2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

ESPN Chat with Jermaine Taylor before he heads for his extended Friday Night Fights tour of duty

laugh.gif

sn2.gif
Buzzmaster: I just heard from Jermain's people and we might be starting early. So be sure to get those questions in!

sn2.gif
Buzzmaster: We've got Jermain!

Gabe (Columbus, OH): Jermain, I'm real excited for part II. How can you counter Kelly's aggressive style? You know he's looking to back you up.

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: It's all about being in shape. In order to counter it, I have to be in shape. That's exactly where I am. I've trained harder than I ever have. That's the truth.

J: Champ how are you gonna defend Pavlik's double jab right hand combo

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: A lot of head movement. A lot of slipping. I've been working on the ropes and moving a lot.

blake (arkansas): ready for the celebration. thank you for being such a great icon for the state!

Robert Akron Ohio: Jermain, How does it feel to be an underdog?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I'll be honest. I've been in this position before. It's been a long time, but I've experienced this before.

Aaron Omaha NE: Jermain, Are you planning on using your speed and quickness to outbox Kelly this time around. Break the jab out.

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I'm in the best shape of my life. I've been working on what I'm supposed to do. I'll be able to do that all 12 rounds. I'll use the speed to move him. It's all about being in shape.

Chris (Appleton, WI): Do you feel that Pavlik is underestimating you this time around?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I definitely know that he knows about me this time. He knows that in that second round he almost went out. I don't think he's underestimating anything.

Louie Da Nard California: When you snap that jab it sets everything else up. Can you do all of us hard core JT super fans a favor and sanp that jab to set up your thundering power shots?? Why dont you use that jab more often????

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I promise you. It's going to be all about jabs. I feel like it's my bread and butter.

Alfredo (Waldorf, MD): Was there ever a doubt in your mind about taking the rematch immediately? I have to tell you, win or lose, you have really showed a lot of heart in doing so.

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: No doubt in my mind. That's why boxing has a bad name. People won't take the fights. I'm all about work. I'm going to take the fights people are supposed to take. If a person fights you, you go right back and fight that person, especially if he beats you for the championship.

Holly (Little Rock, Ar): How confident are you about the upcoming fight?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: Everything is great. You have nothing to worry about. I feel great. I feel like this is what I needed to get back on track.

Jock: New Orleans, LA: Jermain, I noticed in your first fight with Kelly, you were the busier fighter in the earlier rounds. Will you use the same strategy this time around?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I am. What I'm going to do this time is I'll have the energy and endurance to finish.

Shawn (Salt Lake City, UT): Jermain, Kelly's people are saying you are reverting to your amateur style and that is good for them. What do you say to that?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I just say I beat him in amateurs. If I'm going back to that, it's good.

Nick (Kansas City, MO): Do you feel like this move up in weight class is in your favor?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I feel like it's favorable on both our parts. He's a big guy too. It lets you train more. You eat more. You're relaxed and you focus more on the fight on not the weight.

Anthony (Austin): Are you expecting a different crowd atmosphere in Las Vegas rather than Atlantic City? Do you think that will have any impact at all?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: As far as the fight, it's just me and him and the ring.

blake (arkansas): Jermain, huge fan here! I am just ready for the victory celebration! Best of luck!

Jose (Mexico City): It`s any chance you fight in the future against Mayweather? I`m a fan of you JT you don´t need luck you will KO tha pavlik

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: That's a lot of weight. I don't know. There's a lot of weight classes in between there. But anything can happen in boxing.

Rob (Greenville,MS): What made you decide to be a boxer?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I had a cousin that boxed. He brought me down to the gym and it was love at first sight. He didn't make it anywhere. He was just a kid trying to get off the street. He brought me down there.

John (Carson, CA): You're usually the taller fighter. What have you done to adjust to fighting someone with a longer reach?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I've had taller sparring partners. I've been slipping up under the ropes. There's a lot of different things.

Chris (Appleton, WI): Does this fight define your career?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I do. This is the fight that's going to make or break me. I have to go in and give it all I can.

Kevin (Syracuse): How do you maintain that hunger to go to the gym everyday and keep it over time??

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I just got that hunger back. I feel like it took me losing to get it back. Now I'm back on track.

Ian, Philly: Will you go to the body more in this fight? Or will you go for the quick KO?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I feel like I'll go to the body a lot more than I did. I threw a few body shots and that's it. If I had gone to the body more in that second round when I got him hurt, I probably would have stopped him.

blake. ark.: where do you plan on going after this victory?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: Just going home.

