2011 playoff 13 retro.

Apart from pre-release threads for the few-and-far-between releases that matter, these evergreen ones are my favorite.

Air Jordan XIII (Black/True Red-White) (136002-061)
- Air Jordan: Top 3
- Overall: Top 10

Curious changes (and obvious downgrades) in a few respects aside, the All-Stars were reproduced with care.

Purchased these for the first time a year to today on eBay. Fella lowered his ask from $240 to $220 ($260 to $240 w/ shipping, respectively) since nobody was chomping at the bit for an item from a seller whose feedback had been significantly impacted by a single negative. Sneaker transactions, on the other hand, were uniformly positive; judging from past listings, savvier heads were his clientele. With that, I asked my questions, got my answers and used my coupon for 10% off. At $220 (NIB), shipped, it stands as my greatest steal yet.

--

Were these originally released in '97 or '98? I'm aware of the ASG connection, having reportedly been debuted by Jordan on the hardwood in '98, yet '97 always comes to mind when first spotting them in the wild. Additionally, back when I would research this stuff ('01-'06), '97 was, seemingly, offered as the release year, print or otherwise, each and every time. From what I can tell, it hadn't been until recently that certain sources cite '98 as the release year for this colorway (a good sample size of production dates ranging from late '97 to early '98 would support this).

Were these originally released in '97 or '98? I'm aware of the ASG connection, having reportedly been debuted by Jordan on the hardwood in '98, yet '97 always comes to mind when first spotting them in the wild.
I am not sure here. I want to say early 1998.
AIR J XIII AIR J XIII will more likely know this.
Definitely 1998.

The white/black colorway was the only one that dropped in 1997, the white/red dropped the first week of January 1998.

I want to say early-mid April. I know for a fact the Flints dropped around the time of the ASG, and these released after those.

I have seen Sole Collector Magazines erroneously list these as 1997.

Definitely 1998.

The white/black colorway was the only one that dropped in 1997, the white/red dropped the first week of January 1998.

I want to say early-mid April. I know for a fact the Flints dropped around the time of the ASG, and these released after those.

While your at it. The Black red 13 was the last of the mids released. Was that during the week? I know I skipped work or school to get em. I just cant remember.

I'm not sure off the top of my head. I know it was early June, and for some reason the 6th is sticking out to me, which was a saturday.

I'm gonna see if I can find the date...

::edit:: JRepp23 JRepp23

may-98-nike-basketball.jpg

Turns out it was a saturday.

I'm not sure off the top of my head. I know it was early June, and for some reason the 6th is sticking out to me, which was a saturday.

I'm gonna see if I can find the date...

::edit:: JRepp23 JRepp23

may-98-nike-basketball.jpg

Turns out it was a saturday.
Thank you for jogging the memory. Yeah it was my high school job. I never really missed work, still dont to this day. But at 17, priorities man :lol: :lol: . I wasnt missing those.

Definitely 1998.

I thought I knew it all when it came to the original lineup of 13s, but once you pointed out the hologram on the outsole being a different color from the White/True Red-Black pair, I thought, 'No, this dude knows his stuff.' I'd assumed time had its time and dulled the hologram to that color, similar to how badly fogged-up hologram eyes take on a completely opaque look. It's possible that Jordan Brand shared that notion, since the two could be seen as 'twin' colorways. It's also possible that Jordan Brand was being Jordan Brand, 'preserving the specialness' of the original.

Re: SC, right. I own the 20th anniversary Air Jordan issue that lists the All-Stars as '97 w/ the White/True Red-Black release on the page for colorways.

Much appreciated, XIII.

One of my favorite j's. I need to wear my 2011's more, I dont remember my opinion on them.

I dont really care about the grey being changed to red.

Maybe you do, but I'll share this with you just in case.

I most certainly do not, but discovering the hidden intricacies of the design philosophy that went into the Air Jordan XIII, plus the broader trivia that only a Michael Jordan fan could impart, only enhances appreciation for such a great shoe.

3M as an analog to the tapetum lucidum never occurred to me. You only ever hear of the sculpt and hologram as inspirations. In fact, during those 6 minutes, it dawned on me that the suede, particularly on the midsole, may have been realized via conceptualization of the pelt, while the lateral and medial panels (forelegs) provide a 'design in motion' aesthetic, with the latter ahead of the former, advancing much like a predatory cat stalking its prey.

The rundown of on-court appearances was very useful to someone who, while a fan of sneakers, couldn't care less about sports. Scrutinizing LDTV footage kills my eyes, a lesson learnt when attempting to compare the original release of the Aqua VIII to the '15 retro. AI is often credited for bringing cool, appearance-wise (kicks aside), to the NBA, but nobody did it better than Jordan (or Rukawa).

That was a fun watch.

Thanks!

I am not sure here. I want to say early 1998.
AIR J XIII AIR J XIII will more likely know this.

I think they were released around april/may of 98 since i remember seeing ppl rock them around june but then again i also seen some beat up pairs by then, then again we used to rock our sneakers as soon as we got them and went striaght to the park to play in them hence why they got beat so quick :wink:

Last edited:
Maybe you do, but I'll share this with you just in case.

Just a long time opinion here. As much as love the Black and Red 14, and as much I went nuts over it when he debuted them in the Finals, I always wished he would have stayed with the 13 to the end. Low or Mid would not have mattered. I think in some ways the 13 would be looked at on an even higher regard if he had those on in Game 6.

Just a long time opinion here. As much as love the Black and Red 14, and as much I went nuts over it when he debuted them in the Finals, I always wished he would have stayed with the 13 to the end. Low or Mid would not have mattered. I think in some ways the 13 would be looked at on an even higher regard if he had those on in Game 6.
Yes, but in many ways, the XIV is far more relevant than it otherwise would have been.

There's a reason people often separate Jordan 1-14.

Mike did go back to the XIII for game game 5, but they lost and that was that.

Always found it interesting that the Jumpman size on the tongue of the playoff was larger than every other 13.

Any rumblings of these re-releasing ? I know as soon as I buy the 2011, we will get an announcement of them coming out again.

Such a good retro, everything was on point with that release. I regret selling my pair awhile back when I was tied up with money but if they see the light, I'll get them again

Back
Top Bottom