2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Northwestern alumnus or not, the point remains: questions are better than predictions. What exactly am I contributing to a discussion by throwing out a number? 6! No 7!? 4!? 8!!!!!!!! But fine, I'll make you happy- 5 could definitely happen. There are a lot of questions in the line play and secondary.

I'm just trying avoid the E!spn-ness that Nick Saban abhors.
This is NT though, most of us have been in this thread for years and have laughed each other team's failures and (rarely) congratulated their success. It's good to discuss it further in terms of strengths & weaknesses, ****, that's what I did...I just figured that since every year people threw out their prediction it would be good to get it started with this being opening weak so we can look back and laugh or the one's who went out on a limb and were accurate can pat themselves on the back.

Hasn't Gunna or Dre started it with who would be MNC Champs, OPOY, DPOY, ROY, etc. just about every year? It's part of the point, we're just fans/alumni.

^VT hasn't had a good OL since 2001. This year the secondary worries me as all of the backups are either true or RS freshman and Exum is a converted safety playing corner. (So to answer your question from before, Boyd and Watkins will probably have a field day again).

Prediction wise, I think 9 wins is about right. OL and DB are too inexperienced, same with RB but I feel a little but better there. WR just isn't talented enough IMO. I think FSU takes the league title this year.
I'm not sure if you mentioned it first but I've seen it multiple times since last season that Steele visited with VT's staff after he was fired and clued them in on how Clemson shut them down. It was funny because our defense was awful aside from those two games...and I'm not sure exactly how much control Mike O'Cain had but i laughed before the season when I saw he was OC/QB coach but I didn't expect those results.

Man I'm just trying to avoid what you know is coming...

Marcus Lattimore gonna run for 2000 yards!!
Arky will beat Bama and LSU, no doubt.
DAT will win the Heisman.
Dawgpound... well, you know.

Aka being bold for absolutely no reason other than being provocative and trying to get people going.

I definitely wasn't trying to single anyone out. I'm just tired of turning to ESPNU and seeing some Fact or Fiction type segment. Proclamations/predictions in sports is akin to reps on this message board: they don't mean anything. There's far too much nuance that gets ignored. I think if people asked questions instead of making predictions, a lot of great discussion could arise. Obviously we can do both so no biggie.

What is FSU's Achilles heel?

Last edited:
If I had to pick a consistent weakness for Michigan it would be the secondary. They've had some good players here and there but it hasn't been the same since Woodson left. This year we might have our best secondary in a long time, tho.

I'm relatively excited tho, outside of 'Bama I think Michigan will be competitive in every game this year but we have a tough schedule. @ND, @Neb, @Ohio, MSU is at the Big House. I listened to a couple of radio shows in Ann Arbor today and I heard a lot of, "This team will be better than last years team but the record won't reflect it because of the schedule."

Aka being bold for absolutely no reason other than being provocative and trying to get people going.
I definitely wasn't trying to single anyone out. I'm just tired of turning to ESPNU and seeing some Fact or Fiction type segment. Proclamations/predictions in sports is akin to reps on this message board: they don't mean anything. There's far too much nuance that gets ignored. I think if people asked questions instead of making predictions, a lot of great discussion could arise. Obviously we can do both so no biggie.

I get what you're saying.

As for Arkansas, I do think Knile has looked great and could've came back at the tail end of last season.

Strengths - Tyler Wilson in Paul Petrino/Bobby's offense. WRs will be much more physical and bigger. RB Depth. Defensive Line
Weaknesses - Thin at LB and Safety. No Bobby Petrino (I think having less of that demeanor on the sideline COULD help).

X - Factors for this season.
Offense: Freshmen WRs
Defense: Paul Haynes (DC), Taver Johnson (LBs)

Realistically, I could see us losing two games this year. Split either Bama/LSU and drop one to USCe or aTm.

Staff is going all in this season and I expect them to coach that way, so it shall get very interesting. With Knile back, we will be able to take down the clock and negate teams making us one-dimensional (Bama).

