2012 Dallas Mavericks Off-Season Thread; The world. It's ending.

Raptors offered Nash a boat load of cash for his age....does he even have 3 years left at 13 mil a season?

So much for idea of reuniting Nash and Dirk 
tired.gif

Why did yall dudes want nash to begin with ? dude cant guard to save his life.

Dragic , Mayo , and hibbert would be some GOOD pick ups

you guys are buggin out... For real All those 3 guys have the potential to become all stars.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by knightngale

how do you gamble away championships though?

I ask myself this everyday since Tyson held up that championship
people act like its so easy to win back to backs. thats why its not done too often. too much factors in to repeat things. from contracts, to thoughts of the future, to players being content on winning a championship and not having the desire and passion to want more..

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by knightngale

how do you gamble away championships though?

I ask myself this everyday since Tyson held up that championship
people act like its so easy to win back to backs. thats why its not done too often. too much factors in to repeat things. from contracts, to thoughts of the future, to players being content on winning a championship and not having the desire and passion to want more..
There are no guaratees they would have won but they could have competed.

They didn't compete last year.

Also they could have resigned Chandler and if they made other moves basically had Dirk and the defensive player of the year with room to sign another big name free agent. Hell they could have signed Deron to the max and given that Crash that ridiculous offer if they wanted.

Unless Cuban and Donnie pull some trick out of their arses, this off-season doesn't look like the Mavs will be able to make a blockbuster acquisition. I'm kinda just daydreaming here but what do you guys think about the Mavs doing some moves like these (Once again I'm just daydreaming; these scenarios are probably not realistic at all):
- Hopefully the market for Chris Kaman is so limited that Mavs can sign him to a relatively cheap 1 yr deal with a team option. This way Mavs get a decent center (someone that can keep Haywood relegated as a backup) while giving Mavs flexibility to go after D12 in summer 2013 (that is if D12 hasn't signed an ext w/ his pending new team if and when he gets traded) and if they strike out on D12 like they did with Deron; they can just exercise that option to keep Kaman (or if Kaman ends up being so horrible; they can just decline it and move on 
laugh.gif
). Basically in a D12 pursuit scenario, they could amnesty Haywood (might as well hang onto him for this season if Mavs can't land a top tier FA) and decline the option on Kaman to free up more money for a D12 signing. 

- Take a flier on Ramon Sessions. He wanted to test market and Lakers said good riddance by getting Nash so maybe he has a chip on his shoulder. Give him something like a 3 year $15 mil deal or even better, do a 1 yr deal w/ a team or player option (that way he's even more motivated to ball out and get a big payday and this way Mavs can still have cap flexibility and not be tied down to him if he ends up being trash for Mavs or not a good fit)

- Kings are trying to unload Tyreke Evans or at least around time of the draft; were open to it. This would be one of those out of nowhere low-key trade pickups that could pay off big for Mavs. IDK what the general consensus thought on him on this board is but I feel like he's way too talented to be regarded like a bum the way the Kings have been treating him. I think a change of scenery to a team that has had a better and recent culture of winning and stability like the Mavs could help untap his potential that he showed during his rookie year. I know the Rockets are a lot better equipped with assets to offer the Kings but since the Mavs have that approximate $9 mil trade exception from the Lamar Odom trade; you'd think they can get creative and do something. Maybe time to cut ties with Roddy B and offer him and draft picks/cash to Kings for Evans and filler. Mavs might have to bite a bullet and take someone like a Francisco Garcia or Chuck Hayes back but even one of them could help add some depth to bench. 

If all this can magically pan out, Mavs could look something like this:
Sessions

Evans

Marion

Dirk

Kaman

Bench: Kidd, Vince Carter, Jared Cunningham, Brandan Wright, Haywood, DoJo, Francisco Garcia/Chuck Hayes (assuming one of the two is a throw-in player in this hypothetical Evans trade), Jae Crowder, Bernard James

This wouldn't really be a title contender IMO but it'd allow Mavs to somehow put out a decent roster that could have a chance to surprise people. Plus it should still allow Mavs to have cap space for Summer 2013 to go after a D12 (if he's still gonna be a free agent by then). 

I'm sure there's a bunch of variables regarding the money and salary cap that would prevent some or all these scenarios happening but I was just bored thinking and feeling 
tired.gif
frown.gif
  since Mavs' 2012 offseason plans have so far blew up in their faces. 

what about going after Jamal Crawford?

I like the idea of getting Hibbert but I don't think that's in the cards, there has been no talks. I haven't heard us wanting to reach out to anyone besides Nash and Deron...and since both are gone we are now twiddling our thumbs.

I'm hoping there is something major planned...

Rudy Fernandez is a solid man to come off bench if he can come back.
Leandro barbosa
Ray Allen - doubt it though
Chauncey
J Crawford
Jodie meeks - good shooter
OJ Mayo
Nate robinson
JR Smith
Nick Young

alot of ppl left in free agency we can still pick up

If Celtics dont get Ray Allen i hope celtics pick up nick young, og, j-craw, nate or rudy.

Originally Posted by DaulDierce

Rudy Fernandez is a solid man to come off bench if he can come back.
Leandro barbosa
Ray Allen - doubt it though
Chauncey
J Crawford
Jodie meeks - good shooter
OJ Mayo
Nate robinson
JR Smith
Nick Young

alot of ppl left in free agency we can still pick up

If Celtics dont get Ray Allen i hope celtics pick up nick young, og, j-craw, nate or rudy.
Last I read, Rudy Fernandez signed with a Euro team so he's out of the NBA if that's the case. The rest of the players on that list don't really excite me and don't think those guys would be meaningful impact players for the Mavs IMO. Ray Allen would be a nice pickup to replace Jet if we had landed D-Will or Nash but don't see any reason for him to come here right now when staying with Celtics or going to either Heat, Bulls or Clippers are way more appealing options. 

Why are you dudes trying to build a team that'll finish 7th in the West and get swept in Round 1? Complete waste of time to sign Mayo, Crawford or any of those types.

3 years for Kidd?
sick.gif
He probably won't finish that deal and will retire before its an issue but... Why?

Originally Posted by LoveOfTheGame916

I know you Mavs fans are feeling sick right now.
30t6p3b.gif

Thats an understatement.

IDK why Kidd stayed, I wished he leaped off this sinking ship.

Mayo, JR, Leandro, Nick Young. Just because those guys are available and they play spots that you don't have... doesn't mean you should get them.

A team with one of those guys in a major starting role is in trouble. They work as high energy bench guys, but if they're in your core, you're doomed. Not just W/L but probably in fandom as well.

I feel bad for Dirk. The Mavs should just sit and suck with a bunch of minimal one-year contracts rather than saddle themselves with selfish, marginal players for 3/4 years.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

So who we looking at?

Dirk, Marion, Haywood, Carter, Wright, DoJo, Roddy, Cunningham, and Crowder eh?
sick.gif

I expect Delonte back.

Barf.

Just amnesty Haywood, trade Marion and Dirk and start over. There's no point to continue chasing something that has zero chance of coming together.

As a Mavs fan this off-season has been just been pure comedy
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. Mavs might as well trade Dirk to a contender.

Back
Top Bottom