2012 Official NFL Fantasy Football Thread

espn. ppr.

forgot to ask....

are you looking to go RB or QB with that 3rd pick?

It's a toughy because you never know whom'll be left on your draft board as far as RBs go, you might get lucky and have Jamaal Charles fall to you.

The great thing about ESPN is their rankings, guys like Mathews are falling to the 3rd round (he's ahead of schedule and can conceivably be ready for week 1). Sproles can conceivably also be had in the 3rd. Doug Martin can be had in the 4th, 5th and perhaps even later...Trent is now a 3rd rounder on ESPN...

So I don't know if I wouldn't reach for a top-flight, high-upside WR1 like Julio Jones with that 22nd pick with all the RBs that can conceivably fall to you in rounds 3 and 4. RB isn't deep by any means, but if your league-mates aren't overly savvy you may be able to exploit ESPN's draft rankings. Here's an interesting read highlighting my point....

A lot of factors go into where a player is selected during an online fantasy draft. Health, buzz, last year’s stats, position scarcity and preseason performance all play a part. But nothing holds more weight than the pre-draft rankings provided by a site running the league, and that’s really unfortunate.

As I wrote last year, in a perfect world every fantasy draft would be live (yes, actual face-to-face interaction). It would force owners to come with their own lists instead of relying on these default rankings.

However, we don’t live in a perfect world. Some unprepared – or even prepared -- owners use these rankings as a crutch. That means they may be afraid to pull the trigger on X guy in the second round because they are listed a fifth-round guy in the draft room. Or maybe they take Y guy early just because his name is on top of those default rankings. And if there are auto drafters, being aware of who is on top of the list is crucial.

Regardless, we have given you tons of tools so you can simply ignore those rankings that pop up when you open your draft applet. In the Draft Guide, you’ll find complete rankings and projections for all different formats. Evan Silva has told who to shy away from. Chris Wesseling has released sleepers and busts. I’ve analyzed a snake draft, an auction draft and given out some late-round fliers to take a risk on. Mike Clay has talked handcuffs. We've also discussed camp winners, camp losers and much more.

Now, we’re preparing for the actual act of the draft. And, unfortunately, taking advantage of the default rankings are a part of that. Here is a look at what to keep an eye on as you draft on each of the major sites:

ESPN.COM
Players listed higher overall than expected:
5. Maurice Jones-Drew
11. Andre Johnson
13. Matthew Stafford
14. Roddy White
19. Mike Wallace
27. Eli Manning
44. Willis McGahee
62. Roy Helu
67. Ben Tate
75. Michael Bush
86. Matt Schaub
Strategy: There’s a lot to chew on here. Even if you like Maurice Jones-Drew, Andre Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Mike Wallace or Eli Manning, you’re not going to get him. An unprepared owner or auto-drafter is going to scoop them up based on these ranks. Move on. … If you take Arian Foster, you’re going to have to reach for Ben Tate. Don’t let him get to the top of the “available players” in the applet. The same can be said for Matt Forte owners in search of the Michael Bush handcuff … Let someone else get fooled by Matt Schaub this high. He was featured in Chris Wesseling’s busts list.

Players listed lower overall than expected:
28. Darren McFadden
70. Doug Martin
87. Aaron Hernandez
96. Kenny Britt
105. Jason Witten
Strategy: Know your opponents. If they’re relying on the default ranks, we can wait an extra round or two on Doug Martin, Aaron Hernandez and Kenny Britt. I wouldn’t wait on Darren McFadden since so many other sites (including us) have him as a top-5 option. … ESPN did adjust their rankings to reflect the Jason Witten injury. Just be aware.

Where the buzz guys are ranked:
33. Julio Jones
47. Brandon Lloyd
54. Stevan Ridley
68. Eric Decker
73. Matt Ryan
78. Kevin Smith
80. Torrey Smith
95. David Wilson
101. Cedric Benson
113. Titus Young
Strategy: Pretty standard across the board here. We obviously have Julio Jones much higher, but that’s personal preference. … If you want Stevan Ridley, you’re going to have to pay through the nose. … We’re not getting any bargains on Matt Ryan, Kevin Smith, Titus Young or David Wilson either. Disappointing.

Who to scroll down for:
144. Greg Little
163. Ryan Williams
166. Brandon LaFell
170. Evan Royster
174. Kendall Wright
182. Kendall Hunter
192. Jacquizz Rodgers
194. Randall Cobb
198. Greg Olsen
199. Jake Locker
203. Rashad Jennings
207. Kyle Rudolph
232. Santana Moss
235. Austin Collie
276. Alfred Morris
Strategy: Lots of goodies in here. We can start plucking off our favorite fliers in Round 10 or so and gain a ton of high-upside bench players. … Make special note of Austin Collie’s ranking. It doesn’t reflect the latest news regarding his status. … Santana Moss is ranked as if he didn’t make the team.

my bad...
QB passing TD = 4pts
Rush TD = 6
TD reception = 6
PPR(each reception) 1

Well I love that you went with a rushing QB as your QB1, savvy move. Cam should easily finish 1st amongst QBs in your scoring format. (4 pts passing TDs, 6 for rushing TDs).

The bad, your RB situation, not ideal....Shonn Greene is a RB3 at best in PPR leagues and MJD looks like he's digging in for a hold-out that'll extend into the season.

Coach Mike Mularkey confirmed Rashad Jennings will likely be the Jaguars' Week 1 starting tailback, regardless of Maurice Jones-Drew's status with the team.
"I expect Rashad will start, we'll just have to see," Mularkey said, leaving the door open ever so slightly. Jones-Drew's fines for skipping training camp have exceeded $1 million, while Jennings has averaged nearly five yards per preseason carry and blocked well in the blitz-pickup game. Jones-Drew could retake his lead back job at some point, but Jennings looks like the heavy favorite for early-season touches. The Jaguars open against Minnesota on September 9. Aug 27 - 3:58 PM

Ced Benson whom I was originally not wild about has impressed in camp, and the Packers will be giving him a sizable role in the run-game this season. I like him a lot more than I did initially when I felt that Alex Green was the guy to own in the GB backfield. Blount makes for an abysmal option in PPR formats and it won't be long 'til he pretty much concedes all his touches to the much more talented Doug Martin.

Your WR situation, also not wild about. Jordy IMHO is the best WR you have and even he is not a true WR1 even in PPR formats. He's a SOLID WR2 with WR1 upside, but as you already know, Rodgers loves to spread the rock and Randall Cobb may soon supplant Driver completely as the Packers' slot-receiver. Colston is pretty steady, but his upside is also limited with the multitude of weapons at Brees' disposal. Vincent Jackson should make for a nice target for Freeman, but to be honest I'm not thrilled. I'm not convinced he'll be better with Freeman as his QB, Rivers was a pass-happy, strong-armed QB that loved to target Jackson. I honestly don't think Mike Williams' numbers will be too far off from Jackson's when it's all said and done.

Dump Caldwell, Smith & Palmer. Grab Russell Wilson if he's on your waiver-wire (better option than Smith & Palmer as he's a rushing QB). Grab Rashad Jennings if he's on your wire somehow. Grab Alfred Morris as he's looking like he'll be the Skins' starting RB week 1. If you don't know who Morris is youtube him, he just ran for 107 yards and a TD against the Colts (yes I know, anyone with a pulse can run on the Colts). I really can't endorse him as a long-term option knowing Shanny, but for the first couple of weeks, he should suffice as a fill-in. Plus if he breaks-out you just hit the lotto.

Also, by any chance, is Greg Little on your wire? Danny Amendola? I'd snatch up either (or both) if available. Dump the Bills D/ST, don't ever carry two D/STs when you can carry a lotto-ticket RB or a guy like Randall Cobb (who is just one Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings injury away from fantasy relevancy).

Finished a 12 team draft. Standard scoring but with 6 points per passing TD instead of 4 so I had to go for a QB first round. Don't really like the Trent Richardson pick but I'm hoping he comes through...

Let me know what you guys think.

QB: Drew Brees,
WR: Julio Jones,
WR: Antonio Brown
RB: Trent Richardson
RB: Peyton Hillis
Flex: Cedric Benson
TE: Antonio Gates,

BN: Reggie Wayne
BN: Mike Williams
BN: Kendall Wright
BN: Mark Ingram
BN: Jacquizz Rodgers
BN: Russell Wilson

Finished a 12 team draft. Standard scoring but with 6 points per passing TD instead of 4 so I had to go for a QB first round. Don't really like the Trent Richardson pick but I'm hoping he comes through...
Let me know what you guys think.
QB: Drew Brees,
WR: Julio Jones,
WR: Antonio Brown
RB: Trent Richardson
RB: Peyton Hillis
Flex: Cedric Benson
TE: Antonio Gates,
BN: Reggie Wayne
BN: Mike Williams
BN: Kendall Wright
BN: Mark Ingram
BN: Jacquizz Rodgers
BN: Russell Wilson

You're in a bit of a trouble if Hillis is your RB2.

Should've went RB instead of Brees, even in 6 point passing TD formats....Lots of QBs with similar upside, but I won't beat a dead horse on that subject (i've covered it a few times in this thread).

Kendall Wright may be droppable now with Britt coming off the PUP and Washington locked in as the second starter (Locker is not going to accomodate 3 WR's, he's just not)...I'd consider scooping up Alfred Morris.

G'luck.

Would this be a good trade?

I give up T-Rich and Fitzpatrick; I get back Rivers and Donald Brown

My RBs: Rice, Sproles, Ridley, P. Thomas, Jacquizz Rodgers

My QBs: Locker

I play in a 12-team PPR league; 4 pts for passing TDs

Thanks

^ I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Rivers is much better than Fitz and Locker, and with Rice and Sproles, Richardson would probably be on your bench most of the time anyway. How'd you get those 3 RBs in a 12 team league anyway? you must be hurting at WR or something :lol:.

Last edited:
^ I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Rivers is much better than Fitz and Locker, and with Rice and Sproles, Richardson would probably be on your bench most of the time anyway. How'd you get those 3 RBs in a 12 team league anyway? you must be hurting at WR or something :lol:.
Richardson fell to me in the 5th round!

My WRs are Julio, Percy, Torry Smith, and DHB

Anyone have the 3rd pick in their league (out of 12?)

If so who are you targeting in the 2nd round (22nd overall?)

I find that spot tricky since supposed elite WR's are available but also

RB gets fickle if you don't hop on it here ...

I was in the exact same spot and ended up with Brees in the first(6 points per 6 passing TD 1 point per 20 yards) I got Forte and S-Jax in the 3rd and 4th. I'm happy with it.

Elpablo21: My bad, didn't even realize that. I have so many teams this year it's often hard to keep track. Free advice to my competition I guess. Well you had to draft C.J. before DeAngelo for the Freddy handcuff.

Will trade you for Gates.

SuNiversal: 7.5/10. Not loving the Flex. DMC an injury concern. Excellent first draft otherwise.

MMG: Eli and Gronk first-round? 8.5/10. Don't know what you're upset about, you drafted very well.

X I A N 9: Definitely AP for your first keeper. I'm going Fred Jackson with your second keeper to solidify your starting RB pairing. Eli is a good fantasy QB but he's in the same range as Romo, Vick, Peyton, Rivers, Matty Ice, Cutler, and Big Ben. Not much discrepancy.

Stringer Bell 32: Not expecting big numbers from Little. Don't trust Weeden and Little didn't show me enough his rookie campaign anyway.

6.5/10. Could be a 7 if you trade one of your receivers for a RB1 or RB2 to pair with McGahee. Try moving V-Jax or Bowe.

baik: 7/10, assuming MJD produces close to his best. Upgrade your RB2. Elite receiving corps. Could move Roddy for another RB1 to go with MJD. Should have Rashad Jennings on bench to handcuff.

The Dauqs: Royster and Starks are worth a look. But track Ced Benson's progress in GB before picking up Starks. Starks is more valuable in PPR formats. Royster seemed like Shanny's favorite before injury. You never know with him. Revolving door with Hightower, Helu, Morris, and Royster. Taiwan Jones and Turbin are good value in case DMC or Lynch go down with injury. Clear backups with potential.

sickickz23: 6.5/10. Not loving your RB2. Also not huge on V-Jax this year. Could pick up a better bench option than Dre Caldwell.

SneakerHeathen: Appreciate the shout out, bud. Just trying to help out some fellow NTers. Have a passion for Fantasy Football more so than Basketball or Baseball.

Wonder how much RG3 will target Davis. Probably second or third after Garcon obviously.

I'm cooling off on Fleener's value a bit. Indy gave Luck tremendous weapons with Fleener, Allen, and Hilton.

sole searchin: Team name is Forte YearOld Virgin.

JayBirdyy: 6.5/10. Deep league. Would package Floyd and Reggie or Gore for a RB upgrade.

bxbadboy90: Standard scoring is generally no PPR, 4-point passing TDs, 6-point rushing and receiving TDs. Positions are QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, DEF, K. Customs leagues allow for personal settings like PPR, 6-point passing TDs, Flex options, etc.

Buc Em: Little is probably ranked higher, but I personally like Hilton better. You could and it wouldn't be a big deal.

miamib30514: RB. Someone like Forte, Lynch, Charles, or MJD (if he falls). Deep WR talent, could get Antonio Brown, Lloyd, DeSean later in the draft. Even a Eric Decker-type with good value with a later pick.

RP-33: 8/10. Solid handcuff. Rice and MJD could be elite for you. Cutler will post monster numbers with Marshall and Jeffery. Law Firm and Brown good RB depth. Pick up a better WR3.

Having a bit of a dilemma in my keeper league. My roster isn't really that stacked and I've gotta keep four guys. So far I think I'm keeping Eli, Frank Gore, Steven Jackson and Cedric Benson. Letting go of Miles, Decker, Boldin, Nate Washington, Laurent Robinson and Tolbert. Any thoughts? Would appreciate any insight, the deadline is tomorrow.

I just had deju vu. Yes...Let go Decker. I want him! ...If this is the NT Keeper you're talking about.

Man me too. I offered a guy in my league Garcon, Pierre Thomas, Andy Dalton for Decker, Carson Palmer.

Doubt he accepts. :smh:

Alright here is how my draft ended up for the NFC North Trash Talk league. I wasn't able to be there for the live draft so I ranked players and it was on autopick. 12 team league.

QB- Matt Stafford
WR- Brandon Marshall
WR- Brandon Lloyd
RB- Ben Jarvis Green Ellis
RB- Jacquizz Rodgers
TE- Jimmy Graham
W/R- Demaryius Thomas

Bench:
Russel Wilson
Titus Young
Mike Williams (TB)
Jonathan Dwyer
Kyle Rudolph

K- Mason Crosby
K- John Kasey

Defense- Houston

Obviously going to drop the 2nd kicker and need to find another RB. Any suggestions? Pierre Thomas and Evan Royster are available, along with Leshoure, Hightower, Daniel Thomas, Vareen. Any of these you would pick up?

Last edited:
Having a bit of a dilemma in my keeper league. My roster isn't really that stacked and I've gotta keep four guys. So far I think I'm keeping Eli, Frank Gore, Steven Jackson and Cedric Benson. Letting go of Miles, Decker, Boldin, Nate Washington, Laurent Robinson and Tolbert. Any thoughts? Would appreciate any insight, the deadline is tomorrow.

Personally I'd keep Decker. Would have had a way better year had Tebow not been his QB.

But then who do you drop out of there, String? Gore?

I'm about to keep Decker just to keep him away from 651 :lol:

KEEP

ELI
GORE
JACKSON
BOLDIN

Decker might have a break out year, thanks to Peyton. He returns still?

If you're Green Bay with Rodgers, Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Driver and FInley how often would you be handing it off to Benson?

Id think Benson would have to get GL touches... Mike Mac isn't stupid... No point in throwing in EVERY situation.

Would you drop Kenny britt for Randall Cobb?

NOOOOOO.

Britt just got off the PUP, he's back as the receiver to own in Tennessee (he and Nate Washington).

Randall Cobb has a ton of upside, but he'd need Jennings or Jordy to get hurt before being a viable option in 10-12 teamers. He's still splitting slot duties with Driver.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom