2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

Got me hyped for the fights
laugh.gif
some articles below:

Tim Bradley is angry.

Spoiler [+]
Timothy Bradley Jr. is angry.

Don't take my word for it. He says so himself.

"I've been angry for the last eight or nine months," he told reporters at the MGM Grand on Thursday. "I've been angry. I've got a chip on my damn shoulder, I really do."

What is he angry about? Well, how much time have you got?

For one thing, he is angry about what he continues to feel was the ineffective way he was promoted in his career prior to joining Top Rank, for whom he will fight his first fight, against Cuban veteran Joel Casamayor, in the chief support bout for Manny Pacquaio's clash with archrival Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday.

"I felt like I was standing still. I've been standing still for a while. I've only fought twice in the last two years, guys. And I don't understand why," Bradley said. "I came off one of the biggest fights in my career [January's junior welterweight unification victory over Devon Alexander], and I didn't really move anywhere. Fighting the Devon fight didn't do nothing for my career, man. Nothing. Didn't do anything for me. I don't know, man. This boxing game can be tricky, it can use and abuse you. Only the strong survive in this game, and I've learned that now."

Signing with Top Rank, Bradley believes, will give him the push over the top so that he receives the acclaim and fame he clearly thinks he deserves. "I've got a true, real-life promoter now that's going to push me and push me and push me to be superstar in this game," he said. "I'm a three-time world champion. I shouldn't be able to walk down these dang corridors right here. People should know who I am. People should know exactly who I am. I'm a three-time world champion."

But that isn't all. If not angry exactly, Bradley is certainly unhappy about the fact that, as he puts it, "I'm still fighting for respect."

"All the criticism, everything everybody said about me, I want to prove everybody wrong," he said. "People saying I don't deserve a shot at Manny, don't deserve a shot at this, or I'm going to get knocked out: Prove it to me. I don't fear any man. I don't. I don't fear Joel Casamayor. Do I feel he's a threat? Absolutely not. I'm going to destroy Casamayaor on Saturday. Period. Hands down. There's nothing he can do to beat me."

Bradley does, however, acknowledge that he lost a fair deal of the respect he had built up when he turned down an offer to fight rival titlist Amir Khan earlier this year. But as he insists, "I'm going to win it all back. I probably have lost respect from fans, yeah. Even after the Devon fight, people lost respect for me. But it's OK, it's alright."

That path begins Saturday, with a bout he recognizes he needs to win impressively to grab people's attention and perhaps put himself in line for a bout with the man who headlines Saturday's pay-per-view show:

"It's been a while," Bradley said. "This is serious business. I'm ready to go, man. Casamayor, I respect him. I respect him as a fighter, but his time is over. It's Timothy Bradley time. It's 'Desert Storm' time. I'm in the best shape I could possibly be in, man. There's nothing that I fear. There's no one that I fear. I don't fear anybody. Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather -- I'm ready for anybody. Any time. Right now, man. I'm ready. And I'm going to have a great performance Saturday night. I feel it. He can't stop me.

"I'm stronger than ever. Everything that I went through these last nine months has made me strong. My character is stronger than ever. I've grown. I've grown a heckuva lot, man. I'm a little emotional right now because I want it. You know what I'm saying? I want it."

What if JMM wins?

Spoiler [+]
LAS VEGAS -- Twice before, Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez waged spectacular action fights, both of which ended in controversial decisions.

There was the 2004 draw in a featherweight championship fight that featured Marquez climbing off the canvas three times in the first round to storm back, and Pacquiao's 2008 split-decision victory to claim the junior lightweight title.

Pacquiao-Marquez III
TV lineup for the Top Rank-promoted HBO PPV card on Saturday night (9 ET, $54.95) from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas:

• Welterweights: Manny Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) vs. Juan Manuel Marquez (53-5-1, 39 KOs), 12 rounds, for Pacquiao's title; Referee: Tony Weeks; Judges: Dave Moretti, Robert Hoyle, Glenn Trowbridge

• Junior welterweights: Timothy Bradley Jr. (27-0, 11 KOs) vs. Joel Casamayor (38-5-1, 22 KOs), 12 rounds, for Bradley's title

• Junior welterweights: Mike Alvarado (31-0, 22 KOs) vs. Breidis Prescott (24-3, 19 KOs), 10 rounds

• Junior lightweights: Luis Cruz (19-0, 15 KOs) vs. Juan Carlos Burgos (27-1, 19 KOs), 10 rounds

Both fights were highly competitive. Since their rematch, Pacquiao has climbed through the lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight divisions en route to winning titles in a record eight weight classes, while Marquez -- a three-division champion -- eventually claimed the lightweight championship he holds today.

But in his one step up to welterweight, Marquez was schooled in a lopsided decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2009.

Now Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) will defend his welterweight crown against Marquez (53-5-1, 39 KOs), who has bulked up again, on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in a much-anticipated third showdown.

