**2014-2015 CLEVELAND CAVALIERS THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even really care about their offense b/c I know offensive talents are there and they will gel over time. But that defense... man that defense... It was hard to watch especially in 1st half when the Cavs paint got DOMINATED by Favors, Kanter and Gobert. And on top of that, I can see a lot of perimeter players (I'm looking at you, Bron and Dion) are trying to cheat their ways when playing against pick and roll. The results? free open lanes for both the ballhandler and the screen man. It got a little better in 3rd quarter, but this team needs to get WAY better at playing defense. I don't care how many points they score off of 1-on-1 basketball. If they can't get stops on the other end, there's no way they will be competing for the championship come playoff time.

Man tough loss but great shot, glad we came out with some D in the 2nd half, def gotta have the offense move through K Love and Bron on some pick and pops, Kyrie great shooting game but we won't be going far with our PG dropping 30 and no Ast.

All time Cavs record for lowest assists in a game. Wasn't expecting that to ever occur with this roster.

That's a shame.

You have to expect this though. Tonight was proof. It's a learning and adjusting process. 3 out of 5 starters on our team are accustomed to having the ball consistently move through them to be effective. Each player has to find their role and stick with it, and that will take time before it happens.

The rotations arent helping either, but that's a coaching issue.

I don't even really care about their offense b/c I know offensive talents are there and they will gel over time. But that defense... man that defense... It was hard to watch especially in 1st half when the Cavs paint got DOMINATED by Favors, Kanter and Gobert. And on top of that, I can see a lot of perimeter players (I'm looking at you, Bron and Dion) are trying to cheat their ways when playing against pick and roll. The results? free open lanes for both the ballhandler and the screen man. It got a little better in 3rd quarter, but this team needs to get WAY better at playing defense. I don't care how many points they score off of 1-on-1 basketball. If they can't get stops on the other end, there's no way they will be competing for the championship come playoff time.

This.
Offense wins games, but defense wins championships.
WIthout the consistent good defense, they surely cannot make it to the NBA Finals.
Am not amused about the 1win and 3 losses. Far away from my expectations.

Last edited:
8 players that played. .. This isn't AAU blatt... and it was a 2nd game of a back to back
Blatt with that thibs coaching

It's worst than Thibs. Even Shawn Marion admitted in the post-game interview that he's witness 7 different line-ups in practice, and through all that - Blatt still decides to play only 8 players.

Than starts Shawn Marion over Dion after 3 games. How is that even smart coaching? When do you expect your players to mesh together when you're consistently changing up the starting 5.

I didn't catch Blatt running any plays through Kyrie at all. That boggles my mind.

All time Cavs record for lowest assists in a game. Wasn't expecting that to ever occur with this roster.

That's a shame.

You have to expect this though. Tonight was proof. It's a learning and adjusting process. 3 out of 5 starters on our team are accustomed to having the ball consistently move through them to be effective. Each player has to find their role and stick with it, and that will take time before it happens.

Saw your other thread now, congrats on the marriage FAM, like I said in other thread, next time you out with the wife, drinks on me!

Waiters reminds me of Stacey King from the first Bulls 3-peat - he's a black hole, throw him the ball he's putting his head down and going to the rim. He's not the only problem but he has to know he's not a typical 2 guard on this team.

Blatt with that thibs coaching
Too early to tell but Blatt may ultimately not be the right man for the job. Risky gamble by Gilbert and Griffin. Then again, the Cavs could easily run off a 7-game winning streak and put the panic to bed.

That's a shame.

Saw your other thread now, congrats on the marriage FAM, like I said in other thread, next time you out with the wife, drinks on me!

Appreciate that JJ. I'm sure we'll be bumping into each other again sometime downtown lol.

Next time you're downtown on a Thursday Friday, hit me up. My friend is part-owner of the Bank nightclub, I'll get you and yours boys in VIP with us..

That was much better - still not a great game, but good and a W which is always good.

It's funny I was thinking about the team earlier and then the commentators (Denver people as my League Pass only gets the home feed) were talking about Lebron being the primary ball-handler.

I think that is interesting - and as often my references are from 90s Bulls teams. Those teams were obviously successful without a traditional PG and without a dominant center. I think Lebron would fit better at the 2 with Kyrie and it would just be a 2 guard thing - I'm not saying that Kyrie would become Paxson/BJ/Kerr as he's more than that, but that they would both be combo-guards. It worked with MJ in the 91 Finals and it worked with Ron Harper too.

I also thought it was strange that Marion started at the 2 - he's fairly tall, not a ball-handler, not a shooter... It feels like he'd be more useful at the 3. Not sure he's the right starter anyway.

Marion was put in the starting lineup primarily for his D. He put a clamp on Afflalo... I think he went scoreless? On Offense, he operated like a 3 while Bron was the primary ballhandler many times. I guess Blatt wants to bolster the team's defense first and foremost, and that's why he went with Marion in the starting lineup.

I'm also glad that Blatt was able to convince Dion to come off the bench. Whole world knew that Dion would be great as a sixth man for this team, but Dion did not want to accept that and Mike Brown did not have balls to do it last year.

However, I think starting Marion is not the final solution for this team. Either Waiters becomes a ball-hawking defender and a reliable slasher/catch-shooter and comes back into the starting lineup, or Cavs front office needs to bring in a 3-and-D guy through a trade.

Last year there was a rumor that Dion might be traded for Iman Shumpert. I did not like that idea back then because Dion is definitely a better scorer than Shumpert, but now that trade looks a lot more enticing.

Yeah, good points. Now we can see how the players fit a trade is possible.

That's a shame.

Appreciate that JJ. I'm sure we'll be bumping into each other again sometime downtown lol.

Next time you're downtown on a Thursday Friday, hit me up. My friend is part-owner of the Bank nightclub, I'll get you and yours boys in VIP with us..

Sounds good to me FAM, is your boy Rell?

Sos is my boy actually, he co-owns it with Rell and his boys. The Bank club ownership is split between 4 people.

Sos is the middle-eastern dude; with a beard - a little shorter height and always wearing his hat to the back.

Just hit me whenever you down there, just a quick text or phonecall away can get you in.

Going to the game tonight!!

Section 123 row 6.

So pumped.

I got pics from opening night as well that I'll post later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom