2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

The short list for the 2012 North American Car of the Year was announced today. 

Here's the full list:

2013 NACTOY Car short list
:

BMW 3 Series

Cadillac ATS

Chevrolet Malibu

Dodge Dart

Ford Fusion

Honda Accord

Lincoln MKZ

Nissan Altima

Scion FR-S

Subaru BRZ

Toyota Avalon

2013 NACTOY Truck/Utility short list
:

Acura RDX

Audi allroad

BMW X1

Ford C-Max

Ford Escape

Hyundai Santa Fe

Infiniti JX 35

Mazda CX-5

Nissan Pathfinder

Ram 1500

this list is garbage :x

Right? I've been a critic of the two cars but at least I'm not talking outta my *** like this dude. Gotta give credit where credit is due with this car

:lol: Right I mean, these cars aren't close to the cars he's naming. Hell, why don't we throw a Scion iQ and a Toyota Camry in there too, if we're just naming random cars.
the guy at the dealer mistaked a red scion tc for a frs :lol:
he told me go check out the red frs im like :rolleyes thats a tc bro and hes like ohh okay

the guy at the dealer mistaked a red scion tc for a frs
laugh.gif

he told me go check out the red frs im like
eyes.gif
thats a tc bro and hes like ohh okay
Yea, the two sales men i dealt with didn't know anything about the cars either. I just gave them a stone face and slowly walked away

only thing i dont like on these cars is the stock wheels

Last edited:
Former Evo owner here,
I prefer the 86/FR-S for daily driving.
Sincerely,
Former Evo owner
Fahreal?

Just a quick overview and it would seem that the Evo X has everything up on the FRS. Way more power, handling should be better, AWD. Any reason why you prefer the FRS?

My brother is looking to get this as his first car. Im still not sold on it whatsoever. I told him we might as well wait and try to get a G37, which can be gotten for low-mid 20's. I just think there are "better" options for low-mid 20's with a lot more power than an FRS.

Then again different strokes, this car might just be tons of fun to drive.

Fahreal?

Just a quick overview and it would seem that the Evo X has everything up on the FRS. Way more power, handling should be better, AWD. Any reason why you prefer the FRS?

My brother is looking to get this as his first car. Im still not sold on it whatsoever. I told him we might as well wait and try to get a G37, which can be gotten for low-mid 20's. I just think there are "better" options for low-mid 20's with a lot more power than an FRS.

Then again different strokes, this car might just be tons of fun to drive.

Well, there's a few reasons.

-Interior: The interior in the Evo was a joke. The plastics felt super cheap, it looked ugly, and there were rattles and noises everywhere. Just didn't feel like I spent close to $40k on a car

-Handling: FR-S and the Evo are about the same in terms of feel. I can go the same speeds around turns in both cars, and the steering response in the FR-S is awesome. Evo's handling was awesome though, don't get me wrong, it rivals supercars.

-Height: The FR-S feels like a sports car. Low to the ground, styling cues, just the overall feel. Sit low too. Evo felt like a SUV sometimes.

-Looks: This one may be subjective, but the car looks like it's more costly than it is. The Evo, sometimes couldn't be deciphered from a Lancer for normal folks. Also, the wheels don't need to be changed right away like they did in the Evo with those Enkeis, cheap @$! wheels that showed any bit of brake dust.

-Transmission: 5 speed vs. 6 speed, speaks for itself. You'd be cruising at 70 mph with the engine at 4k rpms in the Evo, very annoying when driving on the highway. FR-S got cruising down fine.

What r ppl doing with the engines of these bad boys? I feel like everyone who secretly always wanted a supra is copping hah now can these handle the kinda hp ppl were dumpin into their sups? Turbos or supercharged?

I wouldnt pay msrp onnone of these with the problems theyve been havin but innna few yrs i maybe wouldnt mind this as my daily. And have a big bodybfor the winter. Id want at least 230ish hp tho. Hard to say w/o driving one yet tho maybe its fine as is judging by most of the actual drive tests.

They're two different cars.

Sure it won't have a blast of power like a WRX, but handling is where it shines. It's got a perfect balance if you will.

Would it be better if it had more HP? Maybe. Maybe not. More HP doesn't necessarily mean a (much) faster car.

Last edited:
They're two different cars.

Sure it won't have a blast of power like a WRX, but handling is where it shines. It's got a perfect balance if you will.

Would it be better if it had more HP? Maybe. Maybe not. More HP doesn't necessarily mean a (much) faster car.

But the WRX is not RWD. That's the main reason people like the BRZ / FRS chassis so much. There is no other car in it's price range that is RWD.

Back
Top Bottom