I get you. BTW, it was that South Carolina fan that said (in big *** bold, look at me letters) Lattimore would rush for 1500 & 20 TDs, Alshon would have 1500 & 15 TDs...IN THE SAME SEASON...at South Carolina...thinking Stephen Garcia would be their QB. And I think he calls himself a sports writer.

Offense

But really it'll all revolve around the O-Line and the health of everybody up front, including E.J.

I'd give us 11 wins but I think we're gonna get smashed up in Blacksburg. Thursday night, Lane Stadium and all that :smh:

How do y'all think the newcomers in the conferences are gonna do? I don't know if we have any WVU fans on here but i'm intrigued to see how they do. I think Geno's gonna tear that schedule apart aside from the UT game but I don't anything else about their squad. Definitely interested in seeing DGB play big-time

:pimp:

Yo Jay, whenever you can get around to this if you can can I get 1:51-1:56 with jville on the bottom

Achilles heel? OL & EJ Manuel

The OL is largely unproven .... A converted DT is starting at Left Tackle and is probably the best lineman we have right now... and not alot of depth, this group will have to stay healthy and grow up quick.

EJ --- I'm sorry but I've never been a huge fan... yes he has had flashes of brilliance , but also gets the deer-in-the-headlights look on his face way too often and will throw a pick in a hurry if he gets rattled ... Alot like Ponder really, just better legs.. Lacks poise if you ask me... Wish EJ had the precision and poise of the #2 Trickett, he would be an absolute monster

I think michigan will upset bama, I just have a feeling denard will have game like the last Notre dame game, I know bama will have a great defense but they're inexperienced and I just have a feeling about this one

UM will need a lot more than Denard Robinson jump ball passes to beat Alabama.

QFT... I cant see Michigan stopping the Bama run game with their massive OL.... I also cant see Denard tearing up that D... Too many playmakers and their entire secondary can tackle... It may be a long day for the Wolverines... If they can approach 20pts on O and hold them under 35 I will be happy... Best offense and defense this team will face all regular season.. It will however show me what the season looks like... If they can keep it respectable they shouldn't have any hiccups, win the games they are facored in and sneak out some close wins on the road and get to 9 wins without a problem... If they get dismantled it will tell me the road games will be tough to win and they lose a game they shouldn't and probably go 7-5... The O should be better this year... More weapons at WR but Fitz acting the fool really puts this team in a spot they didn't need... The DL is the only question mark but if they can just hold their positions the LBs are good enough to clean up the scraps.... Excited for this team and think 9 wins is best case with no injuries and a clean O.... 8 wins is more realistic but hopefully a win vs Sparty

Last edited:
If I had to pick a consistent weakness for Michigan it would be the secondary. They've had some good players here and there but it hasn't been the same since Woodson left. This year we might have our best secondary in a long time, tho.
I'm relatively excited tho, outside of 'Bama I think Michigan will be competitive in every game this year but we have a tough schedule. @ND, @Neb, @Ohio, MSU is at the Big House. I listened to a couple of radio shows in Ann Arbor today and I heard a lot of, "This team will be better than last years team but the record won't reflect it because of the schedule."

Honestly I don't think you guys schedule is that tough. One big OOC game and you guys don't play Wisky again. I don't see how you guys could be better than last year though.

8-4 but 7-5 isn't out of the question.

Last edited:
Mich will go 9-3/10-2.  8-4 if they lose to Sparty again but I don't think they will.

Notre Dame's schedule would piss on my ashes.

Schedule is doing ND no favors....But Golson will flourish regardless :smokin

I'd give us 11 wins but I think we're gonna get smashed up in Blacksburg. Thursday night, Lane Stadium and all that :smh:

Not going to happen.

Wish EJ had the precision and poise of the #2 Trickett, he would be an absolute monster

I don't think we really know how much Poise and precision Trickett has at this moment

I wonder how much Saban will let the Bama OC open the offense up this year w/ how young that defense is? Put a bigger emphasis on scoring more to relieve the D of some of that pressure. Or will they stick to bludgeoning teams to death

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom