2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

me and my friend went to go test drive this for fun the other day and my goodness is this a fun car.
the engine sounds amazing the steering is perfect its got just enough power to have fun with but not kill yourself. and the poor salesman was laying down in the backseat :lol:
when i took it up to 7000 rpm it sounded so dam good. i wanna buy one of these if i can after college. anyone know how many are being produced?
and toyota is marking these up like crazy.

Glad you posted this. I was like these other dudes, skeptical, trash talking the car, but honestly after owning it for almost a week, this is one amazing car.

Unoriginal? Get REAL! :lol: This car is extremely original. A lightweight, sports oriented car built from the ground up with attention to details, aerodynamics, and balance. Weight distribution, no unnecessary bs, and the ability to take the brush to the canvas and do what you wanted, Tada and his engineers created a masterpiece. The 350Z was a bloated pig and was simply a coupe with a decent engine and spaceship styling. Stop the comparisons.

This car is a blast to drive, bar none. It's putting out great times on the track (what it was designed for) and has a lot of potential for gearheads.

And another thing, this car breaks way more necks than the Evo ever did. The flared fenders, low body, and front/rear really are beautifully sculpted. The wheels aren't the best but Tada-san said they didn't put much thought into them as that's the first part people mod. The interior is excellent for the price, good leather and plastics used. The transmission and shifter are PERFECT. Not clunky and junky like the Evo's.

Glad you posted this. I was like these other dudes, skeptical, trash talking the car, but honestly after owning it for almost a week, this is one amazing car.
Unoriginal? Get REAL!
laugh.gif
This car is extremely original. A lightweight, sports oriented car built from the ground up with attention to details, aerodynamics, and balance. Weight distribution, no unnecessary bs, and the ability to take the brush to the canvas and do what you wanted, Tada and his engineers created a masterpiece. The 350Z was a bloated pig and was simply a coupe with a decent engine and spaceship styling. Stop the comparisons.
This car is a blast to drive, bar none. It's putting out great times on the track (what it was designed for) and has a lot of potential for gearheads.
I was talking about the styling in terms of unoriginality. Looks EXACTLY like the Tiburon and Genesis. Proof? Go a few pages back where people were mistaking the Genesis as an FRS. If no one said something, a lot of dudes would be sitting here still believing that that car posted as an FRS. 

And yes, stop the comparisons with the Z. Two completely different classes. There is no argument that you can make to convince me that the FRS/BRZ is a better sports car than the 350/370. And decent engine? Cmon fins, you know your cars and you cant sit there and act like the VQ is just a "decent" engine.

But I'll keep it real. This car is incredible. Great entry level car for anybody looking for a fun drive. Although, I wouldn't get one. I'd rather use that money and get a slightly used Z. That's just me. Different strokes for different folks. You like your Toyobaru, I like my Z. As an aspiring engineer (2 more years), I can appreciate the articulation, design, and engineering that went into this car. And that is what makes me a fan.

Last edited:
Also, I don't necessarily hate the styling. I think it looks great. It just looks recycled. But it does take that Japanese fastback mold and turn it into something great. 

And I will admit, that white BRZ posted above is beautiful 
nthat.gif

Not trying to offend anybody who got theres, congrats to all. Sorry if I did offend some dudes. I know you guys will enjoy them. Just voicing my opinion and starting some discussion in here

wow, looks great in white, thats probably the best color in my opinion... as for it resembling a hyundai i honestly dont see it and no one in this thread has mistaken the genesis for a frs/brz either. 
laugh.gif

i would take a BRZ over a Z any day. The FRS/BRZ looks better in my opinion... 

the FTO posted kinda reminds me of a miata

Last edited:
I like some angles of the BRZ/FRS except the rear end. The rear end and profile of Z/G coupes looks cleaner to me especially with big lip wheels.
Performance is up in the air because Z/G coupes are quite heavy even with the VQ engine. The VQ purrrr is too :pimp:

Last edited:
I was talking about the styling in terms of unoriginality. Looks EXACTLY like the Tiburon and Genesis. Proof? Go a few pages back where people were mistaking the Genesis as an FRS. If no one said something, a lot of dudes would be sitting here still believing that that car posted as an FRS. 

And yes, stop the comparisons with the Z. Two completely different classes. There is no argument that you can make to convince me that the FRS/BRZ is a better sports car than the 350/370. And decent engine? Cmon fins, you know your cars and you cant sit there and act like the VQ is just a "decent" engine.