Kyle (Bentonville, AR): JT, What do you have to say to your fans from Arkansas who never hated on you when you win and stick by you in defeat?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I thank you so much. I apologize if I let you down any. Those last few fights. I'm back on my toes now. I'm ready to go work hard. I thank you for being loyal fans.

Court (DC): JT, who do you think is the pound for pound king?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: Mayweather. I have to give it to him.

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: He shows up 100% every time. I have to give it to him. He has that hunger. I know it's hard to do.

Sean, Philadelphia, PA: Jermain, Let's say you KO Pavlik on Saturday night in a similar action fight - would Taylor-Pavlik III be inevitable?

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I would love that. I think about that all the time. I would love that. He is the middleweight champion. I'm not going back to middleweight, I'd be at 168, but I would love that.

sn2.gif
Jermain Taylor: I love all my fans. Thank you so much for your support.

sn2.gif
Buzzmaster: Thanks Jermain!
I wish someone would have asked him about what led to him cutting his ties with a Hall of Fame trainer like Manny Steward

Thanks for the post String.

I definitely envision Pavlik v. Taylor III because I think JT takes this one. I was extremely confident that he would win their 1st match up and my confidencewas almost rewarded in Round 2 but Jermain just punched himself out. I am not sure that the 166 catch weight significantly benefits one fighter more than theother but I think it will definitely reduce the chances of Taylor punching himself out that quickly, if that makes sense.

Dan Rafael's Updated P4P list...discuss:
TOP 10

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (39-0, 25 KOs)

Welterweight champion

Hits: Although many serious boxing fans are not enamored with the idea of a Mayweather rematch with Oscar De La Hoya, which is being planned for September, the fight will be another huge mainstream sports attraction. That is a great thing for boxing because there are so few fights that can capture the attention of the public at large.

Misses: A rematch with De La Hoya remains the most lucrative fight that Mayweather can make, but let's be real -- the one we all want to see is Mayweather-Miguel Cotto. As long as Cotto keeps winning, Mayweather won't be able to avoid him forever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Joe Calzaghe (44-0, 32 KOs)

Super middleweight champion

Hits: At long last, Calzaghe is coming to America to put his perfect record on the line while moving up in weight to face an all-time great in Bernard Hopkins, who is still one of the best fighters in the world. And to make the situation even sweeter, the fight will be on HBO, not on pay-per-view. Can't ask for much more than that.

Misses: Wouldn't it have been nice if Calzaghe had come over here to fight top opponents years ago instead of waiting until he was 35 and nearing the end of his career?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Manny Pacquiao (45-3-2, 34 KOs)

Junior lightweight

Hits: A lot of people take Pacquiao's accomplishments for granted, but you should keep one thing in mind: He made his professional debut at 106 pounds and has been a dominant fighter all the way up the scale. A win against Juan Manuel Marquez in their much-anticipated March 15 rematch would give Pacquiao a title in his fourth division (flyweight, junior featherweight, featherweight and junior lightweight).

Misses: Nothing to complain about here. Move along.

4. Bernard Hopkins (48-4-1, 32 KOs)

Light heavyweight champion

Hits: At 43, Hopkins is not closing his career with pointless, easy fights. He's taking on the best opponent he could possibly face in Calzaghe. He deserves credit for that.

Misses: Hopkins shamefully continues to unnecessarily bring skin color into his match with Calzaghe by refusing to back off his racist "I'll never lose to a white boy" quote. Disgusting and unacceptable.

5. Juan Manuel Marquez (48-3-1, 35 KOs)

Junior lightweight champion

Hits: If the March 15 rematch between Marquez and Pacquiao is half as good as their great 2004 featherweight championship fight, it will still be a fight of the year candidate.

Misses: It could be a rough March for the Marquez family. Juan Manuel could certainly lose to Pacquiao in a fight that comes two weeks after his younger brother, Rafael Marquez, goes into a junior featherweight championship rubber match against Israel Vazquez as the underdog.

6. Miguel Cotto (31-0, 25 KOs)

Welterweight titlist

Hits: While Mayweather sits idle counting his money and looking at a fall rematch with De La Hoya, Cotto is on a mission to clean out the star-studded welterweight division by beating everyone except Mayweather, who doesn't want to fight him at this point. Cotto has already bumped off Zab Judah and Shane Mosley and he blew away future titleholder Carlos Quintana. Next is a fun fight with Alfonso Gomez on April 12. A Cotto win will set the stage for a big July fight against the winner of the Antonio Margarito-Kermit Cintron rematch. While Cotto keeps lining 'em up, Mayweather won't even discuss a Cotto fight.

