2012-2013 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread. VOL: 17-23, last time I updated thread, they were 11-10...

Slacked on making this, but it's going to be a fun year man. I haven't been this excited for a season in a long time. Maybe not since we had Antawn Jamison in his prime. There are so many excellent young players on this team that I'm interested to watch.

Roster

PG: Darren Collison, Roddy Beaubois, Dominique Jones
SG: OJ Mayo, Vince Carter, Dahntay Jones, Jared Cunningham
SF: Shawn Marion, Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki, Elton Brand, Troy Murphy
C: Chris Kaman, Brandan Wright, Bernard James.

Laugh all you want, but Kaman, Curry, and Elton Brand are the three best offensive paint scorers that the Mavs have had, pretty much ever. Dampier, Diop, Chandler, Haywood, LaFrentz, Bradley, etc. Kaman, Curry, and Brand are better than each of those guys on that end of the floor, and really it's not even close.

It's good to see that for one year we finally have some depth in the front-court. Normally our front-court depth has been putrid around Dirk. The one thing we don't really have this year is wing depth. OJ, Wince, and Marion are pretty much about as far as that depth goes.

What I'm really looking forward to watching is Jae, DC, and OJ. These guys bust their *** out there, and it's so good to see. Last year, and for the past few years, we've seen a lot of lazy basketball out of Dallas. Lazy passes, little effort on the boards, and getting pushed around for years. Jae and DC won't stand for that. I had no idea DC was so physical. He's great out there.

I am going to withhold any judgment on OJ Mayo until Dirk comes back because he will be the biggest beneficiary. Having all that attention off him will be huge for OJ.

I'm optimistic for the season. Dirk will be out for a while, yes, but our November is VERY light. Charlotte twice, New York twice (without Amar'e), Portland, Toronto, Minnesota T-Wovles (without Love/Rubio), Washington (probably without Wall), Indiana, Cleveland, GSW, LAL, Philly, Chicago. Only a few of those would be hard games when Dirk's healthy, so if we're at .500 after November I'm happy. If Dirk comes back in mid-December, that comes right before a big stretch of games that include Miami, Denver, Memphis, OKC, and Spurs twice. That's pretty much six weeks to the day.

Last night was a good night, let's keep it going.

Last edited:
Game time! :pimp:

It's going to be a tough game, opening against two good teams out West who are at home, yeesh.

DC VS Mo
OJ VS Gordon
Marion VS Marvin
Brand VS Milsap
Wright VS Al.

Ugh, this is going to be tough.

Well, as is usually the case, a tale of two halves. Mavs were dominant in the first half with excellent shooting, but it just didn't translate in the second half.

As I was worried about, their bigs dominated Dallas'. They had 20 more rebounds, and double the amount of offensive boards. You can't have that and win a basketball game.

Cunningham was terrible in his time on the floor. Carter was putrid all game. You want to talk about poor shot selection, he was feeling himself and he wasn't even good tonight. Jae was good early, but didn't hit anything in the second half. OJ, same thing. He really needs that other guy out there to help move things along. Wright was great again, but didn't play enough. Not sure why you play James and Curry so much but only have Wright play 26 minutes. DC has been the best overall in both games.

Big Al, Paul, and Favors absolutely killed us. They got to the line a crap ton, took great shots, and it killed us. Favors/Al/Paul/Enes had a combined 46 rebounds, 6 more than the entire Mavericks team. You don't win basketball like that. If they keep getting that kind of production from Foye/Mo/Gordon while feeding their bigs, good lord they will be TOUGH to beat. Marvin Williams also looked very comfortable out there.

very happy with how Collison has played. I like his game and think he and Mayo will be really good together.

I want to see Mayo dominate the rock more, and maybe some more time as weeks go on for Crowder.

Sad we lost the game last night, but we are not a full strength, lets remember that.

We could have been totally healthy and complete and it would have been rough to get that W in Utah.

I'm looking for the exit on the OJ Mayo bandwagon already though.

^ Why? He's missed shots that's all so far..

My thing with him is he isn't a good finisher around the rim he is a Jump Shooter.. He seems to be more focused on getting to the rim and throwing up a prayer instead of sticking to mid range where he's good $ and spot up 3's

Last edited:
OJ, and everyone else on the roster gets a pass from me until Dirk comes back. It's frustrating to watch right now, sure, but they acquired OJ with the thought that Dirk would be there to take off some of the pressure, and help OJ get better shots. I'll wait for that day until I judge OJ.

I don't get signing Troy Murphy and cutting Eddy Curry, considering Curry didn't play too bad, and Murphy will probably suck. We've been having a really hard time trying to get rebounds, and the only solution I can think of is that Kaman is coming back soon, they are satisfied with their 4/5 rotation being Brand/Wright/Kaman/James, and are looking for a scoring option to replace Dirk right now.

I don't necessarily like it, but it is what it is. They need to feed Brand and Wright more with Kaman out.

I like what I'm seeing from Mayo and DC.

This is the pace for a basketball game that is just fun to watch. Back and forth. :pimp:

COLLISON!!!!

Son plays with as much heart as any Maverick that I've seen in the past 10 years.

Yes, including Tyson.

What's the word on Mark Followill? I didn't know he got hurt, but I could tell that was Coop doing the play-by-play.

I always root for upside guys. Like my favorite player on the team is usually a young athletic guy ie Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris or Brandon Bass.

We now have so many I don't know which one to pick

Jae Crowder has been my guy since Summer League but Darren Collison is cooking.

I always root for upside guys. Like my favorite player on the team is usually a young athletic guy ie Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris or Brandon Bass.
We now have so many I don't know which one to pick
Jae Crowder has been my guy since Summer League but Darren Collison is cooking.

Nah, iono man. I love Jae as much as all of yall do, but Collison has been absurdly good. Like the best PG since Nash good. The guy is averaging 18 points, 7 assists, and WELL over 50% shooting thus far, with only two turnovers per game.

If he keeps this up over the rest of the year, he'll have been the best PG in a Mavericks uni since back in the glory days. Not even Nash or Kidd.

18/7 on >50% shooting? I'll take it.

Dirk isn't even playing yet man and he's playing this well... :smh:

Carter felt himself a little too much tonight, but he was hitting, so whatever. Very promising to see out of OJ, but I still want him to finish at the basket better.

It was great to see Kaman out there too. He gave them what they've been missing all these years in Dallas. Interior scoring. Automatic. It was a thing of beauty watching DC/Kaman work together. Good hands, finish around the rim. Even if Kaman is older and injury prone, I still love what he brings.

Onto Portland, which should be a great one. Gotta stop LMA and Lillard to stand a chance.

For as risky as Wright can be defensively/rebounding, he's been great on offense too. If he gets it deep enough, it's two points. He just jumps so damn high. :lol:

I like him starting with Elton until Dirk and Kaman are both healthy, because Elton makes up for both the defensive and rebounding flaws of Wright. It's a good front-court tandem.

Back
Top Bottom