2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

So, the story is Malik McDowell's parents don't want him to go to Michigan State or Michigan because they want him to get out of the state to go to school because they don't think it's to his benefit to be close to home for school (whatever their reason may be -- it's from a parental stand point) but his dad is ok with letting him go to whatever school he feels most comfortable with, and now his mom is beginning to come around as he's stood strong on his position and refused to visit other schools.
No... Mom was upset with what she overheard Sparty players telling Malik about how things work within the program regarding academics... She doesn't feel its the best fit for him but seems to be coming around to the idea of him making his own choice... Dad has always said it will be Malik's choice on where he goes.
Yeah i heard and posted the rumor of someone at Michigan State telling malik that and mom overhearing, but I heard Tom Fornelli on the radio yesterday saying that Malik himself said the chief issue is both of his parents wanted him to leave the state of Michigan and surmised it was because of bad influences.

gDPOmqq.gif

swainpain_medium.gif

Last edited:
laugh.gif

The most egregious spotting incident last year had to be where usc stopped stanford 2 feet short of the first down. and the refs measured it, saw that the ball was short even with the chain and gave stanford the first down anyway, then threatened the usc bench.

/homer rant

NT Fambs:

If anybody is willing to help, please take this survey to help out me for one of my classes. Don't take it if you live in Utah, but I doubt that'll be a problem :rofl:

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1NzR9VcoEhAK59P

You guys came through with my CFB survey I did a couple months back. I'm hoping I can get similar help in this effort.

Thanks, NT :pimp:

(Mods, if this needs to be removed, lemme know and it'll be done.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you would have made your responses to the race question say "I'm ___, if that matters."

survey made me feel bad for vacationing in barcelona but giving no knowing where that national park was..

would normally lie on it and say i did but i figure that wouldnt have helped much lmao

although i hear sundance is awesome

miami supposedly making a psh for tyrek cole a devante peete is leaning 
pimp.gif

keep da'vante though lmao word around town is his brother got bodies and it aint safe for him down here

and they had to cancel miami central's parade because of serious death threats ....crazy story

are they making a push or have they just never stopped recruiting him? Dude has been a shaky commit since he made his pledge, doubt he ends up a Nole on NSD as of today

That **** about Phillips has been out there for a while, since last year at least. Believe his mom got killed or some crazy **** like that.

thats what they said but on the forums i go to they've mentioned their being no articles

on the death of his mother so i cant really speak on that , definitely hope its not true though...

he's an awesome player but i honestly think a school like usc or oregon would be good for him...nice change of pace

:nerd:

(4'sUp is something UCLA commits came up with this past recruiting cycle. Looks like Rosen and Snoop's son are down with the cause :smokin)

survey made me feel bad for vacationing in barcelona but giving no knowing where that national park was..
would normally lie on it and say i did but i figure that wouldnt have helped much lmao

although i hear sundance is awesome

no worries man. I'd be in Spain too if I had the chance :pimp:

Safid Deen ‏@Safid_Deen Feb 19
Regarding UM's 2015 class, it's only a matter of time before Clarington, Jaquan Johnson, Burgess-Becker and Calvin Ridley all commit. #Canes

We'll see

Still very early in the cycle...I'm more concerned about scouting reports and evaluations of the prospects, rather than commitments with the way these kids flip nowadays

--West Virginia WR commit Jovon Durante was very impressive today. He's probably the top slot receiver in the state with his game speed and wiggle in the open field. He also plays taller than his 5'11" height going up for tough catches often.
--Florida State S commit Derwin James is one of the better safeties the state has produced in quite a while (probably since Ha'sean Clinton-Dix). Elite athlete with good instincts and brings an edgy attitude to the field as well. He really excelled today in the man under with cover 2 over the top where he just freelanced and made plays. Several interceptions/hands on the ball.
--LSU commit Kevin Toliver gets a lot of the attention for in-state CBs, and rightfully so. However, I truly think Tarvarus McFadden is in the same league. McFadden is pushing 6'3", but he's still a fluid athlete at that size. He isn't a safety playing CB, I do believe he can stay at CB.
--QB Deondre Francois had the best arm at the event today, the ball comes out of his hand with a lot of velocity. He also showed the capability to change speeds on the ball when needed and dropped some nice passes into perfect placement away from the DB. He needs to be more consistent though as he would run cold at times too.
--QB Lamar Jackson is another physically talented signal caller. He doesn't have the arm strength as Francois, but he looks to be a little better on the deep ball. He is raw as a passer still, but the tools are there to work with.
--The biggest disappointment of the day was five-star dual-threat QB Torrance Gibson. We all know Gibson can run, but he needs to improve upon his passing. He spent all day playing WR today and the one pass I saw him throw was a duck that was intercepted. 7on7 is where QBs get reps and a lot of them in the offseason. Gibson needs reps throwing the ball, not running down field.
--The main issue for 5-star WR George Campbell reared its head again Saturday – inconsistent hands. He still struggles catching the ball at times and had two bad drops in the opening game of the day. Later on he followed that with an impressive leaping snag along the sidelines. He has elite size and speed, but below average hands right now.
-RB Jacques Patrick looks to have packed up some serious pounds and looks to be in the 225-pound range now. This was not really his setting, but looks good on the hoof.

Tmac :pimp:

Last edited:
Full Article from Luke re: the above notes on the 7 on 7

Observations from the Pylon 7-on-7

Luke Stampini
2 hours ago
Comments:15
Add a comment

The Pylon Elite 7-on-7 in Melbourne, Fla. this past weekend was the first tournament of this offseason loaded with top in-state prospects. Below are a few notes and observations from this weekend’s event.

Quarterback Deondre Francois showed the strongest arm at the Pylon 7-on-7.

Quarterback Comparison

Heading into the tournament, it looked like an excellent opportunity to compare Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage five-star dual-threat Torrance Gibson, Orlando (Fla.) Olympia four-star gunslinger Deondre Francois, and Tampa (Fla.) Hillsborough three-star pocket passer Dwayne Lawson. Unfortunately Gibson spend the entire weekend playing wide receiver outside of one wobbly pass which was picked off and Lawson missed the first day due to a track meet.
Francois flashed a rocket arm, but still had consistency issues all weekend. He never looked to get into a rhythm, often times struggling with a couple throws before unleashing an accurate laser down the field. The 6-foot-1 prospect flashed impressive arm talent, the best at the event by far, but he must improve on that consistency.
While Lawson cannot rip it quite like Francois when it comes to velocity, the 6-foot-5 prospect spun several nice passes during his one day of competition. In fact, Lawson looked more comfortable and calm going through his progression than Francois.
Gibson, whose biggest question is his passing ability, opted to bypass the opportunity to work on reading defenses against top defenders and simply getting more reps throwing the ball in favor of running routes as a wide receiver. He insists he is not open to playing wide receiver in college and will only play quarterback. For a player who already had questions about a possible position change in the future, he did nothing to quiet those questions this weekend.
Recruiting Notes: Florida looks to be deciding between Francois and Lawson right now and likely land one of the two eventually...For Gibson, Ohio State appears to have the edge, but Miami is still in the thick of it as well.

Elite Wide Receivers on Display

Tarpon Springs (Fla.) East Lake five-star George Campbell was the highest rated receiver at the tournament this weekend followed in ranking order by Coconut Creek (Fla.) Monarch’s Calvin Ridley, Miami (Fla.) Northwestern’s Jovon Durante, Tampa (Fla.) Tampa Bay Tech’s Deon Cain and Tampa (Fla.) Wharton’s Auden Tate.
There is no doubt Campbell is the most physically gifted at 6-foot-3 with impressive straight line speed, but it’s obvious he has the worst hands of the names mentioned. He is not a natural pass catcher and once again struggled with drops.
Ridley was somewhat quiet on Saturday by his standards and was actually overshadowed by his 7-on-7 teammate Durante during the first day of competition. Sunday, Ridley exploded with numerous catches over the top of defenders and showed why many believe he is the top receiver in the state.
Durante is probably the top slot receiver in the state with elite quickness which he uses to shake defenders with ease to get open. Despite being under 6-foot, his leaping ability and knack for high pointing the ball allow him to play much bigger.
Perhaps the most consistent throughout the weekend was Cain who made his own case for top wide receiver in the state. Despite playing quarterback in high school, Cain has transitioned to his college position with ease.
Tate’s speed was the biggest question heading into the event and it still is afterwards. He is far from a burner, not the greatest coming out of his breaks, but he uses his 6-foot-5 frame to shield off defenders and catches the ball in traffic very well. Many see Tate as a hybrid wide receiver/tight end and that is exactly what he is right now. Intriguing prospect despite the lack of foot speed.
Recruiting Notes: Campbell is Florida’s to lose right now heading into the 2014 season, but he is listening to all...Miami is in the driver’s seat for Ridley, who will head to the same school as Shawn Burgess-Becker...Durante is ‘committed’ to West Virginia, but in reality this recruitment is wide open. In-state schools Miami and Florida will make a run for him...Cain has Florida State in the lead and that is where he likely heads....Miami has the edge for Tate, but that could change quickly if South Carolina or Florida extend an offer.

Talented Defensive Backs

Haines City (Fla.) safety Derwin James, a Florida State commit, impressed when allowed to freelance and rely on his elite athleticism. It was an even more impressive feat when you factor in half of James’ game is eliminated during 7-on-7 – he ability to hit and separate the ball from receivers.
Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian cornerback Kevin Toliver, an LSU commit, used his physicality at the line of scrimmage once again to put up yet another strong performance. Nipping at Toliver’s heels was Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage corner Tarvarus McFadden, who had a strong weekend of his own. The 6-foot-3 McFadden is a fluid athlete that has the ability to run with receivers down the field.
Miramar (Fla.) cornerback Tyrek Cole, a Florida State commit, was solid, but it became very apparent that he is not on the level of Toliver or McFadden. He has a slight build at 5-foot-10, 170-pounds and not an over the top explosive athlete.
Recruiting Notes: James is locked into FSU, but admits he will take visits this fall...Toliver will also take visits, but the safe money is on LSU keeping his pledge...McFadden truly sounds wide open and does not appear to have narrowed things down much at all...Cole’s commitment to FSU is shaky. He will still continue to shop around on into the fall and where he ultimately lands is still unknown.

More Recruiting Notes

---Florida is the school to beat for Seffner (Fla.) Armwood defensive end Byron Cowart, who played as a tight end this weekend. Cowart admits how the Gators play on the field will play a big part in his decision, even offering up the fact he has heard the rumors of Will Muschamp being on the hot seat. He added that a coaching change at Florida would shake up his recruitment. Cowart also spoke highly of Auburn and he plans to return for another visit eventually.
---The Gators are also in the driver’s seat for Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian linebacker Jeffery Holland. Just speaking with him, you can hear his passion and love for the Florida program, which could be tough other programs to overcome. Auburn, Alabama and LSU will still make a run at Holland in hopes of swaying from the in-state Gators.
---Florida State looks to be the school to beat for Orlando (Fla.) Timber Creek running back Jacques Patrickearly, but this recruitment is far from over. Patrick has a lengthy list of schools he is still considering. He mentioned a possible commitment coming in October, but was not sure if he could narrow it down that soon.

Don't get what Miami didn't like about McFadden early on. They need to turn it up on him.

Back
Top Bottom