Misses: Mayweather-Cotto is one of the biggest fights in the sport, but it isn't happening, although it sure isn't Cotto's fault.

7. Winky Wright (51-4-1, 25 KOs)

Middleweight

Hits: Although some have written off Wright since his competitive loss to Hopkins last summer (which, by the way, came well over Wright's natural weight), it's hard to ignore this stat: It was the Winkster's first defeat since a highly controversial decision to an in-his-prime Fernando Vargas all the way back in 1999.

Misses: Wright hasn't fought since facing Hopkins in July 2007 and there's nothing in the works for him. The longer he sits out, the more he fades from our consciousness. He'd be best served by taking a smaller fight and getting back in the groove.

8. Israel Vazquez (42-4, 32 KOs)

Junior featherweight champion

Hits: Vazquez's impending trilogy with Rafael Marquez has a chance to go down in history alongside those such as Ali-Frazier, Zale-Graziano, Bowe-Holyfield, Barrera-Morales and Gatti-Ward as among the most exciting ever.

Misses: It's not the fault of the fighters because they deserve the attention, but as much as all of us fight freaks can't wait for the rubber match, it's almost impossible for these guys to gain any serious mainstream attention. That's a shame.

9. Rafael Marquez (37-4, 33 KOs)

Junior featherweight

Hits: Despite taking a lot of punishment and being stopped by Vazquez in the sixth round of the epic rematch in August, Marquez isn't taking a breather. He's going right back in with the guy who stopped him when few would have blamed him for taking another fight.

Misses: If he loses the rubber match to Vazquez, where does he go? Marquez is 32 and it's probably all downhill from there.

10. Kelly Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs)

Middleweight champion

Hits: Pavlik's knockout victory against Jermain Taylor to win the middleweight championship in September 2007 culminated an exciting and dramatic fight. There's no reason to think the rematch is going to be much different.

Misses: It wasn't the Pavlik camp's idea, but the rematch with Taylor is at 166 pounds and, therefore, not a championship fight. Pavlik didn't have a choice because those were the terms of the rematch clause in the original contract. It's a little disappointing though.

The next 10

11. Juan Diaz
12. Shane Mosley
13. Oscar De La Hoya
14. Ricky Hatton
15. Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon
16. Jermain Taylor
17. Chris John
18. Cory Spinks
19. Joan Guzman
20. Antonio Margarito

I don't see them fighting a third time, regardless of the outcome because Pavlik is already lining up his first title defense at 160.

I'm pretty sure this fight is coming from Taylor exercising his rematch clause.

I'm predicting that Kelly takes this one on Friday. Jermaine has been disappointing me since the Wright fight last summer.

Finally got around to watching the Williams/Quintana fight...i'm sorry, but that wasn't the same Paul Williams that I saw beat AntonioMargarito.Sluggish, lazy jab, no kind of consistancy when he would land a punch of some significance. I'm not gonna jump off his wagon just yet, butclearly the hype thst Goosen built for him got to his head. Props to Quintana, he was landing clean shots all night. AND YO! What was up with HaroldLederman's scorecard? At one point, I think he had Williams winning 4 rounds straight. Any ideas as to where Williams goes from here? That damn Quintanasure loves to play spoiler. First Joel Julio (Amo, what's up?) and now Paul Williams. It also makes Miguel Cotto look that much better cause he DOMINATEDin their fight.

I could definetely see a third fight. Even though Pavlik is already suppose to fight Duddy in June, it'd be a tough sell if Pavlik loses, and Taylor winsin impressive fashion. Are any of ya'll ordering the fight? I haven't decided yet, I want to say that it's not gonna live up to the hype of the1st, but it I don't...I feel like i'd be missing something. The fact that it's at a catch weight and not 160 kind of throws me off a bit.What's the undercard?

EDIT:
glasses.gif
to all the Miguel Cotto love over the last few pages. Myfavorite fighter as well, I will seriously put other plans on hold when he fights, it's THAT serious for me. I remember catching him on a small PPV cardfrom Puerto Rico in 03, he stopped Carlos Maussa on the undercard and i've been hooked since. I'm just glad he's finally getting the respect hedeseves. Before his HUGE 2007, people were calling him "overrated" I also remember there being a few who thought that he'd lose to CarlosQuintana...