But I'll keep it real. This car is incredible. Great entry level car for anybody looking for a fun drive. Although, I wouldn't get one. I'd rather use that money and get a slightly used Z. That's just me. Different strokes for different folks. You like your Toyobaru, I like my Z. As an aspiring engineer (2 more years), I can appreciate the articulation, design, and engineering that went into this car. And that is what makes me a fan.

I've not come across anyone who thinks the car looks like a Genesis. That's just ignorance. They're both coupes from Asian automakers, that's about it. The tails, fenders, front bumpers, grille, green house, C-pillar, etc. are all different.

I know the Z's VQ is great, I should've used better wording, but it's heavy. The VQ's on the new Z are oil hogs, many friends with Z's. If you want a touring sports car, Z. For lightweight, mod-friendly, I'd go 86/BRZ. Both are great cars.

The interior of this car is way better than the Z. I don't like the cheap plastics and shoddy feel the Z gives off. I just sat in a 2012 Fairlady in Nissan's Yokohama HQ, the only thing I liked was the exterior. Nissan needs to make a Silvia again btw.

I've not come across anyone who thinks the car looks like a Genesis. That's just ignorance. They're both coupes from Asian automakers, that's about it. The tails, fenders, front bumpers, grille, green house, C-pillar, etc. are all different.
I know the Z's VQ is great, I should've used better wording, but it's heavy. The VQ's on the new Z are oil hogs, many friends with Z's. If you want a touring sports car, Z. For lightweight, mod-friendly, I'd go 86/BRZ. Both are great cars.
The interior of this car is way better than the Z. I don't like the cheap plastics and shoddy feel the Z gives off. I just sat in a 2012 Fairlady in Nissan's Yokohama HQ, the only thing I liked was the exterior. Nissan needs to make a Silvia again btw.
Hmm maybe it's just me.

And yeah, I'm not downplaying the FRS/BRZ. It is an awesome car. I just wouldn't buy it over a Z because it's not what I'm looking for in a car. My next car purchase will be in the next couple years and I'm heavily considering the 370z. But I am also not counting out the Toyobaru because I know they'll improve it within the next couple model years. I'm buying a car as a toy as soon as I'm done school and start working because I already got a 09 Civic as my daily driver which is fantastic.

And yes, they do need to bring back the Silvia. Nothing better than a modded out 240. One things for sure, I do like the direction a lot of the Japanese automakers are going. It seems like they are starting to bring back sportier type cars, which is great because they all have their heart in racing.

Accelerated Performance FRS / BRZ turbo package runs a world record 1/4 mile time of 11.3 @ 127.4 MPH. The engine / transmission is stock other than the bolt on FRS / BRZ 400 package.

]

:x :x :x :smokin DO WANT

this is for all you nissan fans 

2014 240z

this is an awesome video to me on so many levels. it really gave me a good perspective to the process of how cars are made, esp heritage sports cars. designing a (foreign) car from your imagination has to be one of the more cooler jobs i know of.

Accelerated Performance FRS / BRZ turbo package runs a world record 1/4 mile time of 11.3 @ 127.4 MPH. The engine / transmission is stock other than the bolt on FRS / BRZ 400 package.

]

:x :x :x :smokin DO WANT

one of the sexiest cars released in a while imo...i want this car lol.

Last edited:
these cares are whacko flacko whacko.

i mean. they look like wanna be 350z, and the curvature look is too common place w/ the supra/350 style.lolz

it has some mazda 3 feel to it too lolz

these cares are whacko flacko whacko.
i mean. they look like wanna be 350z, and the curvature look is too common place w/ the supra/350 style.lolz
it has some mazda 3 feel to it too lolz

I'm surprised you're making such uninformed and awful posts. Supra? Mazda 3? These cars have NEVER been compared to the twins. :lol:

I'm surprised you're making such uninformed and awful posts. Supra? Mazda 3? These cars have NEVER been compared to the twins.
laugh.gif
Right? I've been a critic of the two cars but at least I'm not talking outta my *** like this dude. Gotta give credit where credit is due with this car

Right? I've been a critic of the two cars but at least I'm not talking outta my *** like this dude. Gotta give credit where credit is due with this car

:lol: Right I mean, these cars aren't close to the cars he's naming. Hell, why don't we throw a Scion iQ and a Toyota Camry in there too, if we're just naming random cars.

The short list for the 2012 North American Car of the Year was announced today. 

Here's the full list:

2013 NACTOY Car short list:

BMW 3 Series
Cadillac ATS
Chevrolet Malibu
Dodge Dart
Ford Fusion
Honda Accord
Lincoln MKZ
Nissan Altima
Scion FR-S
Subaru BRZ