2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

it's missing the oh so awesome GT3 bumper led lights.
Bad pic angle with huge fender/wheel gap (smaller wheels from concept?) makes it look less sporty too.
czsMP.png

it's missing the oh so awesome GT3 bumper led lights.
Bad pic angle with huge fender/wheel gap (smaller wheels from concept?) makes it look less sporty too.
czsMP.png

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

A true enthusiast can appreciate where a car succeeds 

But less than a handful of people has driven the car and can comment on it. How do you know, along with all these "enthusiast", that it has already failed?

But less than a handful of people has driven the car and can comment on it. How do you know, along with all these "enthusiast", that it has already failed?

this is gonna be a tough sell in the US if all they offer is the 197 HP model; the look will become dated quick and it will be the 2000 Celica all over again

this is gonna be a tough sell in the US if all they offer is the 197 HP model; the look will become dated quick and it will be the 2000 Celica all over again

quik1987 wrote:
061_o.jpg

And people criticize American interiors ? 
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

What are you talking about? The interior is clean, well thought out and great looks to have a great vibe of material / textures. It's a Toyota, so it's quality built, unlike most American cars. Cheaply built, plastic interiors. 

quik1987 wrote:
061_o.jpg

And people criticize American interiors ? 
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

What are you talking about? The interior is clean, well thought out and great looks to have a great vibe of material / textures. It's a Toyota, so it's quality built, unlike most American cars. Cheaply built, plastic interiors. 

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Look, I hated my old Civic Si but that car sold by the TRUCKLOAD. It wasn't mod friendly, had 197hp in the great K20, wasn't made in Japan, and was more expensive than this car will be. Trust, this thing will sell.

Look, I hated my old Civic Si but that car sold by the TRUCKLOAD. It wasn't mod friendly, had 197hp in the great K20, wasn't made in Japan, and was more expensive than this car will be. Trust, this thing will sell.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

I like the car and I WOULD buy one but American's look at HP numbers and with a price with competitors at much higher figures I see strong initial sales but a drop from there

I like the car and I WOULD buy one but American's look at HP numbers and with a price with competitors at much higher figures I see strong initial sales but a drop from there

That happens to all cars though. As the styles get older and newer models come out, they tend to lose sales. Look at the Celica, before the decline of sport coupes, it was selling really well. Look at it's replacement, the Scion TC, it sold really well for the first 4-5 years(?) and now on the decline, likely from the ugly new design but it might also be because this damn car has been in concept form for the past 5 years and finally releasing and people have been waiting for it. 
To be honest, by Americans does not mean NT who only loves V8. Everyone would love more power but for $25k RWD sport coupe, what more are people looking for? Not much competition out there, if  people want more power, they'll get a Mustang or a Camaro but if they want a small coupe that will carve through the curves like a scalpel and will be more fun to drive on the track straight from factory and actually spend it's time on the road instead of the garage, then this is the car for them. Two complete different markets. 

This cars only competition right now might be the 370Z but again, that cost more. The Genesis Coupe with more power, well it's still a Hyundai, which is still building their reputation. Civic SI? Civics are ugly these days and still FWD. 

That happens to all cars though. As the styles get older and newer models come out, they tend to lose sales. Look at the Celica, before the decline of sport coupes, it was selling really well. Look at it's replacement, the Scion TC, it sold really well for the first 4-5 years(?) and now on the decline, likely from the ugly new design but it might also be because this damn car has been in concept form for the past 5 years and finally releasing and people have been waiting for it. 
To be honest, by Americans does not mean NT who only loves V8. Everyone would love more power but for $25k RWD sport coupe, what more are people looking for? Not much competition out there, if  people want more power, they'll get a Mustang or a Camaro but if they want a small coupe that will carve through the curves like a scalpel and will be more fun to drive on the track straight from factory and actually spend it's time on the road instead of the garage, then this is the car for them. Two complete different markets. 

This cars only competition right now might be the 370Z but again, that cost more. The Genesis Coupe with more power, well it's still a Hyundai, which is still building their reputation. Civic SI? Civics are ugly these days and still FWD. 

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

People complaining about the 200HP figure is missing the point again. Straight gotta recycle old comments.
laugh.gif

A true enthusiast would appreciate this car for what it is, not what it should be.
Nah.

A true enthusiast can appreciate where a car succeeds and also see where there is room for improvement. 

200hp is fine for a base model DD but true enthusiasts are already demanding a performance variant because this just wont cut it without mods that will void the warranty.
The only thing this car needs to improve on is more weight reduction.