EDIT #2: I hope you don't jump on me but Gunna, what's good w/ Andre Berto being ranked #1 by the WBC? Not even you can say that he's that highyet...

Hell Yea, Im buyin the fight. Only HBO card I havent bought in the last few yrs was Trinidad/Jones. But Imma fiend like that tho
laugh.gif
Im done with Williams,that was the Williams we saw the 2nd half of the Margarito fight. Quintaana just got to him early. I now realize how important it is to have a nice amatuerbackground. 3

EDIT #2: I hope you don't jump on me but Gunna, what's good w/ Andre Berto being ranked #1 by the WBC? Not even you can say that he's that high yet...
laugh.gif

Mannnn I almost choked on my Ice Tea when I was watchin the fight and heard that
%*#$@ aint even the numba 11 welterweight in the world.
laugh.gif

Does Jose Suliman still run the WBC? He used to be in Don King's back pocket, but I have no explanation for Berto being ranked #1.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

I think Cotto fits nicely around #3 on the P4P list considering his recent activity/victories.

Co-sign.
I like JMM, but who exactly are his recent wins against?

Rocky Juarez?
M A Barrera?

Same thing applies to Manny

[h1]Will the rematch be any different for Taylor?[/h1]

By George Willis
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 13, 2008
box_ap_taylor1_580.jpg

AP Photo/Laura Rauch

Does Taylor have an answer for Pavlik's double jab and hard right hand?
The first meeting between Jermain Taylor and Kelly Pavlik, in many eyes, was the fight of the year in 2007. Pavlik, down and seriously hurt in the second round, came back to score a dramatic seventh-round knockout to win the middleweight championship and become the first world champion from Youngstown, Ohio, since Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. The Feb. 16 non-title rematch at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas figures to be just as memorable. Here are five things to look for in Pavlik-Taylor II: [h2]1. Youngstown invasion[/h2]
[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Sharon Stabley

Expect Pavlik's diehard fans to follow him to Las Vegas.
When Pavlik dethroned Taylor last September in Atlantic City, it seemed like the entire population of Youngstown was in Boardwalk Hall that night. Expect an even bigger contingent from the Rust Belt to make its way to Las Vegas. Youngstown doesn't have much going for itself these days since the decline of the steel industry. One recent visitor said, "It's the saddest thing I've ever seen." There's no sadness surrounding Pavlik, who has given his community something to be proud of. "There's a big buzz going on," Pavlik said. "Now that I'm champion, there's a lot of pressure. But it's exciting." [table][tr][th=""]Pavlik-Taylor II[/th] [/tr][tr][td]TV Lineup for Saturday's HBO PPV card (9 p.m. ET) from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas: • Super middleweights: Kelly Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs) vs. Jermain Taylor (27-1-1, 17 KOs), rematch, 12 rounds • Junior bantamweights: Fernando Montiel (35-2-1, 26 KOs) vs. Martin Castillo (33-2, 17 KOs), 12 rounds, for Montiel's title • Junior bantamweights: Cristian Mijares (33-3-2, 13 KOs) vs. Jose Navarro (26-3, 12 KOs), 12 rounds, for Mijares' title • Junior middleweights: Ronald Hearns (17-0, 13 KOs) vs. Juan Astorga (11-1-1, 6 KOs), 8 rounds -- Dan Rafael[/td] [/tr][/table]Taylor was accustomed to being the more popular fighter until he was unnerved by the hostile Youngstown crowd in Atlantic City. He'll have to deal with a larger, more vocal pro-Pavlik gathering at the MGM Grand. Just how many of Taylor's fans make it down from Arkansas remains to be seen. When Taylor took and defended the middleweight title in his two fights with Bernard Hopkins, he was the darling of his home state and thousands of "hog" fans made the trip to Las Vegas for those two fights. But Taylor's popularity took a hit after his dismissal of Pat Burns as his trainer and lackluster performances against Winky Wright, Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks. Strangely, he won a portion of his Little Rock fans back with his effort against Pavlik, but whether they'll travel to Las Vegas is another matter. [h2]2. No early fireworks[/h2]Taylor nearly had Pavlik out in the second round of their first fight, dropping him with a left-right-left combination that stunned the challenger. Once Pavlik got to his feet, Taylor punched himself out trying to go for the kill. Don't expect such early fireworks this time. Both fighters have a healthy respect for each other's power and Taylor particularly will be looking to conserve some energy for the later rounds. Pavlik understands he can't get lazy with his jab like he did early in the first fight, leaving himself open for Taylor's big right hand. Nor will he stick out his chin, daring Taylor to hit it as he foolishly did last September. "That almost cost him," said Pavlik's trainer, Jack Loew. "He got caught up in the moment and wanted to show that he wasn't hurt without realizing that he really was hurt. He won't do that again." [h2]3. Taylor will try to turn back the clock[/h2]After becoming champion, Taylor abandoned his jab and tried to end every fight with a one-punch knockout. As a result, he hasn't won by TKO or knockout since stopping Daniel Edouard in February 2005 before he became champion. That's three years and six fights ago.
[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Chris Carlson

The last time Taylor stopped an opponent was when he knocked out Daniel Edouard nearly three years ago.
If Taylor has watched any film at all, he knows the best work of his career (and in his first fight with Pavlik) came when he boxed behind his long left jab. Using his jab and working the angles, Taylor was ahead on all three scorecards when he got lazy, backed into a corner, lowered his left hand and was knocked out by Pavlik's persistent power. The only way Taylor wins the rematch is to stay in the middle of the ring and use his athletic ability to keep Pavlik off-balance. This will take more poise and patience than Taylor has shown in recent fights, but it's the only chance he has to beat Pavlik, whose basic game plan is to launch hard right hands behind double jabs. "It's up to them [Team Taylor] to change," Loew said. "We're not going to change." [h2]4. Is Pavlik still hungry?[/h2]Life changes for a boxer once he becomes champion, and it certainly has changed for Pavlik. He has spent much of the last four months on the banquet circuit, being congratulated for winning the championship. He has rubbed elbows with the Ohio State football team, thrown out the first pitch at a Cleveland Indians playoff game, strolled the sidelines at Browns games and attended numerous charitable events. He even makes unpublicized visits to see patients at local hospitals. It would be easy to lose a little focus, a little hunger and a little dedication. That's what happened to Taylor. Pavlik insists he still has plenty to prove and even though his middleweight title won't be at stake in the rematch, a loss is unacceptable. "The hardest part about reaching your goal is keeping it," Pavlik said. "It's about keeping your head into it and staying focused. If you do that, there's nothing that can distract you." [h2]5. A late-round knockout[/h2]
[+] Enlarge

Joe Murphy/Getty Images

Will Pavlik's killer instinct kick in if the fight goes into the later rounds?
Both fighters, especially Taylor, will fight more cautiously in the early going, but once they reach the championship rounds, someone's going to start smelling a knockout. Conditioning will be key. Taylor said he wasn't in great shape for the first fight with Pavlik, which, if true, is an indictment of how much -- or little -- he cherished his title. "He never got his second wind," said Ozell Nelson, Taylor's amateur coach and father-figure who has replaced Emanuel Steward as the lead trainer. "This time, I'm going to make sure everything is right. I'm going to turn over every rock." At a catchweight of 166 pounds, both boxers shouldn't have to dry out before the fight, which should help their stamina. But both are bound to tire in the later rounds from the sheer competitiveness of the fight. And as evidenced in the first fight, it won't take much of an opening to end the bout in dramatic fashion. George Willis is the boxing columnist for The New York Post.

My boxing gym finally re-opened after a 2month hiatus due to re-modeling
sick.gif

Feels like i'm starting from scratch again. Haven't been able to run much either with all the rain going on the last month so my conditioning is shotand my interest in boxing has waned
laugh.gif

anyways...on to the fight -
I think Pavlik takes this fight. He's just stronger mentally and physically than Taylor. It would be great for boxing if Taylor won though, Pavlik vs.Taylor 3 would be epic imo.

^^^ we posted it at the same time you beat me to it man lol.

Fight makes no sense at all, John Duddy would be a more entertaining fight especially if they fight at the Garden he has a huge following in NYC and Youngstownwill def make the trip. I don't know why they let this slip the day before the fight I hope Pavlik doesn't have any distractions or anything...

LAS VEGAS -- Middleweight world champion Kelly Pavlik faces Jermain Taylor on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in their 166-pound non-title rematch, but his promoter, Top Rank's Bob Arum, is laying the groundwork for Pavlik's next fight.
It could come against former three-division champion Felix Trinidad on June 7 at New York's Madison Square Garden, Arum told ESPN.com on Friday. Win or lose, Pavlik will remain middleweight champion and Arum is planning his first defense. The leading candidate remains popular rising contender "Irish" John Duddy, who is a big attraction in New York.
Pavlik and Taylor weighed in at 164 pounds Friday, four pounds over the middleweight limit, a stipulation agreed to by both fighters.
Arum said he has spoken to Don King, Trinidad's promoter, about making Pavlik-Trinidad, which would take place the night before the annual Puerto Rican Day parade in New York. "We've talked," Arum said. "Then King went down to Puerto Rico to meet with Trinidad last week. Then we spoke this week before he went to Germany and he said the meeting with the Trinidads went positively." King is in Germany, where he has Sergei Liakhovich fighting Nikolai Valuev in a heavyweight elimination fight on Saturday night. Arum said he and King will meet face-to-face in New York next Friday to further discuss the bout. Trinidad, an icon in Puerto Rico with a tremendous following in New York, is coming off a decision loss to Roy Jones on Jan. 19, but the former three-division champion looked good in a bout fought at 170 pounds, 10 pounds heavier than Trinidad had ever fought at before. For the past few years, Arum has had Miguel Cotto, his Puerto Rican star, headline on the Puerto Rican Day parade weekend. But this year, Cotto is scheduled to fight Alfonso Gomez on April 12 and the turnaround to June 7 is too quick. Arum plans to keep the date at Madison Square Garden and put Pavlik in the headline fight with an undercard built around some of his Puerto Rican fighters, such as junior flyweight champion Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon and junior featherweight contender Juan Manuel Lopez. Arum is coming to New York next week to watch Duddy fight on the undercard of next Saturday's Wladimir Klitschko-Sultan Ibragimov undercard at the Garden. Arum said Pavlik-Duddy would be an HBO fight, possibly with middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham on the undercard to give him exposure ahead of a possible fall fight with Pavlik. Abraham's next defense, announced Friday, will come March 29 in Kiel, Germany, against Elvin Ayala, who is coming off a draw with first-season "Contender" winner Sergio Mora. Pavlik-Trinidad would be an HBO PPV fight, Arum said. There is concern about whether Trinidad can make 160 pounds. He struggled to make 170 for Jones. But Arum said the fight would have to be at 160. Pavlik is unaware of the discussions, Arum said, but Top Rank's matchmakers and Pavlik's manager, Cameron Dunkin, are aware of the talks and like the match. "If Trinidad can make that weight and provided the [revenue] split is right, we would love to make the fight," Arum said. "But I won't know for sure until I meet with King."
Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

that fight would be a waste of god damn time.

Since this rematch was made Bob Arum has been talking about who Pavilk was going to fight next.

Yea that's all gravy every other day besides the day of the weigh in and the day before the fight. I'm not saying it will distract him just saying Idon't want him to think it's not a fight for his belt and look ahead.

Anyone watching ESPN 2 FNF?

t4wh1d.jpg

2e3a2qx.jpg

fn92bn.jpg

71joy9.jpg

Brian Viloria
pimp.gif
vs. Lopez
In an eight-round flyweight bout, former champ Brian Viloria (20-2-1, 12 KOs), of Hawaii, will take on El Paso's Cesar "Gallito" Lopez (20-5, 4KOs). Both fighters were 111.5 lbs.

2co205z.jpg

I just watched that Berto v Tomato Can and whoever put that together should be prosecuted. That was assault, No Way Near Fair!
smh.gif

I actually like Trinidad-Pavlik more than Pavlik-Duddy. I don't know if you guys have seen Duddy, but he is terrible. Trinidad would be the tougheropponent, and i think it would be a pretty good fight. Plus, Trinidad's power would be more effective at 160, and Pavlik is there to be hit. I would muchrather have that than Pavlik-Duddy. That will be a massacre if it goes down. You should have to actually beat someone good before you get a title shot.

Tito is done tho. he had no power in his punches VS RJJ and he was so slow he made people think RJJ had got his speed back.

Tito was 10 pounds above his best weight though. I'm not saying Tito would have much a chance, but i'd give him better odds than duddy who is simply abum. If you're gonna fight a not so great fighter, i'd rather it be a guy with a name and rep who may be able to turn back the hands of time once more,instead of a bum who will always be a bum and no one knows.

Originally Posted by MayweatherMiami

lol i hope kelly knows he was going up in wait
t4wh1d.jpg

lol i hope jermaine knows that kelly is still going to throw right hand bombz

A qoute from Burt Sugar on yesterday's chat on ESPN
Pavlik is there to be hit, which Taylor did in the first fight. Jermain has to show more stamina (maybe the 166 pounds will help him). But he's got to show some better defense and turn Pavlik rather than meeting him head on. Although Pavlik looks like Olive Oyl, he hits like Popeye.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom