2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

Couldn't get jiggy with the Scion.

Picked up the BRZ Series Blue this week in white. Limited to 500, would have been fine with the Limited but I got a good deal IMO.

And yes, coming from an 04 WRX, the clutch does feel super soft.

I really wish I could love my BRZ but I can't

If it had like 230 hp it would be perfect, I'm keeping it because it's convenient on gas milaege til I move

No I'm implying that the car should come stock with more HP

There is a reason these cars aren't selling as expected; save your Sir Charles gif

only reason i would buy a brz/frs is for the exterior looks of the car. For about $2,000's more you can get a 2015 genesis coupe with a 3.8l 348hp engine and a better looking interior.

There is a reason these cars aren't selling as expected; save your Sir Charles gif

The cars are selling very well in the states.

It's a very new niche car that's still managing to outsell niche cars that have been around much longer. The FRS/BRZ is outselling competitors like the VW GTI, Nissan 370 and even the long time segment leader, the Mazda Miata.

The numbers aren't what Scion/Subaru expected; that's enough to say they aren't selling as hoped

The numbers aren't what Scion/Subaru expected; that's enough to say they aren't selling as hoped

The numbers in the States and AU are right on par with expectations. Europe is the only market selling less than expected and that's largely because their cars sales are slumping across the board.

looks so nice in white. 
pimp.gif

only reason i would buy a brz/frs is for the exterior looks of the car. For about $2,000's more you can get a 2015 genesis coupe with a 3.8l 348hp engine and a better looking interior.
have you driven one? there is a reason you dont see them too often

But... You knew how much HP this car had when you purchased it...

You should have copped a Z...

Do you guys think it would have sold better if it was badged as a Toyota and not a Scion?

The Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S are The Cars We Demanded, but lately everyone thinks they're The Cars No One Is Buying. But do they really deserve that reputation? I did some digging, and I don't think Toyobaru sales are worth freaking out over yet.

The idea that the Toyobaru twins may not be strong sellers started last month when the UK's AutoExpress published a report quoting Toyota Vice President for European R&D Gerald Killmann as saying the GT86, as it is known over there, is "flagging behind its sales targets in all major markets."

Killmann ascribed this situation to a demand for more power, but said such a car couldn't be justified for production based on current sales numbers. A Catch-22, in other words.

We picked up on that story as well, but to Zac's credit he raised the point that AutoExpress did not — that Killmann may have been talking specifically about European markets and not the rest of the world. His remarks make sense in the context of Europe's current economic climate, where car sales have been in a years-long slump.

Let's go back to 2012 when this car launched. Two summers ago, Subaru, the company that actually builds all versions of the cars, had to crank up production to meet the unexpected demand of the car. At one point, the twins were even the fastest selling cars in the U.S., spending just four or five days on a car lot before going off to their new homes. That kind of turnaround is insane.

Now, all of a sudden, they're not selling well? Sales are "disappointing"? What happened?

I'll tell you what those reports are: wrong. The car is selling just fine, at least here in the U.S.

Our friends at Autoblog asked Scion and Subaru how things are going, and Scion VP Doug Murtha told them the FR-S sold 18,000 units last year, which was in line with original expectations for the car. Subaru also said they're happy with U.S. sales at about 8,500 units a year. Combined, both FR-S and BRZ outsold the WRX in 2013.

If you don't believe the flacks, look at the numbers themselves, care of sales tracking site Good Car Bad Car.

On average, they're moving 1,000 to 1,900 FR-Ses a month and between 400 and 900 BRZs. The Scion is clearly the stronger seller of the two, but it's also a little cheaper.

On their face those numbers may not seem terribly impressive. Only a few hundred or a little more than a thousand a month? How can that be considered successful? But keep in mind the Toyobaru was always meant to be a low-volume sports car with a niche appeal.

The twins are also selling better than many of their competitors, including more practical ones. FR-S sales typically trumped Volkswagen GTI sales, for example; while they aren't direct competitors, they are similarly-priced sporting cars that probably vie for at least some of the same buyers.

So let's look at the Toyobaru's most direct competitor, the Mazda Miata MX-5. The Miata may be the answer to everything, but apparently not to beating the BRZ at selling cars, perhaps because it's somewhat less practical than those cars. It has also been on the market since the middle of the last decade and is due for a replacement soon.

The FR-S is also doing much better than the more powerful, more expensive, less practical Nissan 370Z. Remind me again how a boost in power is supposed to save this car from failure? (Hyundai doesn't differentiate between Genesis Coupe and Genesis Sedan sales in the U.S., so it's hard to tell how the Toyobaru is doing there.)

Of course, the FR-S and BRZ can't hold a candle to sales of the Ford Mustang or the Chevrolet Camaro, but that's to be expected. It's a niche newcomer and those two are American icons, titans known and loved by all with a much broader appeal and more version dealers can unload like the ZL1 and Boss 302.

Sales of both the BRZ and FR-S have been down a bit in recent months, but I think that has more to do with this harsh, never-ending winter that has hammered much of the U.S. rather than America hitting Peak Toyobaru. People just don't buy as many rear-wheel drive sports cars in the cold months, which is why all-wheel drive cars have been surging lately.

Another point: Nissan just greenlit the IDx Concept to apparently do battle with the Toyobaru, and the Kia GT4 Stinger looks poised to do the same. Would other automakers explore this niche if the FR-S and BRZ were a failure? I doubt it.

Could sales be stronger for these cars? Sure. Any car's sales could stand to get a boost. For now, I don't think the FR-S and BRZ are floundering as much as people think.

But that could happen. The car has been on the market for two years now without any substantial changes. It could use something soon to spice it up, like a nice mid-cycle refresh, a convertible version, or most preferably, a more powerful version everyone says they want.

Unlike many of the Toyobaru's Internet critics, I have actually driven it, and I think its power is more than adequate for what the car is supposed to be, and as a whole it's a hell of a lot of fun. I also have to wonder how much money people would really be willing to pay for a faster version of this car; I'm not sure I see them paying into the $30,000 range for that.

Don't count the Toyobaru twins out just yet. They seem to be doing just fine.

Last edited:
Fresh rumors surrounding Toyota's next-generation GT86 platform (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ) suggest an upgraded model will get both a turbocharger and all-wheel-drive.

Forced induction has been mentioned in several previous rumors. The latest information, published by Japanese magazine Best Car and spotted by 4WheelsNews, specifically claims the powerplant will be a Subaru-built 2.5-liter flat four -- likely borrowed from the Subaru WRX STI -- that delivers up to 300 horsepower.

Power is expected to be delivered to all four wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, helping to maintain decent mpg ratings despite the thirstier engine.

Taking aesthetic inspiration from the WRX STI, the GT86 is expected to be outfitted with a hood scoop to highlight the forced-induction mill. It is unclear if the compact sports coupe will also borrow the STI's multi-mode center differential that would allow torque to be manually biased to the front or rear.

The new model is said to be likely to appear before the end of the year, though 2015 is pegged the likely launch window.

Doesn't make much sense to change the concept of the car (RWD) to a all wheel drive automatic with a WRX engine.

Might as well just get a WRX no? Personally I think this is going to be the only generation of the BRZ/FRS with both Subaru and Toyota going other ways (like with BMW).

Well the WRX doesn't come in coupe form and that is the main reason I see why other would not opt for a WRX.

Last edited:
Why are automakers now increasing the amount of gears. First it was 6, then 7, now 8 speeds? I don't understand what's the advantage of having an 8 speed gearbox vs the 6 or 7 speed, less lag time when shifting gears? I would think the driver is consistently shifting gears while driving if in manual mode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom