2014-15 Lakers Season Thread (21-61) KAT

This summer, if the chance comes, Love, Rondo, Neither, or Both?

• Love

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rondo

• Neither

• Both

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to get off that damn page, what the hell did you guys put in there? :lol:

Finally, much better.

Last edited:
HOUSTON -- Dwight Howard sat out Wednesday's 98-92 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers with a sprained right knee, but the Houston Rockets center was still a topic of discussion for his former teammate, Lakers star Kobe Bryant.

Bryant was asked after the game whether he considers Howard to be a "p---y," the term Oklahoma City star Kevin Durant was overheard calling Howard during a recent game.

"No, I don't feel that way. I don't think Kevin does, either," said Bryant, who scored a game-high 29 points against the Rockets. "In moments of confrontation during a game, you'll say things in the heat of the moment.

"I know Dwight. I'm sure Kevin does. We don't really feel that way about him. It's like when you get in an argument with somebody, you'll say things out of frustration, out of anger, that you don't really mean."

Bryant and Howard were Lakers teammates during the 2012-13 season, when they often clashed before Howard eventually departed to join the Rockets as a free agent.

Then when they faced off Oct. 28 in Los Angeles, a 108-90 Rockets win, Howard elbowed Bryant in the chin after grabbing an offensive rebound, and the two had to be separated, although that didn't stop them from trash-talking each other, eventually drawing technical fouls.

In that game, Bryant was heard calling Howard "soft," among other things.

"Heat of the battle, heat of the moment," Bryant said of his comments. "You [reporters] have all been in arguments, you guys that are married. Sometimes you say things that you wish you could take back that you don't really mean. But it's in the heat of confrontation, and sometimes things come out."

Bryant said he has grown more concerned about trash-talking opponents in the digital age.

"Well, in the moment, no. In hindsight, yes," he said. "Especially now with social media and [the fact that] everybody has a camera. You try to be as conscious as possible to the fact that kids are watching."

This right here, is progress.

23 year old Kobe would not say this when dealing with Shaq, he'd keep being stubborn.

Old man Kobe has learned, and downplays any issue with Dwight, despite what he may truly feel about the guy.

It's too bad we didn't have this in 2004 so they could settle their differences, but Shaq went on to feud/bad mouth Wade/Riley, and then Nash/Suns after leaving those teams. So we have proof, it wasn't just Kobe bein stubborn. :lol:

This right here, is progress.

23 year old Kobe would not say this when dealing with Shaq, he'd keep being stubborn.

Old man Kobe has learned, and downplays any issue with Dwight, despite what he may truly feel about the guy.

It's too bad we didn't have this in 2004 so they could settle their differences, but Shaq went on to feud/bad mouth Wade/Riley, and then Nash/Suns after leaving those teams. So we have proof, it wasn't just Kobe bein stubborn. :lol:

You could just say that he is good with the way he handles the media. I wish the media blew this article up. Shame on people wanting to start crap. Kobe respects father time. Like any body that has gone through life, that gray hair, wrinkle, scar will make you grow up and appreciate things a bit more.

Ding:
In Nick Young, Kobe Finds Partnership He Failed to Develop with Dwight Howard

Even on a night when Kobe Bryant was as nice as could be toward Dwight Howard, the reasons why their partnership didn't flower were prevalent.

Bryant, who has some experience in the burning spotlight that being accused brings, might have felt a little sympathy in light of the controversy enveloping Howard with Georgia police investigating allegations Howard abused his son. He was probably appreciative that Howard surprisingly sat out the Lakers' 98-92 victory over the Rockets on Wednesday night.

In any case, Bryant tried to take some heat off Howard, backing off the "You're soft, you ************" in-game commentary he offered three weeks ago.

When asked about those Oct. 28 words upon absorbing Howard's elbow, Bryant said: "Heat of the moment. You guys have all been in arguments. You guys who are married, you guys know how that goes. You argue; sometimes you say things that you want to take back, that you don't really mean. But it's in the heat of confrontation, and sometimes things come out."

Bryant also did not pile on after Kevin Durant told Howard repeatedly, "You're a p----y," in their on-court argument Sunday night.

"No, I don't feel that way. And I don't think Kevin does either," Bryant said. "In moments of confrontation during a game, you'll say things.

"I know Dwight. I'm sure Kevin does. We don't really feel that way about him. It's like when you get in an argument with somebody, you'll say things out of frustration and out of anger that you don't really mean."

So how was it that the Lakers' 98-92 victory over the Rockets was a statement on Howard?

It wasn't that Howard didn't play—even after being in uniform, according to the Houston Chronicle, and seemingly ready to go—because of a right knee strain.

It was that Nick Young did play.

Bryant and Young might never win a championship together either, but their relationship of one-plus years already works as a testimonial for how a big-grinning, fun-loving goofball can be a teammate Bryant adores.

Bryant sought out Young in particular for an extra high-five and hug before leaving the court Wednesday night. Before that, Young had already chest-bumped every other member of the Lakers organization he could find, his head held noticeably high.

"I'm very happy to have him back," Bryant said.

The Lakers were 1-9 without Young, who tore a ligament in his right thumb trying to steal the ball from Bryant in practice (and good-naturedly absorbed Bryant's ribbing that he shouldn't have been reaching on defense or challenging a body that Bryant told him is "made of steel").

With Young, the Lakers are 2-0.

"I leave a presence," Young said. "I'm like Michael Jackson, Prince, all those other guys."

The really funny thing is that there is truth to the swag.

The whole Swaggy P creation only works if people enjoy being around the persona. And they really do.

Young came out for pregame shooting Wednesday night at Toyota Center, and besides the assembled Lakers fans who all cheered, assistant coaches J.J. Outlaw and Thomas Scott rushed over with smiles, truly giddy to see Young back out there for his second game of the season.

When talking pregame about Young, Byron Scott was asked about his shooting contests with Young and the Lakers head coach flaunted some of his own swag, quipping: "Hasn't been a contest yet." Jordan Hill's postgame interview with Time Warner Cable SportsNet's Mike Trudell morphed into a chirpy duet with Young, as so often happens with events around Young becoming inclusive in an organic way.

Young's ability to laugh at himself is one of the keys to it. His unabashed pride at being a Laker is another.

But Bryant shared the crux of it for him in a statement before the season:

"He understands in order to be Swaggy P and for people to pay attention to Swaggy P, he's got to put that work in on the court," Bryant said, "or no one's going to give a s--t."

Despite being just a half-year older than Howard, whose mechanical post moves and poor free-throw shooting have remained stunted, Young has showed he cares about growing his game—something Bryant fundamentally respects.

When Bryant, who admits copying everything he can, was asked by B/R if he has ever stolen one of Young's moves, he laughed and said no—but then pointed out that Young has stolen all of Bryant's.

Bryant didn't mean it in his often self-aggrandizing way; it was a real tribute to how Young, urged by Bryant to study more video last season, has economized his game.

"We worked on that stuff a lot last year, worked on it a lot over the summer," Bryant said. "It has been a big change in his game. In the past, he used handle the ball a lot, dribbling five or six times. Now you see him catching, one dribble, pull-up shot. Two dribbles, pull-up shot."

Bryant was clear about his goal for Young and his streamlined game this season.

"Have him be Sixth Man of the Year," Bryant said.

Young's defense has also improved, and he hustled on close-outs better than Bryant repeatedly Wednesday night. It's to the point where Young's mistakes are the clear exception, not the rule: Scott came up with just "one time" when Young got caught not helping on defense against the Rockets.

Young also came back early from this injury, his first surgery ever, and beat his medical timetable—a longtime Bryant hallmark. Projected out eight weeks with a complete tear of his radial collateral ligament, Young returned in six and is playing with the thumb still wrapped.

They make for an odd couple, Bryant and Young. They have so many reasons not to want to play together considering the similarities in their shot-happy games.

Yet here they are.

It just goes to show that even to someone who loves to shoot, there are things more important than shots.

And to someone such as Bryant, whether you're soft or swaggy in the stuff you enjoy doing, you'd better find time to be serious about the effort you put into your craft.
Link

AMAZING.

Last edited:
That's crazy, I thought Kobe was going to murder Young, but it's going the other way. :lol:

Truth is, Nick is the fist guy that has ever played with Kobe with similar styles, right? Ariza couldn't even dribble, Shannon was, meh, but Nick is the first guy I can think of that can get his own shot, any time he needs or wants it. Kobe's never had one, oh wait, Eddie back in 98-99 could, when Kobe was 19. :lol:

Kobe has Nick Young watching tape, playing thru injuries, and even trying on D. *speechless*

My mind is bottled. Thought sure they would be fighting over shots, it's the perfect marriage of chuckers.

could this be seen as leadership or being a good teammate?

the only other time kobe has been on a team with a bunch of talented playmakers was team USA and all he wanted to do was lock up the other teams best player while letting the other guys handle the offense

I could of sworn awhile ago I said Kobe would LOVE to play with Nick, not hate it...

/endCP&Pitoldyousocomment

But for reals, it shouldn't be surprising if you think about it. With Wes Johnson and Carlose Boozer as his main offensive weapons, you had to figure Kobe was DYING for some help offensively.

True, I guess there's some truth to that statement that he doesn't want to HAVE to shoot 30 times a game, but will do it if necessary. Hopefully Nick will continue to alleviate some of the pressure off of Kobe.

I could of sworn awhile ago I said Kobe would LOVE to play with Nick, not hate it...

/endCP&Pitoldyousocomment

But for reals, it shouldn't be surprising if you think about it. With Wes Johnson and Carlose Boozer as his main offensive weapons, you had to figure Kobe was DYING for some help offensively.

i said it too. Most greats look for someone to pass their knowledge and wisdom on to. Especially if they can't do it to a son. They look for another heir apparent. It just take time to find one worthy and even more so, capable, to take on the challenge. The funny thing is, personality wise, nick is every bit dwight howard. Only difference is in how he plays the game and how serious he takes it. I'm sure kobe has some clown in him somewhere, deep down, but he's been the tough old guy for so long, he missed out on those years to just have fun on the court, and have his teammates look at him as a buddy. I think he appreciates that nick is infectious like that. Everybody loves the guy, wherever he goes. I think kobe lives vicariously through that. Like a little brother that you can help mentor and help avoid all of the mistakes you made.

Yall wildin out w/ Nick Young.  Dude got windshield wiped by Kobe during his Wizard days.  LOL  I gotta admit it though, Young does look good (SUBJECTIVELY SPEAKIN), but it's just a blip.

Last edited:
if you work hard to improve and take things seriously kobe will respect you, no matter how silly you are

As they say, winning cures everything.  Kobe might've gone on some kind of vent or rant. lol

And no birthday wish for Mr. Black Ice?

Happy Birthday to Boozer...I guess.
smokin.gif
LOL at the I GUESS>

Dude's been holding it down in the paint.  In the games that we do 'win' (3), he's been okay ish ish.

Dude's a beast at 6'9" playing PF in the WEST. lolz
indifferent.gif

That Bryan Cook x Kobe Collabo 2 :wink:

Kobe clearly has studied the art of war with those dwight comments

There is something magical about kobe getting an assist to nick

Glad people are starting to warm up to young nick. He improves your chances of competing. Some might see that as a bad thing for this current situation but he's a real player, no denying it

Who's singing a different tune?

I myself am fine with the Hawks win, it's good for everyone to get off the whole "1" win thing, but last night we beat a team with no Howard, and no Jones. (Starting C-PF) And we won on the grace of Wes Johnson. :lol:

If we can remove every team's starting Center and Power Forward, THEN I would sing a different tune. I think we could make the playoffs that way. Just remove 2 starters per team, and we're in this. :pimp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom