to come to the United States to fight the best fighters he could and then following through on the plan. It will all culminate with the showdown with Mayweather.
Misses: There's a good chance that despite what will be weeks of massive promotional bluster, the fight could turn into a one-sided Mayweather rout.

The next 10

11. Kelly Pavlik
12. Juan Diaz
13. Shane Mosley
14. Oscar De La Hoya
15. Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon
16. Jermain Taylor
17. Chris John
18. Cory Spinks
19. Paul Williams
20. Antonio Margarito [/td] [/tr][/table]

Latest pound for pound rankings.

How is Ricky Hatton in the top 10?, he's beaten NOBODY...I don't even like Mayweather, but i hope he absoloutely DESTROYS Hatton, I hope its likeMayweather-Gatti all over again...all Hatton does is dive in punching and hold, there's NOTHING entertaining about his style...

Mayweather-Hatton 24/7 starts this weekend tho, I noticed HBO's promoting this alot, I see ads on the subway and they put up a billboard in TimesSquare...but the fight's definetly not coming anywhere near the buys that Mayweather/De La Hoya got, i think it might even sell less than Cotto-Mosely...

anyone catch that fight last night?? forgot all about it there are a couple of replays on today tho?

24/7 PBF/Hatton > Actual Fight. LOL

Roger Mayweather had me
roll.gif
roll.gif

also, i caught the replay of Mosley vs. Cotto = incredible fight, definitely F.O.Y. material.

How is Ricky Hatton in the top 10?, he's beaten NOBODY

Although he hasn't fought the type of competition Mayweather has fought (which really isn't saying much) but Kostya Tszyu is not a nobody and hebasically broke him down.

Aw damn, I forgot all about 24/7 bein on last nite, is it being played on HBOonDemand?

Does anyone have the PPV buy numbers for the Cotto/Mosely fight? did they fill up MSG ? shannon? anyone?

did they fill up MSG ? shannon? anyone?
Gunna I know there were still tickets available on the day of the fight but from inside of MSG it was pretty damn packed and they announced it asbeing a sell out crowd. In terms of PPV #'s, last I had heard/read it did over 400K.

Roger Mayweather needs his own HBO series.

yo, i just watched 24/7 again. camp mayweather got the joke meter cranked up to 100 on this.

i like how hatton seems more agitated than de la hoya (he dislikes Floyd more than De la Hoya did), makes for better TV. i'm not sure its gonna translateinto a good fight though.

Random Quotes from the show:
"There's only onnnnnnnnneeeee Mayweather!"

"You can have a ring like this, you can have a watch like that. Cut the crap. I'm real..I'm real..real d*ck head!"

"Why Floyd still hungry?Why Bill Gates make the f'n computers. He got about 50 billion dollars. So tell me why? That's why Floyd's stillhungry?
laugh.gif

"This is America! We built on winning and i'm a winner!"

"I know what type of fighter Ricky Hatton is, yeah. He the type of fighter that's gonna get the same the rest of them mutha __ got"
laugh.gif

There hasn't been a universally recognized heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis retired in early 2004, but titleholders Wladimir Klitschko and Sultan Ibragimov will get the ball rolling toward filling his shoes. They agreed Tuesday to a unification bout.
After more than a month of negotiating, they will meet Feb. 23 at New York's Madison Square Garden. HBO will televise the bout live.
box_g_ibragimov_275.jpg

Tatyana Makeyeva/AFP/Getty Images

Sultan Ibragimov beat Evander Holyfield in his last fight.
The winner will emerge with two of the four major sanctioning organization title belts and have a leg up in the quest to be recognized as the true heavyweight champion over the other two beltholders, Ruslan Chagaev and the winner of the Feb. 2 Oleg Maskaev-Samuel Peter fight. Klitschko, who won his IBF belt by crushing Chris Byrd in seven lopsided rounds on April 22, 2006, will be making his fourth defense. In his first three defenses, Klitschko knocked out Calvin Brock, mandatory challenger Ray Austin and Lamon Brewster to avenge a previous defeat. "I'm very happy that after intensive negotiations we have finally reached a deal," said Klitschko, who has been vocal about his desire for a unification fight after beating Byrd. "I'm really looking forward to this unification bout. This is what boxing fans around the world want to see. Ibragimov showed his class with his convincing victories over Shannon Briggs and Evander Holyfield. I'm sure this will be an exciting fight and Madison Square Garden is the perfect place for it." Said Shelly Finkel, Klitschko's adviser, "At first Wladimir didn't believe it would happen. While the negotiations dragged on he was concerned, but when it got done he was ecstatic." Ibragimov (22-0-1, 17 KOs) won the WBO version of the title by easily outpointing Briggs on June 2 and will be making his second defense. The 32-year-old Russian southpaw made his first defense Oct. 13, a dominating decision against former four-time champion Holyfield in Moscow. "Before I became champion, my goal was to win the title and unify it," Ibragimov said. "But when I won the belt, I found no champion willing to fight me. I thank Klitschko for being a true champion and for fighting me. I know we will put on a great show for the fans in New York and around the world." At 6-foot-6, 245 pounds, Klitschko (49-3, 44 KOs), the 1996 Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist for Ukraine, will have a significant size advantage against the quicker Ibragimov, who is 6-2, 220 pounds. Ibragimov received the Olympic heavyweight silver medal in 2000. "In a division where champions have been known to shy away from dangerous challenges, credit must be given to Wladimir Klitschko and Sultan Ibragimov for stepping up and putting their belts on the line, not only for their own legacies, but for the good of boxing," said Leon Margules, executive director of Seminole Warriors Boxing, which co-promotes Ibragimov. The fight will be the heavyweight division's first unification match since Lewis outpointed Holyfield in their 1999 rematch that crowed Lewis the undisputed champion. Ibragimov was supposed to meet Chagaev in a unification bout on Oct. 13, but Chagaev withdrew because of illness and was replaced by Holyfield. Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com

i was reading rafale scorecard and
BUM juda had his 1st fight and Junior middleweight and beat some bum it went the full 12 rounds
The peterson Brothers did work this weekend
William Joppy and Hector Camacho Jr are still fighting?? WTF
Andre Ward may fight Allen Green on the Paul williams VS Kermit Cintron Undercard
grin.gif

*scratches head*

Ok, what the hell. My SN has been banned since the yuku switch, apparently for sharing the same e-mail as a previous id that got whacked a while back, which iswhy i haven't updated the post or dropped any thoughts or berated anyone recently. now all of a sudden i log in to my account to see if i have any newpm's, and now i'm apparently unbanned. I don't really get it, but whatever. I applied for a new name because i thought this one was done for, so ifmy new name does go through i think imma start to rock with that one. i'll keep this one around so i can continue to edit the title till the end of theyear.

Anyway, feels good to be back, and now you all have to deal with me again.
tongue.gif

anyone see the weight in last night for Vargas and Mayorga?? They had pleix(SP) Glass up between both fighters on stage. LOL and why is this crap 44 bucks onPPV?? i should of got tickets to it

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

anyone see the weight in last night for Vargas and Mayorga?? They had pleix(SP) Glass up between both fighters on stage. LOL and why is this crap 44 bucks on PPV?? i should of got tickets to it
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Plexi glass ? WORD!
laugh.gif

Vargas should knock this bum out. emphasis on the word should.

Back
Top Bottom