2007 NT Boxing Post: Thanks For A Great Year/ Please Lock

im od'ing on this thread but theres something i need to get off my chest

im MAD as hell at this stoppage , i went backto this video and i want you guys to re watch the first round of this fight and tell me zab aint got ALL the moves, this is the reason i'd pick zab anybody that he can honestly size up , this dudes reflex's and speed are INSANE , this is zab being robbed of a win .they robbed him of a year of his career not much later . still my favorite boxer to this day(no its not paul williams lol)

Zab being robbed of a victory LMAO he was out of it if Jay nady would have let that continue Zab would have got hurt way worse . Kostya was super acurate withthe right hand and trust me it would have landed again and again . Zab is a front runner always has been , I like him though and think he talented but mentallyhe get defeated after a few rounds . I f you can find a copy of the 96' olympic trails when David Diaz ran him out the ring you will see he just cant winthe big fights . For some reason i think he will get a fight with Margarito next year and that will be the end of Zab at the world class level .

Word, Mextra

For some reason i think he will get a fight with Margarito next year and that will be the end of Zab at the world class level .
IMO Zab would beat every 140 - 147 lb fighter not named Cotto, Mayweather and Mosely.
He got all the tools minus an iron will. he has some sorta mental switch that he just shuts down, but that Cotto fight he showed me incredible heart. Iwatched his comeback fight on ESPN a few months back and he looked sharp. I forgot what weight he was at for that fight tho.

zab is a bum he showed heart in one big fight in his career means nothing his heart still pumps kool-aid with that glass jaw. like if he fights paul willliamshe would get ate up with punchs all night and get mad and not stick to a game plane that was given to him.

He faught his last fight at 154 for the 1st time gunna. which he ant beating no one good in that divison

Miranda vs. JT would be awesome, especially since im a huge miranda homer, and that would definitely be a good 24/7. Miranda hates everybody, and JTlegitimately hates Miranda.

As for Zab, i think he could have continued against Tszyu, but i don't think it was a bad stoppage. I mean, dude's legs did look REAL bad after thatshot. The thing is, Zab has looked good and sharp in the past, but his chin has betrayed him. Remember the Baldomir fight? he was beatin Baldomir's$@%$,then he got caught with one good shot and his legs went to !!!! again. Just because Zab looked sharp at the beginning of the fight with Tszyu, doesn't meanTszyu would have caught him again and KO'd him for real.

Zab vs. Margarito? I think i'm goin with Margarito in that one. I don't think Margaritio is that good, but i don't think that is the best matchupfor Zab. He has a tendency to get too conservative with his punches in big fights, and Margarito throws a ton of punches and has a good chin. I wouldn'texpect Zab to win on points and i doubt he has the firepower at 147 to starch Margarito.

And his last fight was at 154, but he made it clear he was not moving up in weight. It was just a stay-busy fight for him and he didn't want to have todrain all the way down for a meaningless fight.

Some intereting matchups its from Steve kim over at maxboxing

Here are some that one scribe would like to witness in the upcoming year...

- James Kirkland vs. Joel Julio: Here you have two big jr. middleweights that can bang. You won't see a lot of feinting and slipping here, but a lot ofleather being flung in all directions.

Kirkland, coming off his one round barnburner against Allen Conyers, is perhaps the hottest prospect in all of boxing. Julio was the buzz-worthy boxer back acouple of years ago before being outboxed by Carlos Quintana.

- Robert Guerrero vs. Jorge Linares: There are four titlists right now in the featherweight division with no real clarity. But in matching the IBF championagainst the WBC's, you start to give this division a bit of an identity.

'The Ghost' is an improving fighter - as witnessed by his first round wipeout of the usually durable Martin Honorio - and Linares is a rare talent thatjust recently stopped Gamaliel Diaz, a fighter who owns a win over Guerrero.

- Edwin Valero vs. Joan Guzman: You've got two belt-holders at 130-pounds that badly need each other because quite frankly, they can't get anyone else.Valero, because of his medical suspension in the United States, is basically disqualified from being in the mix with the likes of Pacquiao and Marquez. Guzman,because of his slick, difficult style, has had problems getting those guys to look his direction.

It's a great matchup of styles. The natural power of Valero versus the boxing acumen of Guzman.

- Michael Katsidis vs. David Diaz: OK, now Katsidis working a heavy bag would be entertaining (and he still might get cut up) but with his bout against JuanDiaz getting kiboshed by Don King, it's time to look for other avenues.

In Diaz, he'd be facing a big, rugged, heavy-handed fighter who won't be hard to find. Say what you want about him, but he always makes for goodfights.

- Andre Berto vs. Zab Judah: A classic crossroads matchup; the young, undefeated prospect who takes on the accomplished veteran looking to show everyone thathis best days aren't completely behind him.

Yeah, Judah has shown in the past to be a tad chinny and inconsistent, but Berto has never faced a blend of speed and power quite like this. At anytime thisfight could turn in any direction.

- Nonito Donaire vs. Dimitri Kirilov: If you enjoy two skilled craftsmen plying their trade against each other, this bout is for you. Donaire, the IBFflyweight champion, is a boxer who comes forward aggressively and comes behind a hard jab and likes to time his lethal left hook. Kirilov, the IBF 115-poundtitlist, is more of a cutie that likes to stay in the pocket and counterpunch.

This might be a bit of a chess match, but one that will provide more than its fair share of action.

- Lamont Peterson vs. Randall Bailey: Peterson is a very sound boxer who has been developed well, but to date has not faced a real offensive threat. It'seasy to look good when there isn't much heat coming back at you. In Bailey, he'll be facing a guy that has always been able to crack and will bring thepressure.

- Daniel Ponce de Leon vs. Steve Molitor: While Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez engage in their rubber match on March 1st (in what is definitely a 'fightfans' fight) to decide supremacy in the jr. featherweight class, this fight here would decide who would be the number one challenger to them (And no, Ihaven't forgot Celestino Caballero, but he simply hasn't been active enough, recently).

Ponce de Leon does one thing well, and that's win. But it's been awhile since he's faced an all-around threat like the ever-improving Molitor.

- Amir Khan vs. Edner Cherry: There's a lot of heat regarding Khan, who just blitzed Graham Earl in less than a round. But who knows just how much Earl hadleft in the wake of his war earlier this year against Katsidis. Frank Warren can build a prizefighter as well as anybody, but there comes a time when afledgling young boxer needs a true test before stepping up to the big time.

I say 'the Cherry Bomb' is that gatekeeper. Cherry, who recently blew up Wes Ferguson on December 8th, is the guy to give Khan a good run for hismoney. Cherry can be out-boxed, but he can punch well enough to keep things interesting.

- Andy Lee vs. Giovanni Lorenzo: Emanuel Steward says Lee will be ready for a Kelly Pavlik by the end of 2008. I say to that, 'Manny, slow your roll.'Let's be honest, as good a prospect as Lee is, the reality is that he still hasn't engaged in a real fight as of yet, one where a guy can take hispunch, keep coming, extend him a few rounds and ask him some tough questions.

I'm not saying that Lorenzo would be that guy, but he's a solid young middleweight with an undefeated record who - unlike everyone else Lee has facedthus far - won't be coming in with the mentality of an 'opponent'. Seasoning and experience is vital for any young prospect and beyond Lorenzo, Leemight be well served to face the likes of Curtis Stevens, Jose Luis Zertuche, David Banks and the like to put some rounds under his belt.

- Jeff Lacy vs. Librado Andrade: Lacy certainly didn't look like a world beater in his return to the ring against Peter Manfredo Jr. But perhaps it wasring rust, or maybe he's just a fighter who was never the same after his thrashing at the hands of Joe Calzaghe.

We would find out against Andrade, who is one of the toughest fighters around today. 'Left Hook' would have no problems finding Andrade, and it wouldbe a matchup of the irresistible force versus the immovable object when it comes to Lacy's punching power and Andrade's chin.

- John Duddy vs. Sergio Mora: Yeah, yeah, I know some of you don't like this fight, but I think it's a fight that has some intrigue and could do somebusiness at the box office. Both fighters have their flaws but they complement each other well in this instance.

Duddy can crack, but has problems defensively. Mora is slick and slippery but doesn't punch all that well. When you have fighters with limitations squaringoff, sometimes it can make for some entertaining affairs.

You can call this 'the Fight for Legitimacy'.

- Andre Berto vs. Zab Judah: A classic crossroads matchup; the young, undefeated prospect who takes on the accomplished veteran looking to show everyone that his best days aren't completely behind him.

Yeah, Judah has shown in the past to be a tad chinny and inconsistent, but Berto has never faced a blend of speed and power quite like this. At anytime this fight could turn in any direction.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

pimp.gif

Hopkins/Calzaghe?
I think that would make a good 24/7, especially since I don't think this fight alone would do great among the mainstream audience without it. It would be similar to Mayweather/Hatton - Hopkins would play the villian as the trash talking, arrogant American vs Calazaghe as the likable, everyman fromWales. Personalties aside, each fighters legacy could definitely being a selling point as well.

seriously am i the only one that finds it freakishly incredible that hopkins is 42/43.
if it happens and he beats calzaghe .......i have no words for that

and andre berto vs judah WOULD BE CRACK!!!!

wikipedia , take it for what its worth
"It's been reported that negotiations are being made for a possible fight between Judah and Puerto Rican fighter Carlos Quintana (24-1, 19 KOs). Thefight, which may take place on the undercard of Kelly Pavlik-Jermain Taylor II in Las Vegas on February 16, 2008"

^That would be an interesting fight if it came off, but I thought Zab told Dan Rafael that he hurt his hand in his last bout and he needed time off to heal.

he hurt it agains dwin and fought at 154 so this shouldnt be too bad , since his lost to cotto he's won 2 straight a win against quintana and someone elseby mid 08' would put him in a good spot for a titleshot at 147 , still young

damn that 1 year suspension

Williams by decision. Quintana doesn't work inside very well, and he'll be giving up 4 inches in height and 10 inches in reach. He just won't beable to outbox Williams giving up that much in height and reach.

Williams (33-0, 24 KOs) outpointed Antonio Margarito in an exciting, close fight July 14 to win a world title and was scheduled to face fellow beltholder Cintron on Feb. 2 in the main event of a "World Championship Boxing" tripleheader that was to also feature heavyweight prospect Cristobal Arreola and super middleweight prospect Andre Ward, the 2004 U.S. Olympic gold medalist.

However, Cintron suffered a severe ligament injury in his right hand during a Nov. 23 victory against Jesse Feliciano and had to withdraw from the fight with Williams. There were also problems finding suitable opponents for Arreola and Ward.

mad.gif
Would've been a great way to start off 08...

Well according to BoxingConfidential .com looks like we will get Katsidis vs Casamayor in april . Oh and word is they are trying to Make Margarito/Judah forthe spring possible doubleheader with Cotto/Clotty

^
eek.gif
Wow. Both fights have the potential to be very explosive. I seriouslydoubt a Margo/Judah fight will go the distance and Cotto/Clottey sounds very intriguing.

Originally Posted by mextra45

Well according to BoxingConfidential .com looks like we will get Katsidis vs Casamayor in april . Oh and word is they are trying to Make Margarito/Judah for the spring possible doubleheader with Cotto/Clotty

Damn, that'll be interesting if Casamayor-Katsidis comes off. Casa might be able to outbox Katsidis still, but after watching his last fight i don'tthink he has the ability to move enough anymore to get out of the way of the freight-train that is katsidis. Hopefully Katsidis can end Casamayor's run forgood, and then become the Ring Mag lightweight champ.

Was reading Dan Rafael's Weekend Notebook and came across this:

HBO will close the year by offering replays of its biggest fights of 2007 over five consecutive nights next week. The schedule (all at 11 p.m. ET/PT unless noted): Kelly Pavlik-Jermain Taylor on Dec. 25, Joe Calzaghe-Mikkel Kessler on Dec. 26, Floyd Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya on Dec. 27, Miguel Cotto-Shane Mosley on Dec. 28 and Mayweather-Ricky Hatton on Dec. 29 (midnight ET/PT).
pimp.gif

Casamayor vs Katsidis

eyes.gif

I hope Michael steamrolls him

Margarito vs Juddah?

Cotto vs Clottey?

Why not just cut out the middle man and have Cotto vs Margarito?

Back
Top Bottom