*2013 NFC North Trash Talk Thread™ ® --> Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as Head Coach.

Real question. How many games does is take Jordy Nelson to break Calvin's record. 8 games? 10 Games?

ProFootballTalk Power Rankings.

8. Packers
16. Vikings
18. Bears
20. Lions

Fan who won “bet” with Rodgers would take a game check to settle it

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT

After Ryan Braun absorbed a suspension for the balance of the baseball season and seemed to admit that he cheated the game, some (including us) that Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers may have some explaining to do.

Rodgers also may have some paying to do.

At one point during his defense of his friend and business partner (they own a restaurant together), Rodgers expressed sufficient confidence in Braun’s innocence that Rodgers offered to “put my salary next year on it.”

Setting aside fairly significant legal concepts like offer, acceptance, and the legality of the contract given that it arises from, you know, gambling, the man to whom the tweet was directed is willing to make it all go away for far less than half Rodgers’ 2013 salary.

“I’d just take a game check,” Todd Sutton told Lindsay Jones of USA Today.

Given Rodgers’ base salary of $4.5 million, that would be $264,705.88.

Rodgers still hasn’t addressed Bruan’s suspension, on Twitter or otherwise. Chances are he’ll be asked about it during his first training-camp media availability.

Lions, defensive tackle Rocky Bernard to meet

Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 24, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT

The Lions will host free agent defensive tackle Rocky Bernard on Wednesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported.

Bernard (6-3, 301) played 12 games (five starts) in 2012 for the Giants, notching 30 tackles and one sack. He’s the second notable veteran defensive tackle to meet the Lions this week. Previously, the club hosted Justin Bannan, a starter at tackle for Denver in 2012.

A reserve for most of the last four seasons with New York, the 34-year-old Bernard would back up Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley in Detroit.

An 12th-year pro from Texas A&M, Bernard has recorded 380 tackles and 33 sacks. He played his first seven NFL seasons with Seattle (2002-2008).

Lions to work out WRs Breaston, Robinson, Schilens

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 23, 2013, 6:32 AM EDT

The Detroit Lions are continuing to look for help at wide receiver.

The Lions will work out receivers Steve Breaston, Laurent Robinson and Chaz Schilens, Jason La Canfora ‏of CBS reports.

Robinson worked out for the Jets on Monday and also reportedly has drawn interest from the Patriots. A 2007 third-round pick of the Falcons, Robinson has also played for the Rams, Chargers, Cowboys and Jaguars. Robinson has shown promise at times and had a good season for the Cowboys in 2011, but his concussion history is a major red flag.

Breaston has had a quiet offseason, and there were reports in March that a knee injury was giving him problems. Last year he was a total non-factor in Kansas City, catching only seven passes, but he topped 700 receiving yards in four straight seasons from 2008 to 2011.

Schilens played for the Jets last year, catching 28 passes for 289 yards, and played four seasons for the Raiders before that.

The Lions have the best receiver in the NFL in Calvin Johnson, but they don’t have a clear-cut No. 2 receiver. The second and third receivers on their depth chart, Nate Burleson and Ryan Broyles, are both coming off season-ending injuries.

I have no idea what to think about signing Chaz since he's spent his career so far as a Raider and Jet.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Bears DT Sedrick Ellis has not reported to training camp. Ellis has advised the club of his intention to retire from the NFL.

I'm guessing the Bears would have resigned Idonije instead of Ellis if they knew he was going to retire, oh well

There's no team in this division that you can say for sure will be under 500. Even the Lions

Damn somehow Greg Jennings got that heavy flow over the past year...
Leslie Frazier on Greg Jennings' recent comments: "That's not something that we're high on, and he and I are going to talk before we practice [Saturday afternoon]. I've got to grab him. That's not how we do things. We'll talk. We're going to talk about it. He has strong feelings regarding his former team, and that's good. But there is a way to get that communicated, and we've got to sit down and he and I have got to talk a little bit."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/58300/greg-jennings-will-get-a-talk-from-frazier

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs
Jermon Bushrod is wearing a walking boot on his right leg/foot.

What we've learned: Packers' defense
July, 29, 2013

By Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Not surprisingly, for a team that gave up 579 yards of total offense in the 45-31 playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers last season, the Green Bay Packers have more questions than answers about their defense three days into training camp.

But here’s what we’ve learned about the defense so far:

Jones looks the part: When the pads went on for the first time Sunday morning, first-round draft pick Datone Jones’ game went to another level. The defensive end from UCLA eventually will be a three-down player but for now, at the very least, he looks like the most likely candidate to pair with B.J. Raji as the two linemen in defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ nickel and dime packages. “He’s a guy who can rush the quarterback; I can rush the quarterback,” Jones said of Raji. “So I feel like we can get after it a little bit.” The 6-foot-4, 295-pound Jones, who was the 26th overall pick, showed his speed and quickness in the first one-on-one pass-rushing drill of camp.

Jolly’s first step back: There’s no template for a return to the NFL after missing three full seasons because of a suspension, jail time and drug addiction. And after three practices, including just one in pads, it would be foolish to make any definitive evaluation of Johnny Jolly, the once-troubled defensive end who is attempting a heretofore unimaginable comeback. But Jolly, who last played in the NFL in January 2010, has gotten himself back into shape after ballooning to near 400 pounds (he’s listed at 325, although he would only say that both he and the coaches are happy with his weight) and was able to at least exert some force and move around blockers in the early practices. If he can do that -- and a little more -- perhaps there’s a spot for him on a defense that could use help up the middle. “With Johnny, that’s where he always thrived, as an inside player and his ability to get off blocks, his instincts,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “He just needs as much [work] as he can, but we also have him on a rep count, too, because we have to be realistic about where he is.”

Cornerback concerns: The Packers still think veteran Tramon Williams can return to his 2010 form, when he was one of the key defensive players during the run to Super Bowl XLV, but after two sub-par seasons and a $5.9 million base salary in 2013, Williams needs a bounce-back performance. He dropped out halfway through Sunday’s practice because of a knee injury that isn’t believed to be serious, but this position has been hit hard by injuries. Casey Hayward, who led all rookies last season with six interceptions, is expected to miss the first two weeks of camp because of a hamstring injury he sustained while working out on his own. Davon House, who was a strong contender for a starting job last year at this time before he sustained a shoulder injury in the preseason opener, hasn’t practiced yet, either. On the bright side, rookie Micah Hyde, a fifth-round pick from Iowa, has been one of the early surprises of camp, earning praise from McCarthy after the first practice. “If you had asked me who was the one player that jumped out to me today, I’d say it was Micah,” McCarthy said.

Last edited:
Last year was a fluke. Sabotaged by poor coaching decisions (not expected to change :rolleyes), A CERTAIN WR WHO SHALL GO UNNAMED, and an infestation of the injury bug. This year we right back at y'all mahs...
- Vikes = flash in a pan, if you think AP will repeat you might be suffering from lack of oxygen
- Pack will continue their decline; you have no run game and just lost one of your best receivers :lol: defense will still get toasted every week
- Bears are still old and getting older, still relying on the same two players to score, and still have a bum's bum under center
Keep sleeping on my Lions, boys. Keep sleeping...

JPZ, I want to make a bet, too. Not for money. If the Lions finish ahead of the Vikes in the standings this year, you have to start actually listing Lions fans in the OP. People who casually read this thread probably don't believe we exist. We are not unicorns or leprechauns. We are people, too.

Last year was a fluke. Sabotaged by poor coaching decisions (not expected to change
eyes.gif
), A CERTAIN WR WHO SHALL GO UNNAMED, and an infestation of the injury bug. This year we right back at y'all mahs...
- Vikes = flash in a pan, if you think AP will repeat you might be suffering from lack of oxygen
- Pack will continue their decline; you have no run game and just lost one of your best receivers
laugh.gif
defense will still get toasted every week

- Bears are still old and getting older, still relying on the same two players to score, and still have a bum's bum under center
If you want JPZ to list lions fans in the OP then ya'll gotta start saying smarter stuff than this. 

Greg missed plenty of games and Rodgers kept on truckin. New guys gonna step up and Jones/Jordy both belong on the outside.  Cobb is going to be a beast again and likely to get 100+ grabs.

Not sure if serious about the run game.  Lacy looking good in camp and Franklin is going to be just as good if not better than him.

If you wanna knock the offense then have your doubts about the OL since its been shown that the coaches haven't gotten that back on the rails in the last 3 years.

Defense will be markedly better than last year. Belee dat.

Last year was a fluke. Sabotaged by poor coaching decisions (not expected to change :rolleyes), A CERTAIN WR WHO SHALL GO UNNAMED, and an infestation of the injury bug. This year we right back at y'all mahs...
- Pack will continue their decline; you have no run game and just lost one of your best receivers :lol: defense will still get toasted every week

That bum has a better W-L record than your bum under center. Nothing more than a fantasy QB.

Last edited:

Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennet, Bennet.....pretty sure thats more than two scoring options. Plus a motivated Cutler in a contract year. In fact, the FO isnt extending anyone until after the season, We good homie. Worry about your kitty cats.

Such an intriguing division. Honestly don't know what's can happen. 3 top players in the league in this division (Rodgers megatron AP) can't wait for the season to start. Not gonna make any crazy predictions on playoffs just yet but all I gotta say is healthy Louis Delmas = 10-6 for the lions. If he doesn't stay healthy = 6-10. He makes us that much better

Back
Top Bottom