2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

I agree. I think 200hp will be more than enough for the target audience they have in mind. Sure, I probably wouldn't mind more power but at what cost? 20k-25k, 200hp, with the styling and design we've seen? I'm very interested.

I agree. I think 200hp will be more than enough for the target audience they have in mind. Sure, I probably wouldn't mind more power but at what cost? 20k-25k, 200hp, with the styling and design we've seen? I'm very interested.

200 hp is JUST ok, if it's ~2555lbs

and has about 170 torque.

Comparable to RSX type r and Last gen Celica TRD, advantage being FT-86 is RWD

200 HP is more than enough. Compare the weight it to the current 370Z (~3299 lbs), Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-SPec (~3400 lbs) and the Civic SI Coupe (~2900 lbs), the FT-86 is being speculated at being around 2700-2800 lbs. Civic SI coupe starts at $22k but it's a fwd, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 starts at $26k and it's always been a bargain due to the brand but it is heavy as hell and the 370Z at $32k (about $7k-$9k more). Chances are, you'd probably get 30 mpg on the hwy with this car too.

I mean I am honestly curious what you guys expect the car to be for the price? RWD, 200 hp, coupe, pretty damn good looking, light, will probably handle with the best of them, boxer engine with an easily tunable turbo(?), Toyota quality, Subaru engine, etc... all for less than $25k?
BTW, that is coming from a guy who wants a boxer flat 6 over a turboed 4 in the car but considering everything that comes with it, the car seems pretty good. I'd rather it be labelled a Toyota but not much can be done about that I guess.

200 HP is more than enough. Compare the weight it to the current 370Z (~3299 lbs), Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-SPec (~3400 lbs) and the Civic SI Coupe (~2900 lbs), the FT-86 is being speculated at being around 2700-2800 lbs. Civic SI coupe starts at $22k but it's a fwd, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 starts at $26k and it's always been a bargain due to the brand but it is heavy as hell and the 370Z at $32k (about $7k-$9k more). Chances are, you'd probably get 30 mpg on the hwy with this car too.

I mean I am honestly curious what you guys expect the car to be for the price? RWD, 200 hp, coupe, pretty damn good looking, light, will probably handle with the best of them, boxer engine with an easily tunable turbo(?), Toyota quality, Subaru engine, etc... all for less than $25k?
BTW, that is coming from a guy who wants a boxer flat 6 over a turboed 4 in the car but considering everything that comes with it, the car seems pretty good. I'd rather it be labelled a Toyota but not much can be done about that I guess.

I know the first year sales will be good, but I hope it doesn't die off like other niche cars from Toyota. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by quik1987

One word, aftermarket. This thing will boost the aftermarket big time.

Originally Posted by quik1987

One word, aftermarket. This thing will boost the aftermarket big time.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

200hp just isnt enough.

If they expect anyone to take this car seriously a 6 cylinder needs to made an option.

I honestly do not think it needs more than 200hp, it'll be nice, but 200hp is a good base starting point especially since they plan on selling it for around $20k-$25k. It's not meant to compete with the 330hp 370Z that starts at $32k. 200hp is more than enough for a light, rwd coupe at that price point. I am not sure why everyone wants amazingly big numbers, would you guys really pay $35k for a Scion with 300hp-350hp? 

I literally meant a 6 needs to be made an "option".

I completley agree with you that for the current price you get a hell of alot of car.  I just think it would be good business to come out with a rarer top of the line version that can seriously compete with todays pony cars. 

Originally Posted by RFX45

200hp just isnt enough.

If they expect anyone to take this car seriously a 6 cylinder needs to made an option.

I honestly do not think it needs more than 200hp, it'll be nice, but 200hp is a good base starting point especially since they plan on selling it for around $20k-$25k. It's not meant to compete with the 330hp 370Z that starts at $32k. 200hp is more than enough for a light, rwd coupe at that price point. I am not sure why everyone wants amazingly big numbers, would you guys really pay $35k for a Scion with 300hp-350hp? 

I literally meant a 6 needs to be made an "option".

I completley agree with you that for the current price you get a hell of alot of car.  I just think it would be good business to come out with a rarer top of the line version that can seriously compete with todays pony cars. 

I just think it would be good business to come out with a rarer top of the line version that can seriously compete with todays pony cars. 
Nah, it would be great to have a track version of the car, but not to compete with the pony cars. Pony cars are a different segment of cars and they are arguably the best bang for your buck in regards to straight line *!!. At this point, it competes more with a Miata.

I just think it would be good business to come out with a rarer top of the line version that can seriously compete with todays pony cars. 
Nah, it would be great to have a track version of the car, but not to compete with the pony cars. Pony cars are a different segment of cars and they are arguably the best bang for your buck in regards to straight line *!!. At this point, it competes more with a Miata.

Subaru BRZ to pack more power than Toyota version, spawn convertible?

It's only a month away, ladies and gents. We're talking about the Tokyo Motor Show that's set to open at the end of November. And when it does, we've been promised that we'll finally see the production version of the coupe being co-developed by Toyota and Subaru.

The so-called "Toyobaru" will be sold under at least three different marques when it hits the market, as a Subaru, a Toyota and a Scion – the latter exclusive to the United States. But new word on the street is that the Subaru will receive the most powerful version. While Toyota has said its version will pack about 200 horsepower, Subaru indicates the BRZ (as it's been officially named) will pack "less than 300 horsepower," very likely putting it in the high-200 zone.

There are also rumors afloat of a potential convertible version. Reports indicate that the chassis was engineered from the get-go to lose its roof and accommodate a droptop, but while Toyota has refused to comment on the prospect, Subaru is reportedly considering it closely.

Subaru BRZ to pack more power than Toyota version, spawn convertible?

It's only a month away, ladies and gents. We're talking about the Tokyo Motor Show that's set to open at the end of November. And when it does, we've been promised that we'll finally see the production version of the coupe being co-developed by Toyota and Subaru.

The so-called "Toyobaru" will be sold under at least three different marques when it hits the market, as a Subaru, a Toyota and a Scion – the latter exclusive to the United States. But new word on the street is that the Subaru will receive the most powerful version. While Toyota has said its version will pack about 200 horsepower, Subaru indicates the BRZ (as it's been officially named) will pack "less than 300 horsepower," very likely putting it in the high-200 zone.

There are also rumors afloat of a potential convertible version. Reports indicate that the chassis was engineered from the get-go to lose its roof and accommodate a droptop, but while Toyota has refused to comment on the prospect, Subaru is reportedly considering it closely.

Also if they (Toyota or Subaru) decide to do a higher HP output version, expect it to have some sort of hybrid tech producing HP... this car is being made so Subaru can gain some hybrid tech from Toyota...

Also if they (Toyota or Subaru) decide to do a higher HP output version, expect it to have some sort of hybrid tech producing HP... this car is being made so Subaru can gain some hybrid tech from Toyota...

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

Naw, Hybrid technology = Expensinve. It's also heavy. So I doubt it. Subaru already displayed their EV and Hybrid plans at Frankfurt.

1319633537565.jpg

1319633596442.jpg

Back
Top Bottom