There are other more powerful sports cars like the Z and Cayman that a true enthusiast can buy right now. And they are heavier and more expensive too unfortunately.

Like the lightweight Miata, a true enthusiast would appreciate it for what it is not what it should be. In before LSx swap tho.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

People complaining about the 200HP figure is missing the point again. Straight gotta recycle old comments.
laugh.gif

A true enthusiast would appreciate this car for what it is, not what it should be.
Nah.

A true enthusiast can appreciate where a car succeeds and also see where there is room for improvement. 

200hp is fine for a base model DD but true enthusiasts are already demanding a performance variant because this just wont cut it without mods that will void the warranty.
The only thing this car needs to improve on is more weight reduction.

There are other more powerful sports cars like the Z and Cayman that a true enthusiast can buy right now. And they are heavier and more expensive too unfortunately.

Like the lightweight Miata, a true enthusiast would appreciate it for what it is not what it should be. In before LSx swap tho.
laugh.gif

This car will sell.

Why, well first off it's a Toyota. It's also gonna be marketed to the tuner crowd, and it also helps it sort of sits in the vein of the beloved Supra. The aftermarket will explode for this vehicle, wide range of body parts and go fast parts will be a top of the list.

I personally will try to pick one up in white. 200hp doesn't turn me off, it's not marketed to compete with the 350z, Mustang or Chargers of the world.

This car will sell.

Why, well first off it's a Toyota. It's also gonna be marketed to the tuner crowd, and it also helps it sort of sits in the vein of the beloved Supra. The aftermarket will explode for this vehicle, wide range of body parts and go fast parts will be a top of the list.

I personally will try to pick one up in white. 200hp doesn't turn me off, it's not marketed to compete with the 350z, Mustang or Chargers of the world.

No way. This car will sell based on looks alone. Look how many people drive those ugly Scion TC's and how much the dealer charges after they customize it a bit. It ends up being around 25K for a slow girl car.
Now this car looks betters, people will eat it up.

200HP is not enough, even if it's pretty good for a 4 cylinder imo. But obviously Scion is targeting a different audience who just want a sport looking car with decent power. For those that want the better car obviously Suburu is the other option.

RFX45 wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:

Kinda took what I said out of context there didn't ya?  Like literally took it out of context
laugh.gif

I never said anything about it failing. I said there is definitely "room for improvement", not a fail by any means. I think overall this car is a success; its affordable, it looks pretty good, handles well, and should have a decent amount of aftermarket parts available. But that does not mean Toyota/Subaru should stop where they are at and release this car for the next 10 years unchanged. I think it only makes sense to improve upon this platform and eventually release a more powerful, more expensive variant for those interested in keeping up with the modern pony cars and maintaining their warranty.  

The Edmund's test drive review of the car said it needed more power,  but it would have been a cost issue to do so. I completely understand a 25k car having a HP rating around 200, but I still think there is a market for a factory performance package at a higher premium. Im not advocating getting rid of the 200hp version, but rather an expansion of the line to fit a more diverse group of wants and needs (ala Charger/Challenger [entry level] V6, [moderate performance] R/T, and [serious performance] SRT8).

RFX45 wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:

Kinda took what I said out of context there didn't ya?  Like literally took it out of context
laugh.gif

I never said anything about it failing. I said there is definitely "room for improvement", not a fail by any means. I think overall this car is a success; its affordable, it looks pretty good, handles well, and should have a decent amount of aftermarket parts available. But that does not mean Toyota/Subaru should stop where they are at and release this car for the next 10 years unchanged. I think it only makes sense to improve upon this platform and eventually release a more powerful, more expensive variant for those interested in keeping up with the modern pony cars and maintaining their warranty.  

The Edmund's test drive review of the car said it needed more power,  but it would have been a cost issue to do so. I completely understand a 25k car having a HP rating around 200, but I still think there is a market for a factory performance package at a higher premium. Im not advocating getting rid of the 200hp version, but rather an expansion of the line to fit a more diverse group of wants and needs (ala Charger/Challenger [entry level] V6, [moderate performance] R/T, and [serious performance] SRT8).

No way. This car will sell based on looks alone. Look how many people drive those ugly Scion TC's and how much the dealer charges after they customize it a bit. It ends up being around 25K for a slow girl car.
Now this car looks betters, people will eat it up.

200HP is not enough, even if it's pretty good for a 4 cylinder imo. But obviously Scion is targeting a different audience who just want a sport looking car with decent power. For those that want the better car obviously Suburu is the other option.

Back
Top Bottom