But even considering the closeness of their first two fights, Pacquiao -- who has been fighting and dominating top welterweights since destroying the heavily favored Oscar De La Hoya and sending him into retirement in December 2008 -- is a heavy favorite in Chapter 3.

Last week, the stakes were raised when Mayweather, whose potential showdown with Pacquiao has been brewing for years and looms as boxing's biggest-money fight ever, said he planned to fight on May 5 at the MGM Grand, ideally against Pacquiao. But Pacquiao, obviously, has to win or the sport's biggest fight would go down the tubes.

But take a moment to contemplate this: What happens if Marquez pulls the upset?

Although the MGM sports book lists him as about a 9-1 underdog -- a huge long shot by boxing standards -- the Mexican star has given the Filipino icon the toughest fights of his recent career, other than Pacquiao's last defeat -- a close decision to Erik Morales in a 2005 junior lightweight bout.

Clearly, Marquez knows how to fight Pacquiao.

"That's why we are doing this third fight," Marquez said. "The first two were very close and this fight should end all doubt. We are not the only ones saying we won the fights. There are a lot of fans and media out there saying the same thing -- that we won those two fights."

Said Nacho Beristain, Marquez's Hall of Fame trainer: "Without question, we have prepared ourselves to win this fight again. They can say what they want. If they feel they won the first two fights, so be it -- we feel the same way and that's the way you should go into a fight."

Should Marquez win, the next step would seem pretty clear: Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao and signed Marquez for this fight, holds an option for an immediate rematch, which would theoretically take place next spring.

Arum guaranteed Marquez $5 million for Saturday night's fight (plus an upside of the pay-per-view profits). If Marquez wins and the option is exercised, Arum would owe him $10 million on the rematch and an even more generous slice of the PPV money.

Pacquiao and Marquez would be 1-1-1 against each other and would likely settle the score with a fourth fight, something rare in modern boxing.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Jae C. Hong
If Juan Manuel Marquez, right, can slip Manny Pacquiao to finally earn a win in their rivalry, it could turn the boxing world on its ear.

In the event Marquez wins Saturday, "It would be a whole different world -- and not necessarily a bad world," Arum said. "In other words, I've been around this business so often that, they win, they lose and you play the hands that's dealt to you. And certainly if Manny loses, that's not something that's gonna make me happy because, personally, I'm so attached to him. But the fact that there's a rematch is a little bit of a balm."

Said Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser: "I don't think it would hurt the landscape of boxing. We have a rematch clause. I don't have any fears or doubts, but there is no guarantee. Things happen, and if [Pacquiao loses], it's not going to hurt the sport of boxing."

Arum acknowledged, however, that the potential Pacquiao-Mayweather fight -- which Arum said he wants to make, even if some doubt him -- would be ruined, at least for now, if Pacquiao lost.

"Really, truly, I haven't given any thought to Manny's next step assuming he wins the fight," Arum said. "Obviously, we'll see if conversations -- adult conversations -- can take place with the Mayweather side if Manny wins. And if they can't take place, then there are other opponents we'll look at."

But if Pacquiao loses?

"It certainly would not be on the immediate radar," Arum said. "You play the hand that's dealt to you. One thing I have no control over is what happens inside that ring."

Pacquiao said he isn't thinking about Mayweather, only about beating Marquez convincingly and making sure there is no need for a fourth fight.

"I remember when I was 24 or 25 and how I trained hard, and this training camp I felt like that," Pacquiao said. "I'm very inspired to train hard and do sacrifices in training, and I started early for this training camp. It's because of what I need to prove. So that's why I train hard.

"Marquez is a tough opponent. I can say Marquez is not an easy opponent."

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, has been predicting that Pacquiao -- because he is extra-motivated to make a statement by knocking out a fighter that Mayweather couldn't -- will stop Marquez inside six rounds.

But Roach has thought about what it would be like if Pacquiao lost.

Rafael's boxing blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"That would change a lot of things," he said. "All of a sudden, Mayweather would be the guy. It would be devastating for boxing because Manny's a hero right now. He's global, not just Filipino anymore. He would lose a big audience."

Arum did not agree with that assessment. He said because of how Pacquiao fights, he would retain his popularity.

"When he lost to Morales, that did not diminish his popularity, but that was when he was a much younger fighter and he a had a much bigger career ahead of him," Arum said. "Whether it will affect his popularity if he loses, I'd rather think not -- particularly if, knowing Manny, he will go out on his shield."

But Roach made the point that when Pacquiao lost to Morales, he was nowhere near the global phenomenon he has become.

"He wasn't quite at the level he is now," Roach said. "I think a loss would be devastating."

If Pacquiao-Marquez III is another entertaining fight, as their first two bouts were, Pacquiao and Marquez can embellish their reputations, said Mark Taffet, who oversees HBO PPV and has been involved in virtually all of their big fights.

"Whenever two great fighters get in the ring and give their all, there are no losers, regardless of the outcome of the fight," Taffet said. "If the fans get the performance that they hope for, their interest in those fighters never wanes. And there are always big fights down the road.

"Both Pacquiao and Marquez are heroes. And they carry their countries on their backs whenever they get into the ring. Marquez has had great fight after great fight and many, many big fights. As he is proving again as he gets ready to get in the ring with Manny Pacquiao, when he gets in the right fights and the right matchups, they are megafights and there is tremendous media and fan anticipation. With a country behind him, and all the fans he has, if Marquez is successful against Pacquiao there will be tremendous fan interest in his next fight."

If Pacquiao happens to lose, though, Roach said that his fighter might not need a fourth fight with Marquez after all.

"You get more offers off losses than a win sometimes," Roach said.

Then he cracked a smile, laughed and said, "Maybe then Mayweather will fight us."

Got me hyped for the fights
laugh.gif
some articles below:

Tim Bradley is angry.

Spoiler [+]
Timothy Bradley Jr. is angry.

Don't take my word for it. He says so himself.

"I've been angry for the last eight or nine months," he told reporters at the MGM Grand on Thursday. "I've been angry. I've got a chip on my damn shoulder, I really do."

What is he angry about? Well, how much time have you got?

For one thing, he is angry about what he continues to feel was the ineffective way he was promoted in his career prior to joining Top Rank, for whom he will fight his first fight, against Cuban veteran Joel Casamayor, in the chief support bout for Manny Pacquaio's clash with archrival Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday.

"I felt like I was standing still. I've been standing still for a while. I've only fought twice in the last two years, guys. And I don't understand why," Bradley said. "I came off one of the biggest fights in my career [January's junior welterweight unification victory over Devon Alexander], and I didn't really move anywhere. Fighting the Devon fight didn't do nothing for my career, man. Nothing. Didn't do anything for me. I don't know, man. This boxing game can be tricky, it can use and abuse you. Only the strong survive in this game, and I've learned that now."

Signing with Top Rank, Bradley believes, will give him the push over the top so that he receives the acclaim and fame he clearly thinks he deserves. "I've got a true, real-life promoter now that's going to push me and push me and push me to be superstar in this game," he said. "I'm a three-time world champion. I shouldn't be able to walk down these dang corridors right here. People should know who I am. People should know exactly who I am. I'm a three-time world champion."

But that isn't all. If not angry exactly, Bradley is certainly unhappy about the fact that, as he puts it, "I'm still fighting for respect."

"All the criticism, everything everybody said about me, I want to prove everybody wrong," he said. "People saying I don't deserve a shot at Manny, don't deserve a shot at this, or I'm going to get knocked out: Prove it to me. I don't fear any man. I don't. I don't fear Joel Casamayor. Do I feel he's a threat? Absolutely not. I'm going to destroy Casamayaor on Saturday. Period. Hands down. There's nothing he can do to beat me."

Bradley does, however, acknowledge that he lost a fair deal of the respect he had built up when he turned down an offer to fight rival titlist Amir Khan earlier this year. But as he insists, "I'm going to win it all back. I probably have lost respect from fans, yeah. Even after the Devon fight, people lost respect for me. But it's OK, it's alright."

That path begins Saturday, with a bout he recognizes he needs to win impressively to grab people's attention and perhaps put himself in line for a bout with the man who headlines Saturday's pay-per-view show:

"It's been a while," Bradley said. "This is serious business. I'm ready to go, man. Casamayor, I respect him. I respect him as a fighter, but his time is over. It's Timothy Bradley time. It's 'Desert Storm' time. I'm in the best shape I could possibly be in, man. There's nothing that I fear. There's no one that I fear. I don't fear anybody. Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather -- I'm ready for anybody. Any time. Right now, man. I'm ready. And I'm going to have a great performance Saturday night. I feel it. He can't stop me.

"I'm stronger than ever. Everything that I went through these last nine months has made me strong. My character is stronger than ever. I've grown. I've grown a heckuva lot, man. I'm a little emotional right now because I want it. You know what I'm saying? I want it."

What if JMM wins?

Spoiler [+]
LAS VEGAS -- Twice before, Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez waged spectacular action fights, both of which ended in controversial decisions.

There was the 2004 draw in a featherweight championship fight that featured Marquez climbing off the canvas three times in the first round to storm back, and Pacquiao's 2008 split-decision victory to claim the junior lightweight title.

Pacquiao-Marquez III
TV lineup for the Top Rank-promoted HBO PPV card on Saturday night (9 ET, $54.95) from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas:

• Welterweights: Manny Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) vs. Juan Manuel Marquez (53-5-1, 39 KOs), 12 rounds, for Pacquiao's title; Referee: Tony Weeks; Judges: Dave Moretti, Robert Hoyle, Glenn Trowbridge

• Junior welterweights: Timothy Bradley Jr. (27-0, 11 KOs) vs. Joel Casamayor (38-5-1, 22 KOs), 12 rounds, for Bradley's title

• Junior welterweights: Mike Alvarado (31-0, 22 KOs) vs. Breidis Prescott (24-3, 19 KOs), 10 rounds

• Junior lightweights: Luis Cruz (19-0, 15 KOs) vs. Juan Carlos Burgos (27-1, 19 KOs), 10 rounds

Both fights were highly competitive. Since their rematch, Pacquiao has climbed through the lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight divisions en route to winning titles in a record eight weight classes, while Marquez -- a three-division champion -- eventually claimed the lightweight championship he holds today.

But in his one step up to welterweight, Marquez was schooled in a lopsided decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2009.

Now Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) will defend his welterweight crown against Marquez (53-5-1, 39 KOs), who has bulked up again, on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in a much-anticipated third showdown.

But even considering the closeness of their first two fights, Pacquiao -- who has been fighting and dominating top welterweights since destroying the heavily favored Oscar De La Hoya and sending him into retirement in December 2008 -- is a heavy favorite in Chapter 3.

Last week, the stakes were raised when Mayweather, whose potential showdown with Pacquiao has been brewing for years and looms as boxing's biggest-money fight ever, said he planned to fight on May 5 at the MGM Grand, ideally against Pacquiao. But Pacquiao, obviously, has to win or the sport's biggest fight would go down the tubes.

But take a moment to contemplate this: What happens if Marquez pulls the upset?

Although the MGM sports book lists him as about a 9-1 underdog -- a huge long shot by boxing standards -- the Mexican star has given the Filipino icon the toughest fights of his recent career, other than Pacquiao's last defeat -- a close decision to Erik Morales in a 2005 junior lightweight bout.

Clearly, Marquez knows how to fight Pacquiao.

"That's why we are doing this third fight," Marquez said. "The first two were very close and this fight should end all doubt. We are not the only ones saying we won the fights. There are a lot of fans and media out there saying the same thing -- that we won those two fights."

Said Nacho Beristain, Marquez's Hall of Fame trainer: "Without question, we have prepared ourselves to win this fight again. They can say what they want. If they feel they won the first two fights, so be it -- we feel the same way and that's the way you should go into a fight."

Should Marquez win, the next step would seem pretty clear: Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao and signed Marquez for this fight, holds an option for an immediate rematch, which would theoretically take place next spring.

Arum guaranteed Marquez $5 million for Saturday night's fight (plus an upside of the pay-per-view profits). If Marquez wins and the option is exercised, Arum would owe him $10 million on the rematch and an even more generous slice of the PPV money.

Pacquiao and Marquez would be 1-1-1 against each other and would likely settle the score with a fourth fight, something rare in modern boxing.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Jae C. Hong
If Juan Manuel Marquez, right, can slip Manny Pacquiao to finally earn a win in their rivalry, it could turn the boxing world on its ear.

In the event Marquez wins Saturday, "It would be a whole different world -- and not necessarily a bad world," Arum said. "In other words, I've been around this business so often that, they win, they lose and you play the hands that's dealt to you. And certainly if Manny loses, that's not something that's gonna make me happy because, personally, I'm so attached to him. But the fact that there's a rematch is a little bit of a balm."

Said Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser: "I don't think it would hurt the landscape of boxing. We have a rematch clause. I don't have any fears or doubts, but there is no guarantee. Things happen, and if [Pacquiao loses], it's not going to hurt the sport of boxing."

Arum acknowledged, however, that the potential Pacquiao-Mayweather fight -- which Arum said he wants to make, even if some doubt him -- would be ruined, at least for now, if Pacquiao lost.

"Really, truly, I haven't given any thought to Manny's next step assuming he wins the fight," Arum said. "Obviously, we'll see if conversations -- adult conversations -- can take place with the Mayweather side if Manny wins. And if they can't take place, then there are other opponents we'll look at."

But if Pacquiao loses?

"It certainly would not be on the immediate radar," Arum said. "You play the hand that's dealt to you. One thing I have no control over is what happens inside that ring."

Pacquiao said he isn't thinking about Mayweather, only about beating Marquez convincingly and making sure there is no need for a fourth fight.

"I remember when I was 24 or 25 and how I trained hard, and this training camp I felt like that," Pacquiao said. "I'm very inspired to train hard and do sacrifices in training, and I started early for this training camp. It's because of what I need to prove. So that's why I train hard.

"Marquez is a tough opponent. I can say Marquez is not an easy opponent."

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, has been predicting that Pacquiao -- because he is extra-motivated to make a statement by knocking out a fighter that Mayweather couldn't -- will stop Marquez inside six rounds.

But Roach has thought about what it would be like if Pacquiao lost.

Rafael's boxing blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"That would change a lot of things," he said. "All of a sudden, Mayweather would be the guy. It would be devastating for boxing because Manny's a hero right now. He's global, not just Filipino anymore. He would lose a big audience."

Arum did not agree with that assessment. He said because of how Pacquiao fights, he would retain his popularity.

"When he lost to Morales, that did not diminish his popularity, but that was when he was a much younger fighter and he a had a much bigger career ahead of him," Arum said. "Whether it will affect his popularity if he loses, I'd rather think not -- particularly if, knowing Manny, he will go out on his shield."

But Roach made the point that when Pacquiao lost to Morales, he was nowhere near the global phenomenon he has become.

"He wasn't quite at the level he is now," Roach said. "I think a loss would be devastating."

If Pacquiao-Marquez III is another entertaining fight, as their first two bouts were, Pacquiao and Marquez can embellish their reputations, said Mark Taffet, who oversees HBO PPV and has been involved in virtually all of their big fights.

"Whenever two great fighters get in the ring and give their all, there are no losers, regardless of the outcome of the fight," Taffet said. "If the fans get the performance that they hope for, their interest in those fighters never wanes. And there are always big fights down the road.

"Both Pacquiao and Marquez are heroes. And they carry their countries on their backs whenever they get into the ring. Marquez has had great fight after great fight and many, many big fights. As he is proving again as he gets ready to get in the ring with Manny Pacquiao, when he gets in the right fights and the right matchups, they are megafights and there is tremendous media and fan anticipation. With a country behind him, and all the fans he has, if Marquez is successful against Pacquiao there will be tremendous fan interest in his next fight."

If Pacquiao happens to lose, though, Roach said that his fighter might not need a fourth fight with Marquez after all.

"You get more offers off losses than a win sometimes," Roach said.

Then he cracked a smile, laughed and said, "Maybe then Mayweather will fight us."

Manny out to prove a point versus JMM.

Spoiler [+]
LAS VEGAS -- The wait has been three years for a third helping of the great Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez rivalry, but will it be worth it? And will the outcome provide closure to one of boxing's greatest modern rivalries?

They have met twice before in epic battles that ended in controversial decisions, a draw in their 2004 featherweight championship fight and a Pacquiao split-decision victory in the rematch, a 2008 junior lightweight championship bout.

And now they meet again Saturday night (HBO PPV, 9 ET, $54.95) for Pacquiao's welterweight title at the sold-out MGM Garden Arena, the same site as the first fight. Each has something to prove in one of boxing's all-time trilogies.

Pacquiao-Marquez III

"The first two fights were as close as any two fights could be," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said. "This fight will conclusively demonstrate who the better fighter is and settle a point of contention which has been going on for years."

Said Pacquiao: "This will be an exciting fight because our styles make for exciting fights. He likes to fight toe-to-toe, as I do. We both like action and to engage our opponents. I expect Marquez to be faster and stronger than the last time we fought. He is the ultimate competitor. I am prepared to go another brutal 12 rounds just like the previous two fights.

"There will be a lot of action in this fight. We both have a lot of pride when we enter the ring representing our countries, fighting for the honor of our nations."

Pound-for-pound king Pacquiao, the singing congressman from the Philippines and the only eight-division titlist in boxing history, is a significant favorite. He aims to leave no doubt about his superiority against lightweight champion Marquez, the popular Mexican star and three-division champ who is moving up in weight.

"Marquez has the right to make alibis about not winning our two previous fights," Pacquiao said. "It's because of those alibis that I am so motivated for our upcoming fight. I want to end all the questions he has raised about who won our past fights and who the better fighter is. I have something to prove in this fight."

Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) has every reason to believe he is the better man, even if many believe Marquez was the rightful winner the first two times. It is Pacquiao who is 1-0-1 against Marquez (53-5-1, 39 KOs), having knocked him down a total of four times -- three times in the first round of the first fight and once in the third round of the rematch.

"I just want to clear out the doubts in the minds of some fans," Pacquiao said.

There are three significant differences between then and now, which Pacquiao believes will make a big difference for him.

One is that he is now a seasoned welterweight (although the fight is contracted at 144 pounds, three fewer than the division limit) used to fighting bigger men.

"I'm bigger. I've been fighting bigger guys for a few years now -- [Antonio] Margarito, [Oscar] De La Hoya, [Shane] Mosley, Miguel Cotto," Pacquiao said. "They're all big."

And Pacquiao beat all of them in resounding fashion.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Isaac Brekken
As promoter Bob Arum said of the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez rivalry, "The first two fights were as close as any two fights could be."

Another attribute that Pacquiao, 32, points to as an advantage is his evolution as a fighter. Back when he and Marquez previously met, Pacquiao was essentially a one-handed fighter. He's a southpaw and his left hand is deadly, but his right hand was not much of a weapon. He and trainer Freddie Roach have worked on it for years, and it has since become very dangerous and a big part of his arsenal.

"It's a big difference. My right hand is well-developed and I know how to fight," Pacquiao said. "I am a more complete fighter than when we fought previously. I am now a two-fisted fighter. My right is as potent, as powerful and as dangerous as my left. I have as much confidence in my right as I do in my left."

There is also the fact that Marquez, 38, who can brawl with the best of them, is a counterpuncher at heart and gave Pacquiao problems.

"I've been studying since the last two fights how to fight a counterpuncher," Pacquiao said. "Before, we didn't study how to fight a counterpuncher. Now we have perfected how to fight a counterpuncher."

There is another factor, although it is an intangible: Pacquiao's desire to make a statement. Although he takes the high road and has shown Marquez immense respect, there is a palpable sense that Pacquiao wants the knockout.

Those around him say he felt disrespected by Marquez, who has cried for years that he was robbed in both fights, who took to wearing a T-shirt at public appearances that proclaimed in bold letters, MARQUEZ BEAT PACQUIAO TWICE.

"He is tremendously invested in this fight, emotionally invested in this fight," Arum said of Pacquiao. "He wants to win and win convincingly."

Roach has been outspoken about the desire for a knockout victory.

"Manny never predicts and will never say anything bad about this guy, but [Marquez] slapped him in the face when he went to the Philippines wearing a shirt that said 'I beat Manny twice,'" Roach said. "Manny doesn't like this guy, I know that. It's been a little extra motivation for him. And I think after [Floyd] Mayweather couldn't knock this guy out, I think we need to knock this guy out, especially after the last fights [decisions against Mosley in May and Margarito last November] where Manny carried both guys. At this stage, we need a good ending. A knockout is always good."

Rafael's boxing blog

Not surprisingly, Roach said he strongly believes Pacquiao won both fights.

"I think Manny won both fights, though Manny made them closer than they should have been," Roach said. "I'm worried that Marquez could have Manny's number. He is the only fighter who seems to have figured out Manny's style. That is why I am training Manny for the knockout -- to clear the air on who is better. Manny is going to shut up Marquez once and for all. I'm sick of his whining."

Marquez, a significant underdog at the MGM's sports book, is out to prove that his excellent performances against Pacquiao were no accident and that he can finally get an official win against his greatest rival -- even if it comes in a weight class where, in his only previous fight, he got knocked down and lost a virtual shutout decision to Mayweather in 2009.

"We are going to clear all the doubts from the first two fights, and I feel very good about it," said Marquez, who has added muscle as he has bulked up. He believes the Mayweather fight should be discounted, saying he did not put on the weight properly last time.

"I had problems moving up, but I would rather fight Pacquiao three or four more times than fight Mayweather once," Marquez said. "Mayweather is a defensive fighter -- he doesn't let you fight. But we know Pacquiao comes to fight and he is a spectacular fighter. He is always going to give you a fight, and that's why I know it will be a war between us."

[+] Enlarge
Mark Ralston/Getty Images
Juan Manuel Marquez struggled against Michael Katsidis, but he also demonstrated a key trait that has made him a worthy match for Manny Pacquiao: his unbreakable will.

Marquez said he isn't concerned about the fact that he is an older fighter now. He blitzed through Likar Ramos in the first round in a July junior welterweight fight that was a farce, as Ramos basically laid down. In Marquez's most recent real fight, he stopped Michael Katsidis in the ninth round of a lightweight title defense last November -- but he was badly hurt, dropped in the third round and nearly knocked out.

"I don't believe age has anything to do with it," Marquez said. "I prepare myself very well and I'm going to be just as good as I would have been a few years ago. As long as I had the good training camp that I had, I'll be fine."

As sick as Pacquiao is of hearing about it, Marquez doesn't back off his claim that he was the rightful winner of the first two fights.

"Well, if he is upset about what I said about winning the first two fights, I am upset that I didn't get the decision," Marquez said. "I am motivated just as much as he is. We all have opinions and my opinion is that I didn't get the decisions I deserved.

"All the preparation has been done. Now it's just about having the fight of my life to settle everything once and for all."

While Pacquiao isn't willing to make any sort of predictions -- a politician at heart, it seems -- Roach is happy to do it for him.

"Marquez will be surprised when he faces this version of Manny," Roach said. "He no longer fights in one direction or with one hand. Manny has become a complete fighter. He moves laterally in both directions and he throws potent punches with both hands. Manny has so many more weapons than the last time they fought. I think Manny knocks out Marquez in the sixth round."

Manny out to prove a point versus JMM.

Spoiler [+]
LAS VEGAS -- The wait has been three years for a third helping of the great Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez rivalry, but will it be worth it? And will the outcome provide closure to one of boxing's greatest modern rivalries?

They have met twice before in epic battles that ended in controversial decisions, a draw in their 2004 featherweight championship fight and a Pacquiao split-decision victory in the rematch, a 2008 junior lightweight championship bout.

And now they meet again Saturday night (HBO PPV, 9 ET, $54.95) for Pacquiao's welterweight title at the sold-out MGM Garden Arena, the same site as the first fight. Each has something to prove in one of boxing's all-time trilogies.

Pacquiao-Marquez III

"The first two fights were as close as any two fights could be," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said. "This fight will conclusively demonstrate who the better fighter is and settle a point of contention which has been going on for years."

Said Pacquiao: "This will be an exciting fight because our styles make for exciting fights. He likes to fight toe-to-toe, as I do. We both like action and to engage our opponents. I expect Marquez to be faster and stronger than the last time we fought. He is the ultimate competitor. I am prepared to go another brutal 12 rounds just like the previous two fights.

"There will be a lot of action in this fight. We both have a lot of pride when we enter the ring representing our countries, fighting for the honor of our nations."

Pound-for-pound king Pacquiao, the singing congressman from the Philippines and the only eight-division titlist in boxing history, is a significant favorite. He aims to leave no doubt about his superiority against lightweight champion Marquez, the popular Mexican star and three-division champ who is moving up in weight.

"Marquez has the right to make alibis about not winning our two previous fights," Pacquiao said. "It's because of those alibis that I am so motivated for our upcoming fight. I want to end all the questions he has raised about who won our past fights and who the better fighter is. I have something to prove in this fight."

Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) has every reason to believe he is the better man, even if many believe Marquez was the rightful winner the first two times. It is Pacquiao who is 1-0-1 against Marquez (53-5-1, 39 KOs), having knocked him down a total of four times -- three times in the first round of the first fight and once in the third round of the rematch.

"I just want to clear out the doubts in the minds of some fans," Pacquiao said.

There are three significant differences between then and now, which Pacquiao believes will make a big difference for him.

One is that he is now a seasoned welterweight (although the fight is contracted at 144 pounds, three fewer than the division limit) used to fighting bigger men.

"I'm bigger. I've been fighting bigger guys for a few years now -- [Antonio] Margarito, [Oscar] De La Hoya, [Shane] Mosley, Miguel Cotto," Pacquiao said. "They're all big."

And Pacquiao beat all of them in resounding fashion.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Isaac Brekken
As promoter Bob Arum said of the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez rivalry, "The first two fights were as close as any two fights could be."

Another attribute that Pacquiao, 32, points to as an advantage is his evolution as a fighter. Back when he and Marquez previously met, Pacquiao was essentially a one-handed fighter. He's a southpaw and his left hand is deadly, but his right hand was not much of a weapon. He and trainer Freddie Roach have worked on it for years, and it has since become very dangerous and a big part of his arsenal.

"It's a big difference. My right hand is well-developed and I know how to fight," Pacquiao said. "I am a more complete fighter than when we fought previously. I am now a two-fisted fighter. My right is as potent, as powerful and as dangerous as my left. I have as much confidence in my right as I do in my left."

There is also the fact that Marquez, 38, who can brawl with the best of them, is a counterpuncher at heart and gave Pacquiao problems.

"I've been studying since the last two fights how to fight a counterpuncher," Pacquiao said. "Before, we didn't study how to fight a counterpuncher. Now we have perfected how to fight a counterpuncher."

There is another factor, although it is an intangible: Pacquiao's desire to make a statement. Although he takes the high road and has shown Marquez immense respect, there is a palpable sense that Pacquiao wants the knockout.

Those around him say he felt disrespected by Marquez, who has cried for years that he was robbed in both fights, who took to wearing a T-shirt at public appearances that proclaimed in bold letters, MARQUEZ BEAT PACQUIAO TWICE.

"He is tremendously invested in this fight, emotionally invested in this fight," Arum said of Pacquiao. "He wants to win and win convincingly."

Roach has been outspoken about the desire for a knockout victory.

"Manny never predicts and will never say anything bad about this guy, but [Marquez] slapped him in the face when he went to the Philippines wearing a shirt that said 'I beat Manny twice,'" Roach said. "Manny doesn't like this guy, I know that. It's been a little extra motivation for him. And I think after [Floyd] Mayweather couldn't knock this guy out, I think we need to knock this guy out, especially after the last fights [decisions against Mosley in May and Margarito last November] where Manny carried both guys. At this stage, we need a good ending. A knockout is always good."

Rafael's boxing blog

Not surprisingly, Roach said he strongly believes Pacquiao won both fights.

"I think Manny won both fights, though Manny made them closer than they should have been," Roach said. "I'm worried that Marquez could have Manny's number. He is the only fighter who seems to have figured out Manny's style. That is why I am training Manny for the knockout -- to clear the air on who is better. Manny is going to shut up Marquez once and for all. I'm sick of his whining."

Marquez, a significant underdog at the MGM's sports book, is out to prove that his excellent performances against Pacquiao were no accident and that he can finally get an official win against his greatest rival -- even if it comes in a weight class where, in his only previous fight, he got knocked down and lost a virtual shutout decision to Mayweather in 2009.

"We are going to clear all the doubts from the first two fights, and I feel very good about it," said Marquez, who has added muscle as he has bulked up. He believes the Mayweather fight should be discounted, saying he did not put on the weight properly last time.

"I had problems moving up, but I would rather fight Pacquiao three or four more times than fight Mayweather once," Marquez said. "Mayweather is a defensive fighter -- he doesn't let you fight. But we know Pacquiao comes to fight and he is a spectacular fighter. He is always going to give you a fight, and that's why I know it will be a war between us."

[+] Enlarge
Mark Ralston/Getty Images
Juan Manuel Marquez struggled against Michael Katsidis, but he also demonstrated a key trait that has made him a worthy match for Manny Pacquiao: his unbreakable will.

Marquez said he isn't concerned about the fact that he is an older fighter now. He blitzed through Likar Ramos in the first round in a July junior welterweight fight that was a farce, as Ramos basically laid down. In Marquez's most recent real fight, he stopped Michael Katsidis in the ninth round of a lightweight title defense last November -- but he was badly hurt, dropped in the third round and nearly knocked out.

"I don't believe age has anything to do with it," Marquez said. "I prepare myself very well and I'm going to be just as good as I would have been a few years ago. As long as I had the good training camp that I had, I'll be fine."

As sick as Pacquiao is of hearing about it, Marquez doesn't back off his claim that he was the rightful winner of the first two fights.

"Well, if he is upset about what I said about winning the first two fights, I am upset that I didn't get the decision," Marquez said. "I am motivated just as much as he is. We all have opinions and my opinion is that I didn't get the decisions I deserved.

"All the preparation has been done. Now it's just about having the fight of my life to settle everything once and for all."

While Pacquiao isn't willing to make any sort of predictions -- a politician at heart, it seems -- Roach is happy to do it for him.

"Marquez will be surprised when he faces this version of Manny," Roach said. "He no longer fights in one direction or with one hand. Manny has become a complete fighter. He moves laterally in both directions and he throws potent punches with both hands. Manny has so many more weapons than the last time they fought. I think Manny knocks out Marquez in the sixth round."

Not what you wanna hear:

CEELOW (NORRISTOWN, PA)

Yo Dan! Any truth to the rumor on Cotto vs MArgoII being in Jeopardy of happening??

Dan Rafael (12:53 PM)

There is a hearing in NYC (no unexpected) next week to hear from Margarito's eye doctor to see if they will license him based on his eye injury. The hearing has nothing to do with the previous wrapping scandal. My instinct tells me it is a dog and pony show because I seriously doubt Arum would bring the show there, spend what he has already spent on the promotion, put tix on sale, etc... if he did not have certain assurances from the commission that this was a rubber stamp. But who knows? Anything could happen.

Not what you wanna hear:

CEELOW (NORRISTOWN, PA)

Yo Dan! Any truth to the rumor on Cotto vs MArgoII being in Jeopardy of happening??

Dan Rafael (12:53 PM)

There is a hearing in NYC (no unexpected) next week to hear from Margarito's eye doctor to see if they will license him based on his eye injury. The hearing has nothing to do with the previous wrapping scandal. My instinct tells me it is a dog and pony show because I seriously doubt Arum would bring the show there, spend what he has already spent on the promotion, put tix on sale, etc... if he did not have certain assurances from the commission that this was a rubber stamp. But who knows? Anything could happen.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

I was listening to the radio a few hours ago and Robert Guerrero said he wanted to be the opponent for Mayweather on May 5th.

I'm sure he does, but everyone else wants it to be Pac Man...

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

I was listening to the radio a few hours ago and Robert Guerrero said he wanted to be the opponent for Mayweather on May 5th.

I'm sure he does, but everyone else wants it to be Pac Man...

Come on now Guerrero isn't even on the top of the list of possible opponents. It's either Pacquiao or Khan, actually Morales isn't a bad idea 
laugh.gif

Come on now Guerrero isn't even on the top of the list of possible opponents. It's either Pacquiao or Khan, actually Morales isn't a bad idea 
laugh.gif

Double standard much? Alverado looking like an extra in a Rob Zombie horror film...fight continues. Prescott gets himself in (serious) trouble in the last round...we gotta protect him from himself.

Double standard much? Alverado looking like an extra in a Rob Zombie horror film...fight continues. Prescott gets himself in (serious) trouble in the last round...we gotta protect him from himself.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Alvarado was still game, he had his wits about him. Prescott's equilibrium was non-existant as evidenced by his inability to stay up under his own recognizance. To let a man continue when he may have already suffered a concussion is a sure fire formula for brain damage. Good stoppage. 

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Alvarado was still game, he had his wits about him. Prescott's equilibrium was non-existant as evidenced by his inability to stay up under his own recognizance. To let a man continue when he may have already suffered a concussion is a sure fire formula for brain damage. Good stoppage. 

Back
Top Bottom