2013 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

Right now our future would be
C Castillo
1B Rizzo
2B Alcantara, (He already moved there to make room for Baez)
SS Castro (Could switch with Baez)
3B Bryant
RF Soler
CF Almora
LF Baez

Of course they all won’t pan out and some may be traded for pitching, but it is nice to dream.

And Lake in the mix as well. But that's 2 years from now or so. Also the kid we just gotfrom Texas, Olt, he can play in the infield as well.

That basically means we have a prospect or two that we can flip, or use as depth if any of the others fall flat. We've never had that luxury from a farm standpoint, least not that I know of.

Last edited:
Well, another long season, but a lot of good came of this year, namely getting rid of the last of our big contracts.

Now, we can truly begin the rebuild. And while we tried to get out from those contracts, Theo has stocked the shelves full of talent.

And to add to all those young names, the Cubs also have the #4 pick in the draft next year, so expect another blue chip piece to come our way.

With Sveum let go, seems pretty popular opinion that Girardi could come in. He was born and raised by us, he's wanted the job, it may be his time if he leaves the Yankees.

If he does, he'll have Rizzo and Castro both under 24 and locked up for 6 more years,
He'll have OF Junior Lake, OF Javier Baez, OF Alberto Almora, OF Jorge Soler, 3B Kris Bryant, and 2B Arismendy Alcantara all under the age of 24 as well. They should get looks in 2014, but should be up full time around 2015. Plus whoever we pull with the 4th pick.

His pitching depth is not as deep, but they do have "some" young arms developing in the Minors, and Theo has grabbed young arm after young arm to try and build up the depth as best he can. At some point, he'll need to spend and grab a couple starters to help fill in the blanks.

So we have a ton of youth, with zero horrible contracts left hanging over our heads. Still some money owed out for players we've traded, but nothing terrible or long term. I don't know if they will try to do anything right away in 2014 or if they will continue building the core for 2015 in which they can bring up whatever prospects actually work out. Certainly some of these guys will fall out, but hopefully another will step up. For instance I did not expect Junior Lake to play as well as he did. Hopefully he keeps working and can improve even further.

Well, another long season, but a lot of good came of this year, namely getting rid of the last of our big contracts.

Now, we can truly begin the rebuild. And while we tried to get out from those contracts, Theo has stocked the shelves full of talent.

And to add to all those young names, the Cubs also have the #4 pick in the draft next year, so expect another blue chip piece to come our way.

With Sveum let go, seems pretty popular opinion that Girardi could come in. He was born and raised by us, he's wanted the job, it may be his time if he leaves the Yankees.

If he does, he'll have Rizzo and Castro both under 24 and locked up for 6 more years,
He'll have OF Junior Lake, OF Javier Baez, OF Alberto Almora, OF Jorge Soler, 3B Kris Bryant, and 2B Arismendy Alcantara all under the age of 24 as well. They should get looks in 2014, but should be up full time around 2015. Plus whoever we pull with the 4th pick.

His pitching depth is not as deep, but they do have "some" young arms developing in the Minors, and Theo has grabbed young arm after young arm to try and build up the depth as best he can. At some point, he'll need to spend and grab a couple starters to help fill in the blanks.

So we have a ton of youth, with zero horrible contracts left hanging over our heads. Still some money owed out for players we've traded, but nothing terrible or long term. I don't know if they will try to do anything right away in 2014 or if they will continue building the core for 2015 in which they can bring up whatever prospects actually work out. Certainly some of these guys will fall out, but hopefully another will step up. For instance I did not expect Junior Lake to play as well as he did. Hopefully he keeps working and can improve even further.

well said :smokin I know better days are ahead

I knew Dale was going to get fired soon, but not this soon. i dont think he knew how to develop players correctly.

Back
Top Bottom